Official South Melbourne FC thread

Official South Melbourne FC thread

Author
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Apr 2021 1:58 PM
southmelb - 1 Apr 2021 1:02 PM

Not convinced about the "Eggs on Toast". 3 x wins on the trot is nothing to sneeze at I suppose but they dont seem to have a lot of creative cattle apart from their new Asian winger. Agree about Avondale though, they are fighting fit again this year... Lets hope they slump a little in form over the next 4-5 rounds because there is nothing worse than standing in the elements, no seat, no shelter, not even a tree to protect you from the wind and rain (Im not sitting in that Bunnings gazebo they have hired for the season it looks dodgy as) and watching them, wave after wave, attack our goals..... 

We havent beaten Avondale for 4-5 years i reckon.

Thunder havent beaten us since 2013
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Apr 2021 2:02 PM
PIFA - 1 Apr 2021 1:23 PM

Book your flights bud, I have a feeling the real Melbourne derby is going to be a humdinger this year :) 
Fri 7th May, 7.30pm - Knights Stadium 

Trying to get back home abroad atm, but if I'm still in Aus closer to that date, I might have to head up for it. If I book a flight around that time to head abroad, I could always do a 2-day stop in Melbourne, go to the game, and then head home :D

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

PIFA - 1 Apr 2021 8:13 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Apr 2021 2:02 PM

Trying to get back home abroad atm, but if I'm still in Aus closer to that date, I might have to head up for it. If I book a flight around that time to head abroad, I could always do a 2-day stop in Melbourne, go to the game, and then head home :D

Loser buys the scotches in the social club after the game 🥃
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Thanks to the guys at Hoppers Crossing SC (hosting Werribee city for FFA cup game) beautiful  little ground and clubrooms.. the weather was hot, the beers cold and we progress in the cup... 17 year old Yianni Panakos, been at the club for a decade in juniors, scoring on debut.... well done Yiannara........ Bates looked lively and got a brace.. Henry's goal was good as was Freddie's... glad to have so much depth for once, and youth getting a real go in meaningful games...
https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc/status/1378222896997228544

Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Time to move this thread. Look at the traffic. Put it in the back in the day no one cares anymore we’ve moved on aleague is the league section. Cheers. 
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Coverdale - 4 Apr 2021 2:36 AM
Time to move this thread. Look at the traffic. Put it in the back in the day no one cares anymore we’ve moved on aleague is the league section. Cheers. 

Why didn’t you just write ‘Kick a Vic i say’ like you did in ‘Sydney to host WWcup final’ thread?! 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Coverdale - 4 Apr 2021 2:36 AM

Is it taking attention away from the thousands of comments on the other threads? I agree no one cares any more, Aleague crowds are atrocious this year.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc/status/1378993284077346821
https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc/status/1378903130599956480
No wonder we are giving youth players a run in the firsts, they start banging them in against the Aleague academies from quite young down here.... good lads, and lasses.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc/status/1380487500687286274
1 nil, to the Hellas boys, 1 nil to the Hellas boys🎶🎵
Shaky moments in the last 15 but otherwise stellar defensive effort once again.  Lirim as a #6 seems to be a master-stroke (apologies for Senor Quintas for the doubt) and Clarky, what a goalkeeper we have... 7 games and 4 clean sheets.... Gerrie and Harrison dual mom for me...  Bates did well also. Its nice to spend a few weeks on top of the table...... 
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 9 Apr 2021 11:28 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc/status/1380487500687286274
1 nil, to the Hellas boys, 1 nil to the Hellas boys🎶🎵
Shaky moments in the last 15 but otherwise stellar defensive effort once again.  Lirim as a #6 seems to be a master-stroke (apologies for Senor Quintas for the doubt) and Clarky, what a goalkeeper we have... 7 games and 4 clean sheets.... Gerrie and Harrison dual mom for me...  Bates did well also. Its nice to spend a few weeks on top of the table...... 

Keeper, back 4 and Lirim screening them would have to be the best defensive setup in the league. Thought the front half worked well together in the 1st half until we starting falling deeper and deeper in the 2nd. Pretty much everyone on the park I’d rate solid to very good. Gerrie is starting to get into dangerous positions more often now and looks threatening every time he runs with it, Bates gives our attack extra pace, all in all looked like a well balanced starting 11.

Wallen breaking his arm is a shame, he will be a big loss.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

https://twitter.com/smfc/status/1381456949326217219
FFS I know the franchises love a derby for the metrics but drawing Croatia every year in the early rounds of the cup, EVERY YEAR, is getting a little tedious now.
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Apr 2021 4:41 PM
https://twitter.com/smfc/status/1381456949326217219
FFS I know the franchises love a derby for the metrics but drawing Croatia every year in the early rounds of the cup, EVERY YEAR, is getting a little tedious now.

100% agree. It takes away the special-ness of the derby too, and I guess it's also to make sure that one of us doesn't progress any further in the cup.

southmelb
southmelb
World Class

PIFA - 12 Apr 2021 5:09 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Apr 2021 4:41 PM

100% agree. It takes away the special-ness of the derby too, and I guess it's also to make sure that one of us doesn't progress any further in the cup.

It’s also a round 5 match, so it’s very likely the winner of this match still won’t qualify as you need to win another 2 matches on top of it, Avondale, bentleigh, Oakleigh, gully etc will still be in the draw so a lot needs to go right from here on to make it. It doesn’t even have winner takes all stakes attached to it like the clash 2 years ago.

All in all a bit of a fizzer, wouldn’t have minded drawing Preston for a bit of variety.

Edited
3 Years Ago by southmelb
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 12 Apr 2021 6:47 PM
PIFA - 12 Apr 2021 5:09 PM

It’s also a round 5 match, so it’s very likely the winner of this match still won’t qualify as you need to win another 2 matches on top of it, Avondale, bentleigh, Oakleigh, gully etc will still be in the draw so a lot needs to go right from here on to make it. It doesn’t even have winner takes all stakes attached to it like the clash 2 years ago.

All in all a bit of a fizzer, wouldn’t have minded drawing Preston for a bit of variety.

Yeah agree with both, its also within 2-3 weeks of the regular season clash..... ffs. I don't know PIFA if I was a little bit more cynical I would agree its almost as if someone doesn't want both of us to go on a cup run 🤣🤣
Preston would be nuts, does vicpol still have mounted riot police? 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

I missed this one due to family commitments but a very pretty team goal
https://mobile.twitter.com/Tato_quintas/status/1383730571679920129.
Lads are flying and WNPL are 2/2 also....  shapping up to be a good year... 
We've gotta get over the Knighst in the Cup first which is a huge struggle but I have been praying for MV the following round for a couple of years now.. I m it happens this year it will be a slaughter..........
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 18 Apr 2021 9:52 PM
I missed this one due to family commitments but a very pretty team goal
https://mobile.twitter.com/Tato_quintas/status/1383730571679920129.
Lads are flying and WNPL are 2/2 also....  shapping up to be a good year... 
We've gotta get over the Knighst in the Cup first which is a huge struggle but I have been praying for MV the following round for a couple of years now.. I m it happens this year it will be a slaughter..........

No one fucking watched it mate

Beaten by Eldar

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Eldar - 18 Apr 2021 10:31 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 18 Apr 2021 9:52 PM

No one fucking watched it mate

Ah so we are like an Aleague franchise.... finaly 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 18 Apr 2021 10:35 PM
Eldar - 18 Apr 2021 10:31 PM

Ah so we are like an Aleague franchise.... finaly 

Yes now you just need to get someone to pay $35 million a year to broadcast your games and you will be there.

Beaten by Eldar

southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Looking solid, next month or so will be season defining.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Eldar - 18 Apr 2021 10:57 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 18 Apr 2021 10:35 PM

Yes now you just need to get someone to pay $35 million a year to broadcast your games and you will be there.

Same could be said about the Aleague... lets see what comes out in the wash shall we?
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 18 Apr 2021 11:01 PM
Looking solid, next month or so will be season defining.

Knights, Bentleigh and Avondale still to go this first half of the season but agreed, looking solid. Sawyer and Gerrie played very well for me. Looks like our front third is a little more cohesive these last few games... 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Game of two halves last night at Dandy City...... Busy 2 weeks ahead with  cup game  mid week so it made sense to bench Gerrie and Marcus against the bottom of the table side but oh boy did  City come out to play... Blew us of the park the first 25 minutes or so... and then took their chance late in the half to score...
Second half was a bit of a seige by South but MOM must go to their keeper Keranovic, pulled of 4 or 5 remarkable saves ....He'll be rewatching the you tube highlights today I reckon, well done.
Decent crowd, my first time at their ground and nice people, nice food, had a few beers, bit of banter with the locals who reckon we are too precious with our fancy stadium, overall a point away is better than nothing, bright side is still on top, haven't lost a game yet and only shipped 4 in 10 games this year.....Hume at home on Saturday night, after they just thumped 6 in tonight against Dinamo. 

southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2021 10:49 PM
Game of two halves last night at Dandy City...... Busy 2 weeks ahead with  cup game  mid week so it made sense to bench Gerrie and Marcus against the bottom of the table side but oh boy did  City come out to play... Blew us of the park the first 25 minutes or so... and then took their chance late in the half to score...
Second half was a bit of a seige by South but MOM must go to their keeper Keranovic, pulled of 4 or 5 remarkable saves ....He'll be rewatching the you tube highlights today I reckon, well done.
Decent crowd, my first time at their ground and nice people, nice food, had a few beers, bit of banter with the locals who reckon we are too precious with our fancy stadium, overall a point away is better than nothing, bright side is still on top, haven't lost a game yet and only shipped 4 in 10 games this year.....Hume at home on Saturday night, after they just thumped 6 in tonight against Dinamo. 

With a full week of rest before the Hume game he should have gone in with our best lineup, we were a different team when the subs came on at half time. Even if you have Gerrie and Schroen on bench why not give a start to the pacey Bates? Reckon our starting 11 was a bit unbalanced imo, corrected itself in the 2nd half but despite the City keeper being MOM we so easily could have lost it as well.

it gets very difficult from here, Hume, Knights twice, Avondale, Bentleigh and then we turn for round 2 against heidelberg.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 25 Apr 2021 7:01 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 24 Apr 2021 10:49 PM

With a full week of rest before the Hume game he should have gone in with our best lineup, we were a different team when the subs came on at half time. Even if you have Gerrie and Schroen on bench why not give a start to the pacey Bates? Reckon our starting 11 was a bit unbalanced imo, corrected itself in the 2nd half but despite the City keeper being MOM we so easily could have lost it as well.

it gets very difficult from here, Hume, Knights twice, Avondale, Bentleigh and then we turn for round 2 against heidelberg.

One game at a time..I was sceptical of Esteban,  even 3,4 weeks ago but have to admit that he at least is sticking to his guns... the 11 changes a little bit every week but he keeps the spine and structure in the back... Friday was the shakiest we have been in the back for a while and even then what's a Hellas backing without at least one or two goal line miracle clearances a game... remember Mehmet Durakovic? He did one almost every week :)
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

10 rounds in and Hellas boys still #1, and unbeaten....
Welcome to the club Josh Baressi scored at home on debut and got man of the match and the Tony Clarke Blue Ribbon award... 
To those who don't know, Tony was a Hellas fan and police officer ( and not Greek but don't tell Paulie he may faint)  who lost his life in the line of duty, every year his family attends a memorial gala day in his honour with a highlight being the old Socceroos vs the Police force team...
https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc/status/1388462228152619009

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

FFS, one game I couldn't  get to and we score a 95th minute equaliser, after Knights hit the woodwork .... and it goes to penalties .... and we subbed on every attack minded player we had..... ffs thanks South social media guys for the updates but FFA should have streamed this one..
Bad luck to Knights, coping a 95th minute penalty to us would have absolutely sucked..
At least I can go to Somers St on Friday with a spring in my step now.... OG Melbourne derby #2 for the year.
https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc

southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Monoethnic Social Club - 4 May 2021 11:08 PM
FFS, one game I couldn't  get to and we score a 95th minute equaliser, after Knights hit the woodwork .... and it goes to penalties .... and we subbed on every attack minded player we had..... ffs thanks South social media guys for the updates but FFA should have streamed this one..
Bad luck to Knights, coping a 95th minute penalty to us would have absolutely sucked..
At least I can go to Somers St on Friday with a spring in my step now.... OG Melbourne derby #2 for the year.
https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc

South pretty much dominated the entire match just absolutely putrid in front of goals and the final ball. Not surprisingly Knights with their 1st corner of the match score. Then they were time wasting from about the 60th minute onwards.

You have to see the post knights had at the end to believe it, South keeper had the ball at his feet, knights player approached him and took the ball off him..an open goal in front of him all he had to do was slide it into the net, instead he took a few touches a couple of defenders got back and he slammed the shot into the post, should have completed the 0-2 smash and grab, from the resulting goal kick South take it up the field and win a penalty...incredible stuff.

South should have scored 3-4 in extra time, 2 cleared off the line, had no business going to penalties, lucky we came through.

Starting Gerrie, Hore and Baressi on bench almost backfired.

Edited
3 Years Ago by southmelb
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 4 May 2021 11:17 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 4 May 2021 11:08 PM

South pretty much dominated the entire match just absolutely putrid in front of goals and the final ball. Not surprisingly Knights with their 1st corner of the match score. Then they were time wasting from about the 60th minute onwards.

You have to see the post knights had at the end to believe it, South keeper had the ball at his feet, knights player approached him and took the ball off him..an open goal in front of him all he had to do was slide it into the net, instead he took a few touches a couple of defenders got back and he slammed the shot into the post, should have completed the 0-2 smash and grab, from the resulting goal kick South take it up the field and win a penalty...incredible stuff.

South should have scored 3-4 in extra time, 2 cleared off the line, had no business going to penalties, lucky we came through.

Starting Gerrie, Hore and Baressi on bench almost backfired.

Holy shit........ thanks dude, was checking in with my cousin every few minutes and his comments where.... "f@cken  undescribable error from Knights ... just wait for the highlights"  Big Marko smashing in two penalties ... love the kid.... Friday night the Cros are gonna come out ALL guns blazing I reckon, should be a very spicy match.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Monoethnic Social Club - 4 May 2021 11:33 PM
southmelb - 4 May 2021 11:17 PM

Holy shit........ thanks dude, was checking in with my cousin every few minutes and his comments where.... "f@cken  undescribable error from Knights ... just wait for the highlights"  Big Marko smashing in two penalties ... love the kid.... Friday night the Cros are gonna come out ALL guns blazing I reckon, should be a very spicy match.

A lot of the match was played in Souths attacking end, absolutely no way Knights will play so timid and defensively on Friday night, they were pretty terrible tonight, by extra time it was like South had more players on the field, just attack after attack. 

It was almost surreal at the end to see a pretty comfortable penalty shoot out win.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 4 May 2021 11:44 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 4 May 2021 11:33 PM

A lot of the match was played in Souths attacking end, absolutely no way Knights will play so timid and defensively on Friday night, they were pretty terrible tonight, by extra time it was like South had more players on the field, just attack after attack. 

It was almost surreal at the end to see a pretty comfortable penalty shoot out win.

Was watching old NSL replays on YouTube tonight (looking frantically for a stream of the match)  and realised last time we equalised in the dying minutes of regular time, only to go on and win on penalties was 91 GF..... I can still remember the Croatia fans chanting "we are the champions"  just before Palatsidis scored...... no wonder our games are so heated..... Anyway, highlights are up, off to watch them on  the big screen 😀
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i-epLQFIFxk

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search