Easter

Easter

Author
Hillbilly55
Amateur
Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have just had my first passover meal in the manner of which Jesus would have had one on the night he was betrayed. I am a Christian, but interested in the traditions and rituals of other Faiths, and also what makes people tick generally.
So my question is - What does Easter mean to you and yours? How relevant to your life is Jesus' death on the cross 2,000 years ago?
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

For me absolutely no relevance besides 4 days to do something else and eat chocolate (not religious). I do like the orthodox Easter for the painting of the eggs though.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Same. Was a big deal when I was a kid because my extended family and my mum were religious. Being European it was an excuse to have a big family get together which was nice.

For me now I'm like TSF.

Though I would like to know how if Jesus was crucified on the Friday how is Friday to Sunday 3 days?

Member since 2008.

Edited
Last Year by Munrubenmuz
Hillbilly55
Hillbilly55
Amateur
Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)Amateur (543 reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 8 Apr 2023 6:36 PM
Same. Was a big deal when I was a kid because my extended family and my mum were religious. Being European it was an excuse to have a big family get together which was nice.

For me now I'm like TSF.

Though I would like to know how if Jesus was crucified on the Friday how is Friday to Sunday 3 days?

Thanks for the response Muz (and TSF). As I mentioned above, I went to a "Jewish" passover meal last Wednesday and the gentleman who led it explained that the actual passover that happened was on the Thursday, so Jesus was arrested and tried and Crucified on the Wednesday. Another interesting side note is that the timing of the event, as then they considered the day concluded at the going down of the sun (evening). Hence the evening arrest and trial, followed by the crucifixion next morning happened the same day in their time line. So Jesus was dead Wednesday (half day), Thursday and Friday, and Saturday night (the start of Sunday - half day). The Hebrews had many "Sabbaths"  which included but was not limited to the weekly Sabbath each Saturday.

On your question of Friday to Sunday, Jesus warned us of the problem with our Traditions and how they can interfere with following Him. Food for thought. God Bless
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Sorry Im late to the party, happy Easter to you all :)

Personally I enjoy the cultural aspect to Easter as a time of reflection and re-birth. A chance to connect with family and enjoy each other's company... 
There are many crossovers between Abrahamic and Polytheistic rituals in the Northern Spring and Easter/Pascha/Passover is the clearest example that we are ALL only partially right when it comes to explaining the true nature of God (if one exists at all that is)
Was always led to understand that the Resurrection occurred "on the third day" Thus midnight mass on Saturday leading into the dawn of the third day. Good Friday being the 1st day after death of Christ and his body taken down from the cross, anointed and placed in the tomb.   Incidentally Billy the betrayal by Judas (last supper) was on the Tuesday and i , culturally at least in Eastern Europe, why "Tuesday the 13th" is an ominous day and not the typical Western Friday 13th.... Interesting huh? Another wives tale about Easter with shades of paganism is that snakes are supposedly deadly fearful of donkeys and can be killed simply by hitting them over the head with a bamboo cane as supposedly Jesus was led in chains to the Romans to be tortured on a donkey while his hands where bound around a bamboo cane 

Great piece in the Age below I cam across, worth the read.
https://twitter.com/NickGalatas/status/1647065472972759040?cxt=HHwWgIDR5cbUxtstAAAA

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search