BDP

Author
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Marki - 31 Mar 2024 9:42 PM
dman2018 - 31 Mar 2024 6:11 PM

I tend to agree with this.
Mann does alot of jinking (sometimes too much).
He wouldn't look out of sorts in the centres and probably should have the first optiom to play there while we had injuries and HIAs.

He needs to cut oit some of that jinking coz at times he looks like he jinks back towards the player he just beat.

Mann is a good player in attack and defence. 

Our problem is guys trying to solve the problem in attack by themselves and doing too much.

No problem with Mann at first receiver he throws a good long pass, but if the halves are calling for the ball he should pass it to them.

If the halves are not set up for a play then ad lib.

I want to see what the team can achieve if we become well organised and work together, taking more good  options. Get the ball to Kiks and Taaffe at the right times, we should be able score enough points. 

Not sure that the guys can get our act together, as per the defence, we need a style and an identity.
A bit of jinking can draw defenders to Mann providing the opportunity to pass to a guy in space. Taaffe and some of our backs should be running off him. Fast guys through a gap in the middle. If he simply jinks at slow speed and no one makes a run it will not do much.

I have noticed Taaffe positioning himself to run off Hutch once or twice that went close to working. I also don't mind wingers occasionally drifting in field and looking for a gap up the middle.

We can't simply be a threat on the edges, down mainstreet is where the big boys are often tired and slow to move.

I want to see what Jason Taylor has to offer as an attacking coach, I am hoping he knows what we should be doing. 

Edited
2 Months Ago by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Sticky sometimes does a very entertaining presser.

I want Canberra to lose for the after match entertainment.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

hounddog - 31 Mar 2024 9:57 PM
Marki - 31 Mar 2024 9:42 PM

Mann is a good player in attack and defence. 

Our problem is guys trying to solve the problem in attack by themselves and doing too much.

No problem with Mann at first receiver he throws a good long pass, but if the halves are calling for the ball he should pass it to them.

If the halves are not set up for a play then ad lib.

I want to see what the team can achieve if we become well organised and work together, taking more good  options. Get the ball to Kiks and Taaffe at the right times, we should be able score enough points. 

Not sure that the guys can get our act together, as per the defence, we need a style and an identity.
A bit of jinking can draw defenders to Mann providing the opportunity to pass to a guy in space. Taaffe and some of our backs should be running off him. Fast guys through a gap in the middle. If he simply jinks at slow speed and no one makes a run it will not do much.

I have noticed Taaffe positioning himself to run off Hutch once or twice that went close to working. I also don't mind wingers occasionally drifting in field and looking for a gap up the middle.

We can't simply be a threat on the edges, down mainstreet is where the big boys are often tired and slow to move.

I want to see what Jason Taylor has to offer as an attacking coach, I am hoping he knows what we should be doing. 

We are definitely better than in previous seasons, but still not at the level id like to see us in attack.

I feel as though the ball is not going to our halves sufficiently enough in the attacking zone. I can understand some autopilot play with Mahoney to middle forwards between the 30m zones or inside our 30. But inside the attacking third, we cant afford for Burton and Hutch not calling for the ball and getting their hands on it. 

Hutch seems to get himself involved more tyan Burton and hence the reason i feel he deserves a halves spot ahead of Burton.

But our whole attacking mindset must change in that final third and forwards should be considered as decoys first and support players second. There shouldnt be more than 1 settler run. 

I do agree that Mann jinking in the middle of the park with support players bursting through can catch some lazy defenders in the middle, and we need to work on this more. 

We seem to just setup for a left or right sweep play with our fringes as our only attacking hope and when that fails,  its the final kick as our crescendo.

We need more than that to get to the next level. The eyes of the top halves light up when they get ball inside the opposition 30m. They are disapointed when they dont setup tries before their kicks. We tend to work towards our kick. 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

The game is to be better defensively. We are doing that. As Ciro said in the press conference. We let in two easy try’s. Stop those and we win easy. 

That’s the main reason why I can’t imagine any changes. Wilson for fox. KK for Presto. Farmer for Morrin. Like for like snd obviously can play to the defensive structure Ciro wants. 

Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I like that Ciro is creating a good defensive outfit. Changes will hurt that so moving players around is a terrible idea. 

Salmon is fantastic defensively and feeds the ball well to the halves. He has to start at 13. Curran and Mann give us that point of difference. Best staying off the bench

Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Micko - 1 Apr 2024 1:06 PM
The game is to be better defensively. We are doing that. As Ciro said in the press conference. We let in two easy try’s. Stop those and we win easy. 

That’s the main reason why I can’t imagine any changes. Wilson for fox. KK for Presto. Farmer for Morrin. Like for like snd obviously can play to the defensive structure Ciro wants. 

This makes sense.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Marki - 1 Apr 2024 1:57 PM
Micko - 1 Apr 2024 1:06 PM

This makes sense.

That’s what I think will happen. And I understand why. I don’t agree with the team that started the season. But it’s predictable what Cirro will do. 

My team personally. 

Fullback Critta
Wingers Fox and Kiraz
Centres Tracey and Xeri
Halves Burton and Sexton
Props Knight and King with Farmer and Hughes bench
Edge forwards Kiks and Presto
Locks Salmon and Curran bench
Utility Mann and Hutchinson. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Sezer very good for the Tigers, not surprised I wanted to sign him. I was disappointed when he left the Dogs, not as disappointed as when we let Thurston go. Also disappointed with the retirement and loss of f9rm from Sherwin.

All up 3 big reasons why we haven't had a top quality half for a while.  All decisions made around the same time. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Injuries and suspensions force our hand this week, we need to replace Fox, Morrin and Preston.

Wilson for Fox is the easy change. 

IMO Curran has done enough to earn a starting spot.

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Stat's.

Week 1     meters   tackles  missed/t  errors
Salmon     41           35               2            1
Mann         113        35               0            0
Curran         97        39                3           0

Week 2
Salmon    55            26       0   0
Mann        73           35       1    0
Curran      95           40        2   0

Week 3
Salmon    81           27       1     0
Mann        96           35       2     1
Curran     126           30      1     0

Week 4 
Salmon    72            31       6      1
Mann       107         27        0       1
Curran     136         29        1       0

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

It is slightly harder starting but the stat's show Salmon is not as good as Mann and Curran.

Curran zero errors in 4 games the other guys 2 errors in 4 games which is too many.

I didn't list penalties but that stat also isn't good for Salmon.

The stat's back up what my eyes are seeing the other 2 guys are better players than Salmon.

He isn't a starting lock, he isn't in my top 17, one or 2 injuries and he is definitely in the 17. Most of his NRL career to date has been like that.
Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 6:51 PM
Sezer very good for the Tigers, not surprised I wanted to sign him. I was disappointed when he left the Dogs, not as disappointed as when we let Thurston go. Also disappointed with the retirement and loss of f9rm from Sherwin.

All up 3 big reasons why we haven't had a top quality half for a while.  All decisions made around the same time. 

Yeah like you, i also was disappointed losing Sezer originally and then not going after him before his move to the Raiders and even last year when we both mentioned it.

Especially since we are warming up the spot for our younger guys to come through.

I still think Hutch can do this role but i think Sezer has proven he can do it and at a better level. 

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Micko - 1 Apr 2024 1:08 PM
I like that Ciro is creating a good defensive outfit. Changes will hurt that so moving players around is a terrible idea. 

Salmon is fantastic defensively and feeds the ball well to the halves. He has to start at 13. Curran and Mann give us that point of difference. Best staying off the bench
Changes this week are difficult with as many changes required by injury...

Salmon doesn't run the ball anywhere near enough when in the forwards, and has little impact when he does...

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Yep... He has those 1 or 2 very good games a year... His general play kicking after they got back in front was very poor... 

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Much like Rd 1-20 last year and all.the year before, our opponents know they only need to focus pressure on our left side attack... On the right just number up...

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 8:49 PM

Yep... He has those 1 or 2 very good games a year... His general play kicking after they got back in front was very poor... 

I've only seen the highlights...

IMO Sezer has the ability to be a top half and his is a naturally skilled kicker..

Dogs needed to do a better job of developing him. At the time his manager didn't help matters, There was some breakdown of communication.

At Canberra Sticky was a tough task master. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 9:05 PM
Much like Rd 1-20 last year and all.the year before, our opponents know they only need to focus pressure on our left side attack... On the right just number up...

Our trys this season have been fairly evenly split between left and right.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 9:12 PM
dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 9:05 PM

Our trys this season have been fairly evenly split between left and right.

But we've utterly bombed more on the right... Been unlucky not get more on the left .. 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 9:06 PM
dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 8:49 PM

I've only seen the highlights...

IMO Sezer has the ability to be a top half and his is a naturally skilled kicker..

Dogs needed to do a better job of developing him. At the time his manager didn't help matters, There was some breakdown of communication.

At Canberra Sticky was a tough task master. 

Woulda coulda etc... There's a reason he went to England... And a reason the tigers were the only interested party for realistically one year
... I will say he's good at kicking a field goal .. 

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 9:16 PM
hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 9:12 PM

But we've utterly bombed more on the right... Been unlucky not get more on the left .. 

And easier to score on the left cos D is focused on the right... We score more tries on the left with a decent 7 controlling the right and middle... 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 9:24 PM
dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 9:16 PM

And easier to score on the left cos D is focused on the right... We score more tries on the left with a decent 7 controlling the right and middle... 

Not controlling as such, but attracting more attention...
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 7:19 PM
It is slightly harder starting but the stat's show Salmon is not as good as Mann and Curran.

Curran zero errors in 4 games the other guys 2 errors in 4 games which is too many.

I didn't list penalties but that stat also isn't good for Salmon.

The stat's back up what my eyes are seeing the other 2 guys are better players than Salmon.

He isn't a starting lock, he isn't in my top 17, one or 2 injuries and he is definitely in the 17. Most of his NRL career to date has been like that.

Those stats really show how poor Salmon has been. I even dug a little deeper. Salmon isn’t engaging the line or pushing players into line breaks. Maybe there is something more the stats don’t show. Maybe Salmon gets the ball to Hutch or Burton quicker than the others. I highly doubt that though.

Defensively he looks poor as well. Maybe he is doing the extras that aren’t shown in the stats. But I find it hard to back him now. Although it will be interesting to see his stats at seasons end. 

You definitely convinced me on Salmon for now. Curran to lock and Mann bench lock. Salmon utility.

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

I doubt Sezer was ever a chance to come back. I heard there was a major falling out between him and a lot at the club including Grub. 

And let’s wait a few more games before we hail him King. It’s only early in the year. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 9:19 PM
hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 9:06 PM

Woulda coulda etc... There's a reason he went to England... And a reason the tigers were the only interested party for realistically one year
... I will say he's good at kicking a field goal .. 

He is an experienced halfback who is better than what we currently have affordable and able to make a contribution to developing younger halves.

I would prefer Sezer to Hutch, Burto also does a lot of our kicking. We need a player that can help the team score points.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 1 Apr 2024 10:08 PM
I doubt Sezer was ever a chance to come back. I heard there was a major falling out between him and a lot at the club including Grub. 

And let’s wait a few more games before we hail him King. It’s only early in the year. 

I agree that mending bridges would have been difficult. Sezer and is manager were arrogant at the time, my hope is that he is older and wiser.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 10:17 PM
dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 9:19 PM

He is an experienced halfback who is better than what we currently have affordable and able to make a contribution to developing younger halves.

I would prefer Sezer to Hutch, Burto also does a lot of our kicking. We need a player that can help the team score points.

He ain't better then 7exy... And he ain't a mentor...
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 1 Apr 2024 10:02 PM
hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 7:19 PM

Those stats really show how poor Salmon has been. I even dug a little deeper. Salmon isn’t engaging the line or pushing players into line breaks. Maybe there is something more the stats don’t show. Maybe Salmon gets the ball to Hutch or Burton quicker than the others. I highly doubt that though.

Defensively he looks poor as well. Maybe he is doing the extras that aren’t shown in the stats. But I find it hard to back him now. Although it will be interesting to see his stats at seasons end. 

You definitely convinced me on Salmon for now. Curran to lock and Mann bench lock. Salmon utility.

Nothing to lose by starting Curran we have too many similar players, need to shift the mix to more attacking.

This week we have a few out so Salmon is in the mix.

First trial I was impressed with Salmon, after that I started to notice the lack of threat running the ball, a lack of variety and width in passing, errors and penalties.

Like most of our team, I can’t fault the effort, but the Souths game showed how far effort can take us without smarts, skill and execution. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 10:23 PM
hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 10:17 PM

He ain't better then 7exy... And he ain't a mentor...

In terms of personality, I don't know him, I am just assuming that he has matured.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 10:26 PM
dman2018 - 1 Apr 2024 10:23 PM

In terms of personality, I don't know him, I am just assuming that he has matured.

That aside... He's experienced... Cam D well on his day, and getting better with age... But with ball in hand, he ain't creating any more than 7exy...  Decent kicking game but very hit and miss, as exhibited today when the hot the front... He's definitely a better 7 than any we've had in before Rd 20 last year though, but most of them weren't 7s anyway...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 1 Apr 2024 10:25 PM
Micko - 1 Apr 2024 10:02 PM

Nothing to lose by starting Curran we have too many similar players, need to shift the mix to more attacking.

This week we have a few out so Salmon is in the mix.

First trial I was impressed with Salmon, after that I started to notice the lack of threat running the ball, a lack of variety and width in passing, errors and penalties.

Like most of our team, I can’t fault the effort, but the Souths game showed how far effort can take us without smarts, skill and execution. 

Curran close to if not the best player on the paddock the past 4 weeks... He will be fine playing 80... Get him out there...
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search