Australia in the Olympics thread

Australia in the Olympics thread

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
So we have a thread for the olyroos and matildas but thought it might be worth having one for all the other Olympic sports. I don’t usually follow other sports during the year but I’m keen to watch as many AUSSIEs compete as I can.

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Doesn't seem to be much interest this time- for obvious reasons (they should not be held in a country that doesn't what them because of covid)

There was a time when people knew the name of many Australian track and field athletes- now I don't know any of them and have no interest in them- many people I know feel the same.

The Australian media still go into ecstasies over Aussie swimmers and talk them up all the time. That's a good reason for taking no interest in them- can't stand competitive  swimming and the show off swimmers,

I'm happy to watch boxing and field hockey- pity we can only see them once every four years. As for shooting, I would rather watch grass grow. Archery- they don't even use proper bows, they use high tech contraptions that you can hold at full draw for a minute or so.

And I don't want to listen to aussie commentators screaming for aussie gold, whilst ignoring any non-aussie achievement.
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

I'm looking forward to it. Won't be the same without the crowds but in many ways I'm a simple man: put on a sport with an Aussie in it and I can cheer.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

We’re playing Japan in softball tomorrow night flick it on 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Always enjoyed the Olympics. Going to be different but hopefully the sport will prevail and it'll be something to enjoy. Early events on soon and it all kicks off very soon.

The official website only starts becoming very informative once the events actually start. By that I mean the start lists for all the heats in the swimming haven't been uploaded yet. They also don't necessarily appear in the overwhelmingly massive daily schedule until very close to the event. The filter per country was good last time but that doesn't seem available yet. It was very easy having a daily chronological list of all Australian participants.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

johnszasz - 20 Jul 2021 10:11 PM
Always enjoyed the Olympics. Going to be different but hopefully the sport will prevail and it'll be something to enjoy. Early events on soon and it all kicks off very soon.

The official website only starts becoming very informative once the events actually start. By that I mean the start lists for all the heats in the swimming haven't been uploaded yet. They also don't necessarily appear in the overwhelmingly massive daily schedule until very close to the event. The filter per country was good last time but that doesn't seem available yet. It was very easy having a daily chronological list of all Australian participants.

Aus softball about to start. 10am.

Member since 2008.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

We peaked in 2000. Funding wise, other countries are matching/exceeding us. Unless there is heavy investment again, I can't see us reaching our previous heights (not to mention the home team advantage).
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Softball team got smashed 8:1.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Brisbane 2032, great news.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Some football is on now @7plus
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Interesting is Brisbane was unopposed but they'll do well I think. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Sweden lead USA in Matildas group.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Plenty of football today! I’m even going to follow the softball 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Fuck John Coates is a cockhead. I always thought he was an arrogant arse but he's confirmed it in spades.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/australia-stunned-by-annastacia-palaszczuk-slap-down-in-tokyo/news-story/fbbfafd3d7fda64b6521dae94b005463

Absolute pig of a human being.

Member since 2008.

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 22 Jul 2021 2:27 PM
Fuck John Coates is a cockhead. I always thought he was an arrogant arse but he's confirmed it in spades.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/australia-stunned-by-annastacia-palaszczuk-slap-down-in-tokyo/news-story/fbbfafd3d7fda64b6521dae94b005463

Absolute pig of a human being.

Lol, that's a bit of a dick move. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Burztur - 21 Jul 2021 12:33 PM
We peaked in 2000. Funding wise, other countries are matching/exceeding us. Unless there is heavy investment again, I can't see us reaching our previous heights (not to mention the home team advantage).

and yet we hear this is biggest team ever.
I suppose the new sports allowed in contributed to this.

In other press I saw something on "predicters" re medals, were meant to be getting a motza of Gold, amazing where all this comes from.

Love Football

bluebird2
bluebird2
Rising Star
Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)Rising Star (798 reputation)

Channel 7 have 45 Olympic channels, there are 2 events on right now, they are only showing 1

If its going to be that kind of Olympics then hopefully somebody gets the rights for the next ones
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

bluebird2 - 23 Jul 2021 10:30 AM
Channel 7 have 45 Olympic channels, there are 2 events on right now, they are only showing 1

If its going to be that kind of Olympics then hopefully somebody gets the rights for the next ones

Let’s see how the weekend goes: football, hockey, basketball, waterpolo and volleyball 
Muz
Muz
Legend

ErogenousZone - 22 Jul 2021 9:33 PM
Munrubenmuz - 22 Jul 2021 2:27 PM

Lol, that's a bit of a dick move. 

Particularly from a prick that's been swanning around the world for decades on public money.

Member since 2008.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

LFC. - 23 Jul 2021 10:12 AM
Burztur - 21 Jul 2021 12:33 PM

and yet we hear this is biggest team ever.
I suppose the new sports allowed in contributed to this.

In other press I saw something on "predicters" re medals, were meant to be getting a motza of Gold, amazing where all this comes from.

Hopefully with the Brisbane announcement, we will get more funding and reach new heights by that stage. This time, we will still get a respectable top 10 (maybe top 5) result. 
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

enjoyed it immensely so far even without crowds, have even had the softball on
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Anyone watching the opening ceremony?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 23 Jul 2021 8:23 PM
Anyone watching the opening ceremony?

Yep.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Glad they got in Kumi Taguchi from SBS to give some cultural context to things the 7 bogans would have no clue about.

The Olympic rings made from wood from trees planted by athletes in the 1960 Tokyo games is a nice touch.

I'm sure it would have been a much bigger show if not for covid, such a shame.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

The Ukrainian outfit including a bumbag, peak Slav lol
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Those volunteers lining the athletes' entrance are working their arses off!

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Was that Jill Biden?
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

paladisious - 23 Jul 2021 11:35 PM
Was that Jill Biden?

Yes
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

paladisious - 23 Jul 2021 10:53 PM
Those volunteers lining the athletes' entrance are working their arses off!

Thought so too. Probably on Pocari Sweat.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/noc-schedule-australia.htm

Useful chronological schedule for Australia events. Swimmers will be listed once start lists produced.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search