Independent A league thread

Independent A league thread

Author
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Buggalugs 2.0 - 4 Oct 2018 2:50 PM
Gyfox - 4 Oct 2018 2:34 PM

'some cash'   lol

Whats a billion when you've got 10.  ;)
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

The link below is to a pdf entitled "Structural Overview of German Professional Football".  A large part of the presentation deals with club licensing but the first few pages give details of the relationship and roles of the DFB, League Association and the League operator.  It also details the calculation of the fees the League and clubs pay the DFB and the state associations the clubs operate in.  There are many other documents around that give information on how football works in Germany but this is a good, easy to follow summary.  Its worth noting that the Treaty between the DFB and the League Association mentioned in one of the charts was recently renegotiated and extended for 7 years.

I like the German model as I believe it ties in extremely well with the FIFA Standard Statutes whereas the EPL model doesn't.

http://www.sportbusinesscentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ChristianMueller.pdf

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

nomates - 3 Oct 2018 10:18 PM
Maybe now we don't have to play in stupid big stadiums, we can play at smaller venues to suit the crowds.

yep

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Gyfox - 4 Oct 2018 2:30 PM
azzaMVFC - 4 Oct 2018 1:15 PM

They pulled their sponsorship out of the FFA Cup and increased their sponsorship of the Matildas and W-League.  I wouldn't expect that the Westfields sponsorship will go anywhere soon.  The chairman of the Board is a football man and Steve Lowy is a director.

http://footballtoday.news/features/fact-check-sponsor-exodus

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Gyfox - 4 Oct 2018 2:47 PM
Lurker - 4 Oct 2018 1:28 PM

I understand that it was offered by the clubs to get the members of the CRWG to agree on their report and thats why it got into Resolution 2.

When you look at the whole resolution theres no way that anyone can have any certainty at this stage about what the governance structure will be and certainly the expectation of it looking like the EPL is premature.

I certainly hope we don't adopt  an EPL style setup. It simply isn't sustainable in Australia. 
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

The DFB model allows for rapid growth if their success is a useful metric.

All-in-all, the final resolution that came out of the CRWG was quite sound.  It calms down the expectations of the radicals and doesn't frighten the conservatives.
The one thing it doesn't do as I far as I can judge is guarantee anybody anything.  In fact, it's arguable that without good-faith negotiation nobody will get anywhere.

We won't know til next year how things are going because there will be a lot of quiet back room lobbying taking place.  Living in interesting times.

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

SWandP - 5 Oct 2018 12:26 PM
 Living in interesting times.

That Football Administration is more interesting than the main League tells a story

SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 5 Oct 2018 12:28 PM
SWandP - 5 Oct 2018 12:26 PM

That Football Administration is more interesting than the main League tells a story

You possibly haven't realised yet that your interest in the Administration side of things isn't broadly mirrored in the wider community - even in the football community.

However I want to make a point: My enthusiasm for the DFB model hangs on a couple of simple and basic concepts.

Their 50+1 rule requires that the licences are held by real clubs.  I don't know how the DFB define what a real club is but that is a foundation stone of their League.
It means that big pocket investors can't just roll in and start up with a sponsor's name and get a licence.
I genuinely believe it is in the best interest of the A League Clubs to become real clubs.  Some are nearly there anyway.  It could probably be sold to them as some sort of loyalty bonus concept.  Who knows what appeals to them?  It needs to happen formally and irreversibly.

Because sugar-daddys can't just float in, they are able to keep a tight reign on expenditure vs earnings.  This works well as an incentive for individual Clubs to market their product, keeps them solvent and apparently brings the advantages of a salary cap without the fine grained silliness and endless variations that undermine it.

The League is required to play in modern safe stadiums with good facilities.  Talk of moving to suburban shit-holes to save money should die right there.  (As popular as that is with the rabble at the moment).

Not a whole lot of change need in outlook or setup, but it would change the fundamentals of football in this country forever.

Blew.2
Blew.2
Rising Star
Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)

Just watching Bathurst coverage and thinking how the split to an independent board (Away from CAMS) has built V8super cars into a thriving International spectator sport, with a dedicated 2nd tier.

Is this model possible to adapt to football

Clear Contact There

SWandP
SWandP
Pro

Blew.2 - 7 Oct 2018 9:29 AM
Just watching Bathurst coverage and thinking how the split to an independent board (Away from CAMS) has built V8super cars into a thriving International spectator sport, with a dedicated 2nd tier.

Is this model possible to adapt to football

No because football will be fully electric and self playing within 10 years.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

Time will tell I guess, however we have no guarantees on either expansion nor P & R.

My hope as always is for a 16 team competition with a second division and in time P & R in time.

We have something like 15 [I think] expressions of interest to join.

I have no idea if the new board can mandate as part of the licence agreement FFA will give an independent A-League that both expansion of the A-League and P & R need to take place.

To date the A-League clubs have refused requests from the media to offer their intentions on the matter.

IMO the big test of the new board will in the key requirements by FFA for an independently run A-League.

I think it's in the interest of both the state feds and the PFA to have more professional clubs. Whereas it seems a number of A-League clubs want to recover their investment, I just can't see the Nix wanting P & R as once regulated its difficult to see them making a come back and the current rugby loving owners do want their investment back.

Interesting and hopefully fruitful times ahead. 

Lets all hope for the best possible outcome.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Midfielder
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Nix's owners where on sports radio NZ and stated that new licences for all clubs were to be written up when it becomes independent, Nix will be given a 20 year deal just like every other Aussie club including ACL qualifying. 

Wellington Phoenix FC

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ nomates

They can’t know any of that.

First, the working group has to decide the model.

Secondly, the new Congress has to vote it through. .
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

nomates - 7 Oct 2018 7:45 PM
Nix's owners where on sports radio NZ and stated that new licences for all clubs were to be written up when it becomes independent, Nix will be given a 20 year deal just like every other Aussie club including ACL qualifying. 
 that's not the issue the issue is we have just gone through two to three years of civil war that was for more than for the control of A-League revenue it was for a new teams and P N R .

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Midfielder - 7 Oct 2018 7:50 PM
 that's not the issue the issue is we have just gone through two to three years of civil war that was for more than for the control of A-League revenue it was for a new teams and P N R .

Yeah there was no talk of new teams or P/R just on our future going forward "IF" A-League becomes independent.

Wellington Phoenix FC

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

ACL qualifying is up to the AFC, not the FFA, regardless of who is in charge of the latter. 

Entry Manual for AFC Club Competitions 2017-2020, Section 3, Clause 5:
When determining the number of clubs in the national top division league of an MA, ‘foreign’ clubs shall not be considered.
The AFC General Secretariat has sole discretion to determine whether a club shall be considered a ‘foreign’ club for the above purpose.

http://www.the-afc.com/afc/documents/PdfFiles/entry-manual-afc-club-competitions-2017-2020-33728

There'll be no change in Phoenix's eligibility, and indeed if we go to 12 teams they'll be the reason we don't get four slots, which is what we should already have going off our ranking.

Is the deal of handing over $3m a year to a bunch of Kiwis in a windy oval with two blokes and a sheep watching worth giving up an ACL spot for Australian teams?
Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

They don't even know who will be on the FFA board. Nice try though.
Blew.2
Blew.2
Rising Star
Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)

bohemia - 7 Oct 2018 8:54 PM

They don't even know who will be on the FFA board. Nice try though.

But they will have a good idea of how an independent A-League will be structured!

Clear Contact There

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Blew.2 - 8 Oct 2018 6:07 AM
bohemia - 7 Oct 2018 8:54 PM

But they will have a good idea of how an independent A-League will be structured!

The clubs no doubt know how they want it to be structured but they certainly don't know whether they can convince the rest of the people on the NLWG to agree to that.  Remember also that the restructure will require a change to the constitution and that means a 75% vote of the members eligible to vote on the resolution and with the clubs and PFA agreeing not to be involved in the vote its almost certain that the clubs will have to accept a compromise.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Gyfox - 8 Oct 2018 9:31 AM
Blew.2 - 8 Oct 2018 6:07 AM

The clubs no doubt know how they want it to be structured but they certainly don't know whether they can convince the rest of the people on the NLWG to agree to that.  Remember also that the restructure will require a change to the constitution and that means a 75% vote of the members eligible to vote on the resolution and with the clubs and PFA agreeing not to be involved in the vote its almost certain that the clubs will have to accept a compromise.

I reckon any comprises will be relating to the fees paid back to the FFA. I don't think there will be many compromises on the actual structure. I reckon much of the bulk of the the details would already be agreed upon in principle, hence why the vote was unanimous. I reckon this change will happen relatively promptly with very little in the way of push back from anyone. 
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

someguyjc - 8 Oct 2018 9:44 AM
Gyfox - 8 Oct 2018 9:31 AM

I reckon any comprises will be relating to the fees paid back to the FFA. I don't think there will be many compromises on the actual structure. I reckon much of the bulk of the the details would already be agreed upon in principle, hence why the vote was unanimous. I reckon this change will happen relatively promptly with very little in the way of push back from anyone. 

There is nothing in the NLWG resolution that gives any indication that a structure has been agreed in principle, however, there are many issues raised in it that need to be resolved in order to determine a suitable governance structure, to detail the relationship to the FFA and to sort out what contribution the Professional Leagues should make to the wider operation of football.  About half of the people on the NLWG have not previously been involved in the negotiations on the CRWG so how the NLWG determinations finally come out is anyone's guess at this stage.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Gyfox - 8 Oct 2018 12:38 PM
someguyjc - 8 Oct 2018 9:44 AM

There is nothing in the NLWG resolution that gives any indication that a structure has been agreed in principle, however, there are many issues raised in it that need to be resolved in order to determine a suitable governance structure, to detail the relationship to the FFA and to sort out what contribution the Professional Leagues should make to the wider operation of football.  About half of the people on the NLWG have not previously been involved in the negotiations on the CRWG so how the NLWG determinations finally come out is anyone's guess at this stage.

Obviously I'm just making assumptions here, however with talk of the independence being finalised in March 2019, a lot of core issues would have definitely been discussed and negotiated already (behind closed doors of course). Not a lot of time between now and March, especially seeing as the new board won't be in place until next month. If that March target is to be met, a lot of people would already be on the same page.
Blew.2
Blew.2
Rising Star

APFCA - The future as we see it

Clear Contact There

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Blew.2 - 1 Mar 2019 7:39 AM

After reading that, the FFA are a massive failure.
Blew.2
Blew.2
Rising Star

Any new rumours over there?

Clear Contact There

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Blew.2 - 20 Mar 2019 12:43 PM
Any new rumours over there?

11 days til deadline day. 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 3 Oct 2018 4:12 PM
SWandP - 3 Oct 2018 4:02 PM

Optus having the rights to a second division with a game or two a week on SBS would be proper

there's no reason why this couldnt happen.  optus starts to look good with that on top of their current roster.

it could be so budget as well -  single camera and a couple commentators to start if off. 

Burztur
Burztur
World Class

Can Optus produce the content? (i.e. have the cameras etc)
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

will the new board give us a shorter a off season? 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ MelbCityGuy

The new board are proposing a 16 team/30 round competition with international breaks so in theory it will be a month longer.

The inhibitor of course is fox who want a shorter season, not longer.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search