Your Australian A-league All stars vs Barcelona

Your Australian A-league All stars vs Barcelona

Author
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Nice crowd.
Nice to have Barcelona here.
Nice to see young Kuol do well.
Nice to see Piscopo do well.
Nice game.
Nice to see an Adama Traore on both sides.

It was nice. For what it was,
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

bluebird2 - 27 May 2022 5:01 PM
The Internet as we know it today didnt really take shape that much in 2005. Things were still pretty much driven by a 3 station and 2 newspaper mentality and there is a lot that was said that isnt documented. Its hard for me to dig up everything that was promised 2003-2005, and even a few years after. And it wasn't a single speech either. Often its a case of piecing together fragments over time to form a macro picture

The differences between the early A League and the current one is the "why" instead of the "what". I'll give one example (but by no means all):
. The top 6 was introduced based on a 14 team league, but the early introduction was to cement a start and end date for the A League (like every other professional sport). A gradual expansion would have meant constant changes in the season length and start / end which would have made it hard to get network backing
. The top 6 was reintroduced after season 6 (despite no expansion intent) because Aussies love finals and the longer teams stay in the less sad their fans get. It was also redesigned to be "more exciting" and lacked any competitive merit. Who asked for that in 2005?

Oh, and in all my ramblings above I forgot about the October kick off too. Another product of the fear of failure introduced after season 6. I think this point alone highlights the difference in ambition. A game that was going to dictate its own fate instead of being told what scraps it was allowed to have

I appreciate all your points and agree with most of them. I just dont feel cheated by the Lowy mob. I'm happy with how the A League started and I'd be curious to know what you would have done differently. I think the way it was managed, especially given the shortfalls at the time, I can't see how it could have been any different. There was IMO a clear change of direction after season 6 and we're still paying for it. But I take your point, and I've always been a believer that if you dont acknowledge your mistakes then you're likely to repeat them. If the game was stuffed from the offset due to the initial framework then its something we need to steer clear of next time

And I appreciate that you and many others jumped on board... You don't feel cheated by Lowy perhaps because one fine day in 2004 you didnt just get told, this is the last season you and your club are allowed to participate in Australian  national soccer, your league is disbanding, were starting a new thing with NO WOGS ALLOWED you and your family and friends can go and fuck off to the state leagues forever.... no more pumpkin seed eating, tinpot, effnik clubs allowed.... And to top it all off the Socceroos made the fucken world cup a year later and all of a sudden soccer in Australia has its mini explosion in popularity and Hellas is playing Frankston Pines in front of 200 people in the sticks... You couldn't make this sort of tragic shit up if you tried, Lowys revenge was complete.... What would I have done differently you ask? Well for one thing I would have got my rich ass friends to invest their money into existing clubs, no  not the ethnic ones, but lower down the leagues.... lobbied the government got more funds for both Soccer Australia and the AIS and  arranged, most importantly for the structural recommendations of the Crawford report to be implemented as soon as possible. Money should have always flowed through the game top to bottom, and enabled a tiered level of investment from state to national to first division... yes my friend the fabled pro rel if lowy convinced the fruiterer to poor less funds into, for arguments sake,  Frankston Pines instead of starting Vicfory from scratch, they would have the chance to buy a club on the cheap, build it up and get promoted in 2 to 3 seasons to get a share of the foxtel riches that would be pouring in.....  It would have forced the "effniks" to do better, to professionalise and in the same breath would have injected a new audience into a stage acting league.... Most importantly it would  ot have killed of the very nurseries which were supplying talent to AIS and then to Socceroos..... 

SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 27 May 2022 10:58 PM
Mr Cleansheets - 27 May 2022 7:54 PM

Well, my well meaning goalkeeper,  you will note that in this particular thread my contribution was to praise the Aleague Allstars And heap even more praise on a young player... You"ll find that a certain mask hating individual instigated all the ALeague bashing this time..... I did find the conversation pretty interesting though.

In regards to your experience with the "effniks" I'm sorry you feel that way. I can't pretend to speak for the Olympic boys but perhaps it was equal parts them being weary of you as it was you being slightly uncomfortable around them??? I know it was meant to be a joke  but assuming  Greek Australians would be wary of ASIO is the sort of low level racism that allowed Lowy to  enact his own white Australia policy....Fear of what you don't understand or relate too is a powerful tool used by those who want to get their own way... 17 years later and I'm still being told by kids, who weren't even born in  2005, that they would never feel welcome at a soccer club where people spoke a foreign language, and then they go off and fire up FIFA to play RM or PSG. The Aleague is pretty crappy they say but at least it better than those old scray monster ethnic NSL days... lol
Im  not dismissing how you felt BTW, I know the old NSL clubs could have seemed fairly hard to swallow for those not willing to put up with young, loud, raucous young blokes looking to make themselves feel alittle better about themselves after being treated like foreigners in their own country all week but I have plenty of skip mates down at Lakeside that would find your comments very very hard to relate too.  Personally I swear to you I have never told anyone to leave a Hellas match for not having the right DNA..... :) 

They were only treated like foreigners because they acted like foreigners. Most banging a drum about a country that they had never stepped foot in. You know that to be the case, as you were one of them.
Edited
2 Years Ago by SUTHERLANDBEAR
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

bluebird2 - 27 May 2022 4:05 PM
SoccerooFan - 27 May 2022 3:26 PM

Thats right. I turned my back on the league, not the game. I do aspire to one day again watch football in this country. The irony is the Barcelona fans got to experience more from our game this year than I did

This is sad. I don't believe that Graham Arnold is the best coach for the Socceroos, and I don't believe his selections for the upcoming games are the best that could have been made for our chances to win them. However, I will most certainly be up at 4.00am next Thursday and the following Wednesday and again on the 14th (if we're in the game) cheering on the players that represent our country.
Why aren't you supporting a club at whatever level you think is a genuine club? Manchester United are probably the most plastic club in the world, and have been for decades, but it is still the local club to those Mancurian fans who follow them. Same with Brisbane ROAR at the local level. I still follow them.
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Barca4Life - 25 May 2022 11:37 PM
Well done to APL for taking a gamble on this but it has payed off in some way! 

How?

What  are   the   enduring   benefits  of   "All  Stars "  exhibition  matches  to  the   local   game ?
Edited
2 Years Ago by Remote Control
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 28 May 2022 1:36 AM

They were only treated like foreigners because they acted like foreigners. Most banging a drum about a country that they had never stepped foot in. You know that to be the case, as you were one of them.

Bet nobody ever told you to "fuck off back to your own country" did they my Scottish pal,,, even though I'm born and bred and sound a lot more Aussie than you...... ( I assume :)) And as for how we acted back then, we acted like Greek Australians, or Croatian Australians or Italian Australians... or whatever.... I know its this Anglo arrogance to believe that all tru blue Aussies eat  meat pies, are C of E and have convict ancestors however, in this wonderful country of ours we have the freedom and privilege to see ourselves as whatever we want regardless of how uncomfortable it makes the racist pigs of this world.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 28 May 2022 11:55 PM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 28 May 2022 1:36 AM

Bet nobody ever told you to "fuck off back to your own country" did they my Scottish pal,,, even though I'm born and bred and sound a lot more Aussie than you...... ( I assume :)) And as for how we acted back then, we acted like Greek Australians, or Croatian Australians or Italian Australians... or whatever.... I know its this Anglo arrogance to believe that all tru blue Aussies eat  meat pies, are C of E and have convict ancestors however, in this wonderful country of ours we have the freedom and privilege to see ourselves as whatever we want regardless of how uncomfortable it makes the racist pigs of this world.

I have been told more times than I care to remember.

People of non ethnic background ( Anglo if you like) don’t really get people who were born here preferring to be something else or some made up hybrid nationality. If you are born and bred here, you are Australian, that’s it.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Not really the right thread (and I note Mono always seems to bring this argument to any thread) but we really need to be looking forward rather than backwards.

Also, it does my head in that football fans in this country don't unite around our code. That's always been the main problem - too many competing visions of what football ought to be or look like.

Of course, it hasn't been helped by some terrible decisions in the past and the creation of a working pyramid MUST be the number one goal. We're going nowhere until that happens.

I see so much promise and have no doubt that, by the end of the C21, football will be the number one game in Oz, but I don't want to wait that long.

Small point for the effniks... Sydney Olympic have always been my NPL club but as a skip I was always made to feel unwelcome when I went to matches. I loved Jimmy Patikas and Mark Koussas but not being Greek made everyone suspicious of me in those days. The fans probably thought I was ASIO. So I stopped going.

I live on the Central Coast these days and am overjoyed to have a local club to support but what I most want is for football to find its rightful place in Oz, and that means the pyramid and establishing a national game that is utterly unlike all other Australian sports with promotion and relegation from grassroots all the way to the top.

Hey mate and I sympathise with your early NSL experience.......and I get it having lived through it as well as a teen.
I felt being alienated even though I was a aussie born wog.
Instead of darker or olive complextion I was/am fair skinned blond hair therefore I felt like an outcast in some ways as I was looked at but once they heard me speak my parents native tongue amazing how things changed for me.
Those we're tuff days might I add long before my time and I feel alot of the ethnics built up barriers against the anglos as Mono mentions for born here or not everything was against them/wogs.
NRL/AFL and ARU we so much stronger press right behind them and we we're looked like sissys right, at the same time the crowd behaviour by that small % was focussed on to make sure the general Australian not used to seeing passionate supporters going OTT was bar barrick.
Obviously this didn't help about todays term of "inclusion" and all we're ignorant about it full stop incl SA and people in general.

Like you and I'm sure countless others wish to look ahead - mind you I gave in to the early days of AL hoping to look at the big picture even though still supporting NPL but I lost it as things we're never going to re unite all US football supporters.
Lowy was very happy to exclude the real grass roots of our game for his one and only mission, control control and money.
He had ample opportunity to help the game below with an olive branch but nope wasn't going to happen and here we are 17yrs later.
A real shame hurts like mad.
The lack of respect by fellow supporters is sad as well.
The young ones don't know what all went through long before AL but generally just knock it reading history.
They dont have a glue what we/the game had to go through and even 17yrs later its still not respected enough here imo.
This is what needs to change with the big boys agreeing to disagree but move ahead for the good of the game for all inclusive.
Supporters are the key about this wanting the change otherwise there will always be this divide between ALM/NPL/NSD.
I just don't get how all can't see this is the best chance for the game to really forge on together.
ALM will not do it on its own full stop period.

The Barca exhibition game showed once again how many football supporters are out there who don't care to support ALM tickets barring the odd time for some, sure its a snowflake game to us invested supporters more so because we lack quality games week in week out at the top flight.
Especially re "locals" lighting up the stage like young Kuol - the NSL had a lot more local players despite being ethnic born, Dukes was cranking it at Kuol's age int he top flight for eg.....
We have countless more in top flight NPL who could excite as well and importantly improve our young up and coming talented kids but we lose so many because they go whats the point !

Yep we need the pyramid like mad, those one eyed ALM supporters can't see through the trees.
Its ok but it could/should be so much more ! ain't gonna bring in a good % of those invested supporters enough without P/R for then in time we will be a massive game together but maybe not in my lifetime sadly.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 29 May 2022 8:15 AM

People of non ethnic background ( Anglo if you like) don’t really get people who were born here preferring to be something else or some made up hybrid nationality. If you are born and bred here, you are Australian, that’s it.

that true we're all Aussies but be it anglo background or whatever from wherever type of blood nothing is wrong being passionate of your combined roots, thats human Sutho just like scots/irish/and mad englishmen they have done similar as you know.
Its a double edged sword played by many no big deal but some make it a big deal.

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Well thats pretty shit mate, I empathise with you, Its not a good feeling to realise how racist Australia can be sometimes.., Go ask the Asian and Indian 3rd and 4th generation Aussies if they feel included everyday.....
BTW I hope your children and/or grandchildren never care to look up the family tartan, pick up the bagpipes, shed a tear at Mel's stirring speach at the battle of Falkirk, or "heaven help us" cheer on the Rangers in the early hours of the morning..... that would be incredibly un-Australian
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

LFC. - 29 May 2022 6:39 PM

that true we're all Aussies but be it anglo background or whatever from wherever type of blood nothing is wrong being passionate of your combined roots, thats human Sutho just like scots/irish/and mad englishmen they have done similar as you know.
Its a double edged sword played by many no big deal but some make it a big deal.

It's all good & well, most Aussies have roots from elsewhere & are proud of it. However, do you need a mono ethnic team in the top tier competition in this country?
Imagine the SFC fans chanting SCOT-land.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Small point for the effniks... Sydney Olympic have always been my NPL club but as a skip I was always made to feel unwelcome when I went to matches. 

Went to a couple of matches back in the day when I lived in Sydney (30+ years ago) and felt like I was in a foreign country.  Bit of a weird experience for a lad that grew up in a country town. 

Stopped going.

That was the reality for me. I doubt I was alone.

(Wasn't made to feel unwelcome though. Wasn't for me.)

Member since 2008.

Edited
2 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 30 May 2022 9:12 AM

Went to a couple of matches back in the day when I lived in Sydney (30+ years ago) and felt like I was in a foreign country.  Bit of a weird experience for a lad that grew up in a country town. 

Stopped going.

That was the reality for me. I doubt I was alone.

(Wasn't made to feel unwelcome though. Wasn't for me.)

Now this I can accept Muz.... I get that you (and many others) may not have enjoyed the atmosphere or felt included or whatever but I doubt anyone would have been openly hostile....Many others loved the "Greekness" or "Croatianess" or "Italianess" of the clubs., the same as they like the decor and flavours and culture at  a Thai restaurant when they dine out.....  Is all I was ever trying to say.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

robbos - 30 May 2022 7:59 AM
LFC. - 29 May 2022 6:39 PM

It's all good & well, most Aussies have roots from elsewhere & are proud of it. However, do you need a mono ethnic team in the top tier competition in this country?
Imagine the SFC fans chanting SCOT-land.

haha would be funny picturing that......
mono ethnic team in a comp, our comp for eg.
Isn't that occuring in many leagues round the world.
Oh I get it it doesn't suit a Franchise system maybe or have people here been schooled on this by the past governace's pushing their barrow keeping the big bad wolf ethnics out.
How about these type of occurances happenning in other leagues - how many times do you see many Brazilian/French/ be it any nationality of a player supporters from their country flying their national flag, waving it etc and singing away whilst playing for their respective Club.
Korean Son for Spurs when fellow Koreans are in the crowd, Brazilians at Anfield for Bobby/Fabs/Alli, the list goes on and on its not a big deal nor made out of anything in the press.
Seriously this is a ridiculous senario played out here.
We want Football not the way it is everyone else in the world barring 2/3 Franchise leagues yet want growth.
We are not populated like the USA, they also are used to Franchise sporting systems we are NOT.
The Barca game showed once again how many football supporters are out there not engaged with our top tier but I bet many are involved weekly at their grass roots levels.
What is going to change, how long are you gonna wait for a fruitful exciting competition, till hell freezes over.

Love Football

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

LFC. - 30 May 2022 10:42 AM
robbos - 30 May 2022 7:59 AM

haha would be funny picturing that......
mono ethnic team in a comp, our comp for eg.
Isn't that occuring in many leagues round the world.
Oh I get it it doesn't suit a Franchise system maybe or have people here been schooled on this by the past governace's pushing their barrow keeping the big bad wolf ethnics out.
How about these type of occurances happenning in other leagues - how many times do you see many Brazilian/French/ be it any nationality of a player supporters from their country flying their national flag, waving it etc and singing away whilst playing for their respective Club.
Korean Son for Spurs when fellow Koreans are in the crowd, Brazilians at Anfield for Bobby/Fabs/Alli, the list goes on and on its not a big deal nor made out of anything in the press.
Seriously this is a ridiculous senario played out here.
We want Football not the way it is everyone else in the world barring 2/3 Franchise leagues yet want growth.
We are not populated like the USA, they also are used to Franchise sporting systems we are NOT.
The Barca game showed once again how many football supporters are out there not engaged with our top tier but I bet many are involved weekly at their grass roots levels.
What is going to change, how long are you gonna wait for a fruitful exciting competition, till hell freezes over.

You are misunderstanding me as the FA or the previous FFA. I have No issues with flags being brought into the stadiums to support the players playing for a certain club.
My heritage is Portuguese, If Man U (Ronaldo Bruno) or Man City (Cancelo, Dias & B Silva) played the Allstars game, yes I would take my parents & proudly wear a Portugal shirt. I did the same when I flew to Melbourne with my parents to see Real Madrid & Ronnie play a few years ago.
Do I want a Portuguese team in the A-League, bringing my Portuguese flag & chanting Port u Gal!!! No not in Australia, no way, not for me.
However, show me a club in top tier football in the top competitions in the world that has a mono culture different to the country they are in?
I live in the Manly Warringah Association area & we have several players coming from clubs in the area playing in either the A-League or W-League, do you think these people are marketed at grassroots level, NO!!!! You have to ask why? Do you see these young players at grass root levels aspiring to be like these players & hence asking their parents to go to games. This is the biggest question.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 30 May 2022 12:11 PM

You are misunderstanding me as the FA or the previous FFA. I have No issues with flags being brought into the stadiums to support the players playing for a certain club.
My heritage is Portuguese, If Man U (Ronaldo Bruno) or Man City (Cancelo, Dias & B Silva) played the Allstars game, yes I would take my parents & proudly wear a Portugal shirt. I did the same when I flew to Melbourne with my parents to see Real Madrid & Ronnie play a few years ago.
Do I want a Portuguese team in the A-League, bringing my Portuguese flag & chanting Port u Gal!!! No not in Australia, no way, not for me.
However, show me a club in top tier football in the top competitions in the world that has a mono culture different to the country they are in?
I live in the Manly Warringah Association area & we have several players coming from clubs in the area playing in either the A-League or W-League, do you think these people are marketed at grassroots level, NO!!!! You have to ask why? Do you see these young players at grass root levels aspiring to be like these players & hence asking their parents to go to games. This is the biggest question.

*cough Celtic FC *cough. 
But dont let that get in the way of your story .... please carry on we seem to go around and around and around all the time with this. Yeah 70k people rocked up to watch Barcelona play and IF there was an Aleague club called Barcelona here, promoting Catalan culture, with the same colours, similar badge etc etc you would probably get at least 5k fans to a game (just so they can fee their passion) but that would be bbbbaaaaddddd and scary huh?
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

ah misunderstood........
May I say we have Fraser Park (Portugese background) in PL4 at present, were higher sometime ago I'm sure you know them.
Everything round the ground is Portugese colours like their strip, the food, there isn't any Australian culture amongst it at all no diff to the PL1 ol Clubs - some supporters would sing out Port u gal or whatever else in Port u gese for the heck who cares....others would sing out Fraser. Not a big deal everyone knows we're all Aussie in any case.
I think I've mentioned before my better half is Maderian.
Yes no mono culture in top leagues due to long time established clubs whereas we being such a young country and afl/nrl etc having the grips of the culture here long before wogball did its own thing for typically unique Australia being ostirsized sockah like many migrants enclaves became, what else could they do.
Yet due to that kids went from Jnrs to Snrs/Div1 experience or furthered their careers with their family and friends following/attending.
I'm dieing for that change for our game bringing it all together.

Yep thats the biggest prob for a long time, capitilising in your own backyard, I'm sure Manlyfc promote their top flight name players in their socials, do you know IF they visit any Jnr training for eg, you said NO above, thats not good if so.
All that should be going on - heck I'm friends of James Georgkalis parents and my son playing with his younger bros earlier on, why we have seen some of Manlys games.
Its always that you know someone's somone link considering going to games right.
Why kids love being ball boys, why the Jnrs are asked to attend the Snr game for support or HT kickabout on the main pitch.
I was at SpiritFC WSW game on Saturday night, heaps of Jnrs there knowing Spirit had put word out through the socials to attend and support their top team, they were chanting along most of the game.
I'm sure some aspire to be like one of their fav Snr players.
The prob for the APL and its biggest question is why people are not going to games, there is NO likeable/link connect below them.
They have pilidged the lower clubs, taken Clubs identity to be in PL, they have done whatever they like yes with the support of those above in the past.
This is the cancer set long ago, I hope this NSD can prove many wrong.

edit - hehe I purposely didn't wish to mention Celtic/Rangers bugga you Mono lol

Love Football

Edited
2 Years Ago by LFC.
robbos
robbos
Pro

LFC. - 30 May 2022 1:42 PM

ah misunderstood........
May I say we have Fraser Park (Portugese background) in PL4 at present, were higher sometime ago I'm sure you know them.
Everything round the ground is Portugese colours like their strip, the food, there isn't any Australian culture amongst it at all no diff to the PL1 ol Clubs - some supporters would sing out Port u gal or whatever else in Port u gese for the heck who cares....others would sing out Fraser. Not a big deal everyone knows we're all Aussie in any case.
I think I've mentioned before my better half is Maderian.
Yes no mono culture in top leagues due to long time established clubs whereas we being such a young country and afl/nrl etc having the grips of the culture here long before wogball did its own thing for typically unique Australia being ostirsized sockah like many migrants enclaves became, what else could they do.
Yet due to that kids went from Jnrs to Snrs/Div1 experience or furthered their careers with their family and friends following/attending.
I'm dieing for that change for our game bringing it all together.

Yep thats the biggest prob for a long time, capitilising in your own backyard, I'm sure Manlyfc promote their top flight name players in their socials, do you know IF they visit any Jnr training for eg, you said NO above, thats not good if so.
All that should be going on - heck I'm friends of James Georgkalis parents and my son playing with his younger bros earlier on, why we have seen some of Manlys games.
Its always that you know someone's somone link considering going to games right.
Why kids love being ball boys, why the Jnrs are asked to attend the Snr game for support or HT kickabout on the main pitch.
I was at SpiritFC WSW game on Saturday night, heaps of Jnrs there knowing Spirit had put word out through the socials to attend and support their top team, they were chanting along most of the game.
I'm sure some aspire to be like one of their fav Snr players.
The prob for the APL and its biggest question is why people are not going to games, there is NO likeable/link connect below them.
They have pilidged the lower clubs, taken Clubs identity to be in PL, they have done whatever they like yes with the support of those above in the past.
This is the cancer set long ago, I hope this NSD can prove many wrong.

edit - hehe I purposely didn't wish to mention Celtic/Rangers bugga you Mono lol

No issues with Fraser Park, as they not in top tier.
Also massive respect with what ethics (60s,70s, 80s) did for football in this country.
I look at the names of the Aussies making headlines around the football world Postecoglou, Hrustic, Kerr & Garang Krul, shows we are a very multi national culture & richer for it.
As for aspiring, I'm talking about all the way down in grassroots football, all these players even before they got to Manly United, played for their local clubs, this is where the thousand of kids are, use the marketing of this.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

robbos - 30 May 2022 3:56 PM

Also massive respect with what ethics (60s,70s, 80s) did for football in this country.
I look at the names of the Aussies making headlines around the football world Postecoglou, Hrustic, Kerr & Garang Krul, shows we are a very multi national culture & richer for it.
As for aspiring, I'm talking about all the way down in grassroots football, all these players even before they got to Manly United, played for their local clubs, this is where the thousand of kids are, use the marketing of this.

oh absolutely agree and that should be driven and supported($$) from the top to State Feds incl the PL Clubs.
They are all double dipping and they could do a hell of lot better below the Rep levels.

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

robbos - 30 May 2022 3:56 PM

Why does this make a difference to you? Serious question btw?
If Fraser Park all of a sudden was given the opportunity to win their way to the Aleague, on the pitch, via promotion who cars what the club and its supporters chant? As long as it is not offensive, racist, sexist or insulting others in any way, I really don't understand why it would bother ANYONE? If they want to grow to be a bigger club, all inclusive of people outside their respective ethnicity then isn't it up to them? I would think that if they didnt they would end up being a very small, niche club, but again why is it so offensive to everyone... Good on them I say.... 

Mr Cleansheets
Mr Cleansheets
Rising Star
Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)Rising Star (870 reputation)

In regards to your experience with the "effniks" I'm sorry you feel that way. I can't pretend to speak for the Olympic boys but perhaps it was equal parts them being weary of you as it was you being slightly uncomfortable around them??? I know it was meant to be a joke  but assuming  Greek Australians would be wary of ASIO is the sort of low level racism that allowed Lowy to  enact his own white Australia policy....Fear of what you don't understand or relate too is a powerful tool used by those who want to get their own way... 17 years later and I'm still being told by kids, who weren't even born in  2005, that they would never feel welcome at a soccer club where people spoke a foreign language, and then they go off and fire up FIFA to play RM or PSG. The Aleague is pretty crappy they say but at least it better than those old scray monster ethnic NSL days... lol
Im  not dismissing how you felt BTW, I know the old NSL clubs could have seemed fairly hard to swallow for those not willing to put up with young, loud, raucous young blokes looking to make themselves feel alittle better about themselves after being treated like foreigners in their own country all week but I have plenty of skip mates down at Lakeside that would find your comments very very hard to relate too.  Personally I swear to you I have never told anyone to leave a Hellas match for not having the right DNA..... :) 
If you keep looking for racism you'll always find it. I would hardly have chosen a Greek club to support if I was racist regarding Greeks. I loved the atmos at the games including all the (to me in the 80s) exotic cooking smells and chanting I couldn't understand, but if I tried to be part of it... I wouldn't call it hostility, but definitely suspicion. I probably needed someone to introduce me I guess (I used to go with two other skips).

A skip mate of mine is a passionate South fan - you might know him. (Ian S - Australianised pom in fact)

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Mr Cleansheets - 30 May 2022 7:45 PM
If you keep looking for racism you'll always find it. I would hardly have chosen a Greek club to support if I was racist regarding Greeks. I loved the atmos at the games including all the (to me in the 80s) exotic cooking smells and chanting I couldn't understand, but if I tried to be part of it... I wouldn't call it hostility, but definitely suspicion. I probably needed someone to introduce me I guess (I used to go with two other skips).

A skip mate of mine is a passionate South fan - you might know him. (Ian S - Australianised pom in fact)

Sorry Cleansheets, I'm a bit agricultural in my turn of phrase and didn't mean to imply you were being racist personally.  Just that the prevailing attitude ( from both sides, I absolutely own that) was of being "us and them" when it came to everyday life.... a constant battle, "us and them" salami vs meat pies, "us and them" vfl vs soccer, "us and them" when it came to wogs vs skips, "us and them" when it came to every other part of day to day life.... Lowy and his merry men used this to their benefit as the lowest common denominator. The easy way to achieve a goal.
Before you can build a new shopping centre you've gotta get permission from the council to knock down the old milk bars and fish and chip shops you want to  build over.... Best way to make sure there are no objections to your building plans is to convince the neighbours the old shops are rotten and evil and need to be demolished......  Anyway its all moot now, the moment has passed, the high water mark was reached  years ago and now these "effnik" powerhouses are more like old workhorses out to pasture.... Yes they will survive, they have got too  much history and passion not too but in 50 years time the name Hellas for example will be like Sheffield Wednesday.... people will sort of know the history  of it vaguely  but still think, what an odd name :)
There are quiet a few skip fans I see at Lakeside every week, and more than one Ian :) although your mate is a fantastic writer and historian and I enjoy his work immensely. I don't know him well but enough to say hi too
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search