BDP

Author
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Zef - 27 Feb 2021 10:50 PM
Allan was most impressive and I wasn’t surprised. I think a lot is gonna start from him this year.

Dietz isn’t in the 30 and we got one spot left that everyone hopes is for Burton at some stage. And though yes he was impressive it was Reggies v Reggies at that stage so let’s not close our one and only option based on 20 mins of reserve grade football.

Do it again, and again, and again and we’ll see around April maybe.

Someone on the Kennel mentioned the other day that Tyrone Harding has been released from the club. He also wasn’t present at the season launch 

If that’s the case, then the team has 28 signed to the top 30

Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Villi - 27 Feb 2021 11:28 PM

Someone on the Kennel mentioned the other day that Tyrone Harding has been released from the club. He also wasn’t present at the season launch 

If that’s the case, then the team has 28 signed to the top 30

Just keep in mind what Dietz did yesterday was in a 20 min Reggie v Reggie TRIAL.

And he’s been playing Reggies since 2014 with 77 games. You’d think, would you not, if he showed what he did in 20 mins of Reggies trial with any consistency across  the other 77 Reggie games played for competition points he would’ve played a lot, no plenty, of NRL wouldn’t you?

So let’s  like what we saw, but let’s see it again and again and again in Reggies before we pay and play him for doing it again, and again, and again based off a 20 min performance against players who really didn’t care that much about anything else except how they looked for the boss.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Marki - 27 Feb 2021 10:40 PM
Marki - 27 Feb 2021 10:38 PM

Come to think about it....
I'd make a really good Coach Director's role...

One might have to have at least half a footy brain for that role... and a shred of humility... you fall well short on both counts...
Kawana
Kawana
Under 7s
Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)

Zef - 28 Feb 2021 11:06 AM

Just keep in mind what Dietz did yesterday was in a 20 min Reggie v Reggie TRIAL.

And he’s been playing Reggies since 2014 with 77 games. You’d think, would you not, if he showed what he did in 20 mins of Reggies trial with any consistency across  the other 77 Reggie games played for competition points he would’ve played a lot, no plenty, of NRL wouldn’t you?

So let’s  like what we saw, but let’s see it again and again and again in Reggies before we pay and play him for doing it again, and again, and again based off a 20 min performance against players who really didn’t care that much about anything else except how they looked for the boss.

Exactly
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

My recollection of him playing reserve grade elsewhere is pretty similar.

He didn't do anything in the 20 minutes thst he hasn't done before, but it was compressed into a small time window.

He wasn't some random who just turned up, Baz invited him to trial.

On thst trail form he is in our top 30 but not necessarily the top 17, but JMK and Katoa are on notice and hooker is an area where I will welcome any improvement with open arms.

As to why he hasn't got a run in the NRL earlier, some of the time he has been playing for the Roosters reserve grade and they have a lot of good options. The fact that the Chooks 4th ot 5th choice might be better than JMK and Katoa, doesn't surprise me, it shouldn't surpise anyone.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Marki - 27 Feb 2021 10:40 PM
Marki - 27 Feb 2021 10:38 PM

Come to think about it....
I'd make a really good Coach Director's role...

Lol. You are an idiot
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

We should have kep Tolman. Experienced prop, someone  we don't  want, great swap for Burton
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

hounddog - 28 Feb 2021 3:51 PM

He didn't do anything in the 20 minutes thst he hasn't done before, but it was compressed into a small time window.

On thst trail form he is in our top 30 but not necessarily the top 17, but JMK and Katoa are on notice and hooker is an area where I will welcome any improvement with open arms.

As to why he hasn't got a run in the NRL earlier, some of the time he has been playing for the Roosters reserve grade and they have a lot of good options. The fact that the Chooks 4th ot 5th choice might be better than JMK and Katoa, doesn't surprise me, it shouldn't surpise anyone.

I think he played mainly for North Sydney feeder for Roosters and or Souths, perhaps also for the Dragons.

And player looking for a run in our 17 just needs to be better than the alternatives, JMK and Katoa are not setting a high bar.

DWZ and Hoppa also fairly ordinary in the trial,  probably in the round 1 NRL side at this stage, but if they don't play better one or both will be in reserve grade soon enough.

Forwards wise someone is going to miss out, there should be good competition for places.

Lewis, Britt and Stimson almost certainly in reserve grade and need some good performances to have a chance of NRL selection.

Some of the young pups impressed me in the last 20, they need to back that up with good lower grade form and wait for a chance.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Mooloolabadog - 28 Feb 2021 4:57 PM
We should have kep Tolman. Experienced prop, someone  we don't  want, great swap for Burton

I would swap Napa for Burton, it is a good deal for all.
But keep Napa until Tommo is back and see how the young forwards are travelling.

I also don't mind giving Averillo and Wakeham more time in the halves. I would also try Wakeham at hooker.

I  hope Baz is bold, conservative will not get results.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Surely a 4th or 5th choice Rorters hooker that carved up week in week out would’ve been snapped up earlier...
So while showing plenty of po I think it unlikely he’s been carving up week in and out or even fortnightly in Reggies...
And rolling the dice on a ‘night be better’ is not what takes us forward...
Plus Dr Mocki and Villi have backed him in... nuff said...

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 28 Feb 2021 6:36 PM

Surely a 4th or 5th choice Rorters hooker that carved up week in week out would’ve been snapped up earlier...
So while showing plenty of po I think it unlikely he’s been carving up week in and out or even fortnightly in Reggies...
And rolling the dice on a ‘night be better’ is not what takes us forward...
Plus Dr Mocki and Villi have backed him in... nuff said...

Your last line is a strong argument.

From what I remember he probably did 2-3 good runs per game and I seem to remember him scoring a few tries.

JMK has had the odd similar game at NRL level.

I don't expect him to be in the round 1 team, but I think we are likely to add him to our 30.
Centre and prop are 2 other positions we might strengthen.

For the trail itself our side wasn't that impressive in the first half and we can discount some of the last 20 mins.
Improvement is definitely needed IMO that means a few new faces are required or some players need to lift their game.

Marki is right in that 9,7,1 have a big influence in results in modern NRL, the top teams have good players in all 3, and a substandard 9 is like swimming a marathon carrying 6 house bricks, hard work.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Never seen so many Melbournians smiling at strangers as I have today... Masks off and teeth are out!!!... Keep it up you Mexicans...
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

You're missing the point Zef.
He was clearly better than any hooker we have had since Damian Cook.

Think what you want of him. All you have proven is that we have persisted with shit in the hooker position for way too long and some of the players who have been extremely lucky to get a consistent gig at it, wouldn't make it to park footy in any other club.

That's all you've proven.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Thank you HD.
You nailed it.

The important factor here is Barrett thought he was worth a chance to trial and boy did he impress. It's almost impossible for Barrett to think of him as anything but his go-to option from now on. 
Kawana
Kawana
Under 7s
Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)Under 7s (5 reputation)

Marki - 28 Feb 2021 10:00 PM

Thank you HD.
You nailed it.

The important factor here is Barrett thought he was worth a chance to trial and boy did he impress. It's almost impossible for Barrett to think of him as anything but his go-to option from now on. 

Steady on.  Half a hot day when the Reggies are on doesn't make a summer. A bit more evidence and caution needed.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Kawana - 1 Mar 2021 12:14 AM
Marki - 28 Feb 2021 10:00 PM

Steady on.  Half a hot day when the Reggies are on doesn't make a summer. A bit more evidence and caution needed.

Exactly. He did look good and he certainly should be a good chance at earning a contract. I believe both JMK and Katoa are off contract this year so there is a great chance Dietz could get plenty of game time. But it’s a bit early to start saying he is our best hooker going forward. Although I really hope he does continue to show that form.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 1 Mar 2021 11:40 AM
Kawana - 1 Mar 2021 12:14 AM

Exactly. He did look good and he certainly should be a good chance at earning a contract. I believe both JMK and Katoa are off contract this year so there is a great chance Dietz could get plenty of game time. But it’s a bit early to start saying he is our best hooker going forward. Although I really hope he does continue to show that form.

I see him as potentially on par with JMK with a chance of pushing ahead.

JMK starts at 9 in round 1.
Katoa starts 14 unless Wakeham is 14.

However is is worth adding Dietz to our top 30 and a few good games in reserve grade will see him pushing for 14 in NRL.

So as I see things we have 4 players competing for 2 positions, with Wakeham also competing for a spot in the halves. Ultimately regardless of who starts round 1, both positions are up for grabs, no player stands out as having a likely mortgage on 9 or 14.

I am assuming we have a 14 because that is a very logical thing to do. Currently we don't have a 9 who can play 80 mins well and have a big impact on games, no surpise very few teams have this, because only a handful of players can do it.

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Why it is worth carrying a extra hooker in the 30 is because the spot is up for grabs.

If Harding left, we can make do with one less winger expecially if a few guys come back from injury or we can put a good young player in the development squad.

The backline for 2022 is probably going to get a major overhaul, some players need to perform if the want to play backline positions for the dogs, the Fox and Allen have a likely mortgage on 2 positions. That only leaves 3 positions and I think we will sign more options for 22 onwards.

In spite of a slow start to his career, Okunbor is a likely contender for a wing spot.

Again we have competition for places and that is how it should be.
Kawana
Kawana
Under 7s

hounddog - 1 Mar 2021 2:05 PM
Why it is worth carrying a extra hooker in the 30 is because the spot is up for grabs.

If Harding left, we can make do with one less winger expecially if a few guys come back from injury or we can put a good young player in the development squad.

The backline for 2022 is probably going to get a major overhaul, some players need to perform if the want to play backline positions for the dogs, the Fox and Allen have a likely mortgage on 2 positions. That only leaves 3 positions and I think we will sign more options for 22 onwards.

In spite of a slow start to his career, Okunbor is a likely contender for a wing spot.

Again we have competition for places and that is how it should be.

I think you can Add Cotric to Fox and Allen
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Kawana - 1 Mar 2021 3:56 PM
hounddog - 1 Mar 2021 2:05 PM

I think you can Add Cotric to Fox and Allen

Opps good point.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 28 Feb 2021 8:48 PM
Never seen so many Melbournians smiling at strangers as I have today... Masks off and teeth are out!!!... Keep it up you Mexicans...

You need to find a better place to hang out, anywhere north of Mexico will do.

Maybe they are smiling because they think they will be let into other states.... no one job for Anastasia Alphabet is thinking up excuses to lock them out.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 1 Mar 2021 7:26 PM
dman2018 - 28 Feb 2021 8:48 PM

You need to find a better place to hang out, anywhere north of Mexico will do.

Maybe they are smiling because they think they will be let into other states.... no one job for Anastasia Alphabet is thinking up excuses to lock them out.

She doesn’t need to worry cos Dan wakes each day trying to figure out how to lock em in.,, I like Dan... ;)
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Ahhh MSM...
headline - NRL star breaks silence on alleged love triangle...
article - no additional comment beyond initial press release...
Was hoping for confirmation that AE calls his (as Steve would say) schnauzer ‘the love triangle’... 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 1 Mar 2021 8:05 PM
Ahhh MSM...
headline - NRL star breaks silence on alleged love triangle...
article - no additional comment beyond initial press release...
Was hoping for confirmation that AE calls his (as Steve would say) schnauzer ‘the love triangle’... 

Dutchy is telling all in tomorrow's telecrap 😁
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

One week til TLT!!!!...
Cmon Dogs!!!...
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 2 Mar 2021 6:32 PM
One week til TLT!!!!...
Cmon Dogs!!!...

You're already leading Villi in supercoach....
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 2 Mar 2021 9:59 PM

You're already leading Villi in supercoach....

Just excited to see us play,.. I hold high hopes for the season ahead!!!...
My predictions for the year -

GF - Melb - Canberra
Winner - Melb
CC medal - Munster
Dally M - Teddy
Dogs 7th (out in week 2)
Spoon - Sharks
First coach sacked - Morris
Tigers - 9th
SC - Top 100 finish 
Dr Mocki - will twist words and avoid the question
Villi - Will nominate everyone with a set of boots as a potential signing...

Marki
Marki
World Class

One week til TLT!!!!...
Cmon Dogs!!!...

Thursday Light Thooty?
Marki
Marki
World Class

dman2018 - 2 Mar 2021 10:16 PM
hounddog - 2 Mar 2021 9:59 PM

Just excited to see us play,.. I hold high hopes for the season ahead!!!...
My predictions for the year -

GF - Melb - Canberra
Winner - Melb
CC medal - Munster
Dally M - Teddy
Dogs 7th (out in week 2)
Spoon - Sharks
First coach sacked - Morris
Tigers - 9th
SC - Top 100 finish 
Dr Mocki - will twist words and avoid the question
Villi - Will nominate everyone with a set of boots as a potential signing...

You forgot the part where Danny Weidler interviews Aiden Tolman who advises that Morris has the full support of the playing group....
intrepidarts
intrepidarts
Super Fan
Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)Super Fan (156 reputation)

New rules Suk they have been invented by 50 60 yr old men who played the game at a different level and were sucking in the big ones with all the stoppages that were inclusive of the game.. they think because player fitness levels are higher they should be pushed harder..

Solution is to lower interchange and develop natural limitations..
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search