I miss Fox sports

I miss Fox sports

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
There i said I can't hold it any longer.

Everything was on Foxtel it was a simpler time. I miss sbs Les Murray, foster even basheer I miss back to back football games and peacock. I miss EPL red button games I miss bozza I miss football superstar and nerds FC 

We were spoilt back then we just didn't know it 😢
thekingmb
thekingmb
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

From having no games on TV with the NSL (maybe one a week) to having every game live on Fox was amazing, made an effort to watch every game where possible regardless of who was playing. People wanted to get rid of Fox, the grass ain't always greener, even though ultimately they didn't want us.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 22 Apr 2024 10:17 AM

Everything was on Foxtel it was a simpler time. I miss sbs Les Murray, foster even basheer I miss back to back football games and peacock. I miss EPL red button games I miss bozza I miss football superstar and nerds FC 

Factor in that they didn't want us and lowballed the A League.

Sick of blokes on social media going 'we need it back on Fox'.

They didn't want it. And as soon as they had the opportunity to fuck it off they took it.

(Maybe covid was engineered by Murdoch stooges in the US to help unload the A League from their books? We're through the looking glass people. A nod there to johnsmith, resident nutjob.)

Member since 2008.

Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)

Foxtel was the best thing that happened to Football in this country.

Its a complete shambles now. The league wanted to stand on its own two feet when in reality its 30 to 40 years from being able to do so.

If the clubs are getting one million each from paramount deal this season (rumoured figure) they need to walk away. Fox Sports were paying 50 million a year for it from Day 1, when there were 8 clubs!

If I'm the APLs I'm genuinely saying to Fox Sports, you can have it back for $20 million a year for the next 3 years. The viewership numbers will increase, guaranteed. 

Paramount has been a genuine disgrace. From the start. 

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2024 11:57 AM

Factor in that they didn't want us and lowballed the A League.

Sick of blokes on social media going 'we need it back on Fox'.

They didn't want it. And as soon as they had the opportunity to fuck it off they took it.

(Maybe covid was engineered by Murdoch stooges in the US to help unload the A League from their books? We're through the looking glass people. A nod there to johnsmith, resident nutjob.)

Muz I don't want it to go back to Fox sports but I'm saying Fox sports did a great job when they had optus as well it was generally a fun time staying in watching a league then EPL on a Saturday night 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 22 Apr 2024 12:28 PM
Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2024 11:57 AM

Muz I don't want it to go back to Fox sports but I'm saying Fox sports did a great job when they had optus as well it was generally a fun time staying in watching a league then EPL on a Saturday night 

Understood. I was more venting at flogs on social media calling for it to go back to fox.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

Squidley - 22 Apr 2024 12:23 PM
Foxtel was the best thing that happened to Football in this country.

Its a complete shambles now. The league wanted to stand on its own two feet when in reality its 30 to 40 years from being able to do so.

If the clubs are getting one million each from paramount deal this season (rumoured figure) they need to walk away. Fox Sports were paying 50 million a year for it from Day 1, when there were 8 clubs!

If I'm the APLs I'm genuinely saying to Fox Sports, you can have it back for $20 million a year for the next 3 years. The viewership numbers will increase, guaranteed. 

Paramount has been a genuine disgrace. From the start. 

FOX. DIDN'T. WANT. IT. Repeat after me. FOX. DIDN'T. WANT. IT.

Paramount and 10 were the only mob that bid. The only mob.

9 and 7 said thanks but no thanks.

Your solution besides producing demand and money out of thin air?

Member since 2008.

Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)Super Fan (149 reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2024 1:02 PM

So heres what actually happened. 

When the EPL left foxtel, the goalposts for global football broadcasting into Australia changed dramatically.

Foxtel were happy to pay for the A-league when they had the EPL rights, because one complemented the other, for obvious reasons. You could literally watch the same channel for about 10 hours straight from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning and consume 5 or 6 live games across the A-league/EPL. They were the glory days. 

When the EPL left, Foxtel revisited their strategy, knowing that the A-league were likely going to want either similar or more investment with their next broadcast deal. Without the EPL, they couldn't justify spending that much on the A-league on its own.

To compound this, they have since lost all European football from their networks, with Bein leaving the Foxtel platform. 

You are correct in saying Foxtel didnt want the A-league. They didn't want it at $50 Million+ a season. 

At $20 million a year, and a way to get back into the football business, might just open up a conversation. The A-league isnt worth more than that at the moment. 

Ill reiterate my point. Paramount has been an unmitigated disaster. Foxtel was, and is, a far superior product. and had the best presenters in this country.

Theres three options:

1. Stick with paramount and die as a code. Thats whats happening at the moment. 
2. Get picked up by Optus Sport, who have shown no interest in broadening their portfolio beyond what they have. 
3. Look to go back to Foxtel on a deal that potentially works for both parties. 

I know where i stand. 
Muz
Muz
Legend

Squidley - 22 Apr 2024 1:18 PM

So heres what actually happened. 

When the EPL left foxtel, the goalposts for global football broadcasting into Australia changed dramatically.

Foxtel were happy to pay for the A-league when they had the EPL rights, because one complemented the other, for obvious reasons. You could literally watch the same channel for about 10 hours straight from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning and consume 5 or 6 live games across the A-league/EPL. They were the glory days. 

When the EPL left, Foxtel revisited their strategy, knowing that the A-league were likely going to want either similar or more investment with their next broadcast deal. Without the EPL, they couldn't justify spending that much on the A-league on its own.

To compound this, they have since lost all European football from their networks, with Bein leaving the Foxtel platform. 

You are correct in saying Foxtel didnt want the A-league. They didn't want it at $50 Million+ a season. 

At $20 million a year, and a way to get back into the football business, might just open up a conversation. The A-league isnt worth more than that at the moment. 

Ill reiterate my point. Paramount has been an unmitigated disaster. Foxtel was, and is, a far superior product. and had the best presenters in this country.

Theres three options:

1. Stick with paramount and die as a code. Thats whats happening at the moment. 
2. Get picked up by Optus Sport, who have shown no interest in broadening their portfolio beyond what they have. 
3. Look to go back to Foxtel on a deal that potentially works for both parties. 

I know where i stand. 

And if Fox don't want it for $20 million a year?

Member since 2008.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

yep agree wholeheartedly and in FOX's position I would have done the same, boot out what isn't performing and thats the crux of it all just as they did with ARU.
What business wants to carry on paying out for a under performing product and maybe also originally got done over by Frank paying so so much originally.
I agree as MCG does going back in time it was the best we ever had viewing football on the one medium, I watched more AL then due to the lead up of my beloved EPL as prob many other so called eurosnobs I likely labelled as :) WTFC.
P+ has been a farce and wouldn't bothered downloading it but for APL but too many issues, sick of the crap it delivers hardly watch now but it works on the mobile better than on my smart tv.
I'm still a massive FOX user for alot of my other sports 24/7 for I'm on a top great old package having been a original subscriber.
Its great to use and as Squid mentions, I agree APL crawl back for any deal for many would click back on apart from the usual tight arse's.
FOX and Optus Sport are brilliant sport viewing, I'll keep paying no worries, you get what you pay for.

Love Football

Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan

Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2024 1:23 PM
Squidley - 22 Apr 2024 1:18 PM

And if Fox don't want it for $20 million a year?

Thats obviously the big question here. But that is a bargain basement price. 

I completely understand your position too. Just pointing out that the move to Paramount has failed across the board. 

I personally would love for Foxtel to get the broadcast rights back. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

I heard Stan went for a league but we chose paramount/ten 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

ideally you'd like Optus Sport having AL but they didn't want it as well.

MCG Stan considered only no offer and wanted summer comp only.

P+ - was the only silly mob taking it.

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

LFC. - 22 Apr 2024 2:04 PM
ideally you'd like Optus Sport having AL but they didn't want it as well.

MCG Stan considered only no offer and wanted summer comp only.

P+ - was the only silly mob taking it.

I don't really watch optus so I don't know how they go. I'm nostalgic for Fox sports I think Slater, peacock and bozza were great. Closest I really see to that is Kate abdo and the lads doing champions league everything just feels so sterile and corporate these days 
simione001
simione001
Amateur
Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)

what we need is an organic leagues system/structure like 99% of other countries have. not mcdonalds franchise clubs.

Muz
Muz
Legend

I know it doesn't work for everyone but I have P+ on my phone, tablet and TV and they work fine. I get all the NT stuff, both A-Leagues, the Asian tournaments and all the match replays including highlights and mini matches.

All for the price of a schooner a month.

Just get it. What difference does it actually make on which platform or channel you actually watch it.

Who's actually looking a match on the TV going 'this should be on fox, they'd do a better job'?

It's the same mob broadcasting it and the same commentators. Much ado about nothing. P+ gets hate all out of whack with what they provide. Fox was like $100 a month for even a halfway decent package. P+ is less than $10. 

Member since 2008.

Edited
Last Month by Munrubenmuz
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2024 2:29 PM
I know it doesn't work for everyone but I have P+ on my phone, tablet and TV and they work fine. I get all the NT stuff, both A-Leagues, the Asian tournaments and all the match replays including highlights and mini matches.

Just get it. What difference does it actually make on which platform or channel you actually watch it.

Who's actually looking a match on the TV going 'this should be on fox, they'd do a better job'?

It's the same mob broadcasting it and the same commentators. Much ado about nothing. P+ gets hate all out of whack with what they provide. Fox was like $100 a month for even a halfway decent package. P+ is less than $10. 

Spot on Muz spot on.

I too had Foxtel which cost me $100 a month for the ‘package’ most of which I never watched.

As you say $10 bucks a month for all the OZ football beats anything Foxtel could do.
ps. I’d hate to have Bosnich and Slater back, Peacock was ok but not as good looking as Tara.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

paying 100 for FOX like my bro you were silly as.
Paid full whammy thats why for the complete pack, madness.
10bucks 50 bucks feck all to me for my pleasure - Muz I keep having probs now and then and yes its peanuts but I just can't be bothered much anymore, its a sub standard product compared to Optus/Fox - have no care who commentates, I care watching the match, people like Harper drive me nuts.

Love Football

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I also miss the sbs world game too, the lack of football media is very telling.
West Adelaide Hellas
West Adelaide Hellas
Super Fan
Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)

Paramount is pathetic and I have given up on the week to week lottery of being able to watch a game without some sort of glitch. Not to mention the pre and post game coverage is laughable. 

We need to get onto Kayo, even if it means through ESPN like the NBL has. 

I used to watch every single game on foxtel back in the day. Now you have to push me to even watch Adelaide United (and I have 3 season tickets).

libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)Rising Star (791 reputation)

West Adelaide Hellas - 22 Apr 2024 8:23 PM
Paramount is pathetic and I have given up on the week to week lottery of being able to watch a game without some sort of glitch. Not to mention the pre and post game coverage is laughable. 

We need to get onto Kayo, even if it means through ESPN like the NBL has. 

I used to watch every single game on foxtel back in the day. Now you have to push me to even watch Adelaide United (and I have 3 season tickets).

Why wouldn’t you watch the team you support just because you have a few technological problems with the broadcaster?
Personally I haven’t had a problem with Paramount and at $10 bucks a month for all the Australian football you need it’s a cinch.
Maybe you can share the issues here on the forum and I’m sure people can help you out so that you can enjoy OZ football.

Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star
Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 22 Apr 2024 2:29 PM

I like P+. It's basic but has the features I want. Pause and play and a quick replay when the game is done. It works fine on my phone and easy to cast to the TV. Very affordable too. 

Whether the deal is working for the league is another question I guess. I'd like to see it teamed up on a platform with other football content because I reckon it expands the potential audience. Optus would be good for that. 

I think getting money into the league + getting an audience and growing the audience/game should be the goal. It's hard if no other broadcasters are interested though. 
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star
Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)Rising Star (847 reputation)

Barca4Life - 22 Apr 2024 4:52 PM
I also miss the sbs world game too, the lack of football media is very telling.

I grew up in country Victoria and if it weren't for the world game I doubt I'd have been exposed to football in a way that grabbed me. Johnny Warren is king. It's a huge worry there isn't anything like it anymore. It's not healthy for the game. Would love to see it revived.
West Adelaide Hellas
West Adelaide Hellas
Super Fan
Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)Super Fan (101 reputation)

libelous - 22 Apr 2024 9:49 PM
West Adelaide Hellas - 22 Apr 2024 8:23 PM

Why wouldn’t you watch the team you support just because you have a few technological problems with the broadcaster?
Personally I haven’t had a problem with Paramount and at $10 bucks a month for all the Australian football you need it’s a cinch.
Maybe you can share the issues here on the forum and I’m sure people can help you out so that you can enjoy OZ football.

I have a number of different devices scattered around the house. The only one which works ok is the Apple TV. It is a complete dud on the CCWGTV and hit and miss on Android tv. When the league first went to paramount the only device that worked properly was fetch tv… until they decided to make that unwatchable as well (they actually pulled live games off of fetch tv without even telling anyone). 

Fair play to paramount plus, they emailed me a few months ago and said they know of my issues wish CCWGTV but don’t know how to fix if. I haven’t heard from them since.

I get paramount plus is cheap, it’s cheap for a reason. The coverage is poor, the commentary is done in a studio, there are no features on the app.. it’s just a poor half assed product. 

Ps I have absolutely no issues with any other streaming app. I have gigabit internet connected via Ethernet. 

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Especially miss the world game. Football had a golden era of exposure didnt it?
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

I remember during that time we were deserate for the promised land of free to air. Wish we could go back and talk us out of it haha

Fox probably walked away because it was a diluted product when sbs got the best game each week
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

West Adelaide Hellas - 22 Apr 2024 10:48 PM
libelous - 22 Apr 2024 9:49 PM

I have a number of different devices scattered around the house. The only one which works ok is the Apple TV. It is a complete dud on the CCWGTV and hit and miss on Android tv. When the league first went to paramount the only device that worked properly was fetch tv… until they decided to make that unwatchable as well (they actually pulled live games off of fetch tv without even telling anyone). 

Fair play to paramount plus, they emailed me a few months ago and said they know of my issues wish CCWGTV but don’t know how to fix if. I haven’t heard from them since.

I get paramount plus is cheap, it’s cheap for a reason. The coverage is poor, the commentary is done in a studio, there are no features on the app.. it’s just a poor half assed product. 

Ps I have absolutely no issues with any other streaming app. I have gigabit internet connected via Ethernet. 

Haven't had an issue with Paramount yet, and that's on a range of devices - CCWGTV, Xbox, PC app, iPhone/iPad (and chromecasting as well off that).
Granted, I'm not using Paramount directly, I'm signed up through Amazon Prime, and using their platform.
HappyGuus
HappyGuus
Weekender
Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)

You miss the earlier Fox Sports. Didn't they turn into a pile of shit in their final years covering A-League? Some people say it was worse than P+ is now.

Pre losing the EPL it was fantastic, but let's not pretend to forget the disdain Fox had for A-League after that.

P+ is $90 bucks a year, can't really complain. That's pretty much the same as forking out for attending a single match. Some have no issues with P+, some have a few glitches, some have endlesss problems. Meanwhile Kayo aren't much better, locks up and drops out all the time, but you're forking out $420 bucks a year for that!

https://new.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/1c9d8ti/35_a_month_for_this_rubbish_anyone_else/

We miss the golden days. It doesn't mean going back to Fox or Kayo will be magic again, they've pretty much burnt all their bridges with the sport. Which broadcaster actually loves the sport? Some say that Optus won't want it because they don't want to do the production, well, APL already do their own prodcutions anyway!

A-League diehards have P+, but where is the growth coming from? Who else is signing up for P+?
Optus for other major football. There must be some people there who would add A-League to their following.
Forget converting people with Fox and Kayo.Just start getting football fans back onboard!
And I'd be fine with just one free to air "Match of the Week".

libelous
libelous
Rising Star

How much would people be willing to pay for Optus Sport if the A Leagues were added along with the other football that Paramount shows?
Also what would people pay if it was on Kayo or  Stan bearing in mind that you would have to pay for sports that you weren’t interested in?

I’m led to believe that these other streaming platforms have glitches too so it’s not just a Paramount issue.

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

I think there was another dimension to these Fox demise. My read is that the network gambled on Frank Lowy's vision for the future of the A League and when it didn't eventuate, the opposite in facts, they quite rationally pulled the plug. Initially it looked good and you will recall that the A League metrics were promising, and Fox upped their contribution to the deal. But then Lowy derailed everything with the absurd World Cup bid, one of the few times that Frank let his heart rule his head. The neglect of the A League that ensued began the spiral that the A League is still in, and Fox could see - we all could see - that the future they had invested in was not going to happen, and yes it am sure that losing the EPL was a major factor too, because it meant that there was no possibility of recovering money spent on a terminally declining A League.
This of course is all conjecture, but it is logical conjecture that guys the facts of the situation Fox faced. 

Personally, I believe that there next tv deal will be close to a give away tomorrow keep them comp on air or a streaming model delivered by the APL. Whether that is financially possible we will see. The wheeling and dealing will start in earnest next year.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search