Official South Melbourne FC thread

Official South Melbourne FC thread

Author
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
if  I  may  please   let  me  just  say  I  wish  your  Grand  old  club  all  the  best  for  this   season.  I  hope  to  see  your  club  in  the  A League  soon.  I  will be  following   with  interest !
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 13 Mar 2021 11:21 PM
PIFA - 13 Mar 2021 8:46 AM

Hes incredibly biased but he IS right... check it out, and at least one of these is a penalty too....
https://mobile.twitter.com/smfcmike/status/1370555142144094208
Dont know what to think of how we are playing to be honest, I think this 12 month lack of live soccer has numbed me a bit and just going 3 games without a loss is enough for now. SM is correct though, there will be hell to pay if/when we get stretched out of our fancy smancy 5-2-3 and start shipping goals.. Its top 4 this year or outskis for Esteban.

I'm not 100% certain on the Dekker one tbh. The picture shows that he arms in a position where they might hit the ball, but it doesn't actually show them hitting the ball. In that sense: I'd prefer the advantage is given to the attacker anyway, as it's typically something that evens itself up over the course of the season. The Daniel Clark one was outside the box for me, but it was the most obvious of all of them, and I was certain that it should've been a whistle in Souths favour. The only reason I could see the decision not being awarded is due to the way that the contact was exaggerated, but regardless: a foul is a foul.

Regarding Sawyer, I think he's making things difficult for himself. Once a referee sees you go down softly a few times, regardless of the contact in future incidents: he's probably going to go against you. He's already been given the 'element of doubt' to be unsure of the contact. I'm not saying I agree with the decisions that the referee made, but I can see how he came to the decision at the same time.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

PIFA - 14 Mar 2021 5:00 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 13 Mar 2021 11:21 PM

I'm not 100% certain on the Dekker one tbh. The picture shows that he arms in a position where they might hit the ball, but it doesn't actually show them hitting the ball. In that sense: I'd prefer the advantage is given to the attacker anyway, as it's typically something that evens itself up over the course of the season. The Daniel Clark one was outside the box for me, but it was the most obvious of all of them, and I was certain that it should've been a whistle in Souths favour. The only reason I could see the decision not being awarded is due to the way that the contact was exaggerated, but regardless: a foul is a foul.

Regarding Sawyer, I think he's making things difficult for himself. Once a referee sees you go down softly a few times, regardless of the contact in future incidents: he's probably going to go against you. He's already been given the 'element of doubt' to be unsure of the contact. I'm not saying I agree with the decisions that the referee made, but I can see how he came to the decision at the same time.

Oh, dont get me wrong, yeah thats the rub of the green sometimes, and calls sometimes don't go your way, no harm no foul, we get our share of lucky whistles so it all evens out... In real time the Dekker one did seem to "hang" on his arm and the linos face seemed to tell a bit of a story but  my view was from behind so hard to tell. .... just saw the score for the Knughts gane.., what happened?

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Remote Control - 14 Mar 2021 2:02 PM
if  I  may  please   let  me  just  say  I  wish  your  Grand  old  club  all  the  best  for  this   season.  I  hope  to  see  your  club  in  the  A League  soon.  I  will be  following   with  interest !

Cheers Paulie, your always welcome back.  At least by me, others may not be so forgiving.
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 14 Mar 2021 10:52 PM
PIFA - 14 Mar 2021 5:00 PM

Oh, dont get me wrong, yeah thats the rub of the green sometimes, and calls sometimes don't go your way, no harm no foul, we get our share of lucky whistles so it all evens out... In real time the Dekker one did seem to "hang" on his arm and the linos face seemed to tell a bit of a story but  my view was from behind so hard to tell. .... just saw the score for the Knughts gane.., what happened?

It appears that Dinamo are our bogey team! It was hard to watch the action at time [the stream was a disgrace] as the cameraman probably missed at least 30-40% of the game, but their first was quite spectacular tbh. The second one: bit sketchy. Linesman flagged to say that Manos had exited the 18-yard box with the ball before kicking/throwing [can't remember which it was], and Dinamo scored from the resulting free-kick. Back to the drawing board a bit, as we looked a little bit flat, but no reason to hit the panic button either. Personally hoping that Greg Blake doesn't get another Knights game, and if he does: I'll be watching it on mute! :laugh:

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 15 Mar 2021 8:04 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 14 Mar 2021 10:52 PM

It appears that Dinamo are our bogey team! It was hard to watch the action at time [the stream was a disgrace] as the cameraman probably missed at least 30-40% of the game, but their first was quite spectacular tbh. The second one: bit sketchy. Linesman flagged to say that Manos had exited the 18-yard box with the ball before kicking/throwing [can't remember which it was], and Dinamo scored from the resulting free-kick. Back to the drawing board a bit, as we looked a little bit flat, but no reason to hit the panic button either. Personally hoping that Greg Blake doesn't get another Knights game, and if he does: I'll be watching it on mute! :laugh:

Yeah Blakey hasn't aged well has he? hahahahha I remember back in the NSL days when we was quite funny but now he just sounds confused all the time. lol St Albans has terrible sight lines for the camera, as do Kingston and Pasco Vale among others. Crowds have been quite decent over the 3 rounds though. We both comfortably beat WU game on the weekend attendance wise.. Not every NPL club can be a Knights or Hellas I suppose :)
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Holy shit whats with this spamming shit???? Is this sone sort of FFA viral media campaign?
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

What a result we had last night :D would never in a million years have achieved as much as we have under Bebic with Munro in charge, and this year is just so refreshing and enjoyable due to the way we're playing. Last night alone was a great indicator of how far we've come under Bebic, and I'll enjoy it while it lasts. The season is far from over, but I'm now feeling quite hopeful of finals football, though I think there'll be a few clubs making some big moves when the transfer window re-opens.

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

PIFA - 20 Mar 2021 6:08 PM
What a result we had last night :D would never in a million years have achieved as much as we have under Bebic with Munro in charge, and this year is just so refreshing and enjoyable due to the way we're playing. Last night alone was a great indicator of how far we've come under Bebic, and I'll enjoy it while it lasts. The season is far from over, but I'm now feeling quite hopeful of finals football, though I think there'll be a few clubs making some big moves when the transfer window re-opens.

Dandenong City are almost certainly gonna raid the A league rejects to survive.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 20 Mar 2021 8:43 PM

Dandenong City are almost certainly gonna raid the A league rejects to survive.

Again???? 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Nice result for the Knights... Mo's last goal was a peach...  carbon copy of Gerries goal against the Bergers a couple of years ago...
South, can't score a goal like that now to save our lives... poor result against Altona on Saturday and I think Esteban will be on Job Seeker.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 22 Mar 2021 9:36 AM
southmelb - 20 Mar 2021 8:43 PM

Again???? 

100% i reckon. If Esteban doesnt beat either Altona or Thunder he should be out the door.

The fact he didnt throw on an attacker after Ports red shows how gutless he is. Probably thinks hes good cos he is the only undefeated coach.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 22 Mar 2021 2:23 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 22 Mar 2021 9:36 AM

100% i reckon. If Esteban doesnt beat either Altona or Thunder he should be out the door.

The fact he didnt throw on an attacker after Ports red shows how gutless he is. Probably thinks hes good cos he is the only undefeated coach.

I counted him screaming out "Gerrie" and "Danny" at least 45 times each just in the second half, just that their names. no instruction nothing else.... I was behind the coaches box...  The players have no farkin idea what he wants them to do.. Danny Clarke came all the way over to the touch line (during the whole red card stoppage) from right wing to get instructions from the coach....  what a circus.
BTW I hear that Markosvki is gonskis from Altona ... could be the wrong time to be facing them on Saturday :(
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

Daniel Clark is looking unreal this season, probably the player I've been most impressed by at South Melbourne if I'm honest. Thunder look dreadful, and Altona aren't as bad as the table suggests. They've gone out and built a good side, but they forgot to go out and get the most important thing: a good striker. There's a lot of hype for Sette out there for some reason, but I just can't see it tbh: he's a dud imo. We've got Avondale this weekend, and boy oh boy: I want to beat them. They're the most dislikeable team in the league atm for me, due to their attitude/arrogance every week, and I'd love to see us wipe that smug look off their faces!

Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

PIFA - 22 Mar 2021 6:16 PM
Daniel Clark is looking unreal this season, probably the player I've been most impressed by at South Melbourne if I'm honest. Thunder look dreadful, and Altona aren't as bad as the table suggests. They've gone out and built a good side, but they forgot to go out and get the most important thing: a good striker. There's a lot of hype for Sette out there for some reason, but I just can't see it tbh: he's a dud imo. We've got Avondale this weekend, and boy oh boy: I want to beat them. They're the most dislikeable team in the league atm for me, due to their attitude/arrogance every week, and I'd love to see us wipe that smug look off their faces!

Daniel Clark is a super classy player, absolutely tore the Queensland NPL apart when he went over there, and looks as though thats given him some extra confidence.

As for Altona, they haven't actually been that bad, I think they've just got one missing piece as you say, a striker. Not sure if Jon McShane has been playing or not, but not a real big fan of his anyhow. Nic Sette, had a lot of hype around him during his time at Victory, but I've seen nothing that gives those impressions, been more impressed with Stefan Ristic when he's played. I think if they get rid of Markovski they are worse off. 

Avondale/Knights will be a cracker game. Both teams coming off big wins, Been super impressed with how much better this team looks under Bebic. And that front three of Albano, Mikulic and Sumaoro is very exciting.
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

One of the rumours floating around is that it could be Ernie Merrick or Mehmet Durakovic to take charge at Altona

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 22 Mar 2021 8:46 PM
One of the rumours floating around is that it could be Ernie Merrick or Mehmet Durakovic to take charge at Altona

I heard Ernie has got the gig.... tbc I guess.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Ds98 - 22 Mar 2021 6:47 PM
PIFA - 22 Mar 2021 6:16 PM

Daniel Clark is a super classy player, absolutely tore the Queensland NPL apart when he went over there, and looks as though thats given him some extra confidence.

As for Altona, they haven't actually been that bad, I think they've just got one missing piece as you say, a striker. Not sure if Jon McShane has been playing or not, but not a real big fan of his anyhow. Nic Sette, had a lot of hype around him during his time at Victory, but I've seen nothing that gives those impressions, been more impressed with Stefan Ristic when he's played. I think if they get rid of Markovski they are worse off. 

Avondale/Knights will be a cracker game. Both teams coming off big wins, Been super impressed with how much better this team looks under Bebic. And that front three of Albano, Mikulic and Sumaoro is very exciting.

Agreed on Clarky, having a cracker of a season but would benefit from a speedy full back like Djiba (youth player) on the right to help with defensive coverage and overlap... Esteban is scratching his head trying to fit in 14 CB in to the line-up I think ... what a dud season we will have...... again!!!!
Knights v Avondale is definitely the match of the round coming up ... very juicy encounter. I can't believe I ever wanted Croatia to win a game as much as now :).....  It is going to be an old fashioned shootout, plenty of goals. Valentini's goal last weekend was divine... goal of the season contender I reckon...
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

South with a punishing 4-1 away win at Altona.

knights and South will occupy the top 2 spots on the ladder at the end of this round for the first time since the early to mid 90s most likely.
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

southmelb - 27 Mar 2021 11:33 PM
South with a punishing 4-1 away win at Altona.

knights and South will occupy the top 2 spots on the ladder at the end of this round for the first time since the early to mid 90s most likely.

I missed our equalizer due to the stream being ended for some unknown reason, but was delighted to see the highlight today. Not impressed by Avondale at all, and they benefited from a lot of 'home team' calls by the officials. Countless offsides not called offside, and so on. It was pretty terrible tbh, but at the same time: we weren't at our best either.

I did manage to catch the majority of your game though, bar the first 20-minutes which weren't streamed on Facebook or YouTube initially it seemed! Seems like NPL Victoria was just having issues with the streams on a whole yesterday. From the 70-minutes that I did manage to see: you looked quite good. However, the penalty looked extremely soft [and questionable] and the yellow card for Wallen could [and probably should] have been a red card. Bar those 2 moments, you were all over them, and you didn't look troubled at all. Jankovic has taken his game to another level this season, and for me: he's your best signing in recent years. I was also impressed with Daniel Clark, yet again!

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 28 Mar 2021 3:45 PM
southmelb - 27 Mar 2021 11:33 PM

I missed our equalizer due to the stream being ended for some unknown reason, but was delighted to see the highlight today. Not impressed by Avondale at all, and they benefited from a lot of 'home team' calls by the officials. Countless offsides not called offside, and so on. It was pretty terrible tbh, but at the same time: we weren't at our best either.

I did manage to catch the majority of your game though, bar the first 20-minutes which weren't streamed on Facebook or YouTube initially it seemed! Seems like NPL Victoria was just having issues with the streams on a whole yesterday. From the 70-minutes that I did manage to see: you looked quite good. However, the penalty looked extremely soft [and questionable] and the yellow card for Wallen could [and probably should] have been a red card. Bar those 2 moments, you were all over them, and you didn't look troubled at all. Jankovic has taken his game to another level this season, and for me: he's your best signing in recent years. I was also impressed with Daniel Clark, yet again!

Agreed on all points... Jankovic had the game of his life, was involved in all 4 goals and yes agreed the penalty was a little soft but for Jankovic to go down (he is a strapping lad) the ref must have seen something in it.. Overall happy with a 5 game unbeaten streak and a positive goal difference... Mid week against Gully will be the real indicator for me... 
Also agree about Avondale, I was expecting more from them to be honest.... Knights are really looking the part this year and the fact we are 1 and 2 is exciting....
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

Monoethnic Social Club - 29 Mar 2021 9:43 AM
PIFA - 28 Mar 2021 3:45 PM

Agreed on all points... Jankovic had the game of his life, was involved in all 4 goals and yes agreed the penalty was a little soft but for Jankovic to go down (he is a strapping lad) the ref must have seen something in it.. Overall happy with a 5 game unbeaten streak and a positive goal difference... Mid week against Gully will be the real indicator for me... 
Also agree about Avondale, I was expecting more from them to be honest.... Knights are really looking the part this year and the fact we are 1 and 2 is exciting....

How about a 10-year contract extension for your coach after a 4-1 win!? ;)

We were really quiet imo, but a positive was that we dug ourselves out of a hole late on with the Mikulic goal. He's been impressive this season, and the year off seems to have helped him bulk up a bit and become a bit more dynamic. Zwetsloot and Brice are a great pairing at the back too, we just seem to have quality in a number of areas for the first time in a long time. If we could give big Ljubo Milicevic a call for one final swansong season, that would have me quite giddy :laugh:

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 29 Mar 2021 7:20 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 29 Mar 2021 9:43 AM

How about a 10-year contract extension for your coach after a 4-1 win!? ;)

We were really quiet imo, but a positive was that we dug ourselves out of a hole late on with the Mikulic goal. He's been impressive this season, and the year off seems to have helped him bulk up a bit and become a bit more dynamic. Zwetsloot and Brice are a great pairing at the back too, we just seem to have quality in a number of areas for the first time in a long time. If we could give big Ljubo Milicevic a call for one final swansong season, that would have me quite giddy :laugh:

Esteban has bought himself a 10 GAME extension lol... Still not convinced about the attacking buildup and the fact that our CB had to get a penalty, an assist and score two goals himself (Marko take a bow son, what a game!!!!) should point to the fact we are not transitioning all that well to the front 3rd. I was really pleased to see him play Lirim "Virgil" Elmazi as a sort of sweeper libero in front of the two half backs. Still think Adams is out of place at right full back but defensively I think we are quite solid otherwise... Ill take Ljubo at Lakeside too.. lol Where is he these days? Last I remember seeing him on the park was when he was at Dandy City and we had that amazing 4 goals in 12 mins come from behind win in the cup in '17.... Wow, still watch that game and it is up there with one of my best ever live game experiences..... 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCohXtYPZa8

PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

Monoethnic Social Club - 29 Mar 2021 9:08 PM
PIFA - 29 Mar 2021 7:20 PM

Esteban has bought himself a 10 GAME extension lol... Still not convinced about the attacking buildup and the fact that our CB had to get a penalty, an assist and score two goals himself (Marko take a bow son, what a game!!!!) should point to the fact we are not transitioning all that well to the front 3rd. I was really pleased to see him play Lirim "Virgil" Elmazi as a sort of sweeper libero in front of the two half backs. Still think Adams is out of place at right full back but defensively I think we are quite solid otherwise... Ill take Ljubo at Lakeside too.. lol Where is he these days? Last I remember seeing him on the park was when he was at Dandy City and we had that amazing 4 goals in 12 mins come from behind win in the cup in '17.... Wow, still watch that game and it is up there with one of my best ever live game experiences..... 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCohXtYPZa8

He went down to Charlestown Azzuri and played half a season there before he got an injury and retired. Living in Bondi these days I think. I still maintain he's one of the best defensive players we've produced in the last 25-years [I was actually at his debut at Perth Oval!], and if he'd toed the line rather than speaking his mind: he would've been a stalwart for the Socceroos. Phenomenally gifted player, underrated by so many.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 30 Mar 2021 8:49 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 29 Mar 2021 9:08 PM

He went down to Charlestown Azzuri and played half a season there before he got an injury and retired. Living in Bondi these days I think. I still maintain he's one of the best defensive players we've produced in the last 25-years [I was actually at his debut at Perth Oval!], and if he'd toed the line rather than speaking his mind: he would've been a stalwart for the Socceroos. Phenomenally gifted player, underrated by so many.

I like that he is a little "cray cray".... Game needs a few more outspoken individuals like Ljubs... 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Good morning South fans.
6 rounds, undefeated and top of the table ... cant ask more from the boys at this stage.
We still have a serious allergy to playing through the midfield, but good to see we can grind out a win using our second stringers and plenty of bodies fighting for key positions across the park is very pleasing. Looks like we may have a half decent year after all :)
PIFA, haven't watched the Knights game, got home too late last night, but Heidelberg are nothing special this year.. seems your boys are having a few teething issues?
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Apr 2021 9:39 AM

Good morning South fans.
6 rounds, undefeated and top of the table ... cant ask more from the boys at this stage.
We still have a serious allergy to playing through the midfield, but good to see we can grind out a win using our second stringers and plenty of bodies fighting for key positions across the park is very pleasing. Looks like we may have a half decent year after all :)
PIFA, haven't watched the Knights game, got home too late last night, but Heidelberg are nothing special this year.. seems your boys are having a few teething issues?

Feel like heidelberg will be the real deal, new team but grinding out wins, will likely peak later in season.

Avondale are clearly the best team in it, can throw a blanket over the rest.
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

Good morning South fans.

Tale of two halves unfortunately. We could've and should've been 1 or 2 up by half-time, but didn't take our chances. We were punished for it in the second half when they slowly took control of the game and eventually found a winner. Once again, the stream cut out in the 80th minute, which is really baffling to me. Regardless, I wasn't too impressed by Heidelberg at all, they look very average, so I'm disappointed we weren't able to get a result.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 1 Apr 2021 1:02 PM

Feel like heidelberg will be the real deal, new team but grinding out wins, will likely peak later in season.

Avondale are clearly the best team in it, can throw a blanket over the rest.

Not convinced about the "Eggs on Toast". 3 x wins on the trot is nothing to sneeze at I suppose but they dont seem to have a lot of creative cattle apart from their new Asian winger. Agree about Avondale though, they are fighting fit again this year... Lets hope they slump a little in form over the next 4-5 rounds because there is nothing worse than standing in the elements, no seat, no shelter, not even a tree to protect you from the wind and rain (Im not sitting in that Bunnings gazebo they have hired for the season it looks dodgy as) and watching them, wave after wave, attack our goals..... 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 1 Apr 2021 1:23 PM

Tale of two halves unfortunately. We could've and should've been 1 or 2 up by half-time, but didn't take our chances. We were punished for it in the second half when they slowly took control of the game and eventually found a winner. Once again, the stream cut out in the 80th minute, which is really baffling to me. Regardless, I wasn't too impressed by Heidelberg at all, they look very average, so I'm disappointed we weren't able to get a result.

Book your flights bud, I have a feeling the real Melbourne derby is going to be a humdinger this year :) 
Fri 7th May, 7.30pm - Knights Stadium 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search