BDP

Author
Marki
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Steveswr33333 - 20 Oct 2019 12:37 PM
DanD - 20 Oct 2019 11:52 AM

I guess that is the broad scope but specifically find the cheating rorting pr*cks guilty of sustained and unrelenting salary cap cheating and strip them of every competition they have won since 1908 and kick them out of the comp and gaol Politis...

IMO the current admin hasn't done too badly, it's just that rugby league hasn't adapted too well to modern day scrutiny, tv slow mo's and inconsistency with judicial system. Further to that, they are now so precious about protecting the business aspects of the sport, that they've forgotten deep down its a bloody game. So they've spent time and resources in "no fault policies" and punishing misbehavior than focusing how to rid the game of its problematic technical areas.

It doesnt help when ex players or commentators say "that's a xxxxxxxx on any day of the week" (substitute the word "knock on" , "try", "obstruction" , "professional foul") 

The game either has to be honest to itself or continue to blur the lines between ref interpretation.

Until they make it mandatory to go upstairs and check every try, it will always have a problem. I dont care how long it takes. I'd rather they get it right than wrong. 

The bunker should also be made the eye in the sky and have full access to the commentators. Coz let's face it, the commentators see what the fans see. They should intervene when needed. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Marki - 20 Oct 2019 7:02 PM
Steveswr33333 - 20 Oct 2019 12:37 PM

IMO the current admin hasn't done too badly, it's just that rugby league hasn't adapted too well to modern day scrutiny, tv slow mo's and inconsistency with judicial system. Further to that, they are now so precious about protecting the business aspects of the sport, that they've forgotten deep down its a bloody game. So they've spent time and resources in "no fault policies" and punishing misbehavior than focusing how to rid the game of its problematic technical areas.

It doesnt help when ex players or commentators say "that's a xxxxxxxx on any day of the week" (substitute the word "knock on" , "try", "obstruction" , "professional foul") 

The game either has to be honest to itself or continue to blur the lines between ref interpretation.

Until they make it mandatory to go upstairs and check every try, it will always have a problem. I dont care how long it takes. I'd rather they get it right than wrong. 

The bunker should also be made the eye in the sky and have full access to the commentators. Coz let's face it, the commentators see what the fans see. They should intervene when needed. 

The league admin has never been great, this current mob are not much worse than prior eras...

I do feel that the game has lost it's way a bit i  the era 2010-2019 the fan base may be stagnant and aging.

But name your sport, admin isn't great except for top tier sport in America snd Europe.

Where the NRL unfortunately stands out is poor referring and a lack of respect for refs. That all started with refs chatting to players. Now players dispute every decision.
Edited
5 Years Ago by hounddog
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

So them fwit’s at the NRL allowed Inglis to medically retire.... wipe his entire contract from Souths salary cap, and offer his some
 BS welfare job.....

Now Souths want to medically retire Sam Burgess. 

This is the first we’ve all heard of this shoulder injury, obviously he’s got some personal issues, now like Inglis, want to clear cap space...

Surely them deadsh1ts @ the NRL won’t allow them to get away with it again?

Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

hounddog - 20 Oct 2019 9:39 PM

The league admin has never been great, this current mob are not much worse than prior eras...

I do feel that the game has lost it's way a bit i  the era 2010-2019 the fan base may be stagnant and aging.

But name your sport, admin isn't great except for top tier sport in America snd Europe.

Where the NRL unfortunately stands out is poor referring and a lack of respect for refs. That all started with refs chatting to players. Now players dispute every decision.

As much as we love it Rugby league is a small regional game on the world stage.  It operates in a cocoon where the media covering the game double as cheer leaders.  Under these circumstances we are unlikely to get better administration.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

I think your last paragraph hits the nail on the head. 
DanD
DanD
Rising Star
Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)

Villi - 20 Oct 2019 10:21 PM
So them fwit’s at the NRL allowed Inglis to medically retire.... wipe his entire contract from Souths salary cap, and offer his some
 BS welfare job.....

This is the first we’ve all heard of this shoulder injury, obviously he’s got some personal issues, now like Inglis, want to clear cap space...

Meanwhile WE have the most injury plagued player. Too bad, too sad for you doggies says Toddy lol.

(No offence to Foz. Just couldn't resist a bit more sniping at NRLol).
DanD
DanD
Rising Star
Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)Rising Star (899 reputation)

Mooloolabadog - 21 Oct 2019 12:22 AM

As much as we love it Rugby league is a small regional game on the world stage.  It operates in a cocoon where the media covering the game double as cheer leaders.  Under these circumstances we are unlikely to get better administration.

Still a billion dollar company with nearly half a million registered players of all ages and a TV viewing participation of several million a year. 
DanD
DanD
Rising Star

When you have the Australian captain in Ref Smith as a template, arguing and questioning almost every decision for prolonged and extended verbal exchanges...and being seen as so successful at it, then you get other coaches telling their players to use the tactic.

Add to the fact the refs are incompetent and lack respect and also accused of influencing outcomes...well until all that changes, Cam retires and refs suddenly become competent, it will continue.
R
R
Weekender
Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)

In my opinion VLandys will be driven by the $ and will not care who r what he has to climb over to produce it. Look out bush football. 

I had had dealings with him when he was CEO of Harness Racing NSW and I was president of a bush club. “Rationalised” clubs out of existence.

Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

DanD - 21 Oct 2019 8:19 AM

Meanwhile WE have the most injury plagued player. Too bad, too sad for you doggies says Toddy lol.

(No offence to Foz. Just couldn't resist a bit more sniping at NRLol).

Spoken like a true Marki

DanD
DanD
Rising Star

Steveswr33333 - 21 Oct 2019 9:28 AM
DanD - 21 Oct 2019 8:19 AM

Spoken like a true Marki

The difference is it was it is pretty factual.

Rumours were that we had tried to retire him and Todd knocked it on the head when tentative enquiries made.

Just trying to highlight the favoured position Souths seem to enjoy.

hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Hunglika - 21 Oct 2019 9:17 AM
In my opinion VLandys will be driven by the $ and will not care who r what he has to climb over to produce it. Look out bush football. 

I had had dealings with him when he was CEO of Harness Racing NSW and I was president of a bush club. “Rationalised” clubs out of existence.

That is bad, hopefully clubs can step in and help bush footy a bit more...

The bush is an important part of the game, and sport is a very important part of the community..

Focusing purely on the $ is very short sighted.... the NRL needs loyal community based support..
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

BS welfare job.....

No we should all be saying we knew he had the injury for years, or at least prior to signing his last contract...

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 21 Oct 2019 10:38 AM

The bush is an important part of the game, and sport is a very important part of the community..

Focusing purely on the $ is very short sighted.... the NRL needs loyal community based support..

The game has been ignoring bush footy for years... and years... so let’s no start acting like the new boss is the problem before he’s even started... 
We have these unoriginal ideas the NRLol claim have been innovations such as all stars, and whatever that weekend in Brisbane was called...
It beggars belief we can’t have a Country carnival/round where all games are played in regional areas... mid season school holidays would be ideal timing...
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

I think the problem goes to the change in farming processes over the years. An old country guy told me some years ago how many people would be employed on sheep and wheat farms in the forties and fifties.  He said with the advent of modern machinery and contracting this had reduced dramatically.  Therefore smaller country towns are on the decline and sports are suffering accordingly.  I don't consider the likes of Newcastle and Wollongong country, they are city, just not Sydney.
DanD
DanD
Rising Star

dman2018 - 21 Oct 2019 10:46 AM

No we should all be saying we knew he had the injury for years, or at least prior to signing his last contract...

That's the leading shoulder for his head highs and stiff arms so of course we knew it has been damaged since his first judiciary appearance in 2010 :)
tony v_2
tony v_2
Rising Star
Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)

spotted nick polites roosters supremo with sunny bill willams @ a inner west cafe ,BUT nick polites is trying his best 2 get sunny 2 play with the roosters for 1 more season & then 
will offer him a job in the coaching staff  ...only the roosters can kept signing the best talent BUT dont let anyone go 
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro

tony v_2 - 21 Oct 2019 11:48 AM
spotted nick polites roosters supremo with sunny bill willams @ a inner west cafe ,BUT nick polites is trying his best 2 get sunny 2 play with the roosters for 1 more season & then 
will offer him a job in the coaching staff  ...only the roosters can kept signing the best talent BUT dont let anyone go 

Isn't SBW in Japan?
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Mooloolabadog - 21 Oct 2019 1:45 PM
tony v_2 - 21 Oct 2019 11:48 AM

Isn't SBW in Japan?

Don’t let the truth get in the way of a great hotdog...
Marki
Marki
World Class

Mooloolabadog - 21 Oct 2019 11:20 AM

I think the problem goes to the change in farming processes over the years. An old country guy told me some years ago how many people would be employed on sheep and wheat farms in the forties and fifties.  He said with the advent of modern machinery and contracting this had reduced dramatically.  Therefore smaller country towns are on the decline and sports are suffering accordingly.  I don't consider the likes of Newcastle and Wollongong country, they are city, just not Sydney.

I am of the same belief.

There is constant talk about neglecting bush footy, but really when you think about it, the majority of Australia's population that ends up playing the game professionally will be coming from city/urban areas.

If you think of the population of Greater Sydney, Greater Brisbane, Newcastle, Canberra, Wollongong, Central Coast, Gold Coast and Townsville, you are probably covering more than 70% of the population for these 2 states and territory. The remainder can be considered "bush".

So while the bush covers a large footprint in terms of land area and distances, the population is only a fraction of that of the main urban cities and that is excluding smaller cities such as Coffs, Port Mac, Sunshine coast, Cairns etc (which are cities in their own right)

Im not saying neglect the bush altogether, but realistically a reginal game as has been adopted by some clubs over the last 20 odd years, as well as the country origin game is just about all you can do. Anything above and I cant really see a benefit.

Getting teams to play a game in Perth or Adelaide seems a lot more beneficial for the NRL and the club that takes it there, than going to the bush.
Coz lets face it..... if you're a kid in the bush that has ambitions to play NRL, you will make a go of it in a major city like Brisbane and Sydney.
Just like you would if you wanted to become a corporate banker.

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Marki - 21 Oct 2019 5:01 PM

I am of the same belief.

There is constant talk about neglecting bush footy, but really when you think about it, the majority of Australia's population that ends up playing the game professionally will be coming from city/urban areas.

If you think of the population of Greater Sydney, Greater Brisbane, Newcastle, Canberra, Wollongong, Central Coast, Gold Coast and Townsville, you are probably covering more than 70% of the population for these 2 states and territory. The remainder can be considered "bush".

So while the bush covers a large footprint in terms of land area and distances, the population is only a fraction of that of the main urban cities and that is excluding smaller cities such as Coffs, Port Mac, Sunshine coast, Cairns etc (which are cities in their own right)

Im not saying neglect the bush altogether, but realistically a reginal game as has been adopted by some clubs over the last 20 odd years, as well as the country origin game is just about all you can do. Anything above and I cant really see a benefit.

Getting teams to play a game in Perth or Adelaide seems a lot more beneficial for the NRL and the club that takes it there, than going to the bush.
Coz lets face it..... if you're a kid in the bush that has ambitions to play NRL, you will make a go of it in a major city like Brisbane and Sydney.

Agree with nearly all you say... And I think it particularly relevant when it comes to the OP re harness racing...
I probably should’ve said ‘grass roots’ which encompasses (in the minority) bush footy...
Still think there should be a country carnival on regional centres... while it may not be completely cost effective, I don’t think you can put a price on the goodwill generated amongst us slickers and the next gen if players that’ll move to the big smoke...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Understanding their could be issues re number of.camera crews, comms and other staff etc... I could be country month... 2 games each weekend over a month...
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro

Marki - 21 Oct 2019 5:01 PM

I am of the same belief.

The number of youngsters lured from their hometowns by the NRL clubs each year would be an interesting statistic.  Whilst they are being given an opportunity each one weakens football in their area. Even if they don't make it most don't go back as there are limited job opportunities in their home towns.
R
R
Weekender
Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)Weekender (49 reputation)

Not one of you understand what is needed to revitalise bush footy. 
You don’t need NRL games in the bush you need support for bush clubs in the way of development officers and fostering of junior football by paid employees. 
The game died out here when the CRL pulled out the two great development guys. One had too resign due to the enormous work load and was never replaced. 
We went from seven teams to no comp in a year
R
R
Weekender

On VLandys. He will be more of the same no better no worse. 

Your comments on Regional Decline are very simplistic. It is far more complex than improvement in Agricultural technology. Rural Australia does not need to rely on Agriculture there are many other opportunities for development and you cannot beat the lifestyle. 

Woke up up this morning looked out the window. Already at work 
R
R
Weekender

Better than 2hrs each way when I worked at the SHB
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Hunglika - 22 Oct 2019 8:06 AM
You don’t need NRL games in the bush you need support for bush clubs in the way of development officers and fostering of junior football by paid employees. 
The game died out here when the CRL pulled out the two great development guys. One had too resign due to the enormous work load and was never replaced. 

What’s are you at R???...
Thats a damning story.. 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

The bush games are as much about giving back to the rural communities as anything else, not just growth, but social responsibility and it’s commercial benefits... SR along with the environment has become and will increase as a major factor in where people choose to spend money...
The lack of development officers. and other footy type people promoting the game in schools for example is not exclusive to the bush (though obviously many less in rural areas)... 
The AFL smashes the NRLol in every aspect of this type of grassroots promotion...
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro

dman2018 - 22 Oct 2019 9:54 AM

The bush games are as much about giving back to the rural communities as anything else, not just growth, but social responsibility and it’s commercial benefits... SR along with the environment has become and will increase as a major factor in where people choose to spend money...
The lack of development officers. and other footy type people promoting the game in schools for example is not exclusive to the bush (though obviously many less in rural areas)... 
The AFL smashes the NRLol in every aspect of this type of grassroots promotion...

To emphasise your point.  Some years ago, 2011 I think, I was travelling between Cairns and Cooktown.  I stopped for a break at a Roadhouse and there was a vehicle there with AFL plastered all over it.  Obviously a development officer or the like.  At the same time there was a story in the press about the possibility of the Port Douglas Rugby League team folding.  As you say they're all over us in that respect.
Marki
Marki
World Class

dman2018 - 22 Oct 2019 9:54 AM

I think the difference is in the game and the injury risks.

You can play aussie rules and not really get hurt. Play tackle rugby league and you can get badly hurt quite easily..

For that reason alone you'll see kids playing AFL but will be hesitant to see them RL. You'll also see them play cricket and soccer. Again, sports that dont have high incidence of injury - bad injury.

Rugby league is one of those games where you cant play it as a pastime. You are either all in or you fold. And if you fold, you dont play tackle coz it could affect your ability to show up to your job.

The NRL can invest millions in the bush and have hardly any increase in the amount of talent coming through. Those that are good enough already make it by moving to the big smoke. All it will do is allow a handful of them to stay abit longer in the bush before they make their big move. 

This isnt the fault of Rugby league. It's just that Auatralia has a massive land territory for very little population and massive distances between regional centres. If we were England, different story. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search