Optus secure J-League rights

Optus secure J-League rights

Author
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Optus scores goal in soccer push with Japanese Football League rights

Optus Sport has secured a three-year exclusive deal for the Japanese Professional Football League as the streaming service chalks up 800,000 subscribers and positions itself as the home of soccer.

The deal, which will fill the telecommunication provider's content schedule for the year, is the first for Optus Sport in the Asian market. Up to four matches per round will be broadcast live and on demand for viewers as part of the arrangement.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/optus-scores-goal-in-soccer-push-with-japanese-football-league-rights-20200205-p53y09.html

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

How much did they pay for that?  

Interesting they paid 50 million over three years for the EPL which means they would NEVER pay that much for the A League.  

Edited
4 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
Proud2BeCanberran
Proud2BeCanberran
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

800,000 subscribers is quite decent. If you can capture a portion of that and Optus are willing to secure A-League rights I'd think that would be a great arrangement providing financials are solid.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Fucking mon. J-League is great content.

Viennese Vuck

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Damn, optus looking very tempting now
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Nice one Optus. 
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

This might make Foxtel reconsider their position on the HAL ie they may want to look at keeping the rights at the end of the current contract.
Edited
4 Years Ago by aok
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 6 Feb 2020 8:39 AM
How much did they pay for that?  

Interesting they paid 50 million over three years for the EPL which means they would NEVER pay that much for the A League.  

Optus paid $200m over three years for the rights 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Optus looking more and more like our future home.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

happy optus subscriber since their last WC debacle but since all good now another good league to watch.
Hope they consider AL one day when the time comes up.

Love Football

WSF
WSF
Pro

LFC. - 6 Feb 2020 9:21 AM
happy optus subscriber since their last WC debacle but since all good now another good league to watch.
Hope they consider AL one day when the time comes up.

Least they have someone to go to if Foxtel dump the league. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

bettega - 6 Feb 2020 9:13 AM
Optus looking more and more like our future home.

Problem is that optus don't produce content they only buy content.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

aok - 6 Feb 2020 9:03 AM
This might make Foxtel reconsider their position on the HAL ie they may want to look at keeping the rights at the end of the current contract.

I would be interested to know how hungry Fox are to win back the EPL?

Can't see them not having any football content. The Euro games scattered across channels isn't enough.

In a resort somewhere

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

paulc - 6 Feb 2020 9:32 AM
aok - 6 Feb 2020 9:03 AM

I would be interested to know how hungry Fox are to win back the EPL?

Can't see them not having any football content. The Euro games scattered across channels isn't enough.

Well considering they paid overs for the afl nrl and cricket rights . They probably present a shit amount for it 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Legit hope Optus get the A-League now. Their app is the best and is available on every platform. 

e.g. I use my Xbox as my media centre. Optus has a native app which makes watching EPL a breeze. Kayo still doesn’t have a native app, so I have to go via the Internet app which makes the stream freeze constantly.

Even the Kayo phone app can’t compare to the brilliance of the Optus phone app, which shows you lineups, stats etc right below the broadcast.

Foxtel sucks. Optus is the future. 

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

someguyjc - 6 Feb 2020 9:32 AM
bettega - 6 Feb 2020 9:13 AM

Problem is that optus don't produce content they only buy content.

Which makes it even more critical that the new league bosses seriously consider the prospect of bringing the broadcast production in house - if they can sell a finished product, then the likes of Optus become far more interested.
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

walnuts - 6 Feb 2020 9:48 AM
someguyjc - 6 Feb 2020 9:32 AM

Which makes it even more critical that the new league bosses seriously consider the prospect of bringing the broadcast production in house - if they can sell a finished product, then the likes of Optus become far more interested.

What's the cost of something like that? The upside is huge though. 
CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

NRL and AFL are reported to be exploring their own content production. It’s the way of the future imo and means that leagues still have autonomy over their futures and decision making rather than being beholden to the wishes of a broadcaster. The A-League needs to be seriously considering this.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

I'm now really tempted to add the football package to my phone.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

A league must really push to do their own content that way they have more control on their destiny and with a JV with the FFA could package up all Matilda, Socceroos, Joeys and Olyroos content.
Time to have a 50 year plan , you look at what Japan are doing , pure vision for the future.
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

With Optus interest in Rugby and J-League, suggest they are looking for winter content to keep the 800K subscribers happy.

vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

This is amazing. 

The more we can see of our own continent football the better and what better league then the j league.

I'm so excited by this.
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Bowden - 6 Feb 2020 9:45 AM
Legit hope Optus get the A-League now. Their app is the best and is available on every platform. 

e.g. I use my Xbox as my media centre. Optus has a native app which makes watching EPL a breeze. Kayo still doesn’t have a native app, so I have to go via the Internet app which makes the stream freeze constantly.

Even the Kayo phone app can’t compare to the brilliance of the Optus phone app, which shows you lineups, stats etc right below the broadcast.

I got the Kayo app to try and got rid of it after a month.

The interface is terrible and all over the shop, really poorly organised.

Optus sport app has a really good interface and really well organised easy to find everything
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

It's also in a decent time zone, which has always been my problem with EPL. I had OPTUS for EPL but as I was only watching it for Mini Match replays and was paying for Kayo as well, I gave it up and kept Kayo. J-League and EPL is starting to look seriously attractive again at that price. 

Beaten by Eldar

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

With a little luck, we could have a situation where we are selling A-League rights back into Japan.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

When Fox had EPL, the coverage was brilliant, just as OS is now mind you.
I still have Fox but OS is ten times better for viewing as you say and much to read incl mini matchs, classics etcetc......
Great app and can log on with any device I have at the time.
Coverage sometimes suffers a minor pause but not often.
It would be perfect IF the AL can end up in OS.
By the way - JL starts Feb 21 till season end Nov.
More to see - through our winter, Euro 2020 starts June 12 ends July 12.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Eldar - 6 Feb 2020 11:20 AM
It's also in a decent time zone, which has always been my problem with EPL. I had OPTUS for EPL but as I was only watching it for Mini Match replays and was paying for Kayo as well, I gave it up and kept Kayo. J-League and EPL is starting to look seriously attractive again at that price. 

Damn, I couldn't give up watching EPL even when it changed from Fox, especially what I'm experiencing last couple of seasons :)
I set my alarm for every LFC game, I'm up no matter the time but I can deal with sleep deprivation.
You can many full games On Demand if missed.

Love Football

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

LFC. - 6 Feb 2020 12:16 PM

When Fox had EPL, the coverage was brilliant, just as OS is now mind you.
I still have Fox but OS is ten times better for viewing as you say and much to read incl mini matchs, classics etcetc......
Great app and can log on with any device I have at the time.
Coverage sometimes suffers a minor pause but not often.
It would be perfect IF the AL can end up in OS.
By the way - JL starts Feb 21 till season end Nov.
More to see - through our winter, Euro 2020 starts June 12 ends July 12.

I thought Fox's coverage of the EPL stank tbh and I was glad they lost it. Most of the games were on the red button, which were in SD and unable to be recorded whilst the studio was so half arsed with Bosnich and Slater talking shit and boring everyone with the same old stories about their own careers. There was fuck all tactical analysis worth listening to and I ended up just streaming the SKY UK and BT Sport coverage as it was way better.

The professionalism with which Optus has treated their content been a breath of fresh air. I don't expect them to give the same in depth treatment to every league they buy but I'd love to see what they could do with more content.

Viennese Vuck

Edited
4 Years Ago by melbourne_terrace
thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Enjoy Optus but every match seems to be about a minute late in coverage (ie mate gets notfication on phone of a goal 50 seconds prior to seeing the goal on Optus).
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I’m also hearing Optus secured the rights to Copa America, so they’re showing an interest in Australian football with their first Socceroos broadcast coming up later this year. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search