What the A-League can learn from Korea's promotion, relegation lessons

What the A-League can learn from Korea's promotion, relegation lessons...

Author
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

Group: Moderators
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/what-the-a-league-can-learn-from-korea-s-promotion-relegation-lessons

Interesting article that notes how quite a few of South Korea's national team players were developed in their second division.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JoyfulPenguin - 6 Jun 2019 12:36 AM
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/what-the-a-league-can-learn-from-korea-s-promotion-relegation-lessons

Interesting article that notes how quite a few of South Korea's national team players were developed in their second division.

thats a good read 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Two things apparently:

1. It wasn’t as bad as it’s opponents feared it would be. 

2. It wasn’t as good for the game as it’s supporters said it would be. 
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Everything we sort of already know but nonetheless a fantastic read. 

The biggest thing for me is the pathways. I know it gets spoken about on here constantly but it’s so true. Look at someone like Aziz behich. Dropped by victory and was very very lucky to be picked up by heart. 

In in my opinion Daniel De Silva is a perfect example. Seems to have lost his way recently IMO. If he went down to a second division for a year and absolutely bosses it he comes back a fantastic player. 

Then there’s the whole coaching side of things. It would do absolute wonders for a hell of a lot of people. 

Then, imagine you scrap the cap and allow the big boys (Sydney, victory etc) to pay transfer fees for second division club players. A club like south Melbourne could make hundreds of thousands of dollars each year from producing their own players. So a team, not even in the first division is beginning to become profitable purely from having a decent academy. 

When the second division starts it will be an amazing day for me. Bring it on. 
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I’ve got to say I’ve completely changed my opinion on this in the last year. I used to be completely against p/r and removing the cap, but seeing the lack of growth under the current model and lack of player development has reversed my view.

One reason is seeing CCM drag the league down. Another is looking at the early loan experience some of the EPL stars in the Belgian national squad had in their 2nd division. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Aljay - 6 Jun 2019 7:27 AM
I’ve got to say I’ve completely changed my opinion on this in the last year. I used to be completely against p/r and removing the cap, but seeing the lack of growth under the current model and lack of player development has reversed my view.

One reason is seeing CCM drag the league down. Another is looking at the early loan experience some of the EPL stars in the Belgian national squad had in their 2nd division. 

I haven’t changed my view (supporter of pro/rel) but your comment underlines one of the dangers in the thinking towards the subject - on its own pro/rel will not fix anything despite what some supporters think (that’s one of the lessons from Korea). Relegating CCM won’t fix anything either, there’ll always be a new CCM even if they do keep getting relegated. 

If the league is underfunded it will it will continue to struggle, if club owners (whether they single owners, consortiums or member based organisations) see revenue their competition earns diverted “for the greater good” they will be reluctant to invest, if the game is held hostage to an unsympathetic broadcaster it will continue to struggle, if Administrators keep fucking up it will struggle ... the list goes on. 

Pro/Rel needs to be a small part of the fix. But it is not the fix 
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Waz - 6 Jun 2019 6:24 AM
Two things apparently:

1. It wasn’t as bad as it’s opponents feared it would be. 

2. It wasn’t as good for the game as it’s supporters said it would be. 

They are two different issues

P/R is designed to help clubs financially, develop players better, reward investment and improve the health of the game which any league depending on tens of millions of dollars of handouts requires

It is not a tool to increase attendances, ratings and the overall popularity of the game

How much money is in the Korean game now compared to before P/R? What is the financial size of the biggest clubs? How do Korea fair as a national team? How do their performance compare in the ACL? How many big international clubs are scouting their elite players?

This is more important than how many AFL / NRL fans are now watching games

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Relegation promotes development because if a player or club is left behind, then they're gone. Currently there is no incentive for progression hence stagnation. I don't see how that is hard to accept. 
JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

Group: Moderators
bluebird - 6 Jun 2019 10:19 AM

P/R is designed to help clubs financially, develop players better, reward investment and improve the health of the game which any league depending on tens of millions of dollars of handouts requires

It is not a tool to increase attendances, ratings and the overall popularity of the game

How much money is in the Korean game now compared to before P/R? What is the financial size of the biggest clubs? How do Korea fair as a national team? How do their performance compare in the ACL? How many big international clubs are scouting their elite players?

Is it though? Because if we want to build a better national team for the future we need to engage our whole culture around the world game. Having such a low % of the population playing football compared to world makes it extremely difficult if we managed to be the dominant sort we would automatically have a hell of a lot more talent to pick from, imagine Cyril Rioli as a winger or even keeping the players that drift out of our ecosystem into other sports. The only reason we have Riley McGree is because his local aussie rules team was full up, imagine how many world class players we have missed out on simply because they were more engaged with AFL/NRL.

Edited
5 Years Ago by JoyfulPenguin
Waz
Waz
Legend

They’re not “different issues” they’re two statements that basically say the opponents who feared pro/rel were wrong to be worried and secondly, supporters of pro/rel were wrong to think it would fix all the Games ills. 

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

JoyfulPenguin - 6 Jun 2019 10:54 AM

imagine how many world class players we have missed out on simply because they were more engaged with AFL/NRL.

Its well known that we have more registered playing numbers than the AFL / NRL

The wasted opportunity is lack of a proper player development pathway and playing opportunities. The spectator side of the game is vastly different to the player side of the game

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

bluebird - 6 Jun 2019 11:31 AM

Its well known that we have more registered playing numbers than the AFL / NRL

The wasted opportunity is lack of a proper player development pathway and playing opportunities. The spectator side of the game is vastly different to the player side of the game

It's both.
Using Gyfox's 2.2% base compared with 8%+ for similar countries, we are only at 1/4. Then as you say, within the 2.2%, we aren't developing people properly.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Money has been the main issue for years. 

Lets look at the main reason some Asian countries have increased their performance in recent years:

- Significant government support for the sport 

As a priority project of countries like Qatar, Vietnam and China, football has become an economic and social vehicle. This is certainly not something that we are in a position to achieve, and with club owners wanting more, the transition period is a concern.

It is important to highlight though the 5-10 years gap from 2005 (start of the HAL) in terms of the focus on youth development, which has seen numerous cracks developing in this country. We do need to get better working with what we have, but I do think that we are disadvantaged as a sport by not getting a fair share of funding from governments in particular.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Burztur - 6 Jun 2019 1:59 PM
bluebird - 6 Jun 2019 11:31 AM

It's both.
Using Gyfox's 2.2% base compared with 8%+ for similar countries, we are only at 1/4. Then as you say, within the 2.2%, we aren't developing people properly.

The other factor that needs to be considered is the non uniformity of penetration of the game.  Penetration varies from 4.0% in FNSW, NNSWF and Capital Football, with FFT as the other federation above the national average, down to 1.1% for FV.  FV in their recently released 2019-22 Strategic Plan have set the goal of increasing registered players by 44%, i.e. 31k players, which is a great start at the growth that is needed.  Many of the lower penetration federations are due to release new Strategic Plans so hopefully they do set high targets for growth.  It is only with growth in numbers of players that we will see more clubs entering State and NPL competitions and providing a tougher development pathway for talented players so those that reach the top are significantly more developed than currently.
Waz
Waz
Legend

“In truth results have been somewhat mixed in that it has not been the cure-all that its proponents predicted but neither has it been nowhere near as bad as others foretold”

“The bigger and better the top tier, then the healthier the second [tier] will be”

“The K League 1 has seen dwindling crowds and interest in recent years with serious structural and cultural issues that were never going to be solved by the introduction of promotion and relegation

Please can we LEARN from others!! 

Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Waz - 6 Jun 2019 7:49 AM
Aljay - 6 Jun 2019 7:27 AM

I haven’t changed my view (supporter of pro/rel) but your comment underlines one of the dangers in the thinking towards the subject - on its own pro/rel will not fix anything despite what some supporters think (that’s one of the lessons from Korea). Relegating CCM won’t fix anything either, there’ll always be a new CCM even if they do keep getting relegated. 

If the league is underfunded it will it will continue to struggle, if club owners (whether they single owners, consortiums or member based organisations) see revenue their competition earns diverted “for the greater good” they will be reluctant to invest, if the game is held hostage to an unsympathetic broadcaster it will continue to struggle, if Administrators keep fucking up it will struggle ... the list goes on. 

Pro/Rel needs to be a small part of the fix. But it is not the fix 

Waz - 6 Jun 2019 11:04 AM

They’re not “different issues” they’re two statements that basically say the opponents who feared pro/rel were wrong to be worried and secondly, supporters of pro/rel were wrong to think it would fix all the Games ills. 

Pro/Rel wont 'fix' everything but lets be honest South Korea are a mile and a half better then us. They have a larger population (but not massive) i dare say limited resources like us. 

Pro/rel will help the league on 'fix the league' 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

And  FFA dont even  have a  plan for for a   2nd Divisoin!  :(
Waz
Waz
Legend

Remote Control - 24 Oct 2020 8:13 PM
And  FFA dont even  have a  plan for for a   2nd Divisoin!  :(

It’s not THEIR job to have a plan for a second division .... it’s the AAFC’s 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Implement it! Wow, I should be Ffa Ceo.
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

I know i know   Its NOT  rocket science  right? Just  do it it already  F.F.A !!
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Waz - 24 Oct 2020 8:32 PM
Remote Control - 24 Oct 2020 8:13 PM

It’s not THEIR job to have a plan for a second division .... it’s the AAFC’s 

So it's NOT the job of the football association to arrange all national competitions? That should be done by a bunch of club volunteers?
Waz
Waz
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Oct 2020 10:56 PM

So it's NOT the job of the football association to arrange all national competitions? That should be done by a bunch of club volunteers?

In over 150 years of professional football in England the football association has never organised national competitions. instead, “club volunteers” did all the work. 

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Waz - 24 Oct 2020 11:58 PM

In over 150 years of professional football in England the football association has never organised national competitions. instead, “club volunteers” did all the work. 

And the English have always been conservative to make change so it shouldn't of taken 150 years to transition.
Waz
Waz
Legend

soccerfoo - 25 Oct 2020 7:32 AM
Waz - 24 Oct 2020 11:58 PM

And the English have always been conservative to make change so it shouldn't of taken 150 years to transition.

The FFA have to run the whole of the game and there’s plenty of evidence to suggest that when they focus on “big ticket items” like World Cup bids, the Asian Cup and running the A-League that the whole of the game suffers. 

The game is chronically underfunded at grassroots level and gets a disproportionately low share of government funding, both at State and Federal level, yet the FFA is unable to invest time and energy in to resolving this. It’s not a quick fix and needs a coherent national approach - this is just one example amongst many where the FFA would be better investing their time not trying to run a competition that the clubs themselves could do. 

The AAFC have got the charter for setting up the NSD and the FFA should not push them aside and take over something they don’t have time, energy or the expertise to do. 

The FFA brought nothing to the A-League other than a cost overhead that bled money from the competition and reappeared in massive executive salaries, expensive consulting projects that delivered nothing of value, and major travel junkets for the suits at FFA. 

The FFA adds no value in running competitions - they’ve nearly killed the AL and would do the same with an NSD ... and kill it while other areas of the game suffer further. 

The questions regarding where the f’ck the NSD is need to be addressed to AAFC —— what are they doing and what progress have they made after 4 years trying??

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro

EXCELLENT   Point ! 
How much  do the  Suits  at at F.FA   get payed &How much do  volunteers  get payed ?  
If  the Suits at FFA  can't do  it  Then shouldget in   some new people  who  can!!
Waz
Waz
Legend

Remote Control - 25 Oct 2020 8:37 AM

EXCELLENT   Point ! 
How much  do the  Suits  at at F.FA   get payed &How much do  volunteers  get payed ?  
If  the Suits at FFA  can't do  it  Then shouldget in   some new people  who  can!!

You two have to be the same person 😂

The AAFC can organise the NSD. 
The AL Clubs can organise the A League. 

Just like ...

The 20 EPL clubs organise the EPL. 
The 72 Football League clubs organise the Football League independent of the English FA 

An FA’s responsibility is to every aspect of the game not the tip of the iceberg that professional competitions represent. 

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

EXCELLENT   Point ! 

Collectively $20... they are Not Salary Capped, living off the coat tails of those who putt out the product, the Players!
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Waz - 25 Oct 2020 9:06 AM

You two have to be the same person 😂

The AAFC can organise the NSD. 
The AL Clubs can organise the A League. 

Just like ...

The 20 EPL clubs organise the EPL. 
The 72 Football League clubs organise the Football League independent of the English FA 

An FA’s responsibility is to every aspect of the game not the tip of the iceberg that professional competitions represent. 

2.1 Objects in FFA's Constitution gives it the role of "govern(ing) football throughout Australia".  That includes "supervising and governing all State bodies, Standing Committees and Football Leagues."  There is 2 pages of these types of statements in the Objects that make it quite clear that every part of football is subordinate to the FFA as required by FIFA's Statutes.

Just to make it quite clear of the FFA's role with regard to Football Leagues 2.2 Football League states "Without limiting article 2.1, FFA may establish one or more Football Leagues, including under licence."

I'm not sure what happens in England has any relevance to what is required by our Constitution.
Waz
Waz
Legend

Gyfox - 25 Oct 2020 10:22 AM
Waz - 25 Oct 2020 9:06 AM

2.1 Objects in FFA's Constitution gives it the role of "govern(ing) football throughout Australia".  That includes "supervising and governing all State bodies, Standing Committees and Football Leagues."  There is 2 pages of these types of statements in the Objects that make it quite clear that every part of football is subordinate to the FFA as required by FIFA's Statutes.

Just to make it quite clear of the FFA's role with regard to Football Leagues 2.2 Football League states "Without limiting article 2.1, FFA may establish one or more Football Leagues, including under licence."

I'm not sure what happens in England has any relevance to what is required by our Constitution.

I don’t even know why you posted that? It has no relevance to anything that I said or, as far as I can see, anything that has been discussed in this thread? Are you sure you didn’t mean to post it elsewhere?   

Just in case you did mean to post it here ... 

An independent A-League and an independent NSD will always be subordinate to the FFA if they want to be part of the FIFA world. The only parts of football in Australia that I can see that are not subordinate to the FFA are the Church Leagues and some branches of Futsal 

But being subordinate does not mean the FFA has to organise a competition, manage, fund and run the competition ... the clubs are free to do that themselves - as the AAFC and an Independent AL attests 

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Is it though? Because if we want to build a better national team for the future we need to engage our whole culture around the world game. Having such a low % of the population playing football compared to world makes it extremely difficult if we managed to be the dominant sort we would automatically have a hell of a lot more talent to pick from, imagine Cyril Rioli as a winger or even keeping the players that drift out of our ecosystem into other sports. The only reason we have Riley McGree is because his local aussie rules team was full up, imagine how many world class players we have missed out on simply because they were more engaged with AFL/NRL.

Exactly. Imagine if most Aussies grew up playing football. You'd get guys like Cyril Rioli with phenomenal speed, agility, co-ordination and just feel for the game playing football instead of Aussie Rules or rugby league. There's are heaps of blokes who played AFL, as well as other sports, who (with a football culture and luck) would have the profile to be world-class attacking footballers. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Patrick Dangerfield, Patty Mills (NBA, grew up with Aussie Rules and basketball), etc.

And then the less quick ones might do a great job in central midfield or central defence.

Ages ago on this forum, somebody whose English but based in Melbourne suggested that if football had the popularity and influence in Australia of AFL, Australia might well be a powerhouse nation in football. I agree. Obviously the league set-up (P/R), academies, standard of coaching, etc. would be necessary, too, even with that kind of talent pool.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search