tball/ffa-ceo-james-johnson-reveals-11point-plan-to-transform-australian-football

tball/ffa-ceo-james-johnson-reveals-11point-plan-to-transform-australi...

Author
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Are we allowed to play International club friendlies without having to be pay a fee to the FFA. That was one thing that Gallop / De Bohun brought in that made absolutely no sense at all. I would love to see that scrapped. 

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

scott20won - 2 Jul 2020 6:58 PM
“Ensuring effective spending to control and bring balance to escalating costs.”
Salary cap

“Introduce measures to increase the length of time players stay with their clubs to develop a stronger connection between the club, player, and fan (e.g. Matt McKay and Claire Polkinghorne at Brisbane Roar).”
Salary cap allowances 

The first point should be No - Clubs have budgets, they should be able to know what they can and cant afford to spend. They are not little children. 
The second point should be No - Again, clubs know what players they need and for how long. I don't understand why anyone has to interfere at all in the recruitment of a player to a club or incentivize a players stay. 

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Wonder if there was direct wording in the full report about a Second Division.
The current and existing comps mean A League and NPL.  
What does more minutes for youth mean?
Will the youth play 26 weeks of football, or play 5 matches instead of 3 matches per season in the A League, 15 mins per match
instead of 4 minutes of injury time per contribution?

Edited
4 Years Ago by soccerfoo
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
RBBAnonymous - 2 Jul 2020 7:30 PM
scott20won - 2 Jul 2020 6:58 PM

The first point should be No - Clubs have budgets, they should be able to know what they can and cant afford to spend. They are not little children. 
The second point should be No - Again, clubs know what players they need and for how long. I don't understand why anyone has to interfere at all in the recruitment of a player to a club or incentivize a players stay. 

This. Never understood the argument otherwise. If a club does fuck up the rest of the league can be protected by a points deduction and probable relegation to a level they can financially regroup at.
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

paladisious - 2 Jul 2020 5:05 PM
libel - 2 Jul 2020 5:03 PM

libel - 2 Jul 2020 5:03 PM
@ paladisious

I see a mention of "promotion", but nothing about relegation which is, you know, the "rel" in pro-rel...

No word from you in the World Cup bid that we won 😁

Edited
4 Years Ago by n i k o
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Better than Gallop's rubbish 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

RBBAnonymous - 2 Jul 2020 7:26 PM
Are we allowed to play International club friendlies without having to be pay a fee to the FFA. That was one thing that Gallop / De Bohun brought in that made absolutely no sense at all. I would love to see that scrapped. 

That is a terrible thing.

I don’t think Man U or Juventus care if they play WSW or Allstars. Just as long as they get paid.

Doesn’t it come down to ownership or ip of the clubs? As long as FFA control the franchise system and ips they will charge the match fee for using their product.

With a season change we may see midseason break to play these matches. Even worse if it’s like MLS and they play when season is on.

Edited
4 Years Ago by scott20won
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

scott20won - 2 Jul 2020 9:37 PM
RBBAnonymous - 2 Jul 2020 7:26 PM

That is a terrible thing.

I don’t think Man U or Juventus care if they play WSW or Allstars. Just as long as they get paid.

Doesn’t it come down to ownership or ip of the clubs? As long as FFA control the franchise system and ips they will charge the match fee for using their product.

With a season change we may see midseason break to play these matches. Even worse if it’s like MLS and they play when season is on.

Plus, the officials have to get paid too.
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

scott20won - 2 Jul 2020 4:19 PM
“Optimise the competition structure of the FFA Cup, such as transitioning into a group stage, to enhance its ability to engage with the roots of Australian football and increase the number of matches being played and match minutes to encourage player production. The FFA Cup to be the last match of our football season.”

in Sweden it is group stages. It’s shit. 
2 teams get 2 home games and the other 2 1 home game

yes fuck that shit 
if you want group stage put it in the NPL Finals and make that competition  Australia's version of Europa
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Jegga7698 - 2 Jul 2020 4:44 PM
Is the a-league separating or not? Why is the shape of the a-league being dictated to in a FFA document?

No it is not. 
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

That is a decent read... 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

GDeathe - 2 Jul 2020 10:13 PM
scott20won - 2 Jul 2020 4:19 PM

yes fuck that shit 
if you want group stage put it in the NPL Finals and make that competition  Australia's version of Europa

Season is April to November. They wanted more games in pre season. Group stage is pre season. R1 & R2 is played year before; 

R1 32 div 1 & 2 bye. 64 lower leagues (allocated spots via county federation size)
R2 32 div 1 & 2 away against 32 R1 winners away
Group - eg. for 2020 cup
The 16 highest remaining ranked teams from div1 & div2 are seeded from 2019 season. So winner from div 1 is 1, last is 16. If a team is knocked out from div 1 everyone under moves up one, so div2 winner would become 16 etc. Then it’s 1 & 16 in one group, 2 & 15 in next 3 & 14 etc.
“All teams in the group stage will play each other once, the highest-ranked teams from the previous rounds and teams from tier three or lower will have the right to play two home matches.”
R16 is an open draw

Edited
4 Years Ago by scott20won
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

libel - 2 Jul 2020 3:53 PM
someguyjc - 2 Jul 2020 3:49 PM

They sure are.

So, any mention of a NSD ?

Any mention of pro-rel ?

Exactly.  Fuck all.  

A generous interpretation would say that's possibly under point 2.

Member since 2008.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Some key articles to date.
  SBS
FA reveal ‘XI Principles’ for the future of Australian football
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ffa-reveal-xi-principles-for-the-future-of-australian-football

FFA's engagement with fans is the perfect principle for success
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ffa-s-engagement-with-fans-is-the-perfect-principle-for-success

ABC
FFA wants to transform football in Australia as Women's World Cup approaches
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-02/football-federation-australia-wants-to-transform-the-game/12417268

Inside Sport
FFA'S PLAN FOR TOP-15 SOCCEROOS AND $85M IN A-LEAGUE TRANSFERS
https://thewomensgame.com/news/ffas-plan-for-top-15-socceroos-and-85m-in-a-league-transfers-550022
FFA REVEAL THEIR AGENDA BLUEPRINT
https://thewomensgame.com/news/ffa-reveal-their-agenda-blueprint-550019
W-LEAGUE CAN BE TOP-FIVE LEAGUE
https://thewomensgame.com/news/w-league-can-be-top-five-league-550017

sethman75
sethman75
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

It's only taken 15 years but the bright sparks have figured out if we can develop top players, we could make some money!!!!

15 freaken years man!!!!

Our NT has suffered badly for small minded incompetent owners.
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro

In all honesty the FFA and the A-league risks another split in the game when it can ill afford one especially in this environment. I know it wont happen but I would love to see a situation develop in Australia as occurred in India. The only difference being that an FFA style governance model would be going from a franchise system to a club/open tiered system. It would certainly have the backing of FIFA even though they would not be impressed that there is a breakaway competition. The clubs at the NPL level already threatened doing this which forced Gallops hand. If FIFA had to choose between the current FFA and a new one that promoted pro/rel and the like I wonder which way they would choose. Honestly I am getting so fed up with the promises and no action on this. In all honesty this is holding back football in Australia. I like the A-league but I would love an environment that promotes pro/rel. The clubs would be forced to immediately change, new players would enter the market, clubs would merge, it would be very dynamic and there would be no room for complacency. It would strengthen us as a football nation, not make it weaker. 

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

I think this is real progress ... my hope is we unite behind JJ ... to date history in Australian Football is so many people believe they have the answers ... ego's, etc...

He can't do it by himself ... he needs key stakeholders behind him...

To date JJ seems to have the support of key stakeholder groups...

If he can create a 35 to 40 week competition with P & R, he will have support of many within the broader Football community

Edited
4 Years Ago by Midfielder
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro

Midfielder - 2 Jul 2020 11:43 PM
I think this is real progress ... my hope is we unite behind JJ ... to date history in Australian Football is so many people believe they have the answers ... ego's, etc...

He can't do it by himself ... he needs key stakeholders behind him...

To date JJ seems to have the support of key stakeholder groups...

Thats all very well and good but the biggest and most important stakeholders continually get ignored. 

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

RBBAnonymous - 2 Jul 2020 11:44 PM

Thats all very well and good but the biggest and most important stakeholders continually get ignored. 

We don't have an argument there...

Also as i amended my post later if he can create a 35 to 40 week competition with P & R, he will get lots of support.

I long argued that the Lowies could manage any top 10 company in Australia ... but not be able to manage a park team canteen... 

In my lifetime only two people hhhmmm maybe three has understood the importance of connecting to local park teams ... Nick Tana at Perth Glory in the NSL, and before him various managers at Newcastle teams... The Northern Spirit copied PG and it worked...

You could maybe go back further, but from David Hill [league & cricket], Ian Knob [I think thats how it was spelt league], JON [union], BB {AFL], Gallop [Cricket & League]. but we have never had well never had for years a Football person in charge and even when we had Football folk in charge most had biases many to their clubs.

I like he said he wants to here from fans and sites will remain open to the end of the month.

No idea if he will succeed, but he is a Football person, with no connection to any stakeholder group, and in various jobs at the PFA, AFC & FIFA a wealth of experience... he is on paper what we have always wanted... I hope he lives up to his potential and gets the support he will need.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

Midfielder - 3 Jul 2020 12:24 AM

We don't have an argument there...

Also as i amended my post later if he can create a 35 to 40 week competition with P & R, he will get lots of support.

I long argued that the Lowies could manage any top 10 company in Australia ... but not be able to manage a park team canteen... 

In my lifetime only two people hhhmmm maybe three has understood the importance of connecting to local park teams ... Nick Tana at Perth Glory in the NSL, and before him various managers at Newcastle teams... The Northern Spirit copied PG and it worked...

You could maybe go back further, but from David Hill [league & cricket], Ian Knob [I think thats how it was spelt league], JON [union], BB {AFL], Gallop [Cricket & League]. but we have never had well never had for years a Football person in charge and even when we had Football folk in charge most had biases many to their clubs.

I like he said he wants to here from fans and sites will remain open to the end of the month.

No idea if he will succeed, but he is a Football person, with no connection to any stakeholder group, and in various jobs at the PFA, AFC & FIFA a wealth of experience... he is on paper what we have always wanted... I hope he lives up to his potential and gets the support he will need.

Nikou already made the statement last year at a fan event-

“Football fans eager to see promotion and relegation in the A-League are set for a long wait. FFA chairman Chris Nikou has told a Football Writers' Festival in NSW that promotion and relegation is unlikely to occur any time soon.
 "The current A-League clubs have a licence till 2034 so promotion and relegation earlier than that is not likely," Nikou, a guest speaker at the festival, said.
 "I might point out that the FFA has a right to change that but in the current climate it would not be right for me to take this any further."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5971295/no-a-league-relegation-rush-from-ffa-chair/

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

scott20won - 3 Jul 2020 12:34 AM
Midfielder - 3 Jul 2020 12:24 AM

Nikou already made the statement last year at a fan event-

“Football fans eager to see promotion and relegation in the A-League are set for a long wait. FFA chairman Chris Nikou has told a Football Writers' Festival in NSW that promotion and relegation is unlikely to occur any time soon.
 "The current A-League clubs have a licence till 2034 so promotion and relegation earlier than that is not likely," Nikou, a guest speaker at the festival, said.
 "I might point out that the FFA has a right to change that but in the current climate it would not be right for me to take this any further."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5971295/no-a-league-relegation-rush-from-ffa-chair/

Maybe

BUT

Thats not what the license want today.

If an Australian Professional league was developed to a stage whereby investors could recover their investment they would accept P & R. 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

Midfielder - 3 Jul 2020 1:03 AM

Maybe

BUT

If an Australian Professional league was developed to a stage whereby investors could recover their investment they would accept P & R. 

“For the benefit of the National Teams and grassroots programs, the NLWG has identified a number of ongoing funding opportunities that the Leagues will provide, including:
 • FFA will receive 10% yields from the sale of new Club licenses and on the net profits from any sale of existing licenses.”

https://www.footballvictoria.com.au/news/new-leagues-working-group-nlwg-reaches-principle-agreement-recommendations-a-new-era-football

AFC have stated in India if pro rel is brought in the franchise license becomes invalid.

I guess FFA could run NSD and APFCA could take a license fee (take over if a team went down) from promoted clubs. In the case of AL expansion they would want a fee.

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

The Players? 

Waz
Waz
Legend

How many plans have we had over the years? Way too many to talk about here - I mean, who can forget old-FFAs ‘Whole of Football Plan’ supported by their communist-style 5 and 20 year plans? 

I don’t dislike what I read here, but it’s just the latest PDF document with a nice plan in it. Yes the points in this one seems more pertinent, specific and relevant to anything we’ve seen before BUT like any plan - it’s all about the execution! Can new FFA get that right?

I’m a big supporter of pro/rel and it’s an interesting debate on these pages and is somewhat of an omission here - but p/r won’t fix anything and introduced at the wrong time would kill the professional game. 

So I see pro/rel as an outcome of all this: if we have a healthy top tier, a healthy national second division, a healthy group of clubs underneath that organised in a relevant and working pyramid then p/r can work, but not before (putting p/r in place now would be like building a house and trying to put the roof on before the foundations and walls) 

con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

karta - 2 Jul 2020 3:49 PM
Kamaryn - 2 Jul 2020 3:44 PM

The pdf on the FFA's page is huge. There's a lot in there; Women's FFA Cup, season change, football-specific stadiums, pushing for more gov funding, etc.

well if they can satisfactorily execute these in a timely manner then we are off to a good start
Waz
Waz
Legend

conm - 3 Jul 2020 7:53 AM

well if they can satisfactorily execute these in a timely manner then we are off to a good start

Well said. 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

My very first thought was:  no P&R coming any time soon.

AJF
AJF
Pro

Midfielder - 3 Jul 2020 1:03 AM

Maybe

BUT

So long as the top tier is run under a franchise model there will be no real football progress as main concern is always about protecting franchisee's investments and football comes second.

juniorcoach
juniorcoach
Fan
Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)Fan (57 reputation)

What happened to "Whole of Football plan"
This is just another corporate spin that will be forgotten about as quick as it has been written
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Kamaryn - 2 Jul 2020 3:44 PM

The pdf on the FFA's page is huge. There's a lot in there; Women's FFA Cup, season change, football-specific stadiums, pushing for more gov funding, etc.

evolution - 2 Jul 2020 3:53 PM

Direct link to the PDF

EDIT: Pala beat me to it

Thanks. Appreciate that :)

*On another note, more embarrassed that I wrote accept instead of except :Whistling:
Edited
4 Years Ago by Kamaryn
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search