Why is the media so against football?


Why is the media so against football?

Author
Message
No12
No12
Hacker
Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 486, Visits: 0
socceroossupporter wrote:

[B) Football in Australia isn't followed religiously by massive numbers as NRL and AFL are, as they both have had a 70 year head start on football.


So anty football media started 70 years ago. Most migrants from that era arrived from GB and later from Europe. Football was No 1 sport in those countries, there is no way that NRL, AFL and Cricket would have been adopted as No1 sports by new Australians unless media had something to do with it.


socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.1K, Visits: 0
No12 wrote:
socceroossupporter wrote:

[B) Football in Australia isn't followed religiously by massive numbers as NRL and AFL are, as they both have had a 70 year head start on football.


So anty football media started 70 years ago. Most migrants from that era arrived from GB and later from Europe. Football was No 1 sport in those countries, there is no way that NRL, AFL and Cricket would have been adopted as No1 sports by new Australians unless media had something to do with it.



Anty! :)


I think you're just making this stuff up now. I can overlook the paranoid speculation, but seriously, cricket? You do realize cricket and RL come from England, right?
No12
No12
Hacker
Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)Hacker (491 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 486, Visits: 0
OK so why did the other two + AFL take off and Football did not?
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.1K, Visits: 0
RicOz wrote:
In the end, there is no big loss with football not being covered as much as the other codes. You and I love football, so why do you really want to attract the part timers to follow the sport?

It would be good if we could attract more players to the A-League and make it more popular, but the fact is NRL and AFL are the top leagues of their sport. The A-League is on par with English First Divison. So at the moment the only way football can get on the map in this country is by showing more Socceroos.


I think it would be detrimental for football in Australia if it didn't have bandwagon support. The 'purists' are absolutely destroying the game in Australia. They're their own worst enemy.

I think if the A-League somehow raised their standards and started making staying in Australia attractive to home-grown superstars, then the game would take off. Unfortunately, this doesn't look like the case. As the league is not rich enough to keep them at home.
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.1K, Visits: 0
No12 wrote:
OK so why did the other two + AFL take off and Football did not?


A) Australian football (Aussie Rules) was created before association football and had already established itself as the number 1 code in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia long before British people actually spread the gospel of football.
B) Cricket and Rugby League are British sports and it was a lot easier adapting to the already established sports than to create new leagues themselves.

A lot simpler explanations than playing the media blame game.
Villaboy
Villaboy
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 4.2K, Visits: 0
socceroossupporter wrote:
RicOz wrote:
In the end, there is no big loss with football not being covered as much as the other codes. You and I love football, so why do you really want to attract the part timers to follow the sport?

It would be good if we could attract more players to the A-League and make it more popular, but the fact is NRL and AFL are the top leagues of their sport. The A-League is on par with English First Divison. So at the moment the only way football can get on the map in this country is by showing more Socceroos.


I think it would be detrimental for football in Australia if it didn't have bandwagon support. The 'purists' are absolutely destroying the game in Australia. They're their own worst enemy.

I think if the A-League somehow raised their standards and started making staying in Australia attractive to home-grown superstars, then the game would take off. Unfortunately, this doesn't look like the case. As the league is not rich enough to keep them at home.


And the only way this will is happen with more money, which comes from advertising, which comes from the media, which brings us back to the fact that the media has vested interests in keeping football away from the mainstream. Thank you for backing up the arguments against your comments.
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.1K, Visits: 0
Villaboy wrote:

And the only way this will is happen with more money, which comes from advertising, which comes from the media, which brings us back to the fact that the media has vested interests in keeping football away from the mainstream. Thank you for backing up the arguments against your comments.


lol. Nice little rant there.

So it's the only way for football to succeed in Australia, is it? Through undeserved/gift-rapped advertising and coverage?

Oh ye of little faith.

I would say that quite simply, football's success in Australia hinges on good performances by our national team. It's sad, but true. If the socceroos win the Asian Cup, football's popularity would get a lot better.

As far as backing up the arguments against my comments, that's simply not true.

Edited by socceroossupporter: 19/7/2010 02:33:51 PM
AndyRoo
AndyRoo
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 1.3K, Visits: 0
socceroossupporter wrote:


I think it would be detrimental for football in Australia if it didn't have bandwagon support. The 'purists' are absolutely destroying the game in Australia. They're their own worst enemy.

I think if the A-League somehow raised their standards and started making staying in Australia attractive to home-grown superstars, then the game would take off. Unfortunately, this doesn't look like the case. As the league is not rich enough to keep them at home.



I agree with the first paragraph



kapow!
kapow!
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.9K, Visits: 0
Decentric wrote:
kapow! wrote:

There is a difference between what you're saying and what the OP is suggesting, which was that there is a campaign against the game. I think its more about interest levels which is why we need to have more broad based teams at all levels of the game to generate community support and we also need to get the a-league on free to air to sell the clubs to the mainstream.

Currently we have traditional supporters plus foxtel viewers which is only 20-30% of Australians max getting a view of our top league which results in less interest and less coverage in the general media.


Edited by kapow!: 12/7/2010 09:34:32 PM



Sorry, Mr Football /Kapow, you have presented an anti-football media case for some time on this forum.

I happen to know a football journo, who had no end of difficulty with the anti-football agenda of his editor, and sports editor. They had been instructed by the owners to give limited coverage to football, the sport with the biggest number of participants in the state. There was always plenty of scope for bad news football stories. It has always been easy for back page coverage.

Where I live the media has been obsessed with promoting AFL during the World Cup.

Here are the type of stories we hear:

AFL making a big splash in South Africa.

More AFL needed in Tasmania.

AFL will be played at Bellerive.

Tasmania AFL under 6s win national second division carnival, is closer to the back page that the World Cup.

The Riewoldts, greatest athletes the world has ever seen, better than any Olympian in the history of the Olympics.

AFL a major sport in Japan, South Africa, the USA, England - next stop -AFL played on Mars!

AFL bad boys of the AFL, impregnating sheep, copulating with cormorants, shooting up washing powder, fornicating with minors, punching each others' lights out - get the drift?
Gossip about AFL players, where barely a soul in NSW, let alone the rest of the world, even recognises any AFL footballer, takes precedence over the biggest four yearly sports event in the world.

Baby boomer journalists, whose speciality is writing on other issues, have made fatuous comments demonstrating ignorance about their interpretation of football at the World Cup, and how lucky we are having AFL to watch instead. The inverse perspective to their claptrap is that the rest of the world is obsessed by football and actually understands the nuances of it.

I am also a cricket supporter. There has been no radio coverage on the ABC in Australiafor the Pakistan/Australia test series when club games of AFL are on in Australia.


So Kapow you are talking a lot of gobbledygook. You are probably employed by one of the anti-football media outlets.

Edited by Decentric: 19/7/2010 12:53:34 AM



Couple of things you should be aware of are:
- I've commented in two topics about it this apparent bias, thats all.
- I am not some apparent longterm troll, i am barely interested in posting on this forum as it is.
- I have spent most of my life in Melbourne, so am perfectly aware of the media coverage, i am only sent all over the place now because of work.

As for your rambling post, you have linked high AFL coverage with the assumption that proves there is a campaign against soccer, which is an illogical conclusion. Instead you need to provide evidence or reasoning to support an anti-soccer campaign if you believe it exists, until you do that its an unreasonable assumption.

The most logical explanation of course is AFL has marketed itself as a broad based high interest sport for many years and as a result has generated high mainstream interest which results in high media coverage by organisations whose aim it is to either sell their newspapers or increase their ratings.

kapow!
kapow!
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.9K, Visits: 0
Decentric wrote:
Even journos working in the industry believe there is a conspiracy against football.

Simply put, the volume of stories about what AFL stars eat for breakfast, being filmed at airports catching planes, who is having affairs with who, all these stories can take precedence over reporting of football matches which are actually taking place.

A few years ago a football statistician studied a local paper over a month. He examined the column space taken up by cricket, football, AFL, swimming, etcetera. This was in November, which was when AFL is not even played. The football season in Australia and overseas was in high season.

AFL still got about four times as much coverage as football. Of the football coverage there was also an incredible bias against Australian football in Australia. It only achieved 25% of all football coverage.

I wrote the rest of two articles for the local branch of the FFA which was placed on their website and publicised.

It seems some stakeholders in the media here can tolerate football overseas, but not in their own back yard.


The one time the local game got coverage a few months ago, was when the football federation was having problems with CEOs constantly resigning. The local paper gave it full back page coverage. Far bigger than any Socceroo matches at the World Cup.

Edited by Decentric: 19/7/2010 09:01:33 AM


How unfortunate for you that even once he's explained it quite simply and logically that you come up with this ramble as a response.
kapow!
kapow!
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.9K, Visits: 0
socceroossupporter wrote:
Villaboy wrote:

And the only way this will is happen with more money, which comes from advertising, which comes from the media, which brings us back to the fact that the media has vested interests in keeping football away from the mainstream. Thank you for backing up the arguments against your comments.


lol. Nice little rant there.

So it's the only way for football to succeed in Australia, is it? Through undeserved/gift-rapped advertising and coverage?

Oh ye of little faith.

I would say that quite simply, football's success in Australia hinges on good performances by our national team. It's sad, but true. If the socceroos win the Asian Cup, football's popularity would get a lot better.

As far as backing up the arguments against my comments, that's simply not true.

Edited by socceroossupporter: 19/7/2010 02:33:51 PM


I've dealt with villaboy before A-class moron unfortunately that’s incapable of presenting a logical argument.
kapow!
kapow!
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.9K, Visits: 0
socceroossupporter wrote:
RicOz wrote:
In the end, there is no big loss with football not being covered as much as the other codes. You and I love football, so why do you really want to attract the part timers to follow the sport?

It would be good if we could attract more players to the A-League and make it more popular, but the fact is NRL and AFL are the top leagues of their sport. The A-League is on par with English First Divison. So at the moment the only way football can get on the map in this country is by showing more Socceroos.


I think it would be detrimental for football in Australia if it didn't have bandwagon support. The 'purists' are absolutely destroying the game in Australia. They're their own worst enemy.

I think if the A-League somehow raised their standards and started making staying in Australia attractive to home-grown superstars, then the game would take off. Unfortunately, this doesn't look like the case. As the league is not rich enough to keep them at home.


Your first paragraph is spot on, you only have to look as some of the morons on here that are so bitter and claim to support the game but want to preserve ethnic clubs and don’t support the a-league despite it being the best thing for the game ever. They seem to ignore that half of the melbourne victory’s members are actually AFL members as well, its as if its impossible for someone to like more than one sport.

Second paragraph also true, one of the main challenges the game will always have apart from the social aspects is that if you want to watch the *best* then you can just switch on the TV, its a similar problem with the NBL. However with a strong emphasis on youth development and a more broad based system i see no reason why we cant develop a solid niche market, but i dont think we will ever take over AFL or NRL because they are the best of what those sports have to offer.


Edited by kapow!: 19/7/2010 10:52:27 PM
Gotheberries
Gotheberries
Rising Star
Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)Rising Star (867 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 841, Visits: 0
Just a couple of points!

Totally agree the old soccer supporters are doing more damage to local Football than the anti-football media because of the fact they are not supporting the A League. They have their reasons but if they all turned up to A League games the stadiums would be full and the media would have to give it more air time.

Your criticism of the A League seems a little strange though. In one breath your saying the quality of the League is low because the best players are going overseas. I would think if that’s the case why are overseas clubs interested in our players if they are playing and a low quality league. You can’t have it both ways.

Also you guys are constantly asking for proof that the AFL is conspiring to stop the growth of Football. Simon Hill, a couple of 442 issues ago, talks about the how the AFL is putting pressure on Melbourne radio stations to reduce the Football content or they will take their advertising dollars elsewhere. If that’s not proof I don’t know what is!


skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 3.6K, Visits: 0
Quote:
you only have to look as some of the morons on here that are so bitter and claim to support the game but want to preserve ethnic clubs and don’t support the a-league despite it being the best thing for the game ever.


One could be led to conclude bitterness also extends to those appearing to have ownership of a paranoia regarding ethic involvement in administration of clubs at all levels of Australian football, in using opportunism to retain the subject in regular debate.

One could also believe, and in my opinion be correct in doing so, the most fervent in their resentment of other Australian sporting leagues are the hard line aleague supporters along with specialist football media commentators and press journalists. Look no further for an example than the preoccupation in the football sections if this forum with the posting of every AFL fart, sneeze and snippet of gossip.

Personally, I've played many different sports and still like them all. In saying so, I also doubt very much I'm far removed from the majority of sports minded Australians. The politics of human nature and fear of ostracism from over zealous, self labeled 'purists' in different sports, can, and does give surety to many others following a somewhat myopic, exclusive vision of what the world should be.

The assertion an individual should-must-is morally bound, or any other label of choice, actively support the aleague to support Australian football, is ridiculous in the extreme. I support the league in mind but not body, as geography prevents the choice. However, I might not do so if opportunity allowed that choice when my interest and all my spare time is given to grass roots football.

Hell, on Saturday, just like the unseen countless others in grass roots football, myself and others were at the local sports fields 2 hours before kick off, setting up nets ect, packing up for an hour late in the day, and on Sunday attending the local RL games at the same field.

In the last few months our football club, together with the RL club officials, organised the playing of both the senior football and RL clubs to play on an irregular basis on adjoining pitches, on the same day, at the same time, to assist each other with an atmosphere similar to that of a sports carnival, attempt to attract more kids to participate in sport and thumb our respective noses at any perceived barriers. It's been very successful in both increased attendance and involvement.

In finishing, I will argue till I'm blue in the face, the countless people in this country involved in grass roots in a similar fashion, contribute to the sport to an invaluable level, highly disproportionate in a comparison with those that choose to purchase an regular aleague entry ticket or club membership. However, particular methods of active or even passive support for Australian football should not be discounted by downgrading their value with the labeling of their commitment and worth to the sport.
The colour doesn't matter, nor should it.

Edited by skeptic: 20/7/2010 12:05:05 PM

Edited by skeptic: 20/7/2010 11:22:13 PM
Arthur
Arthur
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 4.7K, Visits: 0
Gotheberries wrote:
Just a couple of points!

Totally agree the old soccer supporters are doing more damage to local Football than the anti-football media because of the fact they are not supporting the A League. They have their reasons but if they all turned up to A League games the stadiums would be full and the media would have to give it more air time.




I thought crowds at the NSL were crap any way so would it make a difference?

Secondly to rebut your statement I can tell you that in Melbourne many spectators at NSL matches are following A-League.

I don't know about Sydney, but isn't there a lot of comment about how far it is for people in the football heartland of West Sydney to go to SFS. Thats why there is high expectations for Rovers.

In Brisbane I would think most of the 3,000 souls that watched the strikers are at Roar matches. Once the bank extended them credit for a season pass that is.:d

Do we need to mention Adelaide?

So Perth must really be the problem as their crowds are down since the A-League started.


Its the ones who turned up to watch Everton or LA Galaxy or 60K to watch NZ at the MCG and their probably not the types to post here on 442.
This is the hidden market Buckley talks about and the one franchises like Melbourne Heart are supposed to attract not the "old supporters".

Edited by Arthur: 20/7/2010 03:50:14 PM
Villaboy
Villaboy
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 4.2K, Visits: 0
kapow! wrote:
socceroossupporter wrote:
Villaboy wrote:

And the only way this will is happen with more money, which comes from advertising, which comes from the media, which brings us back to the fact that the media has vested interests in keeping football away from the mainstream. Thank you for backing up the arguments against your comments.


lol. Nice little rant there.

So it's the only way for football to succeed in Australia, is it? Through undeserved/gift-rapped advertising and coverage?

Oh ye of little faith.

I would say that quite simply, football's success in Australia hinges on good performances by our national team. It's sad, but true. If the socceroos win the Asian Cup, football's popularity would get a lot better.

As far as backing up the arguments against my comments, that's simply not true.

Edited by socceroossupporter: 19/7/2010 02:33:51 PM


I've dealt with villaboy before A-class moron unfortunately that’s incapable of presenting a logical argument.



I am not the one people call "Mr football" dickhead.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 22K, Visits: 0
kapow! wrote:
i

Couple of things you should be aware of are:
- I've commented in two topics about it this apparent bias, thats all.
- I am not some apparent longterm troll, i am barely interested in posting on this forum as it is.
- I have spent most of my life in Melbourne, so am perfectly aware of the media coverage, i am only sent all over the place now because of work.

As for your rambling post, you have linked high AFL coverage with the assumption that proves there is a campaign against soccer, which is an illogical conclusion. Instead you need to provide evidence or reasoning to support an anti-soccer campaign if you believe it exists, until you do that its an unreasonable assumption.

The most logical explanation of course is AFL has marketed itself as a broad based high interest sport for many years and as a result has generated high mainstream interest which results in high media coverage by organisations whose aim it is to either sell their newspapers or increase their ratings.


I've already provided evidence based criteria for positing that most media outlets in Australia give less column space to football than they should.

The column space argument derived in the local rag owned by Murdoch is empirically verifiable data, which is irrefutable. It was gathered over a month at a time of the year when AFL it was in abeyance.

A year or two ago, Richard Colebatch (economics editor) , writing in The Age, collated statistics of 5-14 year olds playing sport. He found that as many young Australians played soccer, as AFL, League, Union and touch football combined. At the same time he concluded there was little extrapolation to media coverage for the sport given its high popularity.

Moreover, in the Sweeney report, it found soccer was only just behind swimming, tennis, AFL and cricket as Australia's most popular sports according to suveys of adults in the six capiatl cities.

I think this presents a compelling case for what I've previously advanced.

Kapow, where are your alternative sources substantiating that there is no bias towards AFL?


con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.1K, Visits: 0
Quote:
Edited by Decentric: 19/7/2010 12:53:34 AM


Your statements’ are accurate

Don’t worry about arguing with the Bogans in here they are like the Bogans out there

As an aside the bogan crash Craddick ( sic ) stated on the back page fox sports program last night “ isn’t it funny how ALL of the soccer stories we put on our program always have an element of problems ( i.e. player attacking referee in south America )”

Another fucking Bogan

I sincerely believe that they believe their own hype =p~
Mister Football
Mister Football
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Posts: 3.8K, Visits: 0
Decentric

Not that I care too much, just thought I would let you know that I am not Kapow!

Not having read the whole thread, I probably lean to his side that the media will run stories that ultimately appeal to their readership, or will attract more readers.

Any notion that the media is somehow biased towards the AFL, while at the same time acting against its own commercial interest, is an extremely silly notion.

If you want to make money, you go and cover the biggest comp in the land.

Yours truly

Mister Football

Edited by Mister Football: 21/7/2010 05:30:01 PM
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 17K, Visits: 0
Mister Football wrote:
Decentric

Not that I care too much, just thought I would let you know that I am not Kapow!

Not having read the whole thread, I probably lean to his side that the media will run stories that ultimately appeal to their readership, or will attract more readers.

Any notion that the media is somehow biased towards the AFL, while at the same time acting against its own commercial interest, is an extremely silly notion.

If you want to make money, you go and cover the biggest comp in the land.

Yours truly

Mister Football

Edited by Mister Football: 21/7/2010 05:30:01 PM

It is pretty obvious that Kapow! isn't Pips - thought it was a strange conclusion to reach, Decentic is normally better than that.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and part of The Cove FC

con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.1K, Visits: 0
Quote:
Yours truly

Mister Football


Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hi bse

I know that you really love the best game in the world ;)
bypopulardemand
bypopulardemand
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 1.6K, Visits: 0
Mister Football wrote:
Decentric

Not that I care too much, just thought I would let you know that I am not Kapow!

Not having read the whole thread, I probably lean to his side that the media will run stories that ultimately appeal to their readership, or will attract more readers.

Any notion that the media is somehow biased towards the AFL, while at the same time acting against its own commercial interest, is an extremely silly notion.

If you want to make money, you go and cover the biggest comp in the land.

Yours truly

Mister Football

Edited by Mister Football: 21/7/2010 05:30:01 PM


Thought you promised ](*,)
girtXc
girtXc
World Class
World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 8.7K, Visits: 0
Barkly StBS and all his multis posted in the one afternoon](*,)
The Edude of 442:oops:

He's only come here because the highlight of his life-the anti football sub forum at big foody(with 400 threads-about 200 started by him)has been moved to the back blocks as it no longer has any relevance at all with Barkly repeating himself again and again and again.
Hes so popular that he started his own blog and after a few years hes already had 1 person favourite his site.
Incredibly popular bloke
kapow!
kapow!
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.9K, Visits: 0
Decentric wrote:
kapow! wrote:
i

Couple of things you should be aware of are:
- I've commented in two topics about it this apparent bias, thats all.
- I am not some apparent longterm troll, i am barely interested in posting on this forum as it is.
- I have spent most of my life in Melbourne, so am perfectly aware of the media coverage, i am only sent all over the place now because of work.

As for your rambling post, you have linked high AFL coverage with the assumption that proves there is a campaign against soccer, which is an illogical conclusion. Instead you need to provide evidence or reasoning to support an anti-soccer campaign if you believe it exists, until you do that its an unreasonable assumption.

The most logical explanation of course is AFL has marketed itself as a broad based high interest sport for many years and as a result has generated high mainstream interest which results in high media coverage by organisations whose aim it is to either sell their newspapers or increase their ratings.


I've already provided evidence based criteria for positing that most media outlets in Australia give less column space to football than they should.

The column space argument derived in the local rag owned by Murdoch is empirically verifiable data, which is irrefutable. It was gathered over a month at a time of the year when AFL it was in abeyance.

A year or two ago, Richard Colebatch (economics editor) , writing in The Age, collated statistics of 5-14 year olds playing sport. He found that as many young Australians played soccer, as AFL, League, Union and touch football combined. At the same time he concluded there was little extrapolation to media coverage for the sport given its high popularity.

Moreover, in the Sweeney report, it found soccer was only just behind swimming, tennis, AFL and cricket as Australia's most popular sports according to suveys of adults in the six capiatl cities.

I think this presents a compelling case for what I've previously advanced.

Kapow, where are your alternative sources substantiating that there is no bias towards AFL?




I dont need sources to substantiate that there is no bias towards AFL because i'm not making a case for it, infact they probably are biased towards them, but its because they’re trying to milk every dollar out of their viewers or readers. That was the basis of my point, the logical explanation for high AFL coverage is due to high interest levels from the public, assuming there is a anti-soccer campaign doesn’t make sense.

One of the things you might be confusing an anit-soccer media campaign with is AFL or specialised sport writers coming out with pot shots at the game during world cups for instance, their motivation would be because their job is supported by a strong AFL industry and because they are somewhat foreign to the sport. Those sorts of snipes are not consistent with a media campaign against the sport.


As for your points:
-High sport participation levels does not mean there is high interest and therefore high media coverage, some sports are spectator sports others are participant sports or both. For instance netball has high participation but low spectator interest.

-High AFL content in columns doesn’t mean anything, people in victoria are interested in AFL and whats going on.

There is a lot of upside to our game considering we haven’t even been selling it in the right format for any more than 5 years, but we shouldnt be blaming others or expecting a free ride, we'll get coverage when we earn it.

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 12K, Visits: 0
kapow! wrote:
No12 wrote:
Kapow wrote:
There is no anti-football media the idea is in your head.

I do not agree with your comment!

In Australia there is very little positive in mainstream media written about football, most of the times not even all goals from a match are shown (Uruguay V Germany 2:3; Germany v Argentina 4:0 ...)high scoring games and chenal 7,9,10 very little reporting, than Australian qualifiers for exsample,very littel compared with cricket Pura Cup hardly anyone in the stands, even Rugby League games get less crowds than Sydney FC. I could not attand Sydney FC v Everton game and if it was not for FFTA forum I was not able to find out the score from TV News so colled sport reports. FFA and FNSW have to invest so much more in to advertisment of football in this coutry/ state to brake down media barriers otherwise The World Game will be forever a Europien, South American and now little bit African and Asian game on this continent.


Pura cup doesnt get any coverage what are you on about? Rugby league has huge interest it is a television sport not a spectator sport, their crowds arent relevant. If it rates it will get airtime just like the socceroos get good coverage while other areas of the game get comparatively poor coverage such as a-league and overseas teams because they don’t rate as high.



You might want to tell the 3.4 million that went to NRL games in 2009 that it is a TV sport and they should stay home.

Just to remind you again... your game, AFL, is only a minor sport in the two states that make up 55% of Australia's population.



Edited by gyfox: 22/7/2010 12:56:57 AM
kapow!
kapow!
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.9K, Visits: 0
Gyfox wrote:
kapow! wrote:
No12 wrote:
Kapow wrote:
There is no anti-football media the idea is in your head.

I do not agree with your comment!

In Australia there is very little positive in mainstream media written about football, most of the times not even all goals from a match are shown (Uruguay V Germany 2:3; Germany v Argentina 4:0 ...)high scoring games and chenal 7,9,10 very little reporting, than Australian qualifiers for exsample,very littel compared with cricket Pura Cup hardly anyone in the stands, even Rugby League games get less crowds than Sydney FC. I could not attand Sydney FC v Everton game and if it was not for FFTA forum I was not able to find out the score from TV News so colled sport reports. FFA and FNSW have to invest so much more in to advertisment of football in this coutry/ state to brake down media barriers otherwise The World Game will be forever a Europien, South American and now little bit African and Asian game on this continent.


Pura cup doesnt get any coverage what are you on about? Rugby league has huge interest it is a television sport not a spectator sport, their crowds arent relevant. If it rates it will get airtime just like the socceroos get good coverage while other areas of the game get comparatively poor coverage such as a-league and overseas teams because they don’t rate as high.



You might want to tell the 3.4 million that went to NRL games in 2009 that it is a TV sport and they should stay home.

Just to remind you again... your game, AFL, is only a minor sport in the two states that make up 55% of Australia's population.



Edited by gyfox: 22/7/2010 12:56:57 AM



The person who quoted my post was arguing that sydney FC got higher crowds than some rugby league teams so therefore should of recieved more news coverage, i was simply pointy out that crowds do not represents RL's support levels as it has a high TV viewing audience, therefore high news coverage. If you disagree with that then you are wrong. If you thought it was a shot at RL then you were also wrong.


Edited by kapow!: 22/7/2010 01:43:52 AM
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 12K, Visits: 0
I was simply pointing out the fact that you were incorrect in saying that the NRL is not a spectator sport and that their crowds are irrelevant.
girtXc
girtXc
World Class
World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 8.7K, Visits: 0
Kapow/Misterfootball/barklystreebullshit/skeptic/socceroossupporter
just bugger off back to big foody,or alternately go back to your blog where you have a massive loyal following of 1 person

skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 3.6K, Visits: 0
girtXc wrote:
Kapow/Misterfootball/barklystreebullshit/skeptic/socceroossupporter
just bugger off back to big foody,or alternately go back to your blog where you have a massive loyal following of 1 person


If you still insist with the ridiculous notion i'm a multi of a poster i consistently and fervently disagree with in my posts, you are either a twerp with little skill of comprehension, or a one of the many teens whose balls are yet to drop. Or maybe it's a combination of those, together your oft displayed poor literacy skills and inability to debate that leads you to attempt to destroy the credibility of the arguer rather than the argument.

What do you do when someone disagrees with you when in your company? Grow some brain cells and debate like a man, tell them they're opinion doesn't matter because they're in disguise or lock yourself in your room and have a tantrum? I'd tend to think mummy gave little girt his own way far too often.


con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2.1K, Visits: 0
girtXc wrote:
Kapow/Misterfootball/barklystreebullshit/skeptic/socceroossupporter
just bugger off back to big foody,or alternately go back to your blog where you have a massive loyal following of 1 person


if that is a photograph of Misterfootball/barklystreetend then he looks surprisingly normal :-k
GO


Select a Forum....























Inside Sport


Search