It’s a wind up’: Mark Bosnich fires up at NBL article’s ‘completely wrong’ A-League claims

It’s a wind up’: Mark Bosnich fires up at NBL article’s ‘completely...

Author
lurker1979
Weekender
Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)Weekender (25 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Most NBL stadiums are sub 10K so averaging 6K is good. Quite a few stadiums are around 5K.  The Kings from memory have around 18K as the largest. It's kinda hard to average more than 6K when most stadiums are appropriately sized at 6-8K. As for Bogut and Lamelo being "marquee" no not really. Bogut has a resume but has never been the primary option even in his prime. His name and game isn't going to put bums on seats.  As for Lamelo, RJ Hampton Didi Louzada etc they're young kids with no resume and little to no pro experience. The NBL has actively sought them out and sold them on the premise that this is a good place to improve their NBA draft stock (which it has) or a good place to get serious competitive minutes to develop their game in order to prepare for the next season . A lot of the hype being generated is from these young kids - they're not marquees in the same as sense of Ono, Honda or ADP in recent memory. They're marquees in the sense that they are potential stars of the future. And people are excited for that. The crowd figures are clear on this. There have already been guys who go to NBL and then go to the NBA and had solid - if unspectacular careers in the NBA but if there's a guy or two who passes through the NBL who becomes an NBA  franchise level player well it seriously legitimises the NBL.

The article is a pile of crap don't get me wrong. Basketball has very little crossover to football and for lack of a better word shit stirring for the sake of it. In terms of playerbase basketball is competing with AFL for the talent pool. As I've stated before my concern  for the A-league is - what is it moving forward? How is it planning to get there? You can have all the committees/studies/reports/talking heads spew whatever they want but what is the plan. Right now the A-league is just there - it exists. The NBL through it's policies have clearly shown they want to be a pathway for young players to to the NBA.  You can see how they're implementing it, you can see the results . Sure the NBL has leveraged this by selling off the broadcast rights for very little but they're in a way better  position to renegotiate moving forward.  Bosnich is completely right to say the sky hasn't fallen down yet. His responses to the NBL points are lacking though. There is no football style loan system, stadiums are different sizes in basketball v football. The A-league has serious problems and to imply the clubs getting control is the magic bullet to solve the issues that's just wishful thinking. At this stage I just want the a- league to do something of substance to generate any kind of momentum. Not just talking head stuff - an actual vision and feasible plan to accomplish it. As someone who loves both sports the fact that the nBl has a coherent vision and plan makes me excited for it and makes me want to go to games again, the a league has just been disappointing me. The on the field stuff is a good standard but the piss poor marketing, lack of direction at the top level means it's kind of hard to watch. It really feels like the last 2 seasons in particular have just been going through the motions

Edited
5 Years Ago by lurker1979
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Eldar - 19 Nov 2019 7:55 PM
Australia would be better off with Football, Cricket, Basketball and Rugby. It is the fucking boomers with their "alternative football" and "alternative rugby" that is the problem and that is where stories like this come from. Once they all die we can at last become part of the world and help make it a better place, if it isn't too late.

I wouldn't mind watching TV to see what " alternative football" and "alternative rugby" were, is it some sort of new-age crap? ;)
Edited
5 Years Ago by redcup
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Oldc*nt banned already rofl

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Australia would be better off with Football, Cricket, Basketball and Rugby. It is the fucking boomers with their "alternative football" and "alternative rugby" that is the problem and that is where stories like this come from. Once they all die we can at last become part of the world and help make it a better place, if it isn't too late.

Is AFL X alternative football? I thought that was invented by 12 year olds, not boomers.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Nothing to jump all over fellas, its their up cycle for now thats all hence the coverage - the NBL here has been up and down since it ever started.
I recall the huge days as reported when the Sydney Kings were talked about like the harlem globe trotters and the now torn down Sydney Entertainment Centre used to be full.
New crowd has re invigorated it for the umpteenth time.
I have no worries about NBL, gayfl is our problem more than any other game.

Love Football

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

redcup - 20 Nov 2019 11:15 AM

I wouldn't mind watching TV to see what " alternative football" and "alternative rugby" were, is it some sort of new-age crap? ;

I am just waiting to for him to say “ok boomer” . It seems to be the new fad thing to say  for young people . It is their way of blaming everything on older people ... instead of getting off their entitled fat arses and doing something for themselves .
CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

In the same way Hallmark took Valentine’s Day and made everyone think it’s important, the media created Code Wars...

What’s the point of these arguments? They get bought up like one day we will see a battle to the death between all competitions and the winner will be the only sport people are allowed to play or watch...

Newsflash! People like, watch and play multiple sports. Apparently in the media world that’s not allowed...

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

CHEP - 20 Nov 2019 12:33 PM
In the same way Hallmark took Valentine’s Day and made everyone think it’s important, the media created Code Wars...

What’s the point of these arguments? They get bought up like one day we will see a battle to the death between all competitions and the winner will be the only sport people are allowed to play or watch...

Newsflash! People like, watch and play multiple sports. Apparently in the media world that’s not allowed...

but there is no codewars for other sports it's only between the a league.

i never hear about the australia open vs the big bash or big bash vs aflw or anything like that 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

I was into the NBL back in the day of the North Melbourne Giants. I would never go back unless they returned... the obvious exception is if Melbourne Victory bought a licence... which they tried to do 10 or so years ago, but was vetoed by the FFA (they owned the rights to the Melbourne Victory name and wouldn’t let us use it).
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 20 Nov 2019 12:37 PM

i never hear about the australia open vs the big bash or big bash vs aflw or anything like that 

AFL vs NRL?

sav.09@live.com.au
sav.09@live.com.au
Fan
Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)

Because football is the only code the worlds most  insecure sports AFL/NRL and their sycophantic media backers have systemetically sought to control the narratve and not too subtle metaphor for xenophobic mainstream...as 'other minority sport' ..
ie the  sport australia doesnt follow  or more precisely a foreign game REAL strayans SHOULDNT follow.  The media narrative through relentless spin,half-truths and negativity always supports this agenda while burying any obvious stat to disprove this.... 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

petszk - 20 Nov 2019 1:51 PM

AFL vs NRL?

and NRL vs ARU and most north of Vuk dislike gayfl.

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

PEACE DEAL BETWEEN RIVAL CODES IS JUST THE TICKET
After days of social media fury over the relative positions of football and basketball, it can be revealed that Sydney FC and the Sydney Kings have brokered a deal that is a big win for fans of both clubs. 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Once upon a time Code Wars meant football codes.
The unique thing about this discussion involving the NBL is that it's not a football code, so it's surprising someone would try and create a code war with it.

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 22 Nov 2019 7:09 AM
PEACE DEAL BETWEEN RIVAL CODES IS JUST THE TICKET
After days of social media fury over the relative positions of football and basketball, it can be revealed that Sydney FC and the Sydney Kings have brokered a deal that is a big win for fans of both clubs. 

LOL, did a couple of guys from each of these organisations go out to lunch one day & dream this all up?  
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

ErogenousZone - 22 Nov 2019 8:36 AM
Melbcityguy - 22 Nov 2019 7:09 AM

LOL, did a couple of guys from each of these organisations go out to lunch one day & dream this all up?  

the ceo of sydney kings and sydney fc are mates 
con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

miron mercedes - 20 Nov 2019 11:53 AM
redcup - 20 Nov 2019 11:15 AM

I am just waiting to for him to say “ok boomer” . It seems to be the new fad thing to say  for young people . It is their way of blaming everything on older people ... instead of getting off their entitled fat arses and doing something for themselves .

as a proud boomer i'd like to know why young people these days have so many mental health issues 

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

I was "OK Boomered" over this very issue on facebook the other day. i think the irony was lost on the poor kid. 
Timmo
Timmo
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

I remember 25 years ago at least when AFL found NBL's popularity threatening to them. Remember NBL played during the footy seasons and for a time held its own probably up to at least the mid 90s.

There were code wars that didn't involve football.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search