Australia v New Zealand World Cup

Australia v New Zealand World Cup

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Starc gets a 5-for

first to get 3 in a world cup I believe
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

the scoreboard will give the glory to others but I thought Stoinis preventing the collapse gave us a chance even though it was 20. Lyon and Cummins only have taken a few wickets the last few games but they were standouts for mine as their control has given the spoils to bowlers at the other end
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
grazorblade - 30 Jun 2019 5:43 AM
commentators blaming NZ captaincy for NZs loss today saying they shouldn't have brought on their part timers when oz were 5-90

Bit harsh I think, Oz bowled out their part timers at the same stage of the match. 

Can’t believe we won, Grazor! 

When I went to bed towards the end of our innings the Kiwis appeared to be on top. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

grazorblade - 30 Jun 2019 5:59 AM
the scoreboard will give the glory to others but I thought Stoinis preventing the collapse gave us a chance even though it was 20. Lyon and Cummins only have taken a few wickets the last few games but they were standouts for mine as their control has given the spoils to bowlers at the other end

So Cummins and Lyons bowled economically? 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Thanks for the comments, Grazor. 

Interesting to read your insights. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Decentric - 30 Jun 2019 9:37 AM
grazorblade - 30 Jun 2019 5:43 AM

Can’t believe we won, Grazor! 

When I went to bed towards the end of our innings the Kiwis appeared to be on top. 

Yep a complete team performance everyone contributed on a tricky pitch and a wicket that flattened out slightly.

Stoinis stopped the collapse with a huge 21. It doesn't sound much but it meant Carey could start his innings against part timers and get his eye in. Khawaja anchored the innings and Cummins finished well. Only criticism was the lack of scoops at the death. It's too easy to contain if the bowler can stick to plan a

Lyon and Cummins strangled the life out of nz getting wickets at the other end. Part timers did enough to keep the pressure on with great control despite batsmen going after them, dorffs opening was sublime, fielding was incredible and starc of course made the winter come
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Keyboard Warrior - 30 Jun 2019 12:50 AM
The weather looks surprisingly hot too. 

Apart from 1 over from finch Australia bowled with near perfect control brilliant discipline
TokyoPom
TokyoPom
Fan
Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)Fan (88 reputation)

grazorblade - 30 Jun 2019 1:52 AM
loving modern odis

it has all the skills of the game from t20 skills to test

its gone from the most boring of the 3 formats to the best

You’re right - they used to say 50 over games were too formulaic and viewers would fall asleep during the middle overs. Even the round robin format is a no brainer, what they could do in future is have match ups between the top ranked teams scheduled from the get go, then there would be less dead rubbers theoretically later on in the tournament.

Anyway apart from England fluffing their lines it’s been a good W Cup from my point of view, the time element is a bitch for me in Japan though
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

Gday all,
jaszyjim - Interesting game.
I can't believe that many of you are still singing Maxwell's praise.
Were you watching the game? he failed batting again, trying to slog
with no footwork - yes it was a great catch but Maxwell through poor
technique as usual, gave him the chance. As an allrounder he is failing.
He cannot be kept in for his fielding as there other ones out there, with a
better all round record than his.
Get rid of him & if you think I am wrong, what has he done in the last games
against quality opposition = nothing, he is the biggest negative in the team.

We batted well but were very lucky, Finch out before he got his feet moving,
Warner out to a delivery that surprised him but did not drop his hands.
Khawaja very lucky & the luck stayed with him for most of his innings.
Batting at 3 is the right place for him but I do not have confidence in him,
even though he has scored runs.
Smith just isn't in the groove, really hope he comes right, as we need him.
Stoinis still our best all rounder, not brilliant but our best at the moment.
Maxwell - failed again - drop him.
Carey another great innings with the bat, how many times has held the side
up against top opposition.
Cummins another good innings, nice to see him in the runs again.
Then there was Boult's hat trick, enough said.

Our bowling overall was very good with still some room for improvement.
The economy rate was under 5 except for Finch & Stoinis - good to see Smith being bowled.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

jaszyjim - 30 Jun 2019 12:01 PM
Gday all,

The economy rate was under 5 except for Finch & Stoinis - good to see Smith being bowled.

glad you aren't coach. The squad needs to be balanced and you also need two all round options to get 10 overs out of.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

TokyoPom - 30 Jun 2019 10:47 AM
grazorblade - 30 Jun 2019 1:52 AM

You’re right - they used to say 50 over games were too formulaic and viewers would fall asleep during the middle overs. Even the round robin format is a no brainer, what they could do in future is have match ups between the top ranked teams scheduled from the get go, then there would be less dead rubbers theoretically later on in the tournament.

Anyway apart from England fluffing their lines it’s been a good W Cup from my point of view, the time element is a bitch for me in Japan though

yeah its tough in canada too!

Lucky this game was late
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

here's why I go easy on all rounders - its the hardest and one of the most important roles in the game. You are not only likely (except in the exceptional cases) the weakest batter, you train to play a t20 like innings when everyone else trains to play more conservatively. You are also the weakest bowler in the team. But You are absolutely needed in the squad because if you play on a road you are the player who gives the team the best chance to break 350+. A lot of people were calling for extra maxwell like players because they were expecting more roads this world cup but Langer's conservatism turned out to be correct as the pitches have had quite a bit in them.

Apart from batting, you have no choice to bowl some part timers as you can only bowl your strike bowlers for 40 overs. This means you need two all rounders so the batsmen don't get too used to one and blast them to all corners. You could argue that Marsh is slightly better than Stoinis but Maxwell is definitely one of our best two part timers. Also if we play on a road in the semi's he really gives us a chance to chase down a big score

So in other words when judging all rounders you need to look at other players playing a similar roll. Elite allrounders like Ali and Russell have all done worse than maxwell and maxwell has batted significantly better than stoinis. Pandya has been roughly the same. Stokes is a more conservative batsmen so he's done the best because players like Jos Butler are more your bruisers (and he's had a tough world cup). Maxwell's turned some poor finishes by australia into ok and good ones with useful cameos at the end scoring at the highest strike rate at the world cup. Sure games like today and the west indies I'd like to see a miracle like Symonds innings against pakistan a few world cups ago. But those are memorable because they are so freakishly rare. We have 2 all rounders that are really the best we can have and quite frankly they are matching their opposite numbers well enough. Stoinis's batting may not be up to par but he's bowling probably the best of any of the all rounders. Maxwell is also freakish in the field and out 3 deadly infielders have won us tight matches.

Modern ODI has somehow become the most interesting form of the game testing every part of your teams skillset from their t20 skills to their test batting/bowling skills. You need a balanced squad and we cannot win the world cup without one
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

grazorblade - 30 Jun 2019 2:58 PM
here's why I go easy on all rounders - its the hardest and one of the most important roles in the game. You are not only likely (except in the exceptional cases) the weakest batter, you train to play a t20 like innings when everyone else trains to play more conservatively. You are also the weakest bowler in the team. But You are absolutely needed in the squad because if you play on a road you are the player who gives the team the best chance to break 350+. A lot of people were calling for extra maxwell like players because they were expecting more roads this world cup but Langer's conservatism turned out to be correct as the pitches have had quite a bit in them.

Apart from batting, you have no choice to bowl some part timers as you can only bowl your strike bowlers for 40 overs. This means you need two all rounders so the batsmen don't get too used to one and blast them to all corners. You could argue that Marsh is slightly better than Stoinis but Maxwell is definitely one of our best two part timers. Also if we play on a road in the semi's he really gives us a chance to chase down a big score

So in other words when judging all rounders you need to look at other players playing a similar roll. Elite allrounders like Ali and Russell have all done worse than maxwell and maxwell has batted significantly better than stoinis. Pandya has been roughly the same. Stokes is a more conservative batsmen so he's done the best because players like Jos Butler are more your bruisers (and he's had a tough world cup). Maxwell's turned some poor finishes by australia into ok and good ones with useful cameos at the end scoring at the highest strike rate at the world cup. Sure games like today and the west indies I'd like to see a miracle like Symonds innings against pakistan a few world cups ago. But those are memorable because they are so freakishly rare. We have 2 all rounders that are really the best we can have and quite frankly they are matching their opposite numbers well enough. Stoinis's batting may not be up to par but he's bowling probably the best of any of the all rounders. Maxwell is also freakish in the field and out 3 deadly infielders have won us tight matches.

Modern ODI has somehow become the most interesting form of the game testing every part of your teams skillset from their t20 skills to their test batting/bowling skills. You need a balanced squad and we cannot win the world cup without one

Gday gb,
jaszyjim - Other than Maxwell agree with all your comments and very well put. We do need 2 all rounders and as you point out,
a hard position to fill.  My concern with Maxwell is he is not scoring and his bowling is being taken to by good batsmen. I agree he is brilliant in the field but, 
do not feel this makes up for what he is lacking at the moment.
As for balancing the team, M. Marsh could replace him & the team would still be balanced. The team does not revolve around 1 player.
I really hope I am proved wrong, as Maxwell will be kept, the next game will show us more and he will be required to bowl.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

we would require an injury to put in M Marsh under the laws

besides, I'd drop Stoinis for Marsh rather than maxwell. A like for like replacement, don't lose what you get in the field and Stoinis is averaging 16 with the bat this world cup
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 30 Jun 2019 10:27 PM
we would require an injury to put in M Marsh under the laws

besides, I'd drop Stoinis for Marsh rather than maxwell. A like for like replacement, don't lose what you get in the field and Stoinis is averaging 16 with the bat this world cup

Seeing the replay with Australia bowling was interesting as I was asleep when the Kiwis batted.

A bit surprising that Lyon hasn't been selected in many games.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

jaszyjim - 30 Jun 2019 12:01 PM
Gday all,

Good round up, JJ.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search