BDP

Author
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
hounddog - 26 Oct 2020 7:29 PM
On the GF the Suli intercept was critical, 9 times out of 10 that play works for the attack. 
The intercept attempt was partially desperation.

But really dropped balls from Api and Kickau cost the Panthers.

Api kocking the ball out of Smiths hands for a try also cost them.

Both are good players who just had a bad day.

Api was playing injured, Kickau was a bit rusty, if both just have an average day, or Suli misses the intercept the Panthers probably win.

In big games keeping your error rate low and staying composed is half the battle.
The errors were nothing to do with coaching. Roll on 21.

Panthers completion rate not good enough.  Couldn't sustain pressure leading to lack of composure and more errors
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Villi - 26 Oct 2020 6:16 PM
Dave Riccio just tweeted

Flanagan 3yr deal to Dogs worth $1m

Good deal without breaking the bank without doubt & the Scum will contribute $100k to his deal for 2021 as well. 

Cheap for a playmaker.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Mooloolabadog - 26 Oct 2020 8:00 PM

Panthers completion rate not good enough.  Couldn't sustain pressure leading to lack of composure and more errors

All signs of a team that plays with high confidence and carefree attitude. 

To me it was a case of 1 team being experts at adapting to changing variables. The penalty try and ensuing penalty goals were more of a psychological blow to Penrith than the 6 or 10 points on the scoreboard. They couldnt work out how to combat the game, the tempo, the atmosphere, the nerves. They panicked and it was mistake after mistake.

One just has to watch how Cam Smith reorganizes his team around the 70th minute mark after Bellamy busts some veins screaming down Jason Ryles' mic. Smith responds to the dropped balls and incomplete sets by reshaping to 1 out hit ups to his trusted players (Dale, Nelson, Felice and Bromwich). 

They settle the game and win back control. From there.... they run the clock down even though Panthers do well to give it a grandstand finish.

In contrast, Panthers had to steady the ship at 10- 0 and 16-0 down but inexperience got the better of them and that play by Api on the line killed them.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Villi - 26 Oct 2020 6:54 PM
Micko - 26 Oct 2020 6:43 PM

Micko.... he has 2 things we need

Has a good passing game (unlike Lewis) & can kick goals with ease (Wakeham & Averillo goal kicking are poor)

Anything else Flanagan brings will be a bonus

I think it's a great acquisition.
I'm always in favour of signing players on proven attributes rather than just potential.

Flanagan is young but has already proven himself. No reason he cant rise to heights again.
Start of year (after covid break) he was one of Roosters best. He was just a victim of their end of season form. 

The deal sounds like top value. 
Well done to the club for securing him.
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

On the GF the Suli intercept was critical, 9 times out of 10 that play works for the attack. 
The intercept attempt was partially desperation.

But really dropped balls from Api and Kickau cost the Panthers.

Api kocking the ball out of Smiths hands for a try also cost them.

Both are good players who just had a bad day.

Api was playing injured, Kickau was a bit rusty, if both just have an average day, or Suli misses the intercept the Panthers probably win.

In big games keeping your error rate low and staying composed is half the battle.
The errors were nothing to do with coaching. Roll on 21.

I really think Luai was totally schit...for a runnner and stepper in particular (and a very impressive one too). In the first half he did neither...run nor step that is  for zero metres and even though it was he who threw the final pass for Mansour's try it was essentially a great take by Mansour....The thing with the ball being knocked out of Smith's hands was that there were only 5 seconds left in the half. Had the energy been put into stopping Smith...which was achievable instead of doing something fancy the the half would have ended with Smith tackled two metres out. I really think Kikau perhaps started to believe a bit too much publicity about himself.
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Flanagan has announced he’s joining the Dogs, direct quotes in the telegraph. With a picture in a Bulldogs strip. I guess the club will announce it tomorrow.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Steveswr33333 - 26 Oct 2020 9:20 PM

I really think Luai was totally schit...for a runnner and stepper in particular (and a very impressive one too). In the first half he did neither...run nor step that is  for zero metres and even though it was he who threw the final pass for Mansour's try it was essentially a great take by Mansour....The thing with the ball being knocked out of Smith's hands was that there were only 5 seconds left in the half. Had the energy been put into stopping Smith...which was achievable instead of doing something fancy the the half would have ended with Smith tackled two metres out. I really think Kikau perhaps started to believe a bit too much publicity about himself.

I recon the Panthers have the best halves combination in the comp.

The challenge for the team is aiming up and winning next year.

This game reminds me of the Dogs 79 GF loss, we were at that game and confident, young inexperienced side and the first half was a disaster.

No guarantee that the Panthers will repeat our feat and win it next year. Lots of things could go wrong.
Edited
4 Years Ago by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Something that amazes me constantly is many teams stand too shallow in attack in the opposition 20.

Panthers did it in the first half, Storm rushed up on Panthers halves and defended up and in.

I'll echo Marki and say the last 5  seasons the dogs have stood shallow and played slow more than any other team.

If the side occasionally stands deeper and runs on to the pass, they go much better.

If the opposition defence is rushing that is more reason to stand  deeper. Get a quick play the ball and flat is the right formula.

Storm were determined not to allow quick play the balls.

Edited
4 Years Ago by hounddog
zoz2015
zoz2015
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)

Mooloolabadog - 26 Oct 2020 8:02 PM
Villi - 26 Oct 2020 6:16 PM

Cheap for a playmaker.

Wikipedia already had him playing for Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs...
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

zoz2015 - 27 Oct 2020 2:30 AM
Mooloolabadog - 26 Oct 2020 8:02 PM

Wikipedia already had him playing for Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs...

I don’t trust Wikipedia.... if you check Dman on Wikipedia, it’s got him plying his trade for Partick Thistle FC in the Scottish League
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Tenet is a very bad film, and I'm a fan of Christopher Nolan. I got Inception and Interstellar and loved them. But with Tenet I've never seen a movie with so much exposition dialogue. They characters literally spend at least 50% of their dialogue explaining to each other (which is really the audience) what is going on, and then do it badly. It's like the movie came with instructions... by Ikea.

Stanley Kubric didn't feel the need for anyone to explain Space Odyssey and 50 years later one of the strength of the film is that people still argue about wtf was going on and what it all means. Nolan should've done that with Tenet and it would've worked a whole lot better. People don't need their hands held and if there's a thousand different theory's about what it all means so much the better.

It's a shame because it has got some neat tricks in there, some really neat tricks. Problem is it would've been so much better if you had to figure them out but as it is when they do happen you're not surprised because you've been told they're coming.

3/10 and most of that 3 is for Robert Pattinson, who's really developing into one of the generations best actors. Should make a good Batman.... even though it's plagiarism and all that.
Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 26 Oct 2020 10:41 PM
Something that amazes me constantly is many teams stand too shallow in attack in the opposition 20.

Panthers did it in the first half, Storm rushed up on Panthers halves and defended up and in.

I'll echo Marki and say the last 5  seasons the dogs have stood shallow and played slow more than any other team.

If the side occasionally stands deeper and runs on to the pass, they go much better.

If the opposition defence is rushing that is more reason to stand  deeper. Get a quick play the ball and flat is the right formula.

Storm were determined not to allow quick play the balls.

If the opposition rushes you, your first combat play is to grubber or chip behind the rushing line.

You can only do this after your 40m of course but it will make the defence hesitate for rest of game. 

Otherwise, you play the outside-inside play and have your inside player run a diagonal line through the gap of the rushing player.
Marki
Marki
World Class

Zef - 27 Oct 2020 6:43 AM
....Tenet is a very bad film, and I'm a fan of Christopher Nolan. I got Inception and Interstellar and loved them. But with Tenet I've never seen a movie with so much exposition dialogue. They characters literally spend at least 50% of their dialogue explaining to each other (which is really the audience) what is going on, and then do it badly. It's like the movie came with instructions... by Ikea.

Stanley Kubric didn't feel the need for anyone to explain Space Odyssey and 50 years later one of the strength of the film is that people still argue about wtf was going on and what it all means. Nolan should've done that with Tenet and it would've worked a whole lot better. People don't need their hands held and if there's a thousand different theory's about what it all means so much the better.

It's a shame because it has got some neat tricks in there, some really neat tricks. Problem is it would've been so much better if you had to figure them out but as it is when they do happen you're not surprised because you've been told they're coming.

3/10 and most of that 3 is for Robert Pattinson, who's really developing into one of the generations best actors. Should make a good Batman.... even though it's plagiarism and all that.

Well... . The best thing about Covid19 is that release of the new Bond film keeps getting pushed back. Maybe after a while they will archive it and we wont have to feel pressured to waste our time watching it....
Marki
Marki
World Class

Marki - 27 Oct 2020 7:56 AM
Zef - 27 Oct 2020 6:43 AM

Well... . The best thing about Covid19 is that release of the new Bond film keeps getting pushed back. Maybe after a while they will archive it and we wont have to feel pressured to waste our time watching it....

There you go BN....I said it....
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

It’s Offical
Dogs announce Flanagan. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 27 Oct 2020 7:52 AM
hounddog - 26 Oct 2020 10:41 PM

If the opposition rushes you, your first combat play is to grubber or chip behind the rushing line.

You can only do this after your 40m of course but it will make the defence hesitate for rest of game. 

Otherwise, you play the outside-inside play and have your inside player run a diagonal line through the gap of the rushing player.

That also works, but the halves standing a bit deeper gives time for the halves to execute the play and fully commits the rushing defenders.

I don't think coaching was the issue at the Panthers, it was more like excellent coaching from Bellamy and the element of surprise.
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

2 big signings now in Cotric and Flanagan. Hopefully that gives our other prospective targets the confidence to jump on board.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Villi - 27 Oct 2020 6:08 AM
zoz2015 - 27 Oct 2020 2:30 AM

I don’t trust Wikipedia.... if you check Dman on Wikipedia, it’s got him plying his trade for Partick Thistle FC in the Scottish League

Thistle FC dumped him after 5 cold Scottish winters spent sitting on the bench, apparently Dman does bear a grudge against the game ... he will move on when Gus accepts the GF loss.
zoz2015
zoz2015
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)

Kamaryn - 27 Oct 2020 10:24 AM
2 big signings now in Cotric and Flanagan. Hopefully that gives our other prospective targets the confidence to jump on board.

One of the positive side they won’t be playing under Desball system ruining  their careers .
Hopefully Trentball does the job . 
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

zoz2015 - 27 Oct 2020 2:05 PM
Kamaryn - 27 Oct 2020 10:24 AM

One of the positive side they won’t be playing under Desball system ruining  their careers .
Hopefully Trentball does the job . 

So instead of getting beaten 12-10 we might get beaten 44-40...(actually this was the score in a reserve grade game against Souths probably 2005)
Marki
Marki
World Class

Steveswr33333 - 27 Oct 2020 2:29 PM
zoz2015 - 27 Oct 2020 2:05 PM

So instead of getting beaten 12-10 we might get beaten 44-40...(actually this was the score in a reserve grade game against Souths probably 2005)

Sounds like an entertaining loss to me!
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro

Would recommend excellent Pommy Detective Show "Unforgotten" 3 seasons each of 6 episodes..Essentially in the first episode of the series they find the remains of a body that has been 40-50 years before being discovered and end up solving the murder with potential suspects all being introduced in the same episode.Excellent believable cast. 
BloodyNora
BloodyNora
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Marki - 27 Oct 2020 7:57 AM

There you go BN....I said it....

It doesn't bother me the same way as it does you that Daniel Craig is in the role, so luckily (for me) I like them all. I think some of the films are better than others & that's also true about DC's time in the role.  There's the question mark about the forthcoming one being too poli correct, which the early reports alluded to, yet it remains to be seen what they've done with it in that regard. They way they're made, it's 3/4 action sequences anyway, so surely they wont make it cringeworthy from start to finish by pushing the agendas of this or that group. Maybe a moment here & there that some people will roll their eyes at before it continues on with more action, so if that's how it is I can live with it. There's nothing new there when it comes to roll the eyes moments, right back to the 60's. At least if your expectations are really low this time, there's the chance it'll be better than some others & you'll enjoy it, assuming you can tolerate DC having one last film in the role. If it's a disaster, it wouldn't be good for the future of the franchise, so they'll all be doing their best to make it as good as possible, learning from what did & didn't work well with the previous ones. 

Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro

Marki - 27 Oct 2020 3:27 PM
Steveswr33333 - 27 Oct 2020 2:29 PM

Sounds like an entertaining loss to me!

Come to think of it I think we won..it was actually 2003...tried to find it...I know Hutch Maieva was playing...in trying to find exact game found a 6 week passage for the first grade team...round 19 was a bye...what d'ya think Marki.. similar in .2021?
Round 17 Newcastle W 48 - 14
Round 18 Brisbane W 40 - 4
Round 20 North Queensland W 42 - 22
Round 21 South Sydney W 62 - 12
Round 22 Melbourne W 50 - 4
Round 23 Manly Warringah W 56 - 24

Marki
Marki
World Class

BloodyNora - 27 Oct 2020 4:07 PM
Marki - 27 Oct 2020 7:57 AM

It doesn't bother me the same way as it does you that Daniel Craig is in the role, so luckily (for me) I like them all. I think some of the films are better than others & that's also true about DC's time in the role.  There's the question mark about the forthcoming one being too poli correct, which the early reports alluded to, yet it remains to be seen what they've done with it in that regard. They way they're made, it's 3/4 action sequences anyway, so surely they wont make it cringeworthy from start to finish by pushing the agendas of this or that group. Maybe a moment here & there that some people will roll their eyes at before it continues on with more action, so if that's how it is I can live with it. There's nothing new there when it comes to roll the eyes moments, right back to the 60's. At least if your expectations are really low this time, there's the chance it'll be better than some others & you'll enjoy it, assuming you can tolerate DC having one last film in the role. If it's a disaster, it wouldn't be good for the future of the franchise, so they'll all be doing their best to make it as good as possible, learning from what did & didn't work well with the previous ones. 

I don't hide the fact that I dislike DC in the role...
But I also dislike the latest trend of PC that has overwhelmed the last few films.

It only takes 30mins watching an older Bond film to realise (or reinforce) that DC has no sex appeal whatsoever. I find him cringeworthy and cant wait till they find someone else. 

I might give Steve's suggestion a go as I like detective shows....
Marki
Marki
World Class

Steveswr33333 - 27 Oct 2020 4:09 PM
Marki - 27 Oct 2020 3:27 PM

Come to think of it I think we won..it was actually 2003...tried to find it...I know Hutch Maieva was playing...in trying to find exact game found a 6 week passage for the first grade team...round 19 was a bye...what d'ya think Marki.. similar in .2021?
Round 17 Newcastle W 48 - 14
Round 18 Brisbane W 40 - 4
Round 20 North Queensland W 42 - 22
Round 21 South Sydney W 62 - 12
Round 22 Melbourne W 50 - 4
Round 23 Manly Warringah W 56 - 24

That sounds too good to be true Steve...
You sure? That's min 40 points scored in all those games and average of 50 over the 6 games...
Marki
Marki
World Class

Marki - 27 Oct 2020 6:29 PM
Steveswr33333 - 27 Oct 2020 4:09 PM

That sounds too good to be true Steve...
You sure? That's min 40 points scored in all those games and average of 50 over the 6 games...

Just checked and you are very right....
El masri ended up just shy of 300 season points.
Utai and Vagana had 22 and 21 tries each.

I dont think we scored 300 points all season this year.....

Our For and Against was +283
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Marki - 27 Oct 2020 6:23 PM
BloodyNora - 27 Oct 2020 4:07 PM

It only takes 30mins watching an older Bond film to realise (or reinforce) that DC has no sex appeal whatsoever. I find him cringeworthy and cant wait till they find someone else. 

(Read in Connerys accent)
Please Markipenny, tell us all more of the men you think have sex appeal...
#ohjames...

Slinky_v1
Slinky_v1
Hacker
Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)

Silver Sovereign!
Go Silver Sovereign! 
Was paying shishxty shix to one. 
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

He's appealing against the light!
I don't think he looks appealing no matter where he stands.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search