BDP

Author
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
hounddog - 23 Apr 2021 6:11 PM
ODF - 23 Apr 2021 5:41 PM

The refs need to play a role, teams will cheat at the ruck.

Ruck decisions can be arbitrary there are multiple reasons for a 6 again.

I think we were dudded round v Newcastle, but crowds influencing refs is nothing new.

That was probably the closest a ref  came to changing a game. But with the same ref calls, the Panthers, Storm,  Roosters and Rabbits probably still win.

Playing well enough to take the ref out of the equation is the best fix.
I first watched league on TV in 1973, back then people were complaining about the refs and the rules.
When I watch some of those old games now, the standard of play is much worse, the ball has a lot to do with that. Games were often slow and mistake riddled, especially on muddy grounds.

The game has to move with the times and be entertaining for young fans, No point in keeping us old dinasours happy if the game dies with us.

I'm not saying I want the game back in it's old format, it's come along way since the 60's even. What I want to see is a good tough contest with the thuggery removed, the cheating fvcked off and the referres doing their job and not influencing results. Some rules have improved the game some have stuffed it and others have made no sense at all. True Rugby League is a game of skill, mettle and stamina, yet they are trying to turn it into some form of fancy touch football where their hairdo stays put and their manicured nails don't get broken.. FMD if I wanted to watch showponies prancing around I'd follow the chooks.
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Interesting to note too. #13 for Souths is Murray, for Titans it’s Peachy. Newcastle are running Watson. Not big bodies at all.

I reckon if there’s any future for Lewis at our club, and I have my doubts, it’s #13 or nothing.

Yeah I know people will mention “leg speed”, which I reckon is a made up term that most who that use it don’t even know what it means... I certainly don’t... because it’s got no real meaning... but he’s got the defence and the skills, just needs the motor.

Which he might get or... see you later.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Zef
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Zef, if anyone has been reading my posts for the last 3 or 4 weeks that's what I have been saying.  He has a good left foot kick, a reasonably good defender and can cover the left side of the ruck. But anyway, T Baz will run it how he feels, he's the coach.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Zef - 23 Apr 2021 8:06 PM
Interesting to note too. #13 for Souths is Murray, for Titans it’s Peachy. Newcastle are running Watson. Not big bodies at all.

I reckon if there’s any future for Lewis at our club, and I have my doubts, it’s #13 or nothing.

Yeah I know people will mention “leg speed”, which I reckon is a made up term that most who that use it don’t even know what it means... I certainly don’t... because it’s got no real meaning... but he’s got the defence and the skills, just needs the motor.

I would like see to Lewis in the side. 

The other option is 5/8 / centre swapping with Averillo.
Lewis defending at centre and swapping with Averillo in attack, so Averillo sometimes plays centre in attack.

I know he doesn't have the speed for centre, but he may be faster than Hoppa.

By leg speed they mean acceleration like a 100 metre sprinter.
But if we remember earlier eras guys like Gary Hughes or Cliff Lyons were not that fast, but they were smart.
Overall lock is a bit more likely than centre, be would handle the defensive side.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
dman2018
dman2018
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Agree it may be his only hope but I can’t see it...

From what we’ve seen he has no speed or power off the mark, and doesn’t hit the line at speed or take on the line at all really... the blokes you mention have some toe (another made up term; what isn’t?) and do/have one or both of the above... which is generated by their legs working at speed...

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

ODF - 23 Apr 2021 8:19 PM
Zef, if anyone has been reading my posts for the last 3 or 4 weeks that's what I have been saying.  He has a good left foot kick, a reasonably good defender and can cover the left side of the ruck. But anyway, T Baz will run it how he feels, he's the coach.

If he took on the line more regularly in the halves it would add plenty to his game... I just can’t picture him taking hit ups...
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Isn’t that just aggression? People talk about “leg speed” as if it’s some definable skill, but what does it mean if it’s not pace or power?

If you haven’t got the pace then just f***in’ run harder and you got “leg speed”.

it’s a Joey Johns invented expression that means nothing.

Run fast or run hard and you got “leg speed”.

Tell Lewis to find the latter, because he hasn’t got the former, or give up on him.

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Winx had ‘leg speed’... She had average stride length but would take ave 2.7 strides per second compared the average horse at 2.3... over a minute she would end up 30 strides in front at an average horse...
Zef
Zef
Pro

dman2018 - 23 Apr 2021 9:15 PM
Winx had ‘leg speed’... She had average stride length but would take ave 2.7 strides per second compared the average horse at 2.3... over a minute she would end up 30 strides in front at an average horse...

That’s very good. But when they (Joey) is talking about the “leg speed” of  The Cheese orTaumololo I don’t think he’s talking about the length of his stride.

It’s aggression by any other name, and a better name.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Zef
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Zef - 23 Apr 2021 9:24 PM
dman2018 - 23 Apr 2021 9:15 PM

That’s very good. But when thety Joey) is talking about the “leg speed” of  The Cheese orTaumololo I don’t think he’s talking about the length of his stride.

It’s aggression by any other name, and a better name.

I wasn’t talking about length either...

Zef
Zef
Pro

Bottom line, I don’t believe it’s a “born with” or genetic ability, it’s a learned or “heart” ability.

If you got the heart for it, you can learn it.

Run hard, pump those legs. Put some “leg speed” into it.

Or go home.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

When I comes to terms I’ve never been a fan of ‘the spine’... 
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Zef - 23 Apr 2021 9:34 PM
Bottom line, I don’t believe it’s a “born with” or genetic ability, it’s a learned or “heart” ability.

Or go home.

Go hard or go home... unfortunately there’s nothing I’ve seen in Lewis’ game that would indicate the former is likely... but if there’s a year we and he can try it without it hurting us it’s this year, and last...
Zef
Zef
Pro

dman2018 - 23 Apr 2021 9:36 PM

type your messageGo hard or go home... unfortunately there’s nothing I’ve seen in Lewis’ game that would indicate the former is likely... but if there’s a year we and he can try it without it hurting us it’s this year, and last...

Well I think it’s his only hope or he’s gotta go.

But damn I”d love him to succeed there, he’s got the skill and he’s got the defence and a kick.

But in the halves he’s just... clueless. The touch judge has more chance of running onto one of his passes than an outside back.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Zef - 23 Apr 2021 9:34 PM

Or go home.

Some people are just faster sprinters than others.

But a short cut us to run onto the ball, another option is to use some footwork, intent and training can improve things.

It is also true that speed equals power, muscles that can accelerate fast can also put on a surge of power to break a tackle.

If you have played sport, you know how fast you are.
Someone like Lewis who is a young elite athlete can't actually be slow.  Does he have the surge power to break tackles? Probably not IMO, he does have a footy brain and a good kicking game.

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Zef - 23 Apr 2021 9:44 PM
dman2018 - 23 Apr 2021 9:36 PM

Well I think it’s his only hope or he’s gotta go.

But damn I”d love him to succeed there, he’s got the skill and he’s got the defence and a kick.

But in the halves he’s just... clueless. The touch judge has more chance of running onto one of his passes than an outside back.

I’d love to see him succeed too... he thinks the touch judge is a decoy... playing in the middle his cut out balls are a chance of hitting the winger..
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

dman2018 - 23 Apr 2021 9:57 PM
Zef - 23 Apr 2021 9:44 PM

I’d love to see him succeed too... he thinks the touch judge is a decoy... playing in the middle his cut out balls are a chance of hitting the winger..

Ditto.

I think he can add something to the side, but we will not know until we try.

He can't be in a fulltime role in the halves unless he can improve his play selection and execution.

His last game in the halves in reserve grade was quite good.

As a lock if he isn't a runner he is playing as a linking passer, but we give up a big middle forward for yardage.
We need the rest of the team to make good metres if he is mainly playing as a passer.

Props aren't always fast, but they are big, a smaller middle player who isn't fast may lose yards. Just try it and see how it goes IMO 1-2 games is all we need 
. We might be surprised how well it works.

Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Hoping Ava Seafood Salad has a good debut tomorrow for the Dogs!

Just read the article on him taking a huge pay cut to be with his young daughter here in Sydney than in Leeds

Good Luck Ava & Dogs.... we need a win
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Surely the comments purported to have been made by Penrith CEO Fletcher re Matt Burton are against the interest of the game. In  SMH he is quoted as saying he has told Matt Burton to get out of the Bulldogs' contract. FFS are NRL contracts different to any other contracts? You'd certainly have to think so. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/worst-move-for-his-career-panthers-boss-wants-burton-to-backflip-on-bulldogs-20210423-p57lwd.html

Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Steveswr33333 - 24 Apr 2021 8:50 AM
Surely the comments purported to have been made by Penrith CEO Fletcher re Matt Burton are against the interest of the game. In  SMH he is quoted as saying he has told Matt Burton to get out of the Bulldogs' contract. FFS are NRL contracts different to any other contracts? You'd certainly have to think so. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/worst-move-for-his-career-panthers-boss-wants-burton-to-backflip-on-bulldogs-20210423-p57lwd.html

NRL..... ‘nothing to see here’
ODF
ODF
Pro

What a load of sh!t. Penriff had no intention of playing him and only wanted to rub our noses in it, they had no confidence that he would be better than their current halfs. Due to injury they had no choice but to play him and he showed them that he is so much better than they realised and they are now shitting bricks that they made a mistake and let him sign with us. Wont it be gold next year when we play the pennies and destroy them.
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

dman2018 - 23 Apr 2021 7:40 PM
Marki - 23 Apr 2021 6:45 PM

Only the club can allow that, not ‘the game’...

Wrong. You dont know contracts my friend.

The club has only a contract with severance clauses to depend on. It's just a legal fight.
The "game" decides if the dissolution of the contract contravenes their moral position and they decide if they re-register any new contract for him.

And we all know the NRL wont want to hurt the NRL darlings. 

So if it goes down that path, we are fekked.

But I hope it doesn't cost us a chance in getting Reynolds
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

dman2018 - 23 Apr 2021 7:52 PM
Marki - 23 Apr 2021 6:45 PM
)
If Burton doesn’t want to come here cos we’ve not created a safe space m, why would Reynolds want to join???...

Burton may have cold feet not because we arent a safe space... but a troubled space.

He is playing in a premiership contending team (one of the hottest favourites in the history of the game) with that team now looking to give him him what he wants - a spot in the 17 and pay packet to suit.

Do the math.
Zef
Zef
Pro

Marki - 24 Apr 2021 9:36 AM
dman2018 - 23 Apr 2021 7:40 PM

Wrong. You dont know contracts my friend.

The club has only a contract with severance clauses to depend on. It's just a legal fight.
The "game" decides if the dissolution of the contract contravenes their moral position and they decide if they re-register any new contract for him.

And we all know the NRL wont want to hurt the NRL darlings. 

So if it goes down that path, we are fekked.

But I hope it doesn't cost us a chance in getting Reynolds

I think you’re the one who doesn’t understand contracts if you think The NRL would re-register one of their own broken contracts, hence making their own contracts worthless.

DMan is right, the only party who can release this contract is us.

End of.
Marki
Marki
World Class

ODF - 23 Apr 2021 8:05 PM
hounddog - 23 Apr 2021 6:11 PM

I'm not saying I want the game back in it's old format, it's come along way since the 60's even. What I want to see is a good tough contest with the thuggery removed, the cheating fvcked off and the referres doing their job and not influencing results. Some rules have improved the game some have stuffed it and others have made no sense at all. True Rugby League is a game of skill, mettle and stamina, yet they are trying to turn it into some form of fancy touch football where their hairdo stays put and their manicured nails don't get broken.. FMD if I wanted to watch showponies prancing around I'd follow the chooks.

I think what you need ODF is to watch older classic games reviewed under video ref scrutiny.

I think you'll find alot of No Trys on many you thought were great.

That's the problem. Rugby League traditionalists are nostalgic about the theatre of rugby league. Not necessarily a game played or policed to the rules.

I'm not saying the game is less ambiguous now and not flawed, but I reckon they get many more correct decisions nowdays than not. It's problem lies with inconsistencies of ref rule applications rather then policing. 
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

It is glaringly  obvious that  the  first  thing  we must do is improve our defence. We are bleeding  an average  34 points per game. Even the highest scoring teams  are not scoring at that rate.  We cannot be successful  without  getting  our defence right.
Villi
Villi
Pro

So did we sign Burton to a 2 or 3yr deal?

I read somewhere he’s got a clause in his contract with us in his favour for the final year... does that mean, he’s locked in for next year, but he can leave the following year?
Marki
Marki
World Class

Cant be Lewis. Doesnt run or have a desire to do so.

The player you think of is the player you dont want at hooker as you believe the hooker should pass first and run 2nd.

The player that fits this new age 13 is the hooker I want. It's the player that sees space and runs at it - with speed. The player works better if he has tackle breaking ability and aggression like the bsulked up Peachey or Murray.

Not sure what Hook has in mind at Dragons but dont be surprised to see Jack Bird in this role. Wighton can also do it for Raiders.

But they dont need to coz they have a hooker of the mould that I talk about - Starling. 
Zef
Zef
Pro

All we have to do is say no, and that’s the end of that.

Or...

Sure, if you release two players of appropriate value to us, and one of them must be named Crichton... the good one.

Penrith have as much chance of us releasing Burton to them for ‘22 and beyond as we did of having Penrith release Burton to us for ‘21.

What was it The Penrith chairman said about that... something along the lines of they’d consider it if a deal would heavily favour them.

Yeah... something like that.

Well..... Crichton and........?
Marki
Marki
World Class

Zef - 23 Apr 2021 9:05 PM
Isn’t that just aggression? People talk about “leg speed” as if it’s some definable skill, but what does it mean if it’s not pace or power?

If you haven’t got the pace then just f***in’ run harder and you got “leg speed”.

it’s a Joey Johns invented expression that means nothing.

Run fast or run hard and you got “leg speed”.

Tell Lewis to find the latter, because he hasn’t got the former, or give up on him.

In my opinion, you cant get rid of Lewis until you've adequately replaced him.

You need him there to remind the halves how shit they really are. Once you've got your other halves keeping Lewis out of the team, you can release him.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search