*Official* AFL (Australian Football League) Thread

*Official* AFL (Australian Football League) Thread

Author
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:
Brisbane Lions staring at $3m loss

Greg Denham From: The Australian February 05, 2011

BRISBANE'S tumultuous past 12 months will be reflected by a massive loss of almost $3 million.
The disastrous 2010 financial result, following a loss of $528,207 the previous year, is expected to be announced later this month.

Coinciding with the Lions' fall from grace have been the departures of key administrative staff, including chairman Tony Kelly, who was replaced mid-year by Angus Johnson, and chief executive Michael Bowers, who was pushed out in late October.

Brisbane expects finally to announce its new chief executive this month, with interim chief executive Steven Wright heading a short list of candidates. The Lions began their search for a new general manager early in December.

When Bowers "stepped down" after nine years, former Richmond chief executive Wright was offered the position on a temporary basis until a permanent placement was found. He had been running a sports consultancy company on the Gold Coast. Wright was replaced at Punt Road in 2009 after almost six years. Wright's short-term job description was to oversee the implementation of a football department review, recruit additional resources for the administration, increase revenue and be active in finding a new chief executive.

Johnson said Wright would not be a candidate. "The board swiftly appointed Steven Wright in the short term and he will undertake the role until a suitable replacement is found," Johnson said in October.

Brisbane however, is not yet in deep financial strife due to a highly prosperous period during and immediately following its four consecutive grand final appearances between 2001 and 2004.

Kelly reported 14 months ago that Brisbane was debt-free and held cash assets of almost $4m.

Brisbane will be the fifth AFL club to record a loss for last year, joining Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Carlton and Essendon. Sydney, which lost $752,428 in 2009, has not yet posted its financial result for last season.

The Lions will enter this season almost unrecognisable from the staff that started last year, with senior coach Michael Voss, in his third season, one of the few constants. Most of the changes were made following a comprehensive external review of Brisbane's football department, called as a result of a dramatic slump from sixth in 2009 to 13th last year.

The Lions won their first four games last season, but just three of their last 18 matches.

New general manager of football operations Dean Warren took up his position in November after 22 years of service with the AFL in a variety of roles.

He is in the Queensland AFL Hall of Fame after 170 games in the QAFL.

After losing class players Michael Rischitelli, Jared Brennan and Justin Sherman at the end of last season, Brisbane's biggest headache will come at the end of this season when it attempts to retain the services of out-of-contract trio Mitch Clark, Matthew Leuenberger and Daniel Rich.

But, it appears certain to lose at least one of that trio to Greater Western Sydney for its start up next year.

Because of its heavy commitment (almost $1.8 m) to troubled forward Brendan Fevola for two more seasons, the club is struggling under salary-cap restraints and will find it near impossible to keep its current list intact.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/brisbane-lions-staring-at-3m-loss/story-e6frg7mf-1226000457810

socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quote:
THE Sydney Swans now have the richest uniform in Australian sport.

Their Bloods colours are valued in the millions after landing a new third major partner catapulting the sponsorship value of the club's branded uniforms beyond any other sporting team.

The Daily Telegraph can exclusively reveal the Swans have secured a four-year deal with Volkswagen Group of Australia valued in excess of $1 million per season.

Sydney's uniform is now valued higher than reigning AFL premiers and sporting giants Collingwood, while it dwarfs the commercial success of NRL clubs with few rugby league sides capable of attracting one sponsor worth seven figures whereas the Swans can now boast three.

Ooooo yeah. :cool:
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

I was thinking of running a tipping comp. I figured I would gain interest here first and create a thread once the season draws nearer.
raspberryticklebear
raspberryticklebear
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

I'd be interested in a tipping comp.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

i would be if only i had the net at home ! only on here on the weekends
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
i would be if only i had the net at home ! only on here on the weekends

You could do your tips the weekend before. Or on the Fri Night, if you can.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

hmm might do that
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:
All eyes on convert Karmichael Hunt in Gold Coast Suns' debut

THE Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney make their historic AFL debuts tonight, and most eyes will be trained on one man: Karmichael Hunt.
GWS will be up first, when they take on Sydney in the opening match of the pre-season competition at Blacktown Olympic Park, but the Giants will be missing their marquee man, Israel Folau, due to an ankle injury.

The Swans will then take on the Suns, who will also be missing their main act, Gary Ablett.

Sydney will have plenty of their own youngsters on show, backed up by some veterans, but they do not boast anyone who is fascinating the sporting public like Hunt. A former Australia and Queensland rugby league representative, Hunt himself does not know how he will perform.

"I guess we'll find out tomorrow night," he said when asked if he thought he was good enough to crack it at AFL level.

"I couldn't answer that question, but fingers crossed."

Hunt seemed intent on deflecting some of the spotlight, suggesting he was "just one of many" who would take to the field. But there is genuine interest across Australian sporting circles about his ability to transform himself into an AFL player. He is also carrying the added pressure of a huge contract.

"I'm very excited. It's been a long build-up and a long pre-season. I'm just one of many looking forward to getting out there and playing," Hunt said.

"It's just the start. As we all know I've had a bit of a journey to get to this point, but tomorrow's just another stepping stone and another learning experience. I want to put my best foot forward, but knowing it's not going to be perfect."

Hunt could be in line for the ultimate baptism with the possibility he could spend time alongside two-time Brownlow medallist and Swans superstar Adam Goodes. The former Brisbane Bronco says he is a "big fan" of Goodes and would love the opportunity to test himself against one of the sport's best. But he is not setting any lofty goals for his debut season.

"I don't really have any gauges for myself," he said. "I want to be playing footy and be as good as I can be by season's end.

"Always in league I'd come back to the fact that if my teammates want me out on that field with them and they know I'm a reliable player, then I'd feel good about myself. Hopefully by season's end I'll be able to say that."

AAP

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/all-eyes-on-convert-karmichael-hunt-in-gold-coast-suns-debut/story-e6frg7mf-1226008414086

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:
People 'are trying to break us down': Nick Riewoldt

Well why don't you cry about it, Nick?
Quote:
Brisbane Lions staring at $3m loss

Well if they sacked Fevola already...
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

So GWS' debut went swell, losing 83-4 to the Swans. Yeah I know they don't even have a full and proper team yet but who cares it's still hilarious. Obviously they were to focused on the falafel and not the football.

Seriously though will be interesting to see how they go against the Suns later tonight.

Edited by sydneycroatia58: 19/2/2011 08:23:07 PM
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

Swans up 7-6 at half time against the Suns. Karmichael Hunt has been immense in defence for the Suns
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

Hayden Jolly with a goal with 15 seconds remaining. 25-22 to the Suns.
Great effort by the Suns

Edited by buddha69: 19/2/2011 09:19:23 PM
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

buddha69 wrote:
Swans up 7-6 at half time against the Suns. Karmichael Hunt has been immense in defence for the Suns

I'm not sure if I want the swans to win. These pre-season games are basically a joke anyway.

--Looks like the Suns are going to win it.
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
So GWS' debut went swell, losing 83-4 to the Swans. Yeah I know they don't even have a full and proper team yet but who cares it's still hilarious. Obviously they were to focused on the falafel and not the football.

Seriously though will be interesting to see how they go against the Suns later tonight.

Edited by sydneycroatia58: 19/2/2011 08:23:07 PM

I'm surprised you're even watching an 'aerial ping pong' match, SydCro.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Wasn't watching saw the score online. Laughed pretty hard.
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro

sydneycroatia58 wrote:

Best day of your life?
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

socceroossupporter wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:

Best day of your life?

That was on Thursday. (when Arsenal beat Barca)
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro

Man... GWS certainly suck tonight.

At least we know the AFL didn't bribe anyone to make the GWS scoreline more respectable.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

Man... GWS certainly suck tonight.

At least we know the AFL didn't bribe anyone to make the GWS scoreline more respectable.

18-0 after 5 minutes. Just hope GWS can kick a goal.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

SAVAGE. What a mark

GWS have a goal.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

THEY GOT ANOTHER.
Wow.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

They have hit the front now :lol:

19-18 to the Giants with 3 minutes left in the half
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Watched a bit of the GWS demolition.

Every single crowd shot is packed with Swans colours.

Good luck AFL, you'll need it :lol:
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro

buddha69 wrote:

Really surprised. :-k GWS are actually making this competitive.

----Half time and GWS are in the lead. :lol: :shock:
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

buddha69 wrote:

I reckon. What the hell.

socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro

macktheknife wrote:

They don't need luck, they have 200 million bucks to pump into the Western Sydney economy for the next twenty years so you ungrateful bastards have an AFL team.
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro

buddha69 wrote:
buddha69 wrote:

I reckon. What the hell.

Second half is going to be veeery interesting. Though honestly I predict a blowout.

So SydCro + Maktheknife, you can rest easy... you will more than likely be able to gloat about this result for another year.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

macktheknife wrote:

They don't need luck, they have 200 million bucks to pump into the Western Sydney economy for the next twenty years so you ungrateful bastards have an AFL team.

:lol: An AFL team that the vast majority of resident don't even want, and we're ungrateful:lol:
socceroossupporter
socceroossupporter
Pro

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
macktheknife wrote:

:lol: An AFL team that the vast majority of resident don't even want, and we're ungrateful:lol:

The AFL are pumping free money into your economy, what's not to be grateful for?
buddha69
buddha69
World Class

39-26 to the Gold Coast with just under 5 minutes remaining
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search