5th Ashes Test

5th Ashes Test

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Paddles - 11 Sep 2019 10:08 AM
baggygreenmania - 11 Sep 2019 9:52 AM

This is Steve Smith's ashes. Cmon. Twin centuries in the first game, set it up for Lyon, you win without Haze). Goes a long way to making sure you won't lose the second before injury. He misses a game, you lose it (you play Haze), cos your bowlers couldn't seal.

Smith comes back, scores a double century, and an 80, to make sure England would never get close.

This whole Ashes was Stokes v Smith. Advantage Smith. 

If England win the final test and Stokes does something brilliant, I'd share mots imo. But Smith has carried Australia, and Stokes has carried England. 

I think it is too simplistic to state this has been a series between Smith and Stokes, Paddles.

I contend there have been other significant factors:

* Anderson's injury after him bowling 4 outstanding overs.

* Pace Bowling.

* Spin.

* Fielding.

* Leadership,  team cohesion and planning of game and series strategy  by the respective coaches. This has often been underestimated by pundits lacking a pro background in cricket, and, fans.

I suggest Lehmann would not have been as successful - he wouldn't have played Siddle instead of Starc; wouldn't have dropped Hazlewood; and wouldn't have planned as meticulously as Langer.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
baggygreenmania - 11 Sep 2019 10:34 AM

Ok Steve Smith  Cummins and Hazlewood. My point being that our batsmen let us down other than Smith. If one each of our other five had gotten a solitary century chances are we'd have won 5-0. Even Stokes game.. had they been chasing even a further 100 the series was wrapped then. But even in the master batsman's absence.. only one stood up to the plate.

Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Decentric - 11 Sep 2019 10:35 AM

I think it is too simplistic to state this has been a series between Smith and Stokes, Paddles.

There have bee other significant factors:

* Anderson's injury after him bowling four outstanding overs.

* Pace Bowling.

* Spin.

* Fielding.

* Leadership,  team cohesion and planning of game and series strategy  by coaches.

* Leadership,  team cohesion and planning of game and series strategy  by coaches.
* Pace Bowling.

Precisely DC. Too simplistic to say it was a Smith v Stokes shoot out. 
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

There have bee other significant factors:

* Anderson's injury after him bowling four outstanding overs.

* Pace Bowling.

* Spin.

* Fielding.

Oh that was a huge blow for England. But he has merely been covering up with his bowling, England's batting hole since 2015 when they realised Ballance, Lythe, were crap and Bell was cooked. England has been in the batting toilet since 2015, Cook and Root were in form back then, Stokes was recalled, but these cracks in the batting have been there.

For losing Anderson, they gained Archer. They still had Broad, Stokes, Woakes, Leach and Ali. Australia had to make the runs. Smith made the runs. The England batting team would roll over to Ireland tomorrow if they played again. Its an utter shambles. SMith gave you the runs Ireland could not find. Stokes is the backbone of the team, and he averages 35? Root has been ordinary the past 2 years now, with only 1 strong batting year as captain, he averages 40 as captain. 

The only strategy thing I see was Australia backing no allrounder. That was a big decision to play Wade at 6 (hundred int eh first test you won), and smacked of Steve Waugh's input, and it paid off rotating the seamers around Lyon. 

I don't think the fielding has been that special or abysmal. I dont think captaincy has been special. The umpiring early on was abysmal. The use of DRS by Paine has been terrible at times. 

But Stokes and Smith have been special and memorable, and I will remember both of them fondly. Stoke's 100 to win was ballsy, and Smith playing tennis in the last test, just smacked of "I am wayyyy too good for you guys right now". And fair enough. He is.

England's bowling ward is Wood, Stone, Anderson, and they never recalled TRJ. Overton over TRJ was  a dumb selection imo. But England's selectors will now be facing some heat. And should they have played Curran they will now wonder... But England had enough bowlers to compete. They had nowhere near enough batting.

Oh the Labushagne story was nice too. First ever sub in world test cricket perhaps? Australias? Consistent 50's, Nice little tale.

ECB, 4.5 years ago said, we will try and be the nest nation in odi cricket and win a world cup. And they did. Now they should be saying, we want to find and make some test batsmen. Lets see what they can do in the next 4 years. Cos right now, they're a joke. Archer, Stone, TRJ, even Wood with his new action perhaps, there's plenty of England bowling to see them through the next decade. Where oh where are the batsmen? Noone has come through for them since Root debut'd in 2012. That's a very VERY scary thought. Noone. There is just a trail of about 50 (no exageration) failed batting hopes. And games involving England playing 3 allrounders, with 2 bowlers and 3 wicket keepers! Or 4 allrounders with 2 bowler and 2 wicket keepers (Both happened in SL last year).

England selectors have to answer this question, Curran and Foakes got them the runs to win in SL. Curran got them the runs to beat Ind. He is also a left armer. They didnt play one. Foakes is the best keeper in England. Why did they not play, in lieu of World Cup players? WHY? 

Foakes they can defend on form perhaps. Curran, well they knew they needed runs. But then the bowling would be weak they would argue. Maybe so. England's stuffed if they don't find some batting soon. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 11 Sep 2019 9:39 AM
baggygreenmania - 11 Sep 2019 9:33 AM

Dorff is a pop gun, who swings a new ball and then becomes innocuous.

I've seen him play Shield cricket at Bellerive a bit. He is one of the plethora of Aussie mediocre fast bowlers, who look great in the Shield, but will be innocuous in international red ball cricket.

We disagree here. I have seen him play shield cricket at other venues. Did he not take 8 or was in 9for at the WACA a year or so back before his latest back injury. he will provide the balance a lefty offers plus he will not leak runs like Starc does. He has almost as lethal an inswinging yorker as Starc tho a touch slower.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 11 Sep 2019 10:32 AM
Decentric - 11 Sep 2019 10:20 AM

All good, and totally agreed, I am trying to get Mike to find his way in there with me.

Further, Smith is unable to be reinstated as cap until after your home summer, if not later than. 

So its not an option for this summer anyway. 

Warner was banned forever from leadership roles. 

I actually wonder, post Paine, if Cummins is given a chance at it. Rare for a fast bowler - I know. 

I have an out of the box suggestion for future captain. Once he has totally cemented his place of course. Marnus Labuchagne. He has character, passion and looks a leader with his infectious demeanor. I have no idea whether he harbors a good cricket brain. But he is worth trying.
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 11 Sep 2019 11:07 AM

I have an out of the box suggestion for future captain. Once he has totally cemented his place of course. Marnus Labuchagne. He has character, passion and looks a leader with his infectious demeanor. I have no idea whether he harbors a good cricket brain. But he is worth trying.

If he can lock down a spot, you know he will be in the running for it. He is free from SA 2018 bubble, he is young, and popular.

It all comes down to who can lock in their spot in the team that is not Warner or Smith. Batsmen have an advantage as the preferred. I don't think that should be the case, but its the norm.  But if the current form continues, it comes down to Smith or Cummins. 

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 11 Sep 2019 11:07 AM

I have an out of the box suggestion for future captain. Once he has totally cemented his place of course. Marus Labuchagne. He has character, passion and looks a leader with his infectious demeanor. I have no idea whether he harbors a good cricket brain. But he is worth trying.
bumping
Matches at The Oval since 2001.

5th Test: England v Australia at The Oval - Sep 8-12, 2005

England 373 and 335; Australia 367 and 4/0

5th Test: England v Australia at The Oval - Aug 20-23, 2009

England 332 and 373/9d; Australia 160 and 348 (102.2 ov, target: 546)

5th Test: England v Australia at The Oval - Aug 21-25, 2013

Australia 492/9d and 111/6d; England 377 and 206/5 (40 ov, target: 227)

5th Investec Test: England v Australia at The Oval - Aug 20-23, 2015

Australia 481; England 149 and 286 (101.4 ov) (f/o)

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Very happy to have been proven wrong about Marnus Labuschange's abilities at the crease. I didn't think his County Championship form was worth taking into consideration owing to it coming in Div 2. Thank goodness for the way he has batted.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

This may sound outrageous. But I think the selectors should drop David Warner for The Oval and bring in Michael Neser.

Warner's a walking wicket. Usman Khawaja is terrible outside of Australia (and especially in the UK).
And Cameron Bancroft has got a fundamental technical weakness which means he's a walking wicket, too, against Stuart Broad or Jofra Archer.

Frankly, it's not possible for anybody to do worse than any of those three at present. And we have one bowler less in our XI than England has. It's too much work. Paine needs another bowling option up his sleeve.

Bring in a bowling all-rounder who can bat. Neser averaged just under 44 with the bat in the Sheffield Shield last season. It's the best option we've got in the circumstances. Also, Neser is a right-handed batsman.

Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Neser
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Paddles - 11 Sep 2019 10:47 AM

Oh that was a huge blow for England. But he has merely been covering up with his bowling, England's batting hole since 2015 when they realised Ballance, Lythe, were crap and Bell was cooked. England has been in the batting toilet since 2015, Cook and Root were in form back then, Stokes was recalled, but these cracks in the batting have been there.

For losing Anderson, they gained Archer. They still had Broad, Stokes, Woakes, Leach and Ali. Australia had to make the runs. Smith made the runs. The England batting team would roll over to Ireland tomorrow if they played again. Its an utter shambles. SMith gave you the runs Ireland could not find. Stokes is the backbone of the team, and he averages 35? Root has been ordinary the past 2 years now, with only 1 strong batting year as captain, he averages 40 as captain. 

The only strategy thing I see was Australia backing no allrounder. That was a big decision to play Wade at 6 (hundred int eh first test you won), and smacked of Steve Waugh's input, and it paid off rotating the seamers around Lyon. 

I don't think the fielding has been that special or abysmal. I dont think captaincy has been special. The umpiring early on was abysmal. The use of DRS by Paine has been terrible at times. 

But Stokes and Smith have been special and memorable, and I will remember both of them fondly. Stoke's 100 to win was ballsy, and Smith playing tennis in the last test, just smacked of "I am wayyyy too good for you guys right now". And fair enough. He is.

England's bowling ward is Wood, Stone, Anderson, and they never recalled TRJ. Overton over TRJ was  a dumb selection imo. But England's selectors will now be facing some heat. And should they have played Curran they will now wonder... But England had enough bowlers to compete. They had nowhere near enough batting.

Oh the Labushagne story was nice too. First ever sub in world test cricket perhaps? Australias? Consistent 50's, Nice little tale.

ECB, 4.5 years ago said, we will try and be the nest nation in odi cricket and win a world cup. And they did. Now they should be saying, we want to find and make some test batsmen. Lets see what they can do in the next 4 years. Cos right now, they're a joke. Archer, Stone, TRJ, even Wood with his new action perhaps, there's plenty of England bowling to see them through the next decade. Where oh where are the batsmen? Noone has come through for them since Root debut'd in 2012. That's a very VERY scary thought. Noone. There is just a trail of about 50 (no exageration) failed batting hopes. And games involving England playing 3 allrounders, with 2 bowlers and 3 wicket keepers! Or 4 allrounders with 2 bowler and 2 wicket keepers (Both happened in SL last year).

England selectors have to answer this question, Curran and Foakes got them the runs to win in SL. Curran got them the runs to beat Ind. He is also a left armer. They didnt play one. Foakes is the best keeper in England. Why did they not play, in lieu of World Cup players? WHY? 

Foakes they can defend on form perhaps. Curran, well they knew they needed runs. But then the bowling would be weak they would argue. Maybe so. England's stuffed if they don't find some batting soon. 

I think you are overlooking the coaching aspect of the Ashes retention, Paddles.

I'm not sure where I read the articles, probably  Cricinfo and The Guardian, but there was a plan conceived with two technical analysts in Australia overseen by Langer.

From looking at comprehensive data, it showed that far too many runs were scored square of the wicket on smaller English pitches against Aussie bowlers over all the unsuccessful tours of the last 18 years. Also, an Australian length was often bowled in England by Aussies.

There was an orchestrated plan to focus on bowling very straight, as a  priority. Hence, Peter Siddle was selected over Starc for the First Test.

I  also read that Langer thought he was the best bowler in the First Test. Even though Siddle got no wickets, Langer was rapt with his performance. He bowled perfectly to instructions and the preconceived game plan, where the pace bowlers bowled most balls trying to hit the top of off stump. Langer thought Siddle's discipline and excellent line and length  caused inexorable pressure, which  led to other bowlers taking the wickets.

Starc was bowling too many loose balls - wide. Not many other coaches would've dropped  the leading wicket taking bowler  in the World Cup. Horses for courses. Starc was the wrong horse for the Aussie game plan at the start of the series. Langer wanted Starc to work harder on his line and length before he was selected in Tests again.

In terms of  batting there weren't  too many options.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

quickflick - 11 Sep 2019 9:44 PM
This may sound outrageous. But I think the selectors should drop David Warner for The Oval and bring in Michael Neser.

Warner's a walking wicket. Usman Khawaja is terrible outside of Australia (and especially in the UK).
And Cameron Bancroft has got a fundamental technical weakness which means he's a walking wicket, too, against Stuart Broad or Jofra Archer.

Frankly, it's not possible for anybody to do worse than any of those three at present. And we have one bowler less in our XI than England has. It's too much work. Paine needs another bowling option up his sleeve.

Bring in a bowling all-rounder who can bat. Neser averaged just under 44 with the bat in the Sheffield Shield last season. It's the best option we've got in the circumstances. Also, Neser is a right-handed batsman.

Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Neser
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

I've just been talking to someone off forum about Lyon's injury where he has split the webbing  in his bowling finger, which impedes his bowling.

If GOAT is injured, should  he be replaced by Holland, or another pace bowler?

The latter course of action means Labu, Smith and Head bowling part time spin.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

quickflick - 11 Sep 2019 9:34 PM
Very happy to have been proven wrong about Marnus Labuschange's abilities at the crease. I didn't think his County Championship form was worth taking into consideration owing to it coming in Div 2. Thank goodness for the way he has batted.

Amazing an injury replacement has ended up being our second best batter!
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Decentric - 11 Sep 2019 10:42 PM
quickflick - 11 Sep 2019 9:34 PM

Amazing an injury replacement has ended up being our second best batter!

Amazing but... it says a lot about the benefits of sending cricketers (who are gutsy and focused and DON'T have fundamental technical flaws) to England to play county cricket.

The surprising thing for me, in this case, was that Labuschagne has managed to replicate his form against quite a lot of lousy Div 2 attacks against Broad, Stokes and Archer.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Heads been dropped for Mitch Marsh. Siddle in the 12 man squad but not Pattinson

ARNIE= LEGEND

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

England have dropped Roy and Overton and bought in Curran and Woakes. Stokes up to 4

ARNIE= LEGEND

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

RedKat - 11 Sep 2019 11:00 PM
Heads been dropped for Mitch Marsh. Siddle in the 12 man squad but not Pattinson

Fook. Wrong call from the selectors. Way too conservative. Damned whatever happens. Chances are he’ll score no runs and take no wickets. In the happy event that he does, he becomes undroppable for about a year
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

RedKat - 11 Sep 2019 11:06 PM
England have dropped Roy and Overton and bought in Curran and Woakes. Stokes up to 4

Bad news for us. Sam Curran plays for Surrey, too. He’s a gutsy cricketer and will he thrilled to be playing on his home ground
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Wow!

I'm surprised about Pattinson?

He had two shocking overs when he was tired in the  last Test he played, but I thought he was pretty good for the rest of the game.

I'm worried Cummins is too tired. I thought they would replace him with Patto to preserve him for the home series and to lighten his load. 

Maybe Siddle is fresher?

Mitch M is a long term problem in that his bowling is a great asset, but his  body can't handle the workload.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

quickflick - 11 Sep 2019 11:06 PM

Fook. Wrong call from the selectors. Way too conservative. Damned whatever happens. Chances are he’ll score no runs and take no wickets. In the happy event that he does, he becomes undroppable for about a year

Surprisingly, Marsh is one of the best visiting pace bowlers I've seen at Bellerive in the Shield over the  last  few seasons. I've seen every Shield game too.

Along with Michael Neser, Trent Copeland, Shaun Abbott, Simon Mackin, as Aussie visitors, Sri Lankan Kulkarni? and Tassie bowlers, Jackson Bird and lighting quick Riley Meredith, have been the stand outs.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

quickflick - 11 Sep 2019 10:47 PM
Decentric - 11 Sep 2019 10:42 PM

Amazing but... it says a lot about the benefits of sending cricketers (who are gutsy and focused and DON'T have fundamental technical flaws) to England to play county cricket.

The surprising thing for me, in this case, was that Labuschagne has managed to replicate his form against quite a lot of lousy Div 2 attacks against Broad, Stokes and Archer.

Nice to have a pleasant  surprise  regarding one of our batters!
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 11 Sep 2019 10:50 AM
Decentric - 11 Sep 2019 9:39 AM

We disagree here. I have seen him play shield cricket at other venues. Did he not take 8 or was in 9for at the WACA a year or so back before his latest back injury. he will provide the balance a lefty offers plus he will not leak runs like Starc does. He has almost as lethal an inswinging yorker as Starc tho a touch slower.

Dorf is about 15 - 20 kph slower than Starc! 
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

Decentric - 12 Sep 2019 12:29 AM
quickflick - 11 Sep 2019 11:06 PM

Surprisingly, Marsh is one of the best visiting pace bowlers I've seen at Bellerive in the Shield over the  last  few seasons. I've seen every Shield game too.

Along with Michael Neser, Trent Copeland, Shaun Abbott, Simon Mackin, as Aussie visitors, Sri Lankan Kulkarni? and Tassie bowlers, Jackson Bird and lighting quick Riley Meredith, have been the stand outs.

I'm surprises DC as a Tasmanian I would have thought the first bowler you would have pushed forward would have been Gabe Bell. After 2 excellent successive years Bell has an great start to his career 16 matches 63 wickets @ 24 is really good. No offence intended but Meredith has played 10 FC matches has 29 wickets @32 IMO I'd like to see at least a year of good consistent bowling from him. Not that I fully follow Tasmania but what I have seen is the presence of Meredith is undermining the performance of Bell as Bell has been relegated to 3rd bowler  diminishing his effectiveness with the new ball. Also selectors rarely look at a state number 3 bowlers as future Australian reps. Bird and Bell opening the bowling was really good to watch up here last year Bell took 4 for under 20 if I remember correctly. He also bowled well in Perth. 

From what I've seen of Tasmania games in Tasmania last year, Tremain and Paris bowled really well but the performance of Swepson down in Tasmania showed that there may be still something in Australian spinning stocks.

Mitch Marsh coming in for Head, I'm very surprised by that one. That tells me that the bowling attack for the final game will be Starc Hazlewood Cummins and Lyon, because the presence of M Marsh goes hand in hand with that attack. Weakening the batting line up for an additional bowler, don't see why I thought they were "rotating" the quicks to keep them fresh. Must be a rotation scheme that only exists till a certain point is achieved.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

It is the bowlers who failed to live up to expectations as they do on a world wide scale

More rubbish Mike. If it was not for Cummins and Hazlewood we will not be bringing the urn home (figuratively speaking). It certainly is not due to our batsmen (Smith excluded). Had we had half decent bats against the moving ball we'd win this 5-0. You bring up an absurd situation to make your point.. that being loosing the unloseable when Stokes tonked us out of the game. The operative word being tonked.. He was in white ball mode for much of the last hour. Good pitched balls from both Haze and Cummins that were troubling batsmen only hours before were being stepped away from and clubbed white ball style by a powerful man with a decent eye.

Incorrect Baggers. Unless England win the final test Hazlewood has nothing to do with the return of the Urn. At this current point of time a 1-1 draw retained the Ashes and that win was due to Bancroft, Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Head, Wade, Paine, Pattinson, Cummins, Siddle and Lyon. That was the team that "retained" the Ashes at this current point of time. Now if England win the final test then yes Hazlewood Starc and Harris Labuchagne may be included. But currently Hazlewood, Starc et al are just band wagon hoppers trying to get their names in lights.

The reason we almost lost the Lord's test saved by the rain, and lost the 3rd test was that the selectors messed around with the winning formula from the 1st test, so one could argue that the inclusion of Hazlewood got us in the mess in the first place. It is all supposition maybe the inclusion of Pattinson in the second test gives a better return of 3/100. Maybe the presence of the work horse Siddle in the 3rd test keeps the bowlers fresh so they don't get smashed for 19 off one over and lose the test. In your opinion they were "good deliveries" I personally call them rubbish afterall a full toss on middle stump from Hazlewood deserves to be put in the stands and that's exactly what happened. Rubbish is always sent to the sidewalk. Rubbish bowling put in the stands and England achieve a RECORD WINNING RUN CHASE. Bowlers fault, every time a record winning run chase is achieved. The batsmen set a record winning score, no other bowling attack has ever allowed those runs to be scored that's what makes them a record.

The reason we retained the Ashes is simply England are that bad, and yes I can support that statement but there is so much. But I'll give you an example of how a player with any ability is still showing us how regardless of his poor team mates we are still struggling and it is not the batsmen. Stokes prior to the Ashes series was ranked No 82 for 2 years (the world's bowlers managed to keep him under control for 2 years)

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;page=2;spanmax2=31+jul+2019;spanmin2=12+sep+2017;spanval2=span;template=results;type=batting

After the first test Stokes moved to No 81, that means nothing you expect little positional changes Cummins Pattinson Siddle and Lyon were continuing what the world was doing.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;page=2;spanmax2=8+aug+2019;spanmin2=12+sep+2017;spanval2=span;template=results;type=batting

After the 2nd test Stokes jumped to No 63. That's massive and  Paddles will agree this is the sort of movement that people who analyse stats look for. Why did it occur? Hazlewood came into the side or is it an anomaly?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;page=2;spanmax2=21+aug+2019;spanmin2=12+sep+2017;spanval2=span;template=results;type=batting

After 3rd test Stokes moved to No 47 (he's now on the first page), once again massive jump (after 2 tests a positional change of 35 that's big and rarely occurs so quickly especially with the number of tests played by Stokes, one or 2 test will see massive jumps, but 17 it should be fairly stable) Still why, what has changed?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;spanmax2=29+aug+2019;spanmin2=12+sep+2017;spanval2=span;template=results;type=batting

After 4th test Stokes stabilises at No 55. So why the massive positional change? Why did it occur when the only significant change is the inclusion of Hazlewood?, Is the theory Hazlewood's inclusion is a problem valid? So we go back and look. Prior to the India series in Australia India had 7 batsmen in the top 30, after the India series in Australia they had 10 in the top 30 (Shaw, Kohli, Agarwal, Nair, Pujara, Sharma, Pant, Yadav, Dahwan, Jadeja). Bowling attack was Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon. Same thing happened against South Africa they went from 5 in the top 50 to 6 in the top 50. Once again Starc Hazlewood Cummins and Lyon.

Starc's involvement in the Ashes has been minimal but the one test he played resulted in an Australian win, now that is interesting. The last 3 tests played by Starc has resulted in wins, the only current bowler that can claim that particular point. Are Cummins and Lyon 1 test wonders? No I would hypothesise that Hazlewood involvement in the test side is detrimental to the performances of those around him as others are "demoted" from their ideal positional play, meanwhile contributing minimal in his own performance, just enough to keep selectors off his back and maintaining his million dollar per annum contract.. I think I've give enough proof to support the formation of that theory.  It's a theory, now prove me wrong? The thing I detest having to do is questioning such a talented bowlers such as Cummins and to a lesser extent Lyon but we do have to look at everything, amazing how one player can cause questions over others.

Now as a proud Australian supporter I certainly hope you aren't going for England in the final test just so you can include the name of Josh Hazlewood as part of the reason Australia retained the Ashes in your Hazlewood scrapbook. So C'Mon Baggers what are you? Uncle...... 2nd cousin twice removed.....next door neighbour?????? Also remember with the current ICC championship every test matters and when there are 5 tests in a series the points available are the least amount possible so every win matters. I am not wanting an England win as Australia would only come out with points amounting to 1 win in a 2 test series, I think they have played better than that.

Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

MikeR - 12 Sep 2019 4:41 AM

I'm surprises DC as a Tasmanian I would have thought the first bowler you would have pushed forward would have been Gabe Bell. After 2 excellent successive years Bell has an great start to his career 16 matches 63 wickets @ 24 is really good. No offence intended but Meredith has played 10 FC matches has 29 wickets @32 IMO I'd like to see at least a year of good consistent bowling from him. Not that I fully follow Tasmania but what I have seen is the presence of Meredith is undermining the performance of Bell as Bell has been relegated to 3rd bowler  diminishing his effectiveness with the new ball. Also selectors rarely look at a state number 3 bowlers as future Australian reps. Bird and Bell opening the bowling was really good to watch up here last year Bell took 4 for under 20 if I remember correctly. He also bowled well in Perth. 

Bell has had good figures, but looks like a lot of Aussie pace bowlers. He rarely seems to put the batter under sustained discomfort. When a wicket comes, it is a surprise, like Tremain at Bellerive.

Bell was also was injured for some of last season.

Meredith possesses extreme pace though and with the speed gun is one of the fastest bowlers in the world. He is the express bowler of the next Aus generation and has the stamina to play red ball cricket. Batters I know who have faced him in first grade cricket compared to Archer, say he bowls more bad balls - a bit like Starc.

No matter what the pitch is doing, Meredith's short balls, bowled in the right place, cause batters a lot of discomfort.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

From what I've seen of Tasmania games in Tasmania last year, Tremain and Paris bowled really well but the performance of Swepson down in Tasmania showed that there may be still something in Australian spinning stocks.

Who is Paris?

Swepson performed well in Hobart last seasoning the Shield. He is a Warne favourite. ATM Swepson is key to our future  spinning stocks. Unfortunately, he  often struggles to get Shield game time due to too many of our pitches in Aus discouraging spinners.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I'm surprises DC as a Tasmanian I would have thought the first bowler you would have pushed forward would have been Gabe Bell. After 2 excellent successive years Bell has an great start to his career 16 matches 63 wickets @ 24 is really good. No offence intended but Meredith has played 10 FC matches has 29 wickets @32 IMO I'd like to see at least a year of good consistent bowling from him. 

Love your work, Mike!

You always use stats to back up your views!

From the  naked eye, Bell doesn't look as good as his figures indicate. Meredith is the opposite.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

MikeR - 12 Sep 2019 7:34 AM

Now as a proud Australian supporter I certainly hope you aren't going for England in the final test just so you can include the name of Josh Hazlewood as part of the reason Australia retained the Ashes in your Hazlewood scrapbook. So C'Mon Baggers what are you? Uncle...... 2nd cousin twice removed.....next door neighbour?????? Also remember with the current ICC championship every test matters and when there are 5 tests in a series the points available are the least amount possible so every win matters. I am not wanting an England win as Australia would only come out with points amounting to 1 win in a 2 test series, I think they have played better than that.

LOL!

Too funny!
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 12 Sep 2019 9:24 AM
MikeR - 12 Sep 2019 7:34 AM

LOL!

Too funny!

Reckon Mike's lost it. Why is that funny DC? 
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Decentric - 12 Sep 2019 9:20 AM

Who is Paris?

Swepson performed well in Hobart last seasoning the Shield. He is a Warne favourite. ATM Swepson is key to our future  spinning stocks. Unfortunately, he  often struggles to get Shield game time due to too many of our pitches in Aus discouraging spinners.

Joel Paris from WA. Of all the current bowlers only Rogers, another Tasmanian, has a better strike rate, and this is the history of Sheffield shield.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/australia/engine/records/bowling/best_career_strike_rate.html?id=114;type=trophy

Just wondering DC with Rogers, Bell, Meredith doesn't it ever worry you that regardless of how they perform what they achieve on field they are never mentioned as future Australian reps, They never get the recognition they deserve because they play for Tasmania. Rarely hear their names mentioned in the press
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search