The University Thread.

The University Thread.

Author
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Bonkers wrote:
Arts at University of Melbourne will probably be my top preference next year.

See you there, although I'm not going to defer. Looking at doing Arts and majoring in Creative Writing or Media and Communications
da640
da640
Amateur
Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)Amateur (696 reputation)

dale1878 wrote:
I'm studying at University of Wollongong, in my first year of a Bachelor of Journalism, possibly becoming a double with B. International Studies later on.

CCM4LIFE wrote:
No idea what I want to do. Tossing up between BA (Media & Communications) @ Usyd, Arts/Law @ Usyd, Arts/Commerce @ Usyd, Journalism/Law @ UTS.

I actually don't know if I want to do journalism, law, marketing... Tbh I'd just love to be a football journalist but that's probably not going to happen.

If you want a tip: take a B. Journalism ahead of BA (M&Comm).
Journalism courses are about teaching you how to write, as opposed to teaching you all this theory waffle. At UOW, you can take most BCM classes as Philosophy classes (BCM106=PHIL106, etc) because they're all "media philosophy" etc. Jour is more dedicated to getting out there and writing real stories about your town, as opposed to looking at how other stories are constructed.

On the flipside, marketing is really interesting. Some of the stuff they get to watch... =d>

Also mention that the majority of marketing is girls at wollongong :d Complete opposite of the dude fest 4 years i spent in the engineering faculty

Edited by da640: 26/10/2010 12:09:13 PM
CCM4LIFE
CCM4LIFE
Rising Star
Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)

dale1878 wrote:
CCM4LIFE wrote:
No idea what I want to do. Tossing up between BA (Media & Communications) @ Usyd, Arts/Law @ Usyd, Arts/Commerce @ Usyd, Journalism/Law @ UTS.

I actually don't know if I want to do journalism, law, marketing... Tbh I'd just love to be a football journalist but that's probably not going to happen.

Journalism courses are about teaching you how to write, as opposed to teaching you all this theory waffle. At UOW, you can take most BCM classes as Philosophy classes (BCM106=PHIL106, etc) because they're all "media philosophy" etc. Jour is more dedicated to getting out there and writing real stories about your town, as opposed to looking at how other stories are constructed.

On the flipside, marketing is really interesting. Some of the stuff they get to watch... =d>

Yeah that's what I'm thinking... but I'd like to do a double degree. Maybe go into business. I told you I had no idea what to do! I want to go to Usyd or UTS. Macquarie isn't good for what I want to go into and UNSW and UWS would be a nightmare for me to get to.

I'd love to go to the University of Melbourne actually. But I don't know if my parents would be keen on me moving interstate to go to uni...
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Funky Munky wrote:
Bachelor of Creative Technology (Audio Engineering and Sound Production) at JMC Academy.

Did AV at RMIT myself.
thewestisland
thewestisland
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

dale1878 wrote:
I'm studying at University of Wollongong, in my first year of a Bachelor of Journalism, possibly becoming a double with B. International Studies later on.

CCM4LIFE wrote:

Marketing is tops. It's awesome to be studying a subject where watching funny and effective TV ads on youtube is a legitimate form of study :p
skipppy
skipppy
Amateur
Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)Amateur (738 reputation)

bachelor of arts majoring in security, terrorism and counterterrorism doing it by correspondance out of murdoch, started a bachelor of business a few years ago hated it dropped out after first semester and went and travelled and lived overseas.
Dugongs
Dugongs
Rising Star
Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)

I'm completing a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Education, majoring in in ancient history. I'm at the University of Sydney Camperdown/Darlington campus. I'm going to teach History/Geography.
Bonkers
Bonkers
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
If I did arts id psych, criminology, anthropology, sociology, philosophy, just stuff like that which Id find interesting. With the intention of doing a JD or honours + masters afterwards. Ive also thought about arts at monash then transferring to arts/law. Or I could probably get into Deakin straight off the bat if I put in a little work in the next 3 weeks. I think right now (literally this instant) thanks to this post/thread im finding motivation to study for my exams next week. :D
but of course I have to check and reply to every unread thread here first :S
Hawks
Hawks
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Arts is a real degree?? :lol:

Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Hawks wrote:

Arts is the only real degree. University wasn't originally started as a way to get a better job mate. It was started as a way to develop yourself as a person ](*,)
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Anyone know how the enrolment process to Macquarine Uni is? I'll be enrolling as a mature age student and am not sure where to go, there seem to be alot of options..
manufan4life
manufan4life
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Im planning on doing a Bachelor of Commerce at either Wollongong or Newcastle. Any recommendations about these unis. Ive got early entry into Wollongong but my missus wants to go to Newey so im still going for the ATAR.
Hawks
Hawks
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Draupnir wrote:
Hawks wrote:

Arts is the only real degree. University wasn't originally started as a way to get a better job mate. It was started as a way to develop yourself as a person ](*,)

I was just being cheeky lol.
I know university is all about
furthering our cognitive thinking skills ;)

I mean it's not like Arts is a Communications degree anyway :-"
thewestisland
thewestisland
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Anyone know what Deakin is like? As in location, size, facilities etc. Also, anyone know what the cost of living is for a student in the surrounding area?
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Hawks wrote:
Draupnir wrote:
Hawks wrote:

I was just being cheeky lol.
I know university is all about
furthering our cognitive thinking skills ;)

I mean it's not like Arts is a Communications degree anyway :-"

Haha yeah I know mate some of the classifications are a bit worrying :D
raspberryticklebear
raspberryticklebear
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

this thread is just making me jealous of all you lucky bastards who are finally out of school and having some freedom. Starting from next year, i've still got another 5 years of school ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

raspberryticklebear wrote:
this thread is just making me jealous of all you lucky bastards who are finally out of school and having some freedom. Starting from next year, i've still got another 5 years of school ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Trust me on this one mate. I know school sucks and it's hard and feels like it's a waste of time, but do as best as you can whilst at school, and appreciate the time being young.. Cause when you're out, it doesn't get much easier unless your parents are loaded :P

Edited by Draupnir: 26-10-2010 04:06:25
Hawks
Hawks
Semi-Pro

You don't have a clue kid.
High School is where you have the most freedom in all your life.
Where else do you not have to work,Write a few things in a book, have breaks for lunch and recess and if you really don't feel like doing anything just turn up to class and get yelled at a little.
Once you leave you realize that it's the most easiest time you will ever have in life.
CCM4LIFE
CCM4LIFE
Rising Star
Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)Rising Star (763 reputation)

Draupnir wrote:

Trust me on this one mate. I know school sucks and hard and feels like it's a waste of time, but do as best as you can whilst as school, and appreciate the time being young.. Cause when you're out, it doesn't get much easier unless your parents are loaded :P

This.

I'm in my last year of high school and I actually never want it to end. The last few years are great because you have all the freedom of being an adult, without the responsibilities.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Exactly right CCM4. Enjoy it while it lasts.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

CCM4LIFE wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

Trust me on this one mate. I know school sucks and hard and feels like it's a waste of time, but do as best as you can whilst as school, and appreciate the time being young.. Cause when you're out, it doesn't get much easier unless your parents are loaded :P

This.

I'm in my last year of high school and I actually never want it to end. The last few years are great because you have all the freedom of being an adult, without the responsibilities.

+1. I'm kind of upset it's over next Monday:lol:

I guess I that's why I'm, gonna do High School teaching because I like it so much:lol: :lol:
raspberryticklebear
raspberryticklebear
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

CCM4LIFE wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

This.

well hopefully then its just year 7 that sucks.
Im not saying school is better than being a full time responsible adult, through my eyes it looks like the best part is when you just leave school, have a gap year and got to uni.
manufan4life
manufan4life
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

CCM4LIFE wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

This.

Im not saying school is better than being a full time responsible adult, through my eyes it looks like the best part is when you just leave school, have a gap year and got to uni.
Gotta agree with the others, i finished school this year and i miss it already. Just starting full time work for a year aswell and im over it already. Theres no point having a gap year unless ur gunna work your arse off or go on holidays. Enjoy it while you can, cause i gurantee you'll miss it
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Heh trust me again mate, absolutely everyone thinks the same thing when they are in year 7.. But when you finally get out of school, it's not much but a kick in the arse for the next 5 years, unless you are in really favourable circumstances heh.

I'm sure most of the guys that've agreed with what I said above only wish that they had so many people as you do to reinforce it to them, heh. I know I do.
raspberryticklebear
raspberryticklebear
Pro

manufan4life wrote:
CCM4LIFE wrote:
Draupnir wrote:

This.

Gotta agree with the others, i finished school this year and i miss it already. Just starting full time work for a year aswell and im over it already. Theres no point having a gap year unless ur gunna work your arse off or go on holidays. Enjoy it while you can, cause i gurantee you'll miss it

well ive got my eyes set on travelling all over the world. I reckon the last few years of high school will be awesome, and then uni and a gap year.
I'd like to do some backpacking for like half of the gap year, with a few friends
thewestisland
thewestisland
Pro

Even on this side of the Tasman 'junior' high is pants, but when you get into high school there is all the freedom with about 1 day a week of actual working time.

University (over here at least) pretty much equates to living in poverty unless your parents are loaded. While you have fun and meet great people it is ultimately a means to an end, and when you hit second and third year you just want it to be over (probably how you feel about school). The most exciting thing for me about being at uni is that my objectives have changed. I no longer want to meet people, get smashed every night and get crazy with as many girls as possible. Instead, I am excited about getting a good job, buying a house, finding a missus, and having kids. It's weird because some of my mates are still where my head was at before and get pretty stroppy when I turn E because I don't really want it, or only have 3 or 4 beers because I have class the next day.

In short, chin up little chief. You'll be surprised how much better things get and how much yourself and the people around you will change over the next few years. Enjoy school while you're there, it's excellent.

Edited by thewestisland: 26/10/2010 04:23:39 PM
socceroos_fan
socceroos_fan
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Planning to study at Maquarie Uni (SFC train there :P) to do a Bachelor of International Studies and hopefully study in Russia. Will probs combine it with another degree as well.
Hawks
Hawks
Semi-Pro

thewestisland wrote:
Even on this side of the Tasman 'junior' high is pants, but when you get into high school there is all the freedom with about 1 day a week of actual working time.

University (over here at least) pretty much equates to living in poverty unless your parents are loaded. While you have fun and meet great people it is ultimately a means to an end, and when you hit second and third year you just want it to be over (probably how you feel about school). The most exciting thing for me about being at uni is that my objectives have changed. I no longer want to meet people, get smashed every night and get crazy with as many girls as possible. Instead, I am excited about getting a good job, buying a house, finding a missus, and having kids. It's weird because some of my mates are still where my head was at before and get pretty stroppy when I turn E because I don't really want it, or only have 3 or 4 beers because I have class the next day.

In short, chin up little chief. You'll be surprised how much better things get and how much yourself and the people around you will change over the next few years. Enjoy school while you're there, it's excellent.

Why I love Uni, while still getting a credit average. :d
thewestisland
thewestisland
Pro

Hawks wrote:
thewestisland wrote:

Why I love Uni, while still getting a credit average. :d

Kudos to you! Passing uni and being rowdy is, for me, like Arabs and Israelis. They can't coexist well at all. It got to the point where I transferred universities just so I picked up my sack and actually started working hard at it.
Bonkers
Bonkers
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
thewestisland wrote:
Anyone know what Deakin is like? As in location, size, facilities etc. Also, anyone know what the cost of living is for a student in the surrounding area?

Well in Vic its second tier, behind UoM and Monash. Then I think RMIT, La Trobe and Deakin are all pretty level. Its a good uni and its my local one.

Depends if youre going to Geelong/Waurn Ponds or Burwood. Burwood isnt too far from the city and its in a nice suburban area. They have housing across the road where they do a lot of sharehousing. Im sure they have campus accomodation too, not sure where though. As far as the Burwood campus is concerned I think its alright. Some people think its really ugly but I have no idea what theyre talking about. The science areas look shit but the law building is nice and new.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search