Australia in the Olympics thread

Australia in the Olympics thread

Author
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
So yeah, poles just won the mixed relay in running

RUNNING
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Loving the presentation ahead of the 100m women's final, world class.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Hopefully 7 get the memo and don't talk all over the men's final intro as well.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Three Jamaicans, three medals for Jamaica.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

1-2-3 for Jamaica in the 100m womens sprint
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

paladisious - 31 Jul 2021 10:50 PM
Hopefully 7 get the memo and don't talk all over the men's final intro as well.

As much as he's a complete flog, McAvaney doesn't normally do stuff like that.  
I've noticed it during swimming, athletics and a few other events that when there is no aussie competing they tend to just gloss over everything and talk about something else. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Another day of gold for Australia. McKeon the most successful Olympian ever now. 20 medals in the pool, 9 gold. Only two gold off the Americans. It appears we've never been that close on the gold tally. 12 medals ahead of GB. It doesn't feel like it as GB and China always seemed to be harassing in the pool. 

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Burztur - 21 Jul 2021 12:33 PM
We peaked in 2000. Funding wise, other countries are matching/exceeding us. Unless there is heavy investment again, I can't see us reaching our previous heights (not to mention the home team advantage).

Looks like I was wrong on that front! Good to see :)
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Burztur - 1 Aug 2021 6:41 PM
Burztur - 21 Jul 2021 12:33 PM

Looks like I was wrong on that front! Good to see :)

I'm incredibly surprised at our results. I've not seen any reporting on certain top athletes not making it to the games. Perhaps Australia had some of the most comfortable preparation in Covid conditions. Fairly free in training but the big rivals would've set themselves up the best anyway. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

hey, lets see now that the swimming is done.
Mind you we got bonus from the new sports introduced, BMX/Surfing getting medals but yer its been good.
More medal chances coming the next few days.
Hey how was that Kookburras pens win, I've never seen it done that way, was great contest and brilliant wipeout done by us.
Great medicine considering our covid situation.

Love Football

Edited
3 Years Ago by LFC.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Well in Bol.

Hope Jeff Risley can join him in the final.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

That's a shame, Risley had a much better season best than that, he just couldn't come back from the back of the pack. That's his last race.

Good on the two guys who fell over finishing their race with honour.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

I really hope this showboating Qatari prick in the high jump doesn't win anything tonight, but he's way in front so far. 

Sweden-based son of an athlete Qatar poached from Sudan.

Won gold in the last two Asian Games and the last two IAAF World Championships, the last of which was held in Doha. Silver and bronze in the last two Olympic games.

Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Italy completing the Euro and Olympic 100m double!
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

paladisious - 1 Aug 2021 10:12 PM
I really hope this showboating Qatari prick in the high jump doesn't win anything tonight, but he's way in front so far. 

Sweden-based son of an athlete Qatar poached from Sudan.

Won gold in the last two Asian Games and the last two IAAF World Championships, the last of which was held in Doha. Silver and bronze in the last two Olympic games.

I reserve all of my criticism for the Qatari sports mafia, but respect won for opting to share the gold.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

paladisious - 1 Aug 2021 11:06 PM
paladisious - 1 Aug 2021 10:12 PM

I reserve all of my criticism for the Qatari sports mafia, but respect won for opting to share the gold.

Dunno, if he tried to win it he could’ve potentially lost, so sharing gold was the safest option. He’s probably getting a palace built for him
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Last week of the Olympics!!

it’s been a lot of fun following the competition I haven’t watched as much as I did the first week
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

yer Pala, agreed about the high jumper but yes he did redeem himself in sharing the medal with the other show pony Italian haha....
Sure was a consuming battle amongst 5/6 jumpers incl our Starc. (great seeing the coverage going back to his bro viewing the cricket team)
Can't believe how high they can jump, near on the height of our football crossbar.

Unbelieveable Italy getting the 100M Gold.
Got to say I'm happy - the Euro Cup win seems to have inspired Italian competitors.

Kudos to our Aussies at the track, been great viewing.

MCG, what you too busy to catch up on each days events ?

Love Football

Edited
3 Years Ago by LFC.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

LFC. - 2 Aug 2021 9:38 AM
yer Pala, agreed about the high jumper but yes he did redeem himself in sharing the medal with the other show pony Italian haha....
Sure was a consuming battle amongst 5/6 jumpers incl our Starc. (great seeing the coverage going back to his bro viewing the cricket team)
Can't believe how high they can jump, near on the height of our football crossbar.

Unbelieveable Italy getting the 100M Gold.
Got to say I'm happy - the Euro Cup win seems to have inspired Italian competitors.

Kudos to our Aussies at the track, been great viewing.

MCG, what you too busy to catch up on each days events ?

Just busy now we’re out of lockdown in melbourne. Going to enjoy watching the last week starting with the Matildas tonight 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

I hardly watch during the day, I'm at the office.
Late arvo onwards is when I catch up.

9pm Matildas koff.

Mens/Rings/Vault finals from 6pm

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend

LFC. - 2 Aug 2021 4:43 PM
I hardly watch during the day, I'm at the office.
Late arvo onwards is when I catch up.

9pm Matildas koff.

Mens/Rings/Vault finals from 6pm

We lost hockey that’s disappointing 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Boomers to face USA in the semi final if they get past Argentina in the quarters.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Surprised how little people are talking about Peter Bol in the 800m final.  Genuine chance of a medal on Wednesday.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Harry Garside in the boxing Quarter Final on Tuesday.  

Australian Harry Garside has reached the quarter-finals of the Tokyo Olympics men’s lightweight boxing.

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

ErogenousZone - 2 Aug 2021 7:26 PM
Harry Garside in the boxing Quarter Final on Tuesday.  

Australian Harry Garside has reached the quarter-finals of the Tokyo Olympics men’s lightweight boxing.

The boxing is actually pretty cool at the Olympics, 3 rounds per fight, over in 10mins
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Glory Recruit - 2 Aug 2021 7:32 PM
ErogenousZone - 2 Aug 2021 7:26 PM

The boxing is actually pretty cool at the Olympics, 3 rounds per fight, over in 10mins

Been watching some of the replays. Love the 3 round format. Most fights are ponderous affairs that seem to go on forever.  
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/sailing/results-470-men-prel-001000-.html

Killing it in men's dinghy. 2 races left. It says then the medal race but does that mean all those 10 early winds don't count? surely not!

Women currently in 4th with two races plus medal race to go.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

sydneyfc1987 - 2 Aug 2021 6:04 PM
Surprised how little people are talking about Peter Bol in the 800m final.  Genuine chance of a medal on Wednesday.

oh I'm sure we'll talk about him come tomorrow.....
Another great storey - fingers crossed the planets align on the day and goes like mad, any medal would do me.

Love Football

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

Having doubts now that U.S. will top the medal tally, thought we’d see them dominate 
athletics but it isnt happening
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

FIrst Aussie gold in boxing since 1988.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search