A-League Attendances: Season 2019/20

A-League Attendances: Season 2019/20

Author
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
bluebird - 7 Mar 2020 3:46 PM
433 - 7 Mar 2020 3:17 PM

"I'm scared of catching the Corona virus so from now on I'm only going to go to work". Yeah right. Brisbane's attendances have been consistent

If the Corona virus had anything to do with the fear of spending then those who had it wouldn't be travelling all over the world

Of all the dumb shit you post on this forum, this really takes the cake.

Yes, it's almost like attendance at a sport event is less important than having a job. Don't worry, when you gain employment for the first time, you'll understand. 
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

433 - 7 Mar 2020 6:03 PM
bluebird - 7 Mar 2020 3:46 PM

Of all the dumb shit you post on this forum, this really takes the cake.

Yes, it's almost like attendance at a sport event is less important than having a job. Don't worry, when you gain employment for the first time, you'll understand. 

A doctor was in America, got the Corona virus, felt sick, and came back to work in Australia. When people are sick, they go to work because they have no other choice. If you were going to catch the Corona virus you have a much much much higher chance of catching it at work where you are shaking hands and using the same facilities as people than at a sporting event

The A League attendances have absolutely nothing to do with the Corona virus, and you wont see attendances for other sports drop as a result either. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by bluebird
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

bluebird - 8 Mar 2020 7:02 AM
433 - 7 Mar 2020 6:03 PM

A doctor was in America, got the Corona virus, felt sick, and came back to work in Australia. When people are sick, they go to work because they have no other choice. If you were going to catch the Corona virus you have a much much much higher chance of catching it at work where you are shaking hands and using the same facilities as people than at a sporting event

The A League attendances have absolutely nothing to do with the Corona virus, and you wont see attendances for other sports drop as a result either. 

Interesting that playing games without spectators is already happening.  Why?

"People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets. This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick."

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

"But if the Games do go ahead, will anybody be there to see them? Already, sport around the world has started to be played in front of empty stadiums as governing bodies and leagues move away from large congregations of people. In Italy, one of the countries hit worst by outbreaks, Serie A football matches will be played minus fans until at least April. A Biathlon World Cup event in the Czech Republic late last week was run without a single spectator allowed to attend."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-games-with-no-cheer-on-the-agenda-as-ioc-grapples-with-health-crisis-20200307-p547ta.html

"Vietnam will play the second leg of their Olympics playoff against Australia behind closed doors over concerns of COVID-19."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/olympics/tokyo-olympics-2020-matildas-set-to-play-decisive-qualifier-against-vietnam-behind-closed-doors/news-story/2dc19e29c2971859f90fc123bca8781b

"The NRL will enact any directive from the Federal Government — which includes locking out fans or segregating them for matches — if the coronavirus outbreak spreads further."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/how-the-nrl-will-deal-with-the-coronavirus-if-outbreaks-spread-further/news-story/c5df7fb77732fd5fe46f7267766a9e86

elksy
elksy
Hacker
Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)

8,473 in Adelaide, actually a decent figure 
15,102 in Melbourne, just meh, disappointing for a Blue Big but Marvel is awful and so are the tards
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Gyfox - 8 Mar 2020 7:35 AM
bluebird - 8 Mar 2020 7:02 AM

Interesting that playing games without spectators is already happening.  Why?

Because the approach to the Corona virus has been using a nuclear missile to knock in a loose nail

If people can go to school (which is a large congregation of people) then they can attend sport

libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
elksy - 8 Mar 2020 7:40 AM

15,102 in Melbourne, just meh, disappointing for a Blue Big 

I'll say...
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

bluebird - 8 Mar 2020 7:45 AM
Gyfox - 8 Mar 2020 7:35 AM

Because the approach to the Corona virus has been using a nuclear missile to knock in a loose nail

If people can go to school (which is a large congregation of people) then they can attend sport

"Schools have already been closed in the northern regions worst affected by the outbreak, including Lombardy, Veneto, Piedmont and Friuli Venezia Giulia, as well as parts of Liguria and Marche."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/italy-orders-closure-of-schools-and-universities-due-to-coronavirus

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

15,102 in Melbourne, just meh, disappointing for a Blue Big but Marvel is awful and so are the tards

15k is fine if it's getting played at AAMI rather than Marvel

elksy
elksy
Hacker
Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)

bettega - 8 Mar 2020 8:27 AM

15k is fine and actually pretty solid for a regular season match for Victory, but for the biggest fixture of the season, the big blue, nah should be kicking 20k+ 
Edited
4 Years Ago by elksy
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

so 15k is now "fine" and "solid" for mv ?

deary me how standards have fallen under this new lot...
Gazzza
Gazzza
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Both are shit

RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Gazzza - 8 Mar 2020 9:40 AM

Both are shit

Least we not using the coronavirus like raw fans as an excuse :laugh:

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

Melbourne Victory: Lowest ever attendance for a game against Sydney FC by over 2k
442 forum: Not bad considering

Edited
4 Years Ago by bluebird
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

So if people are staying home because of coronavirus then logically tv ratings must be up.......

Edited
4 Years Ago by AJF
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

libel - 8 Mar 2020 9:14 AM
so 15k is now "fine" and "solid" for mv ?

deary me how standards have fallen under this new lot...

Frankly, I'm impressed that 15000 people parted with their hard earned to watch the game, given how awful Victory are.

But, yeah, the attendance figures this season are horrendous.  Not quite sure what you get personally from spending so much time on these forums highlighting that one fact.  

Sure, the A League is in terrible shape, on the edge of commercial irrelevance. But, really, don't you have a life to go to?
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

bluebird - 8 Mar 2020 11:51 AM

Melbourne Victory: Lowest ever attendance for a game against Sydney FC by over 2k
442 forum: Not bad considering

It's tough to stay positive about the A League this season.   Ratings are woeful; attendances heading squarely for a sub 10k average. 

The best anyone can say about this season is that the people who have walked away in their thousands have the potential, in theory, to be attracted back.  However, I stand by my previously expressed view, based on my own experience in brand campaigns, that the only way to do that is a rebrand and relaunch of the competition.  A shift to Optus would be a natural opportunity to do that.

My professional view is that the  A League, as a brand, now has so many negative associations that it is beyond repair.  It has to be replaced by something else.  To which I add the caveat that the changes have to be meaningful - for example, clubs shifting to appropriately sized stadiums, a reduction in ticket prices, incentives for active support.  The perception must be of an invigorated competition that means business.

Not this horrible half arsed failing thing we call the A League.  Frank Lowy's grandiose and delusional stadium dreams rotting around its neck like a dead albatross.

Which is not align to me in any way with Libel, who seems to have no life and no ideas beyond endlessly coming on here and mocking attendance figures.  How the mods allow him or her to do so is beyond me.  How he or she can bear the endless repetition is also beyond me.  How he or she can't see that the rotting albatross was Frank Lowy's work is another mystery.  
Edited
4 Years Ago by charlied
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

There is no starting again, we got our one shot at starting again.

BullsFC
BullsFC
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)

Glory v City, 6k tops
CCM v Nix, 3k tops

elksy
elksy
Hacker

BullsFC - 8 Mar 2020 10:28 PM
Glory v City, 6k tops
CCM v Nix, 3k tops

CCM v Nix - 3,773
Glory v City - 8,107

No Mates
No Mates
Super Fan
Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)Super Fan (166 reputation)

Wellington Phoenix FC

charlied
charlied
Pro

n0mates - 9 Mar 2020 8:41 PM

Awful figures 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend

It’s gotten to the point where none of my inner circle care that much. After city beating perth in a great match I was buzzing but nobody cares besides a A couple 100 city fans on Facebook 
bettega
bettega
World Class

charlied - 9 Mar 2020 10:29 PM

Awful figures 

They are not awful.
Most might be down on previous highs, but they are not awful.
Three clubs are over 12k, and the next 5 clubs are over 8k.
That's fine, nothing wrong with that.
As we expand, we'll get more clubs averaging around 5k to 7k, that's normal.

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Roar average the previous 2 seasons were 9,093 and 9,632 so nothing really changed.
Next season with some additional signings will hopefully see that rise up a couple thousand or so. 

thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Figures don’t look that bad at all. For me Perth and Sydney the two big disappointments.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

i really think the elephant in the room is Sydney. with all their success in recent years, they should be doing better than 13,000. in 2016-17 they averaged 18,000. maybe they're bored and taking success for granted? or are they using the smaller stadium as an excuse? That would surely affact derby numbers i admit. I’d like to know what initiatives they have put in place to bring in new fans...?

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 10 Mar 2020 10:08 AM
i really think the elephant in the room is Sydney. with all their success in recent years, they should be doing better than 13,000. in 2016-17 they averaged 18,000. maybe they're bored and taking success for granted? or are they using the smaller stadium as an excuse? That would surely affact derby numbers i admit. I’d like to know what initiatives they have put in place to bring in new fans...?

18 000 average is with 40k attending 2 derby matches. 13k is about the long term average for Sydney, I don't see why people would expect, in a league of low standard and against teams providing no competition, that people would turn up on mass to a variety of temporary suburban grounds.

For me, the figures are pretty much to be expected for how the league is travelling, MVFC and WSW having poor seasons having an affect on overall.

In terms of possibilities, I think the top 5 teams should be looking to average 25-30k, a number of middle rung teams looking to average 15-20k then a host of lower/second tier teams looking to average 5-10k with a handful averaging 3-5k.

Beaten by Eldar

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

[quote]
Eldar - 10 Mar 2020 10:40 AM

18 000 average is with 40k attending 2 derby matches. 13k is about the long term average for Sydney, I don't see why people would expect, in a league of low standard and against teams providing no competition, that people would turn up on mass to a variety of temporary suburban grounds.

I did mention derbies in my post. i still think a core support of 12-13,000 is pretty piss poor for a team like Sydney. by the end of this season they will be the most successful team in the league playing in the biggest city. I'm not sure if playing in a temp stadium is a legit excuse when everyone is saying its a more suitable home ground location for them than Moore Park. 

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 10 Mar 2020 10:48 AM
[quote]
Eldar - 10 Mar 2020 10:40 AM

I did mention derbies in my post. i still think a core support of 12-13,000 is pretty piss poor for a team like Sydney. by the end of this season they will be the most successful team in the league playing in the biggest city. I'm not sure if playing in a temp stadium is a legit excuse when everyone is saying its a more suitable home ground location for them than Moore Park. 

Well, you can think what you want but it doesn't change the reality. 13k is fine for the league, just because Sydney is winning easily it doesn't mean the standard is deserving of higher attendances. I don't think "everyone" thinks Kogarah is a better venue than SFS, I certainly don't. I doubt anyone from the north thinks it is.

Beaten by Eldar

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

Good to see expectations are falling in line with attendances. This was a mere 4 years ago (before the WSW stadium move)

Melbourne Victory 22,008
Western Sydney Wanderers 17,746
Sydney FC 16,001
Brisbane Roar 13,892
Melbourne City 10,593
Perth Glory 10,533
Adelaide United 9,565
Newcastle Jets 8,645
Central Coast Mariners 7,395
Wellington Phoenix 6,211

Edited
4 Years Ago by bluebird