Is the AFC experiment over?

Is the AFC experiment over?

Author
Royz2000
Super Fan
Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)Super Fan (113 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
We are no better off then what we were in the OFC at this point of time, Our national youth cant even beat Laos let alone NZ, we refuse to use the 3+1 rule in our league and have no 2nd division. We are rated just above Vietnam for the A-League standings. We don't take the AFC serious enough to be there.
Is Oceania our savour? 

Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Been saying this for over 5 years now the AFC was the worst thing Australia did, our football in every metric has gone backwards.... It has also cost us a load of money 

I doubt we will go back to the OFC but we probably should no one cares about the ACL, or Asian cup etc 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Davstar - 14 Jul 2021 2:11 PM
Been saying this for over 5 years now the AFC was the worst thing Australia did, our football in every metric has gone backwards.... It has also cost us a load of money 

I doubt we will go back to the OFC but we probably should no one cares about the ACL, or Asian cup etc 

Well you have totally confused me with those comments. I was one of 100K watching the 2015 Asian cup final in Sydney. I was also there for Iran v Qatar in Sydney, easily the most atmospheric day at the Olympic stadium, outside of a couple of WC qualifiers & Asian cup final, & I have attended quite a few events there.
I only ever cheered WSW once & that was the 2104 ACL final, & cheered for Adelaide a few years earlier in another ACL final.
I was in Russia to watch the Socceroos play in a World cup with mainly A-League players in 2018, 4th time running of qualifying for WC (was also there in 2006) after 32 years of heartache.
I attended a Sydney Derby with 62K & also attended some games of the A-League with 30k-40K. I've seen the A-League discussed & even feared in the main stream media.

So not sure what metrics you talking about.

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Royz2000 - 14 Jul 2021 2:01 PM
We are no better off then what we were in the OFC at this point of time, Our national youth cant even beat Laos let alone NZ, we refuse to use the 3+1 rule in our league and have no 2nd division. We are rated just above Vietnam for the A-League standings. We don't take the AFC serious enough to be there.
Is Oceania our savour? 

Gosh imagine if countries like England & Italy had a person like you running them they would never have made the Euros finals.

England after losing to Iceland, pop 345K, decides to never to play Euros & play in the Home nations (Scotland, nth Ireland & Wales) cup.
Italy after missing out on World cup in 2018, unheard of, deciding to just play in the Med cup with Greece, Sardinia, Scily & Cyrpus opting out of Euros.

Amazing how some think after a lost.

tomw
tomw
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Is Oceania our savour? 

Care to explain how any of those complaints have to do with is being in the AFC, and why moving to the OFC would solve them?

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Yeah, definitely more money and market potential in Oceania. Good one genius!

Beaten by Eldar

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

😳😳😳
Are these the same people that want WP out?
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Weird how this gets posted yearly and usually it's Royz2000 and Davstar who want back in the ofc.  It's sad that they waste their/his time on this 
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Is Oceania our savour? 

I'm not sure if you are trolling?

Four successive World Cup appearances at senior level  has been wonderful  IMO.

Using football specific performance criteria, the A L has improved immeasurably. The quantity of quality young players in it ATM is good too.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

I would never advocate leaving the AFC, but it's certainly true that not too many Australians actually care about  any of the Asian comps.

Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

bettega - 14 Jul 2021 5:43 PM
I would never advocate leaving the AFC, but it's certainly true that not too many Australians actually care about  any of the Asian comps.

Which is unfortunate.

I've  loved watching ACL with A L clubs involved.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

they need to introduce a nations league to remove round 2 of the WC qualifiers.

do we really need to smash Taiwan 7-0 every few years? Kuwait smashed them 9-0.. what do these games even do? would much rather see a vietnam vs taiwan.

top 8 ranked asian teams go into round 3.
8 teams from the rest
split into 4 groups, top 4 seeded.
Edited
3 Years Ago by jas88
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Wanderers fans certainly seemed to care about it when they won, with a team including Mooy, Ono and Juric.

Beaten by Eldar

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Eldar - 14 Jul 2021 7:15 PM

Wanderers fans certainly seemed to care about it when they won, with a team including Mooy, Ono and Juric.

In the earlier years of our participation the interest was high, but as each year goes on it seems to be looked at with less interest. The WSW’s achievement by winning it was huge though. 

This is not unique to Australia though, as attendances at ACL matches are fairly poor in quite a few countries. Numerous teams also send weakened squads as they prioritise their domestic league matches.

The logistics of trying to play a competition across the AFC is a huge challenge, even with the East/West split. I like the concept of the ACL, but can certainly see why it creates challenges for many involved, especially with squad sizes that A-League clubs have.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Heart_fan - 14 Jul 2021 8:11 PM

In the earlier years of our participation the interest was high, but as each year goes on it seems to be looked at with less interest. The WSW’s achievement by winning it was huge though. 

I think that is because we couldn't compete and it plays a big part in people deciding the quality of the A-league is no good and this leads to declining interest in the league. I think it is one of the keys, along with developing players and successful national teams, to turning opinions of our league around.

Beaten by Eldar

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Helped created a Juggernaut.
They've all remained loyal to this day.

TheDjentleman
TheDjentleman
Hacker
Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)

AFC should be split in half and OFC should be swallowed up by the eastern sector of Asia.

Everybodys favourite lurker.

CanberraHarry
CanberraHarry
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

This thread ... lol
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

robbos - 14 Jul 2021 2:49 PM
Davstar - 14 Jul 2021 2:11 PM

Well you have totally confused me with those comments. I was one of 100K watching the 2015 Asian cup final in Sydney. I was also there for Iran v Qatar in Sydney, easily the most atmospheric day at the Olympic stadium, outside of a couple of WC qualifiers & Asian cup final, & I have attended quite a few events there.
I only ever cheered WSW once & that was the 2104 ACL final, & cheered for Adelaide a few years earlier in another ACL final.
I was in Russia to watch the Socceroos play in a World cup with mainly A-League players in 2018, 4th time running of qualifying for WC (was also there in 2006) after 32 years of heartache.
I attended a Sydney Derby with 62K & also attended some games of the A-League with 30k-40K. I've seen the A-League discussed & even feared in the main stream media.

So not sure what metrics you talking about.

love how you have picked probably the best moments let me bring some balance to the debate 

love how we rarely qualify for Youth tournaments
Love how the AL teams 4/5 times dont even make it out of there ACL group 
Oh the Talent drain we got with players taking short term money instead of building a career in Asia has made the Socceroos....well shit 
Yes We were in Russia how did we go with that? i dont think we won a game....or scored a goal in open play....
Sydney Derby has nothing to do with Asia - Also the Nix are a OFC based team....so thats +1 for the OFC 

The argument that i hear for Asia is a stupid one it has 'potential' - my question is potential for what? potential for football to die in this country? 

This fourm used to have +500 active members back in the 00s not we struggle to have over 40..... 

Asian cup final was great, we would be better off playing the confed cup every 4 years at least your playing teams like Italy and Argentina - i mean who wouldnt want to give up our epic matches against Qatar and Bahrain....  Sure playing Japan and S.Korea are good competitive matches but now the OFC will get a spot to the world cup where is NO REASON to stay in Asia...

the band of die harders left still cant admit things have gone backwards ...

Every 'good' moment you mentioned is not half as good at us qualifying in 2005 and the 2006 win against Japan and making it out of the group with the draw against Croatia.....  

If you dont think we should return to the OFC ill give you the ultimate reason BEING IN ASIA MEANS WE WILL ALWAYS BE SEEDED WITH ASIAN TEAMS MEANING THE CHANCES OF US MAKING IT OUT OF THE GROUP IN A WC ARE GREATLY REDUCED AS WE PRETTY MUCH WILL ALWAYS DRAW A TOP EUROPEAN, SOUTH AMERICAN SIDE.

Nations like Qatar, Iran etc are vastly worse then sides like Chile, Peru, Denmark.... - making it out of the group in the world cup would do more to boost football interest in Australia then 10 new marquee players in the AL..... 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Edited
3 Years Ago by Davstar
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Davstar - 14 Jul 2021 10:36 PM

love how you have picked probably the best moments let me bring some balance to the debate 

love how we rarely qualify for Youth tournaments

So you don't want to have constant annual competitive youth fixtures?

Love how the AL teams 4/5 times dont even make it out of there ACL group

The ACL is played 10 months after it's decided who's repping the A-L , normally with completely different team's to the team's that win the title, mid the next season, to add prize money is abysmal, it's no wonder the league is prioritized.

Oh the Talent drain we got with players taking short term money instead of building a career in Asia has made the Socceroos....well shit.

Talent drain? we're a a feeder league, it's up to individual if they want to chase money or glory, it was that way in the NSL, at least these days players don't have to revert to becoming part timers when they come home.

Yes We were in Russia how did we go with that? i dont think we won a game....or scored a goal in open play....

We were also the weakest team to qualify from Asia. We were first team from the AFC to win at the intercontinentals, We drew with Denmark and lost to the eventual winners off a lucky deflection.

Sydney Derby has nothing to do with Asia - Also the Nix are a OFC based team....so thats +1 for the OFC 

Nope, although in a OFC country WP do not participate in the OFC, they are an AFC entity, or be it a very restricted one.

The argument that i hear for Asia is a stupid one it has 'potential' - my question is potential for what? potential for football to die in this country? 

Growth in all aspects of the game. Revenue from matches played, revenue from tournaments held, a confederation that can actually offer backing, alternative channels for players and coaches to get OS.

This fourm used to have +500 active members back in the 00s not we struggle to have over 40..... 

So a forum in a under utalized website is your reason AFC is failing?

Asian cup final was great, we would be better off playing the confed cup every 4 years at least your playing teams like Italy and Argentina - i mean who wouldnt want to give up our epic matches against Qatar and Bahrain....  Sure playing Japan and S.Korea are good competitive matches but now the OFC will get a spot to the world cup where is NO REASON to stay in Asia...

Confed cups dead.

the band of die harders left still cant admit things have gone backwards ...
We have had a couple of lean years, but I'd have to say last year showed there's life in football in this country yet. To add the APL is probably the most important thing in football since the Crawford report.

Every 'good' moment you mentioned is not half as good at us qualifying in 2005 and the 2006 win against Japan and making it out of the group with the draw against Croatia..... 

To talk about 05/06 and forget the previous 32 years is to ignore why we are in the AFC in the first place. That was a dark time. To add after Qatar the World cup changes 48 teams were never going to see 05/06 again.

If you dont think we should return to the OFC ill give you the ultimate reason BEING IN ASIA MEANS WE WILL ALWAYS BE SEEDED WITH ASIAN TEAMS MEANING THE CHANCES OF US MAKING IT OUT OF THE GROUP IN A WC ARE GREATLY REDUCED AS WE PRETTY MUCH WILL ALWAYS DRAW A TOP EUROPEAN, SOUTH AMERICAN SIDE.

What draw?? It changes after Qatar,
Asia gets 8 spots.

Nations like Qatar, Iran etc are vastly worse then sides like Chile, Peru, Denmark.... - making it out of the group in the world cup would do more to boost football interest in Australia then 10 new marquee players in the AL..... 

As stated it's all changing

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

robbos - 14 Jul 2021 3:00 PM

Gosh imagine if countries like England & Italy had a person like you running them they would never have made the Euros finals.

England after losing to Iceland, pop 345K, decides to never to play Euros & play in the Home nations (Scotland, nth Ireland & Wales) cup.
Italy after missing out on World cup in 2018, unheard of, deciding to just play in the Med cup with Greece, Sardinia, Scily & Cyrpus opting out of Euros.

Amazing how some think after a lost.

This sums it up. If we think Asia is hard and we should go back to Oceania which is easier, we would never develop beyond the Golden Generation.
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

This is why this forum should just accept it’s dead. 
robbos
robbos
Pro

huddo - 15 Jul 2021 12:25 AM

Perfectly replied Huddo.

Davstar, there are those who see a glass 1/2 full & others 1/2 empty.

I was there In 2006 WC lost to Brazil in Germany with our golden generation, was as proud as punch, what a great effort, I later drank & spoke to some Brazilians after the game, wishing to discuss my beloved Socceroos great performance. They dismiss the GG team & said no good, not good enough, 1 or 2 Harry, Dukes not bad, the others, no skill, not good to watch. I reeled away in disgust, how poorly are they taking this, how a Soccer backwater like Australia pushed the might of Brazil, they didn't like it.
Later I watched replay of the game, months later, after euphoria had died & then I was shock to find that I agreed with my Brazilian drinking partner, yes we competed brilliantly, we were fit, we were harden pros, we were fighting above our weight, but skill was wise outside of Harry & Dukes, we were a million miles away, this was further emphasised at Asian cup 2007, forget results, forget tiredness, forget arrogance,  forget coaching, just looking skill wise, the GG were not any higher then our Asian counterparts.
I always even then thought we could improve, maybe I'm still waiting, but Ange started something.

Edited
3 Years Ago by robbos
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Yes, for many of them their interest in football was totally drained when they heard we would no longer get to play Vanuatu or Tuvalu. I know my interest has wained with the lack of double digit score lines any serious fan looked forward to.
I suspect you’ll find the other 460 forum members avidly posting on some Kiribati football forum. Perhaps you could report back to us on the progress currently being made in Oceania?

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

clockwork orange - 15 Jul 2021 7:31 AM

Yes, for many of them their interest in football was totally drained when they heard we would no longer get to play Vanuatu or Tuvalu. I know my interest has wained with the lack of double digit score lines any serious fan looked forward to.
I suspect you’ll find the other 460 forum members avidly posting on some Kiribati football forum. Perhaps you could report back to us on the progress currently being made in Oceania?

🤣🤣🤣
AJF
AJF
Pro

Decentric 2 - 14 Jul 2021 5:30 PM

The quantity of quality young players in it ATM is good too.

The Kiwi Olympic Squad says hello.....

saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)

With threads like this one, it's mind boggling why this would be the case   
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

LOL, so its AFCs fault that we haven't developed good enough youth players or given much youth game time in the AL. So the solution to this is to move from a stronger confed to the weakest one in the world. That way we can dominate, qualify for every tournament and take stagnation to the next level. 

This would be akin to Turkey and Russia moving from Europe to Asia because they dont qualify for every youth tournament and only make the group stage in the champions league.

saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)

jaymz - 15 Jul 2021 10:00 AM
LOL, so its AFCs fault that we haven't developed good enough youth players or given much youth game time in the AL. So the solution to this is to move from a stronger confed to the weakest one in the world. That way we can dominate, qualify for every tournament and take stagnation to the next level. 

This would be akin to Turkey and Russia moving from Europe to Asia because they dont qualify for every youth tournament and only make the group stage in the champions league.

C'mon now, Royz and Davstar do have a point... Archie Thompson scoring 13 goals against American Samoa did more for football in this country than any world cup appearance could ever have done. 
bettega
bettega
World Class

jaymz - 15 Jul 2021 10:00 AM

Although you do wonder whether Turkish officials ever look at the easy ride Australia gets into every WC and maybe occasionally they've thought to themselves that they could do with a little bit of that.

You wonder what they're thinking when they have to sit and watch the Saudis getting demolished yet again in a WC fixture.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search