BDP

Author
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
F#ck Villa

Down 3-0 at halftime to Southampton
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Villi - 1 Nov 2020 11:55 PM
F#ck Villa

Down 3-0 at halftime to Southampton

Fark.... game over!

Villa 3
Southampton 4

Dman.... Dean Smith needs to give John McGinn a rest, he was awful today in midfield!
Who do you suggest we bring in...?

hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Villi - 2 Nov 2020 1:03 AM

Fark.... game over!

Villa 3
Southampton 4

Dman.... Dean Smith needs to give John McGinn a rest, he was awful today in midfield!

We don't need to give match summaries, Dman watches every game.

He told me Hailer isn't going to work unless we play 2 up top.
He learnt plenty sitting on the Thistle bench.

Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Anyone else get the feeling that the signing of Jake Avo ruled us out of JAC? Especially if we announce Burton as well. 
It is certainly an interesting offseason no matter what happens. I’m looking forward to Tbaz working with JMK and Flanno. If King understands when he when he passes and when he runs he could do a good job at hooker. 

The Flanno signing reminds me of the Hodko signing. Calm, composed general with a great kicking game. This allows both JMK and Avo to play a very simple running game. 

Villi
Villi
Pro

Reports this morning Josh Mansour has been told to leave with a year to go on his contract. 

Panthers want Staines to start on the wing. 

ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Micko, I am not that concerned if we miss out on Addo-Carr. I think we are building nicely and we will have something to cheer about next season. My only concern is Thompson as he was feeling a little home sick earlier, so I wonder how that is going.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

ODF - 2 Nov 2020 10:59 AM
Micko, I am not that concerned if we miss out on Addo-Carr. I think we are building nicely and we will have something to cheer about next season. My only concern is Thompson as he was feeling a little home sick earlier, so I wonder how that is going.

I agree with the lack of concern about JAC. He isn’t needed. It’s a shame that a quality hooker isn’t available because that’s what we do need. 

However it will be great to see Tbaz and the coaching staff work with what we do have. There is talent in most of our players. And I wouldn’t be concerned about Thomo. I’m sure he will stick around

dman2018
dman2018
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Fark.... game over!

Villa 3
Southampton 4

Kewell or Pele... 
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

I reckon we’ll probably get Burton, hopefully for ‘21 if not for ‘22. And that’ll be where it will end as far as names currently known. JAC will end up too much f***in’ around and I reckon we’ll drop out. Cheese made his intentions clear on field after The GF, he’s staying in Melb even as a back tower (which is really his best position anyway) and Grant’s going back to Melb too, both regardless of what Cameron Smith does or doesn’t do.

There maybe someone else pop up, and I expect there will be and we’ll have a crack if they fit our need, but their names not on the market yet.

But Flanagan, Waddell, Hetherington are pretty astute pickups. Add Burton and it’s better by half again. Certainly not the “marquee” signings that were ridiculously promised, but the sort of quality I’d expect us to pick up regularly going forward.

I give it 6/10. Could do better, but a lot smarter than previous efforts over the last decade.

Off field is where we’ve completely changed the game. 9/10.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Zef
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 2 Nov 2020 11:42 AM

Kewell or Pele... 

See Villi, Dman knows soccer.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Zef - 2 Nov 2020 11:52 AM
I reckon we’ll probably get Burton, hopefully for ‘21 if not for ‘22. And that’ll be where it will end as far as names currently known. JAC will end up too much f***in’ around and I reckon we’ll drop out. Cheese made his intentions clear on field after The GF, he’s staying in Melb even as a back tower (which is really his best position anyway) and Grant’s going back to Melb too, both regardless of what Cameron Smith does or doesn’t do.

There maybe someone else pop up, and I expect there will be and we’ll have a crack if they fit our need, but their names not on the market yet.

But Flanagan, Waddell, Hetherington are pretty astute pickups. Add Burton and it’s better by half again. Certainly not the “marquee” signings that were ridiculously promised, but the sort of quality I’d expect us to pick up regularly going forward.

I give it 6/10. Could do better, but a lot smarter than previous efforts over the last decade.

Off field is where we’ve completely changed the game. 9/10.

We still need to sort out hooker.

I give us 7/10 because we are signing the right type of player, and being patient.

No one with the combination of marquee, affordable and risk free has been available.
In JAC's case I have some doubts about affordable and risk free.

If Grant was available, I have no doubts.

If Baz can coach and the team working on development, coaching and conditioning know their stuff, we are in for a good season regardless. If we are patient, good talent for a good price will become available, other clubs are rolling the dice.

What we shouldn't have for 21 is cheap signings of average talent just to balance the salary cap.

Edited
4 Years Ago by hounddog
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

hounddog - 2 Nov 2020 2:46 PM
Zef - 2 Nov 2020 11:52 AM

We still need to sort out hooker.

I give us 7/10 because we are signing the right type of player, and being patient.

No one with the combination of marquee, affordable and risk free has been available.
In JAC's case I have some doubts about affordable and risk free.

If Grant was available, I have no doubts.

If Baz can coach and the team working on development, coaching and conditioning know their stuff, we are in for a good season regardless. If we are patient, good talent for a good price will become available, other clubs are rolling the dice.

What we shouldn't have for 21 is cheap signings of average talent just to balance the salary cap.

Getting TBaz and Flanno off the back of Cotric should have us at 7/10 instantly.
Would be good if we can get a fast outside back. JAC trade for R Smith would have been ideal. 
We need an out and out speedstar who can just take the ball with no one in front of him and run the length of the field.
We currently dont have anyone who can do this.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Marki - 2 Nov 2020 3:40 PM

Getting TBaz and Flanno off the back of Cotric should have us at 7/10 instantly.
Would be good if we can get a fast outside back. JAC trade for R Smith would have been ideal. 
We need an out and out speedstar who can just take the ball with no one in front of him and run the length of the field.

Whatever we do, i hope we dont resign Hoppa when his contract expires.
I have a feeling he is on top dollar and although he has been one of our better players over the last few years, i think we need to go a different direction.
I think we need an explosive centre who can bust tackles and offload or a fullback who can break the line.

I prefer Meaney at fullback or Averillo if he gets a chance.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 2 Nov 2020 3:42 PM

I have a feeling he is on top dollar and although he has been one of our better players over the last few years, i think we need to go a different direction.
I think we need an explosive centre who can bust tackles and offload or a fullback who can break the line.

I totally agree on fullback.
I  prefer to play Hoppa at lock, even if it is only for limited minutes.
He is a good defensive centre with a good pass, however he lack pace IMO.
His footwork and pace is sufficient to be a threat up the middle, defensively he is big enough to handle it.

This is where I hope Baz makes a difference, team selection has been poor the last 5 season, some good selections mixed in with bad but mostly the coaches seemed to be slow learners.
If you learn from your mistakes, you can afford to make more mistakes if you don't repeat them.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Avo can do this 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Marki - 2 Nov 2020 3:42 PM

I agree. I love Hop but it would be crazy to sign him in big dollars. We have a great you centre Paul Alomotti coming through
dogbone
dogbone
Super Fan
Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)Super Fan (133 reputation)

Here's the first thing i'm going to look for from Barrett to see whether he is going to do a good job or not. Can he pick a 1,6, 7 and 9 in round 1 and stick with them for rounds 2, 3 and 4. Now at the moment we don't know if we are done in the transfer market and we haven't finalised our squad so what our best spine will be come round 1 is still up in the air but what i would like to see and judge Barrett on is that he is confident with the players he picks in these positions. It is something Pay could not do. He constantly seemed to shuffle players in and out looking for the right balance. Maybe it is hard to fault him for that entirely but it's difficult to understand how after 3 seasons we don't know what to do at fullback, five-eighth or halfback. As is stands now I would go with:
1. Meaney
6. Averillo
7. Flanagan
9. Marshall-King 

If we sign Burton and get him for 2021 then he would be our #6 and I would move Averillo to fullback. Physically Averillo could make a very good fullback but i don't know what his positional play is like there and how safe he is under the high ball. There is enough potential there to feel it is worth a shot though.
That would mean our wing options are DWZ, Smith, Okunbor and Meaney. Centres are Hopoate and Cotric. Lewis as our backup half or bench utility.
Marki
Marki
World Class

dogbone - 3 Nov 2020 10:14 AM
Here's the first thing i'm going to look for from Barrett to see whether he is going to do a good job or not. Can he pick a 1,6, 7 and 9 in round 1 and stick with them for rounds 2, 3 and 4. Now at the moment we don't know if we are done in the transfer market and we haven't finalised our squad so what our best spine will be come round 1 is still up in the air but what i would like to see and judge Barrett on is that he is confident with the players he picks in these positions. It is something Pay could not do. He constantly seemed to shuffle players in and out looking for the right balance. Maybe it is hard to fault him for that entirely but it's difficult to understand how after 3 seasons we don't know what to do at fullback, five-eighth or halfback. As is stands now I would go with:
1. Meaney
6. Averillo
7. Flanagan
9. Marshall-King 

If we sign Burton and get him for 2021 then he would be our #6 and I would move Averillo to fullback. Physically Averillo could make a very good fullback but i don't know what his positional play is like there and how safe he is under the high ball. There is enough potential there to feel it is worth a shot though.
That would mean our wing options are DWZ, Smith, Okunbor and Meaney. Centres are Hopoate and Cotric. Lewis as our backup half or bench utility.

I like your proposed spine with the key element being Flanagans kicking game. Otherwise, I believe Lewis is a must in this team as we need a good long kicker to gain territory.

Until I see our team rolling forward with enthusiasm and making a good 50-60m with each set rather than 20-30m, I'm afraid Lewis will have to be just about the first picked. That's unless Flanno can take over the long kicking game and keep Lewis out.

I'm not 100% sold on Avo at pivot. He has been good in short stints but dont think he has the kicking game. 

Not sure what his best and final position is. Same as Lewis really. 

The problem with our roster the last few years is we have too many similar players who dont offer much difference. Its good for your reserve grade but not good for first grade.

Most other teams have a huge gap between their top 20 and the rest. 
Slinky_v1
Slinky_v1
Hacker
Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)Hacker (371 reputation)

If the new plan is not to pass the ball to Tolman on the 5th 5m out from the try line then the investment in Barrett has been worth it. Even if we lose every single game next season. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Slinky_v1 - 3 Nov 2020 12:15 PM
If the new plan is not to pass the ball to Tolman on the 5th 5m out from the try line then the investment in Barrett has been worth it. Even if we lose every single game next season. 

Especially when Tols is playing for the Sharks.

Anyone passing to Tols need to have the punishment of paying for Dman's drinks for a weekend or forgo their salary whichever is cheaper.

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dogbone - 3 Nov 2020 10:14 AM
1. Meaney
6. Averillo
7. Flanagan
9. Marshall-King 

We need a better 9, with JMK starting on the bench most games.
It is a shame Okunbor is injured, Ok, Smith and Cotric are all good under the high ball.
At the right price Mansour might be an option for 21 with a chance of 22 if he plays well.
Wakeham needs to get a shot at some stage.
If we sign Burton or if we want to play Wakeham then Averillo is an option at fullback, his attack is dynamic at fullback, that is what you notice in lower grade highlights. Averillo is actually pretty good in all backline positions 1-7.
Averillo, Lewis and Wakeham don't currently have the experience and composure to be a a halves combination.
Baz might be able to improve all of them, especially Lewis, he needs some guidance on how to play in the halves, he is a smart guy, perhaps he can learn.
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

I believe that Barrett could get good service from Lewis as Lock. He is a good defender and a left footer to boot (no pun intended). With a little bit of tweaking we may well end up with a cracker of a young squad.
Marki
Marki
World Class

Another Melb cup, another horse breaks down and euthanized. 

What a fatal sport!
Villi
Villi
Pro

Marki - 3 Nov 2020 5:20 PM
Another Melb cup, another horse breaks down and euthanized. 

What a fatal sport!

It’s not the surface again is it?
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Villi - 3 Nov 2020 5:45 PM
Marki - 3 Nov 2020 5:20 PM

It’s not the surface again is it?

Teach horses to play soccer.
Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 3 Nov 2020 9:21 PM
Villi - 3 Nov 2020 5:45 PM

Teach horses to play soccer.

They keep suggesting it is the 58kgs of weight the horse carries. I say BS.

I reckon the horses clip the legs of others as they squeeze each other along the racetrack and the horse comes down badly on its hoof.

It's like rolling your ankle after a jump in basketball or AFL. Of course, the racing industry doesnt want to admit to this as it could lead to the sport coming under scrutiny or even get banned. Do they just pit it down to misfortune etc....

I reckon if they raced in segregated lanes like they do in swimming or in the Stawell Gift race (remember that) we wouldnt have so many break their legs and need to be put down....
Marki
Marki
World Class

Very quiet in here....

Everyone Trumped are they?
BloodyNora
BloodyNora
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Marki - 4 Nov 2020 3:29 PM
Very quiet in here....

Obviously everyone is in awe & lost for words after seeing Daniel Craig's outstanding performance as 007 which aired on free to air tv a few nights ago...

Well, maybe it was just me...or maybe it was the talented Bond girl in it....couldn't stop wondering what her best position would be...striker, goal keeper, midfielder or maybe on the wing with a standard 4-4-2 formation or even back as a defender...
Edited
4 Years Ago by BloodyNora
Villi
Villi
Pro

A pretty comprehensive look at our season:-

T Baz & his coaching have plenty to work on which he should be able to turn around pretty quickly 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/04/bulldogs-2020-season-by-the-numbers/

Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Marki - 4 Nov 2020 3:29 PM
Very quiet in here....

It is amazing that he will win a second term. But he almost certainly will. The USA is either incredibly gullible or stupid, or maybe a bit of both. 

He is clearly a terrible leader and an embarrassment. But I’m assuming people believe FoxNews and because the audience are gullible simpletons that obviously is a massive issue. 

As usual, if you vote republican, you are either rich or stupid. The US isn’t full of rich people and the scariest thing is that Australia is becoming more American thanks to FoxNews

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search