12.82% - 5 votes Ninkovic
12.82% 5 votes
10.26% - 4 votes Berisha
10.26% 4 votes
7.69% - 3 votes Carlos Hernandez
7.69% 3 votes
0% - 0 votes Isais
0% 0 votes
Member Votes: 39, Guest Votes: 0. You don't have permission to vote within this poll.
Author
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Cappuccino - 14 Feb 2019 3:21 PM
This is exactly why this forum is dead.

Fuck me.

You don't think Brox is the tallest (and possibly most handsome) player to have played the A-League?
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

aok - 14 Feb 2019 3:22 PM
Cappuccino - 14 Feb 2019 3:21 PM

You don't think Brox is the tallest (and possibly most handsome) player to have played the A-League?

Imagine how good a CB he would be if he had 6 more inches.
I do not think being more handsome would help his game.

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I measure ‘best’ by entertainment value.
King Carlos was the best.
It was even entertaining listening to opposition fans talk about how he was being paid in kfc meals instead of cash.

Brandan was second best. Always some controversy from his appearance to his performance to theatrics.

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 3:26 PM
aok - 14 Feb 2019 3:22 PM

Imagine how good a CB he would be if he had 6 more inches.
I do not think being more handsome would help his game.

We should thank our lucky stars that he isn't any taller, otherwise he would have spent his entire career at Barca and we would have been deprived of his brilliance.
Keeper66
Keeper66
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 1:23 PM
RedKat - 14 Feb 2019 1:11 PM

Good call on Theo (9). I suppose Keepers should count. They are people (sort of) after all.
Will be interesting to see if Brox catches him in the next year or 2.
So the poll should have been - vote for Muscat, Theo, Brox, anybody else close ?
(All 3 where MV).

Do you have to try to be an A grade tosser or is it just your normal persona?
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Keeper66 - 14 Feb 2019 3:51 PM
Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 1:23 PM

Do you have to try to be an A grade tosser or is it just your normal persona?

Which bit is upsetting your delicate nature?

For me, Broxham is the A leagues best. Can see why Theo should get a mention. Muscat should get a mention too.
The rest is all very subjective. A few years where you play nice football on the eye is very different to be the best.

Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

Edited
5 Years Ago by Iknowbest
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 3:54 PM
Keeper66 - 14 Feb 2019 3:51 PM

Which bit is upsetting your delicate nature?

For me, Broxham is the A leagues best. Can see why Theo should get a mention. Muscat should get a mention too.
The rest is all very subjective. A few years where you play nice football on the eye is very different to be the best.

So in other words the only criteria for "best" is trophies won and talent and contribution to success is practically irrelevant. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I am biased as I have watched Ninkovic the most, and rate him the highest. His ability to relieve pressure on the ball all over the field is something Sydney will dearly miss when he eventually leaves.
Maybe I didn't watch him enough but I never rated Broich as highly as everyone else seemed to. He seemed to be dangerous as function of how good Brisbane were rather than Brisbane because of him. I was always far more scared of what Berisha, Carlos Hernandez and Archie Thompson could do.
I think I only don't rate Castro because Sydney have been so adept at keeping him and the whole Perth team quiet in nearly every game his played against us.
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Paul Ifill should be up there, he was killing it at the Nix.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

sydneyfc1987 - 14 Feb 2019 5:02 PM
Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 3:54 PM

So in other words the only criteria for "best" is trophies won and talent and contribution to success is practically irrelevant. 

The "talent and contribution to success" is what wins the trophies. You do not get a trophy for just being there.

Angus
Angus
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 12:43 PM
Perhaps we need to put Kevin Muscat as "A leagues Best". He has 9 trophies.

He did take the best penalty in the A-League.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 9:47 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 14 Feb 2019 5:02 PM

You do not get a trophy for just being there.

Thats kinda what Broxham has done though isn't it? 

He's a decent A-League player, but you could of replaced him with half a dozen A-League players in any of the years that have Victory won silverware and the result would have likely been the same. 

Take Broich, Ninkovic Berisha or Archie Thompson out of those sides and I seriously doubt the season would of been as successful. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 14 Feb 2019 10:04 PM
Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 9:47 PM

Thats kinda what Broxham has done though isn't it? 

He's a decent A-League player, but you could of replaced him with half a dozen A-League players in any of the years that have Victory won silverware and the result would have likely been the same. 

Take Broich, Ninkovic Berisha or Archie Thompson out of those sides and I seriously doubt the season would of been as successful. 

Decent squaddie at best. Wouldn't even make the bench at SFC, AU or Perth. 

Saying he's the best ever player in the league is laughable.
Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 12:20 PM
marconi101 - 14 Feb 2019 12:14 PM

A bit of merit in that. I would still go Brox (8) as NTS (2) resulted in less trophies. NTS does have an ACL trophy so I can see your point but not quite.

Danny Simpson has won more EPL titles than Gerrard, does that make him a better footballer? Absolutely not.

Judging players only on the trophies won is ridiculous imo.
sub007
sub007
World Class

For me Castro is the best player ever imo. Tearing up the league at age 36 and has 36 goals and 16 assists in 86 games while never played in a team that has finished higher than 5th on the table.
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

Read the thread title.
"A leagues best" it does not say "best player to have ever played in the A league" 
You do comprehend the difference?
Some of you guys really are a bit slow on the uptake.
If you what it to be "a subjective guide to the best player to have ever played in the A league" then make another thread.
Theo, Muscat or Brox are the clear winners of this thread.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Iknowbest
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

I cant believe no-ones mention Zwaanswijk, bloke is the closest defender to winning the warren since its inception. He was a delight to watch in defence, and he was the base on which graham arnold moulded his great Central coast team of misfits, that took brissie all the way.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

It's hard to compare the best player due to pure quality over a single season or consistently high performing over a number of years so I'm gonna a bit of both.

For me the top five is pretty clear, after that it's hard to order them.

1. Broich
2. Berisha
3. Thompson
4. Ninkovic
5. Castro

Mierzejewski and Delpierre were so dominant in their short stints that they demand a high spot. Smeltz's goal scoring record is hard to ignore and Milligan, Brosque and McKay are definitely in the conversation after playing such important roles for so long. 

Viennese Vuck

Edited
5 Years Ago by melbourne_terrace
sub007
sub007
World Class

Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 11:22 PM
Read the thread title.
"A leagues best" it does not say "best player to have ever played in the A league" 
You do comprehend the difference?
Some of you guys really are a bit slow on the uptake.
If you what it to be "a subjective guide to the best player to have ever played in the A league" then make another thread.
Theo, Muscat or Brox are the clear winners of this thread.

it's very clear that the thread is about who we think is the best ever HAL player, not who was won the most trophies.

Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

sub007 - 15 Feb 2019 12:06 AM
Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 11:22 PM
it's very clear that the thread is about who we think is the best ever HAL player, not who was won the most trophies.

Best ever A league player is still Brox.
I think what you wanted to say is "Best A league player over a short 2-3 year period, no defenders allowed as the game is all about looking pretty".

Edited
5 Years Ago by Iknowbest
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
sub007 - 14 Feb 2019 10:20 PM
For me Castro is the best player ever imo. Tearing up the league at age 36 and has 36 goals and 16 assists in 86 games while never played in a team that has finished higher than 5th on the table.

Not to try and trigger Perth fans, but I don't think Castro can be classified as the best ever HAL player when to date he still hasn't been the best player in any individual year he's been here. 

2015-16 Mooy
2016-17 Ninkovic
2017-18 Ninkovic/Miejereswki

This year he only has a total of 3 goals and 1 assists and missed 1/3rd of the season.

I'm not knocking his quality, he's been by far and away one of the best foreigners we've had year in year out and I love watching him play, but many others have had better outputs for longer periods of time + led their team to success.  He doesn't really hold a candle to the obvious front runners like Broich/Berisha IMO.

Edited
5 Years Ago by jlm8695
Solano
Solano
Fan
Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)Fan (77 reputation)

Iknowbest - 14 Feb 2019 8:24 AM
Everybody has missed the point.

In a Salary caped league, that has discounts for long term players then it has to be Leigh Broxham especially when you take into account how many positions and how many years he has played.
After all playing football is about helping your team win trophies. It is not an individual sport.
Castro is still on 0 and will never get past a few.
Does anybody have more A league trophies than Brox? I think he has 8? Does anybody come close to that? Does anybody except Berisha even have half of that?

Think about it - You know I am right.

As a Victory supporter, I have a lot of man love for Broxy. However, if the greatest A-league team of all time were to be picked, Broxy would not feature, that's a fact. His trophy count is undeniable/

As far as this thread goes, Broich was a delight to watch and would be one of the first picked in any side.

Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

I am sorry folks but you have all failed to convince me.
The A league is a salary cap league that struggles to make a profit.
Every player therefore needs to be assessed on their cost for the return they give (which can only be measured in trophies).
Given the thread is A leagues Best my original post still holds true.

In a Salary caped league, that has discounts for long term players then it has to be Leigh Broxham especially when you take into account how many positions and how many years he has played.
After all playing football is about helping your team win trophies. It is not an individual sport.
Castro is still on 0 and will never get past a few.
Does anybody have more A league trophies than Brox? I think he has 8? Does anybody come close to that? Does anybody except Berisha even have half of that?

Special mentions for Theo and Muscat.
If you want a different thread for the prettiest player for a season then go for it but we already have awards for that each year.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Iknowbest
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Please change your username. Its been proven Iknowbest not you

ARNIE= LEGEND

Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

RedKat - 15 Feb 2019 11:21 AM
Please change your username. Its been proven Iknowbest not you

I am correct.
Do not get disappointed at me for being right yet again.
You are the one who constructed  a very poor thread with no guidelines on a very subjective topic.

The point I have being making is very valid and hopefully has made some of the simpletons on here think about what is actually the A leagues Best.
It is not a player that comes and goes. It is not a player that does not produce a trophy.
It is a player that creates passion (like Brox) and fans (like Honda).

Yes of course some players are more talented in some respects than Boxham. That was never my point.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Iknowbest
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Iknowbest - 15 Feb 2019 11:31 AM
RedKat - 15 Feb 2019 11:21 AM

I am correct.
Do not get disappointed at me for being right yet again.
You are the one who constructed  a very poor thread with no guidelines on a very subjective topic.

The point I have being making is very valid and hopefully has made some of the simpletons on here think about what is actually the A leagues Best.
It is not a player that comes and goes. It is not a player that does not produce a trophy.
It is a player that creates passion (like Brox) and fans (like Honda).

Yes of course some players are more talented in some respects than Boxham. That was never my point.

The only simpleton is you, as you are completely unable to think abstractly even a minuscule amount and have taken the topic ridiculously linearly. 

If Ronaldo came down for a few season he'd be the A League's best ever player without a doubt, not bloody Brox just because he has some longevity of being average. People can make a larger impact in a shorter time frame than others do in a longer period of time.
Edited
5 Years Ago by City Sam
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

City Sam - 15 Feb 2019 12:00 PM
Iknowbest - 15 Feb 2019 11:31 AM

The only simpleton is you, as you are completely unable to think abstractly even a minuscule amount and have taken the topic ridiculously linearly. 

If Ronaldo came down for a few season he'd be the A League's best ever player without a doubt, not bloody Brox just because he has some longevity of being average. People can make a larger impact in a shorter time frame than others do in a longer period of time.

I have never said Brox is a better player than Castro.
I have answered the thread.
A leagues Best.

I have suggested that a new thread be started for those of you who care to find "The Best player to have played in the A league". It would need criteria.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Iknowbest
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Iknowbest - 15 Feb 2019 12:04 PM
City Sam - 15 Feb 2019 12:00 PM

I have never said Brox is a better player than Castro.
I have answered the thread.
A leagues Best.

Yes and i am saying people can make a larger impact in a few years than others do in 10. Brox is nothing more than an easily replaceable squad player.
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro

City Sam - 15 Feb 2019 12:07 PM
Iknowbest - 15 Feb 2019 12:04 PM

Yes and i am saying people can make a larger impact in a few years than others do in 10. Brox is nothing more than an easily replaceable squad player.

I do not think MV would have ended up with the 8 trophies they have without Brox.
They might have been able to get a few of those without him. It is difficult to say.
But saying he is just a squad player is selling him way short. Squad players do not make the difference between winning silverware or nothing. Squad players do not cover as many positions as he does. Squad players do not give you the long term player bonus to help build the rest of your team. Squad players do not have fans with their name on the back of their tops.

Theo has 9 - not sure how many his teams would have made without him. It is hard to say.
Muscat - well you have to say he has been great for the league. 
Castro has helped win 0. Should get 1 or 2 by end of year so if he has another 5 years in him who knows. You may end up being right. His poor approach to the last few years have held Perth back from achieving what they should have. So you have to look at his down side too. This year he does pre-season and look what happens.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

Redkat started the thread iknowbest. I think he knows what he meant by "best" better than you.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search