Will the negativity surrounding football be the death of the professional game in Australia?

Will the negativity surrounding football be the death of the...

Author
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Balin Trev - 30 Sep 2020 9:20 AM
Davstar - 30 Sep 2020 8:08 AM

Yes. I know nothing at all. You know everything... maybe u should apply for job at FFA 😁

If he knows everything he is overqualified for FFA, you on the other hand.....

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

AJF - 30 Sep 2020 9:52 AM

Balin Trev - 30 Sep 2020 9:20 AM

If he knows everything he is overqualified for FFA, you on the other hand.....

Look who it is. Another that THINKS he knows everything and anybody that doesn’t agree with you must be stupid... Both of you should be running FFA instead of JJ 
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

bettega - 30 Sep 2020 9:41 AM
Davstar - 29 Sep 2020 10:52 PM

I agree with a lot of your sentiments, hard to argue with, but I don't agree with this one.
There is no starting again.
We got rid of the a 27 year old national league to establish a new professional comp.
You cannot do that a second time within 20 years (in fact, it can never happen again).
You can't keep stopping and starting, over a 140 year history of the sport in this country, that's one thing we  have been guilty of, starting anew with a clean slate too often.
We just have to direct the current structure towards a better structure.
Yes, it will be slow and painful, but that's better than starting from scratch (again).
The longer we put off generations being able to follow the league and clubs, well, the longer we get generations following the league and clubs.

You dont have to 'scrap' everything like they did the with NSL you keep the clubs, keep a TV deal

But scrap the structure -  a-line the sport with the the NPL in a winter season, let the 10-12 biggest NPL clubs form a second division sell those TV rights divide it to the clubs in the 2nd div so they can be competitive (you would get at least 15-20m) 

The current AL clubs form the 1st division - if Nix want to stay in the division the NZ FA and Skysport NZ need to finance  it no money from our TV Deal or FFA they are also allowed a club in the 2nd division if they want to pay for it they are allowed a women side but again NZ pay for it

All clubs need to have a 10-15k seater stadium by 20xx and bang football is 100% better then it is now

Get rid of finals 
Get rid of the NYL 

Have a 3rd division which is state based with the clubs in the region that the clubs in division 1 and 2 are have field a reserve side in in which 8 of the 11 players on the field have to be Australia (or NZ if they are Nix)

Thus u have 2 professional (ish) divisions and a state based secondary competition that the professional sides have to field a reserves side (youth team) in (this is what they do in germany ie Borussia Dortmund 2 plays in Germany 3  division 

the only difference is we have split the competition from a national pro competition 2 divisions 
and a state based competition as many divisions as each state wish to have (this could also have a TV deal but i dare say it wouldnt be worth much) But these teams feed into the professional division 

You have 2 cup competitions a FFA cup all teams pro-semi pro can play in if they choose too (pro teams have to compete) (prize money) 

and a League cup FFA which is just between the pro team from division 1 and 2 (prize money ACL spot) 

And of course the league title itself (big prize money and ACL spot)

I dont understand how difficult that is too? it is a simple structure all you need to do is remove the cap and the floor and it is affordable and doable - we throw NZ under the bus but who gives a f**k about them if they dont want to pay for a pro team then im all for throwing them out if they are happy to fund a side then i got no issue with it 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Balin Trev - 30 Sep 2020 10:11 AM

Look who it is. Another that THINKS he knows everything and anybody that doesn’t agree with you must be stupid... Both of you should be running FFA instead of JJ 

kettle, meet pot

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

AJF - 30 Sep 2020 11:29 AM

kettle, meet pot

😴😴😴
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

I never claim to know everything i just call things as i see it - i think the vast majority of footballs do - you got an agenda in ur support of GA which is fine im just stating facts  - the reason you dont like it is he facts go against ur agenda 

GA proves me wrong ill be the 1st to say it but his Asian cup was his 1st opportunity and he failed terribly anyone who things he didnt is an idiot - he has to qualify for a world cup at the very least and do something at the WC like win a game but to his defense the team he has is useless and Australia or any team in Asia bar Japan and S.Korea going to the world cup is simply a waste of space and a waste of spot. I Actually think AFC needs to lose some WC spots becuz the region as a whole is uncompetitive at the tournament. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

aussies like winners, when Kewell was lining up for the UCL final... he was getting interviews with 60 mins, all aussie media.. sames goes for WC in 2006.. 

you need top players for the local media to get interested.. only thing that's going to grow this game... if we get another kewell or messi.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

jas88 - 30 Sep 2020 12:11 PM
aussies like winners, when Kewell was lining up for the UCL final... he was getting interviews with 60 mins, all aussie media.. sames goes for WC in 2006.. 

you need top players for the local media to get interested.. only thing that's going to grow this game... if we get another kewell or messi.

This +1 

libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)

A sure sign of national immaturity, imho.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

libelous - 30 Sep 2020 12:48 PM

Not really everyone likes winners and top athletes this isn't 'exclusive' to Australia 
Immaturity would be if we had top players but failed to give them exposure - this is not the case....

libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)

Davstar - 30 Sep 2020 1:12 PM

Not really everyone likes winners and top athletes this isn't 'exclusive' to Australia 
Immaturity would be if we had top players but failed to give them exposure - this is not the case....

This gets back to how you measure the sport in which your ‘top players ‘ play. We are winners in a few sports played in ‘half a dozen countries’ but is that the measure we should apply when deciding what is worthy of a fair slice of national recognition.  Football is far from the only sport here getting dismal publicity but it is the only global sport.
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

Davstar - 30 Sep 2020 10:28 AM
bettega - 30 Sep 2020 9:41 AM

You dont have to 'scrap' everything like they did the with NSL you keep the clubs, keep a TV deal

But scrap the structure -  a-line the sport with the the NPL in a winter season, let the 10-12 biggest NPL clubs form a second division sell those TV rights divide it to the clubs in the 2nd div so they can be competitive (you would get at least 15-20m) 

The current AL clubs form the 1st division - if Nix want to stay in the division the NZ FA and Skysport NZ need to finance  it no money from our TV Deal or FFA they are also allowed a club in the 2nd division if they want to pay for it they are allowed a women side but again NZ pay for it

All clubs need to have a 10-15k seater stadium by 20xx and bang football is 100% better then it is now

Get rid of finals 
Get rid of the NYL 

Have a 3rd division which is state based with the clubs in the region that the clubs in division 1 and 2 are have field a reserve side in in which 8 of the 11 players on the field have to be Australia (or NZ if they are Nix)

Thus u have 2 professional (ish) divisions and a state based secondary competition that the professional sides have to field a reserves side (youth team) in (this is what they do in germany ie Borussia Dortmund 2 plays in Germany 3  division 

the only difference is we have split the competition from a national pro competition 2 divisions 
and a state based competition as many divisions as each state wish to have (this could also have a TV deal but i dare say it wouldnt be worth much) But these teams feed into the professional division 

You have 2 cup competitions a FFA cup all teams pro-semi pro can play in if they choose too (pro teams have to compete) (prize money) 

and a League cup FFA which is just between the pro team from division 1 and 2 (prize money ACL spot) 

And of course the league title itself (big prize money and ACL spot)

I dont understand how difficult that is too? it is a simple structure all you need to do is remove the cap and the floor and it is affordable and doable - we throw NZ under the bus but who gives a f**k about them if they dont want to pay for a pro team then im all for throwing them out if they are happy to fund a side then i got no issue with it 

Agree with a lot of this, but let's dig down in the details a little. You say you want to scrap the A-League and start over again, but that's not really what you're proposing. The clubs stay the same, the name of the comp stays the same, and the league format stays pretty much the same (unlike when the NSL collapsed). What you really want is an integrated football pyramid along European lines. And as for your concrete proposals:

- Align the seasons in winter: Done

- Let the 10-12 biggest NPL clubs form a second division: This is now happening under the AAFC. Hopefully some new regional clubs can be included too (Canberra, Hobart, North Queensland, maybe Auckland), depending on A-League expansion. However, I would rather focus on second division than expanding the A-League.

- Sell the TV rights to cover travel costs for the NSD: Sure. but how much do you really think a second division can get for broadcasting. Most NPL clubs have potential fanbases of a couple thousand at best. I'd say you'd be extremely lucky to get a couple of million per year, certainly not $15-20m (the A-League will be lucky to get that the way things are going at the moment)

- Wellington funded by NZ FA/NZ TV money: Sure, hopefully they will come to the table. Sky apparently pays $180k per year for NZ TV rights. This should obviously be more.

10-15k seater stadiums: This is the hard one. The investment is huge and the ROI is not obvious. Brisbane and Wellington definitely need appropriately sized grounds, and both are tentatively looking into it. What about the other A-League teams? Maybe Melbourne City and Newcastle could build new grounds. Adelaide, Perth, Victory, Central Coast and Wanderers already have grounds that match the size of their fanbase, and it's not obvious that building their own ground would leave them better off. Sydney FC should make sure the new SFS has a good 25k-seater mode (if the LCD curtain was scrapped, they could just have a cloth curtain). Again it's not certain they would be better off spending a couple of hundred million on building their own stadium of comparable quality.

Get rid of finals: Not in favour of this. I think the current system with a Premier and a Champion works well. The Premier already has a lot more recognition in the A-League (and guarantees ACL qualification) than minor premiers have in the AFL/NRL.

- Scrap the NYL, have reserve sides from national divisions in state comps: I think the jury is out on this. Youth players need a full-length season, but whether that's a youth-only comp or competing in the lower tiers of the senior system is an open question. Whatever provides the best conditions for developing young players. I would probably prefer a full-length NYL to be honest.

- Introduce a League Cup: I like this idea, it would provide regular competitive games between A-League and NSD teams, and it could be done as a pre-season comp (perhaps with a group phase) to give structure to the pre-season. Would also like to see a Super Cup between the league champions and the cup-winners as a curtain-raiser to the season.

Some other points:

- W-League should also be aligned with the winter season, go to a full-length season (at least 10 teams and 27 rounds), and look into pro-rel as well eventually (a national second division might be a bridge too far, but there could be pro-rel from the NPLW).

- FFA Cup and League Cup finals should be held in Canberra every year, rather than the lucky dip that FFA Cup finals are at the moment. 8 out of 12 A-League clubs are either in NSW or Vic, so would be a bus ride away for travelling supporters (and 2 more are a short flight).

- Quarantine the Saturday 3pm slot for lower tier matches (NPL and non-televised NSD games). A-League games should all have their own broadcast slots in the evening/night-time.

- respect the international breaks for the league, but have FFA Cup rounds on these dates (if clubs have players out on international duty, then that's just part of the "Magic of the Cup").

Davstar
Davstar
World Class

libelous - 30 Sep 2020 3:42 PM
Davstar - 30 Sep 2020 1:12 PM

This gets back to how you measure the sport in which your ‘top players ‘ play. We are winners in a few sports played in ‘half a dozen countries’ but is that the measure we should apply when deciding what is worthy of a fair slice of national recognition.  Football is far from the only sport here getting dismal publicity but it is the only global sport.

You either got good players or you dont - we currently dont thus interest is at an all time low. 

I dont follow athletics and i dont care about Jamaica but i know who Usain Bolt is, becuz the athlete is a 'brand'.
Ive never watched a game of golf but i know who 'tiger woods' is etc

Sport on a professional level is a business and clubs/players/leagues are brands. 

Thus it is hard to market Australian football when we are rubbish. During 2006 golden Era Socceroos where on Weet Bix, Optus ads etc they were everywhere. Becuz when a fan typed in Kewell/Viduka/Cahill etc and saw the player scoring in the PL you where like this guy is class. Becuz the EPL itself is a 'massive brand' even if you dont like football you know that the PL is one of the best if not the best best league in the world u know Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world - thus when you see Australians doing well in the PL it turns those players into a 'brand' themselves. 
It is why everyone was a lil disappointed Mooy has gone to the CSL when he could of kept playing in the PL

The easiest way to put it is 
If the EPL (or European football) is Nike. The AL are home brand runners but they are trying to charge Nike prices, they dont look as nice, they arent as flash so why buy them? The Brands within Australian football right now are rubbish bar the clubs are seen as rubbish becuz they are held back by a salary cap in a league with a joke of a structure, the socceroos are seen as rubbish becuz they lack star power. Even people who arent major EPL fans would say to me ill watch Brighton to see Mooy and Ryan play (last season)  

It is cut and dry in sport - need to realise we cant complete with 'top' leagues for quality but we can produce quality to play in those top leagues which overall lifts the brand that is the AL and Australian football. At the same time seeing AL players struggle to make it in Europe and fail to to do anything decent for the Socceroos hurts the brand that is the AL. If 10 players from the AL tomorrow went to the PL and did well in the league it would be the best marketing for the AL becuz people would be like 'maybe' this league is better then we give it credit for. At the same time now that the AL development is toilet it reaffirms the notion that the league is shit

....i could go on but you get the point 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

A sure sign of commercial realism, imho

In a resort somewhere

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Davstar - 30 Sep 2020 7:03 PM
libelous - 30 Sep 2020 3:42 PM

You either got good players or you dont - we currently dont thus interest is at an all time low. 

I dont follow athletics and i dont care about Jamaica but i know who Usain Bolt is, becuz the athlete is a 'brand'.
Ive never watched a game of golf but i know who 'tiger woods' is etc

Sport on a professional level is a business and clubs/players/leagues are brands. 

Thus it is hard to market Australian football when we are rubbish. During 2006 golden Era Socceroos where on Weet Bix, Optus ads etc they were everywhere. Becuz when a fan typed in Kewell/Viduka/Cahill etc and saw the player scoring in the PL you where like this guy is class. Becuz the EPL itself is a 'massive brand' even if you dont like football you know that the PL is one of the best if not the best best league in the world u know Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world - thus when you see Australians doing well in the PL it turns those players into a 'brand' themselves. 
It is why everyone was a lil disappointed Mooy has gone to the CSL when he could of kept playing in the PL

The easiest way to put it is 
If the EPL (or European football) is Nike. The AL are home brand runners but they are trying to charge Nike prices, they dont look as nice, they arent as flash so why buy them? The Brands within Australian football right now are rubbish bar the clubs are seen as rubbish becuz they are held back by a salary cap in a league with a joke of a structure, the socceroos are seen as rubbish becuz they lack star power. Even people who arent major EPL fans would say to me ill watch Brighton to see Mooy and Ryan play (last season)  

It is cut and dry in sport - need to realise we cant complete with 'top' leagues for quality but we can produce quality to play in those top leagues which overall lifts the brand that is the AL and Australian football. At the same time seeing AL players struggle to make it in Europe and fail to to do anything decent for the Socceroos hurts the brand that is the AL. If 10 players from the AL tomorrow went to the PL and did well in the league it would be the best marketing for the AL becuz people would be like 'maybe' this league is better then we give it credit for. At the same time now that the AL development is toilet it reaffirms the notion that the league is shit

....i could go on but you get the point 

A bit unfair to use the Socceroos 2006 as an example of what the norm must be. It was the first time the Socceroos qualified in 32 years, hype and interest had never been higher. The Uruguay game has never been matched emotionally or otherwise in the game’s history. All reflected in the media and mainstream.

In a resort somewhere

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

paulc - 1 Oct 2020 7:39 AM

A bit unfair to use the Socceroos 2006 as an example of what the norm must be. It was the first time the Socceroos qualified in 32 years, hype and interest had never been higher. The Uruguay game has never been matched emotionally or otherwise in the game’s history. All reflected in the media and mainstream.

Yes, there's a fair bit of truth in what you are saying.
Probably the next time it gets replicated is if we ever go one step further, say, into the quarter finals of a WC (which would represent a massive achievement).

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Barca4Life - 27 Sep 2020 5:52 PM
The game in Australia is way too fractured, people have grudges from the past and present times.

The grassroots still dont feel connected enough to the aleague and even NPL clubs.

Decisions done based on the short term interest instead of what's best for the long term interest for the sport.

Too much ego and self centred minds involved at all levels that probably dont give a stuff about the game if im really honest.

Not a view towards the young kids playing the sport in how to make their experience better in the game, all about short term prizes and sugar hits that people will forget in a heart beat.

Sport in general especially our sport is about emotional connection and not being forced fed to support a concept or a team, if you dont have that feeling its not there at all regardless what is served in front of you.

For me im getting more convinced the start of the new era of the aleague was going to be an exciting time for the sport but instead its just another false dawn with bad decisions made time to time that dont help the overall health of the sport, alas with different badges and maybe more money spent which have been wasted down the drain.

Instead of building the aleague as a vehicle to help the overall development of the sport in terms of more teams, more players/coaches, more fans in the game and overall more emotional connection down to the grassroots, its turned into an monopoly where its been about metrics and protecting patches that dont have a long term view for the sport.
And it doesn't help that the FFA with the Lowys did after once the 2010 World Cup bid turned to turd they made the aleague into a little money maker without giving away power or pride in this case to the owners that put the money into the clubs in the first place.
Did they really care about growing the sport after they missed out for 2010?

In my opinion I think the FFA who are responsible for developing the game in Australia in the last 15 years had failed in their task in improving the game and instead have created a bigger divide, lets hope for a better era with the 'football centric' FFA board that includes JJ and the aleague owners now they will get their independence and can put the steering wheel in the right direction for once.

Good luck...

I just came across this and wanted to let you know Barca that I would like to buy you a beer or 3 or 7... absolutely well said.
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

paulc - 1 Oct 2020 7:39 AM

Sure but the MAJOR thing holding the Socceroos 2006 back was NO ONE believed in them people who look back now, look back warmly but at the time NO ONE believed in them they even made ads bagging, them for a laugh calling them the Soccerwhozzz?

I remember the AFL Footy show had a world cup special becuz it was more of a novelty to be there 

Even myself at the time didn't think they would do much at the world cup. The buzz around was for simply qualifying and for those lucky enough a nice holiday to Germany.

When we beat Japan that is when the whole nation started to believe this is more then just a side that can make up the numbers it is a team that represented Australia and would do it proud.

In 2010 there was a expectation that we would go on and it kept a bit of the magic alive until Kewell got a red in like 20mins against Ghana.... sadly the team was very hard done by and didnt get out of the group 

Since 2010 there have been no belief in the squad mostly bcuz the team has BEEN RUBBISH in fairness 2014 they had really hard group and 2018 we were simply terrible.... 

2022 will be worse if not the same as 2018 becuz the team is still rubbish the lack of quality all over the park has not been addressed thus no one cares about a team that is relatively hopeless....thus the Socceroos are not the 'brand' they once where and with it football it not the marketable sport it should be...

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

It would be great for the a league to even become a. Farmers league

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

Arnold coaching the national team was the wrong choice and then to also give him the Olyroos was just plain dumb 
The style of play we now produce in these two teams is horrendous add to that Arnies habit of playing his favourite lads and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

MacGowan of WA may not open border till April 2021. On talkback this morning. Glory in a bubble again?
Davstar
Davstar
World Class

notarobot - 8 Oct 2020 8:07 AM
Arnold coaching the national team was the wrong choice and then to also give him the Olyroos was just plain dumb 
The style of play we now produce in these two teams is horrendous add to that Arnies habit of playing his favourite lads and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Literally everyone who watches football that doesnt support SFC agree with this...

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro

Not as if Arnold got the olyroos qualified for the Olympics or anything. And not as if Socceroos are top of the WCQ group right now. Who would u hav as coach instead that could do better??
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro

Davstar - 8 Oct 2020 9:22 AM

Literally everyone who watches football that doesnt support SFC agree with this...

I don’t agree & have never supported Sydney FC 🤔
notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)Rising Star (786 reputation)

Balin Trev - 8 Oct 2020 9:43 AM

Not as if Arnold got the olyroos qualified for the Olympics or anything. And not as if Socceroos are top of the WCQ group right now. Who would u hav as coach instead that could do better??

Did you watch the Olyroos play in the qualifying tournament in Thailand? 
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro

notarobot - 8 Oct 2020 10:27 AM
Balin Trev - 8 Oct 2020 9:43 AM

Did you watch the Olyroos play in the qualifying tournament in Thailand? 

Yep. They weren’t brilliant but they did enough. Who should be NT coach instead?
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Were all very good to blame - as if GA is the main prob re our Jnr results let alone the Roos.
Its the cattle period for starters, they are the ones on the pitch, no matter the standard of the coach good or bad good players perform, we lack some quality players who can lift when the dominos are down like Cahill in the past.
Sure GA isn't a worldly style coach as some prefer BUT were not in a favourable position attracting another top shelf coach like Guus or otherwise at present.

As for our Pro football, we will always experience trials and tribulations it seems.
Don't think it will die but it will crawl and crawl till one day we have a combination of like minded Football who can bring the game together.
It cannot work with a separate top tier comp and the layers below not synergised or at least willing to work together.

Love Football

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star

Balin Trev - 8 Oct 2020 10:46 AM
notarobot - 8 Oct 2020 10:27 AM

Yep. They weren’t brilliant but they did enough. Who should be NT coach instead?

Arnold doing 2 national teams is farcical tbh , the fact is he put his hand up for both roles , at one stage last year the senior squad were playing qualifiers and the Olyroos were playing a 3 game series v NZ both at the same time . 
So Arnie goes with senior team as he should and let’ GVE look after the 23s , who went on to preform shithouse against the Kiwis .

Davstar
Davstar
World Class

LFC. - 8 Oct 2020 10:57 AM

Its the cattle period for starters, they are the ones on the pitch, no matter the standard of the coach good or bad good players perform, we lack some quality players who can lift when the dominos are down like Cahill in the past.

Though i agree our current squad is junk 

GA was a manager in the AL for ~7 years and had said on multiple occasions 'the AL isnt a development league'  and it isnt the AL responsibility to produce talent for the national team 

If he lacks cattle it is becuz he failed to give them grass to graze....  

If he cant do the job with the players he has now he shouldnt be in charge 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Davstar
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

I hear your points Davstar but like any of us under employment your directive is what your employer wants first up.
In his position coaching the AL you and I would have to deliver the same directive, win, IF there were players who could deliver he'd use them like Abini for eg.
Ange had imports, Muscat etcetc - results count not development.
AL Clubs for how long didn't have Jnr set ups, an exception 1 or 2 had long before the rest following on.
Thats our Franchise comp not lay blame on the coachs to me, people have issues with GA due to his foot n mouth decease imo.
What else would he or anyone else do ? go against the employers directive, no.
Its on the ol FFA where were at more than anything else to me.

Love Football

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search