BDP

Author
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 10:25 PM
Micko - 1 Apr 2024 10:02 PM

Nothing to lose by starting Curran we have too many similar players, need to shift the mix to more attacking.

This week we have a few out so Salmon is in the mix.

First trial I was impressed with Salmon, after that I started to notice the lack of threat running the ball, a lack of variety and width in passing, errors and penalties.

Like most of our team, I can’t fault the effort, but the Souths game showed how far effort can take us without smarts, skill and execution. 

That last paragraph hits the nail straight on the head. It’s also why there is plenty of hope once we have some more talented players. 

A top halfback and we most likely win the South's and Cronulla games. 

Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 7:19 PM
It is slightly harder starting but the stat's show Salmon is not as good as Mann and Curran.

Curran zero errors in 4 games the other guys 2 errors in 4 games which is too many.

I didn't list penalties but that stat also isn't good for Salmon.

The stat's back up what my eyes are seeing the other 2 guys are better players than Salmon.

He isn't a starting lock, he isn't in my top 17, one or 2 injuries and he is definitely in the 17. Most of his NRL career to date has been like that.

I disagree.
You cant look at stats alone. You have to look at them in the context of where they occur on the field, at what stages of the game and scoreline, amongst other things.

No doubt Curran and Mann have better running metres. But a 1 on 1 missed tackle resulting in a try or line break is not the same as one missed in a gang tackle that doesn't result in points or a line break.

This is why i ignore Mahoneys missed tackle tally. Its a useless stat unless you're watching the game and unless it results in point conceded.

Salmon has added starch in the middle defence and so far we have built our gameplan on defence. On that basis, id be loathed to drop him or move him. We can try it if necessary but you might find tye bucket has holes elsewhere...
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 10:25 PM
Micko - 1 Apr 2024 10:02 PM

Nothing to lose by starting Curran we have too many similar players, need to shift the mix to more attacking.

This week we have a few out so Salmon is in the mix.

First trial I was impressed with Salmon, after that I started to notice the lack of threat running the ball, a lack of variety and width in passing, errors and penalties.

Like most of our team, I can’t fault the effort, but the Souths game showed how far effort can take us without smarts, skill and execution. 

Bingo on the last paragraph and last line in particular. This is why i hated the Des era...

He was so big on effort and conpletions that he was (IS) blindsided and doesn't realise you need some skill and smarts to turn effort into points.

He was lucky he had DCE and Turbos at Manly.
He'll be lucky to see out the year at Titans.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Our other problem is Hughes and Knight only played 14 minutes each.

Farmer can only play short stints.

We would but stuffed without King who played 54 minutes and does a lot of work in attack and defence every game.

I assume Patolo and Tetevano are still trying to build fitness in reserve grade.

One reason why Curran might not be starting at lock is that we need him in the prop rotation.

I still think that Hughes and Patolo have some potential.

We need to try to work the interchange so that Hughes comes on after 30 mins and gets a break at half-time.

I am rethinking my selection until they get fitter we can't afford all 3 of Hughes, Knight and Farmer in the side. We can't have one prop playing 60 mins while the other 3 play 40 mins. And if we get a HIA to a forward who plays long minutes it will not go well.

The style of defence we play means that middle forwards need to work. The style is right, we just need fitter players.

While this season is an improvement, we still have lots of stuff we need to fix.
Edited
Last Month by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

I like the look of this week's side.
Hughes is starting.
Knight moved to the bench.
Curran moving to the backrow to replace Presto.
Edwards and Hello Kitty on the bench.
So we have retained the workrate and added a Japanese icon.
Overall probably the biggest pack we have fielded this year,.
Edited
Last Month by hounddog
Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 2 Apr 2024 3:33 PM
Our other problem is Hughes and Knight only played 14 minutes each.

Farmer can only play short stints.

We would but stuffed without King who played 54 minutes and does a lot of work in attack and defence every game.

I assume Patolo and Tetevano are still trying to build fitness in reserve grade.

One reason why Curran might not be starting at lock is that we need him in the prop rotation.

I still think that Hughes and Patolo have some potential.

We need to try to work the interchange so that Hughes comes on after 30 mins and gets a break at half-time.

I am rethinking my selection until they get fitter we can't afford all 3 of Hughes, Knight and Farmer in the side. We can't have one prop playing 60 mins while the other 3 play 40 mins. And if we get a HIA to a forward who plays long minutes it will not go well.

The style of defence we play means that middle forwards need to work. The style is right, we just need fitter players.

While this season is an improvement, we still have lots of stuff we need to fix.

Yeah the rotations i find intriguing....
Im not convinced CC has them down pat. In fact i feel they are not quite right. Something must be happening behind the scenes that we are not aware of. Could be fitness as you have noted.

I still think that starting forwards should be able to play 35-40mins per game easily. If they are doing 20mins of the start of a game, i cant see why they cant do another 15-20mins in the second half.

If they cant provide a min 30mins per game, they shouldnt be in first grade. 

Mind you, if we score at least 5 tries a game and concede around 3, that's a good 8 x 1minute stoppages they can catch their breathe on whike waiting for conversions. If some also go to the bunker begore being awarded, thats afew extra mins also. 

Having 2 forwards playing less than 20mins is shooting yourself in the foot in the modern game.

Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 2 Apr 2024 4:31 PM
I like the look of this week's side.
Hughes is starting.
Knight moved to the bench.
Curran moving to the backrow to replace Presto.
Edwards and Hello Kitty on the bench.
So we have retained the workrate and added a Japanese icon.
Overall probably the biggest pack we have fielded this year,.

Ok so it looks like CC realises we need size up front to match it with the roosters pack.

Playing devils advocate here...it looks like Salmon, Mann and Kiraz are the key players should one of the backs goes down or HIA...

1) If we lose Taaffe, Tracey goes to FB, Kiraz to wing and Fish or Mann to centre
2) If we lose a winger, its Kiraz to wing and one of those 2 at centre
3) If we lose a centre, its one of those 2 at centre
4) If we lose a half, its Mann as replacement
5) If we lose Mahoney, its Mann as replacement hooker

I think this is why Fish and Mann are automatic selections in the team. CC likes their versatility and uses them as the backups to cover all positions other than prop forwards.

It will likely rain alot on Friday and shoukd be a low scoring game. This could fall in favour as we dont score enough tries but have priven we can defend well. 

If we dan get to 20 points, we should be hard to beat. Might need to take penalty shots at goal if they present themselves and keep scoreboard pressure
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 2 Apr 2024 5:23 PM
hounddog - 2 Apr 2024 4:31 PM

Ok so it looks like CC realises we need size up front to match it with the roosters pack.

Playing devils advocate here...it looks like Salmon, Mann and Kiraz are the key players should one of the backs goes down or HIA...

1) If we lose Taaffe, Tracey goes to FB, Kiraz to wing and Fish or Mann to centre
2) If we lose a winger, its Kiraz to wing and one of those 2 at centre
3) If we lose a centre, its one of those 2 at centre
4) If we lose a half, its Mann as replacement
5) If we lose Mahoney, its Mann as replacement hooker

I think this is why Fish and Mann are automatic selections in the team. CC likes their versatility and uses them as the backups to cover all positions other than prop forwards.

It will likely rain alot on Friday and shoukd be a low scoring game. This could fall in favour as we dont score enough tries but have priven we can defend well. 

If we dan get to 20 points, we should be hard to beat. Might need to take penalty shots at goal if they present themselves and keep scoreboard pressure

Yes I think one or both of Mann and Fish are essential to cover the outside backs.

I think Morrin can play hooker or even centre but he is suspended.

Hello Kitty or Kiks might be able to play centre.

I'm very interested to see how Hello Kitty goes, I have been impressed with what I have seen of him.
I also rate Edwards even though he was a bit mixed last season, he is potentially a very good lock.

Overall I think CC has picked what is close to the best available side.

Even if we want to promote Sexton this might not be the right time.

So far the Titans look like the worst side in the comp and Souths are very ordinary inspite of having some good players.
So we have only beaten a poor side and lost our last game against one of the out of form sides.

The comp is very even this season and we are competitive enough to be a chance most weeks. The Roosters are a top 4 side and in form a very tough game for us, not totally impossible but at the unlikely end of the scale.

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Looking at the draw we need to win at least one of our next 3 preferably 2.

If we get rolled by the Roosters, I still give us a chance against the Storm and Knights.
Sean
Sean
Weekender
Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)

Is there any half back options apart from Sezar? N
Not having a decent halfback os killing us. Persisting with Hutch is madness. Sexton is better. Taffe is better....anyone but Hutch. 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Sean - 2 Apr 2024 9:08 PM
Is there any half back options apart from Sezar? N
Not having a decent halfback os killing us. Persisting with Hutch is madness. Sexton is better. Taffe is better....anyone but Hutch. 

Nothing in Aus.... 
And the ones that were allegedly available were -
-not actually available...
-would destroy a cap for 5 years ..
-untested as the main man or a 7...
-or no record of getting it done when the game gets tough ...

Its 7exy all day for me until the youngsters step up ..
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 3 Apr 2024 8:12 PM
Sean - 2 Apr 2024 9:08 PM

Nothing in Aus.... 
And the ones that were allegedly available were -
-not actually available...
-would destroy a cap for 5 years ..
-untested as the main man or a 7...
-or no record of getting it done when the game gets tough ...

Its 7exy all day for me until the youngsters step up ..

Well he is in the extended team for NRL.

But he is named in reserve grade.

I am interested to see how Hughes goes starting.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 3 Apr 2024 10:21 PM
dman2018 - 3 Apr 2024 8:12 PM

Well he is in the extended team for NRL.

But he is named in reserve grade.

I am interested to see how Hughes goes starting.

Will be very interesting... He doesn't exactly have a lot of minutes under his belt with the bench rotation this year... 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 4 Apr 2024 11:25 AM
hounddog - 3 Apr 2024 10:21 PM

Will be very interesting... He doesn't exactly have a lot of minutes under his belt with the bench rotation this year... 

Gus said that the coach was bringing Hughes along slowly, now it is time to unleash him.

Any improvement our side has this season needs to start in the forwards.

I think that it is probably similar for other roles, bringing players along at the right pace, experimenting in reserve grade.

If the listed team can be believed there is an interesting experiment happening in reserve grade this week.  Hayward is starting at lock, BBO at hooker, Sexton partnering O'Neill in the halves.

In reserve grade trying players in different roles and occasionally taking them out of their comfort zone seems to be more important than winning.

For the Sexton supporters, if the coaches want to see how he combines with O’Neill that is a positive sign as it is a potential future NRL halves pairing.

I am also interested if Hayward and BBO are being developed to play a no 14 role off the bench. 

I think we need to build slowly and systematically, so players get their chance at NRL when the coaches think they are ready.

We did throw a few young guys in at the deep end last season and appart from Preston and Wilson, they all sank.
Edited
Last Month by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

hounddog - 4 Apr 2024 12:43 PM
dman2018 - 4 Apr 2024 11:25 AM

Gus said that the coach was bringing Hughes along slowly, now it is time to unleash him.

Any improvement our side has this season needs to start in the forwards.

I think that it is probably similar for other roles, bringing players along at the right pace, experimenting in reserve grade.

If the listed team can be believed there is an interesting experiment happening in reserve grade this week.  Hayward is starting at lock, BBO at hooker, Sexton partnering O'Neill in the halves.

In reserve grade trying players in different roles and occasionally taking them out of their comfort zone seems to be more important than winning.

For the Sexton supporters, if the coaches want to see how he combines with O’Neill that is a positive sign as it is a potential future NRL halves pairing.

I am also interested if Hayward and BBO are being developed to play a no 14 role off the bench. 

I think we need to build slowly and systematically, so players get their chance at NRL when the coaches think they are ready.

We did throw a few young guys in at the deep end last season and appart from Preston and Wilson, they all sank.

Hayward certainly could play first grade soon. Problem is we have too many utilities already. 

What Gus did say is that Patolo is on the extended bench and is close to playing. It sounded like he was hinting that he will play this week. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 4 Apr 2024 1:59 PM
hounddog - 4 Apr 2024 12:43 PM

Hayward certainly could play first grade soon. Problem is we have too many utilities already. 

What Gus did say is that Patolo is on the extended bench and is close to playing. It sounded like he was hinting that he will play this week. 

I also rate Patolo.

Patolo and Hughes are my big hopes for improving our middles.

Sutton and Tetevano may play a role for a year or 2.

Farmer and Fifita are long term prospects a year or 2 away from their best form.

Knight needs to improve to remain in regular NRL.

Max The King is a legend.

Our forwards are lacking a leader with size but our depth is good.

That is the main difference this season, appart from fitness and desire we have more depth.  That means when we get a few injuries the replacements can step up. 

Last season our squad was skinny compounded with injuries, we had to play guys that were not at the time NRL standard and/or guys had to play with injuries. Often many of the team still tried hard last season.

This season we are also trying hard and have narrowed the gap to the other sides.

Our best hope against the Chooks is an old fashioned ambush with them stuck in first gear. Stranger things have happened, but I would not bet my house on it.
Edited
Last Month by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Sounds like Patolo in for Knight. I hope he gos well
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 5 Apr 2024 11:59 AM
Sounds like Patolo in for Knight. I hope he gos well

Knight has been surprisingly ordinary better in the NRL than the trials but not denting the line in attack.

In fairness Knight did cut out the errors and penalties and improved his defence. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

I see fixing the forwards as critical because if our forwards lose the battle, it is hard for the rest of the team and hard to judge them.

If the forwards can compete then the spine don't have an excuse.

If the forwards can match it, Cirro might then be happy to pick Sexton. 

If is much easier for a half when the forwards are able to match the opposition.

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

hounddog - 5 Apr 2024 4:44 PM
I see fixing the forwards as critical because if our forwards lose the battle, it is hard for the rest of the team and hard to judge them.

If the forwards can compete then the spine don't have an excuse.

If the forwards can match it, Cirro might then be happy to pick Sexton. 

If is much easier for a half when the forwards are able to match the opposition.

We just need a couple of experienced middles. Gus said on his podcast when asked about signing Lomax. ‘Can he play prop?’ Which is great to hear. It shows Gus is after the right position. I’m pretty confident he is after a halfback as well. But it a lot harder to say that and keep everybody happy. 

Also. If you don’t listen to Masons podcast you should. All dog’s supporters should. Masons knowledge of the game is very good. Surprisingly a smart footy player. Mentions Mitch Woods a bit. I can’t wait for this kid to make the grade. 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

One thing Gould said that was interesting. Is that sometimes he needs to sign older players and ask younger players to wait for their time. 

He did that with Mahoney and Luai at Penrith. I wouldn’t be surprised if a similar thing happens to us. 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Bronson in
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 5 Apr 2024 5:01 PM
hounddog - 5 Apr 2024 4:44 PM

We just need a couple of experienced middles. Gus said on his podcast when asked about signing Lomax. ‘Can he play prop?’ Which is great to hear. It shows Gus is after the right position. I’m pretty confident he is after a halfback as well. But it a lot harder to say that and keep everybody happy. 

Also. If you don’t listen to Masons podcast you should. All dog’s supporters should. Masons knowledge of the game is very good. Surprisingly a smart footy player. Mentions Mitch Woods a bit. I can’t wait for this kid to make the grade. 

I listen to Mase on the levels podcast via YouTube.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 5 Apr 2024 5:08 PM
Bronson in

Also Salmon to second row Mann starting.

Good to see us trying things.

I would always experiment in a game that will be tough to win.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

C'mon boys!!!...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Fekk yeah!!!
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Great start.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Hutch on the 4th.... 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Manncrush!!!...
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Loving this!!!!
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search