Futsal creates bad habits

Futsal creates bad habits

Author
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
i have heard this from 2 coaches, one high in the structure and one low down, when asked for specifics no answer given. So can anyone else shed light on this statement.

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Futsal is a diff game to sockah.

As is beach sockah, freestyling, juggling circus acts and rythmic gymnastics with ball.

I've never known one leading youth talent (that went on to shine at senior top tier soccer) that played futsal in his teenage years.
dale1878
dale1878
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

dirkvanadidas wrote:
i have heard this from 2 coaches, one high in the structure and one low down, when asked for specifics no answer given. So can anyone else shed light on this statement.

Maybe something to do with gross motor vs fine motor skills? ie: not being able to hit a long pass, diminishing spatial awareness and only utilising anaerobic fitness. It's great for keepers' reactions, as is handball, but, again, diminishes a goalkeeper's ability to judge distance and space within his/her area.
dale1878
dale1878
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Judy Free wrote:

As is beach sockah, freestyling, juggling circus acts and rythmic gymnastics with ball.

I've never known one leading youth talent (that went on to shine at senior top tier soccer) that played futsal in his teenage years.

[youtube]C4paCPtVkio[/youtube]

#-o #-o #-o
krones3
krones3
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

What a load of rot
Futsal is brilliant for young players my only concern is at 15 players can be injured due to the hard surface their lack of co ordination and the weight increase.

dale1878
dale1878
Pro

krones3 wrote:
What a load of rot
Futsal is brilliant for young players my only concern is at 15 players can be injured due to the hard surface their lack of co ordination and the weight increase.

Keepers going from futsal to outdoor tend to struggle. Other way takes time to adjust, too - different skill set I guess.
dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

“Futsal was important in helping to develop my ball control, quick thinking, passing and also for dribbling, balance, concentration... Futsal was very, very important, no doubt.”
Pele, World Cup Winner: 1958, 1962 & 1970

not sure if he gave it up too early

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

distantfan
distantfan
Fan
Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)Fan (63 reputation)

Futsal is often credited with why Brazilian players have such good technical ability.

According to Pele:

"Of course futsal was important in helping to develop my ball control, quick thinking, passing... of course you have to have an aptitude for both futsal and normal football and you must have the capacity to adjust because of the differences in the games. But for dribbling, balance, concentration... futsal was very, very important, no doubt. Futsal helped produce many great players in my generation like Paulo Cesar and Rivellino. All the best players began with futsal. Robinho started with futsal and played when he was 10 to 12 years old. Diego also played in futsal tournaments when he was very young".

http://www.futsal.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:interview-with-pele&catid=46:interviews&Itemid=74

Ronaldhino played a lot as a child. Here's some footage:

http://www.insidefutsal.com/2010/11/ronaldinho-childsuperstar-on-futsal/

OK I was beaten to the line with that Pele quote!

Edited by distantfan: 16/8/2011 07:55:28 PM
Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

http://www.futsal.com.au/index.html

Click on Futuroos and review training sessions.

rotflmfao

the.football.God
the.football.God
Fan
Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)Fan (99 reputation)

From the recent Young Socceroos Antonis, Bulut, Hamill, Ibini-Isei and Petratos all played futsal until at least under 14s, I think Ibini-Isei and Petratos may have played 16s/Youth as well. They were 5 of our better players.
nicobinho
nicobinho
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)

In my opinion futsal helps you with your ball control, cordination, quick thinking etc. I personally play normal 11vs11 and futsal helps me tremendously because its a faster game with more pace than 11v11.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

I think futsal should be part of a balanced training program. If your team is training 4 times a week then a session every week or 2 is not going to hurt.

If futsal doesn't help improve your one-touch passing, 1-2's, dribbling and quick shooting then my arse doesn't point to the ground.

Futsal is just a codified form of street soccer and street soccer has been credited for years by players all of the world for their close dribbling skills and passing etc.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Judy Free wrote:

rotflmfao

To be fair that is aimed at 4 to 9 year olds.

Member since 2008.

nicobinho
nicobinho
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)Hardcore Fan (205 reputation)

Yeah, futsal is known for its fast pace, 1-2 passes, and quick dribbling. It will definately benefit you on the normal pitch.
JuveJuve
JuveJuve
Fan
Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)Fan (52 reputation)

I'm not sure if futsal creates bad habits but this is the real question: Would a football player be better if he practiced football 6 hours a day or would they be better if they practiced 4 hours a day and 2 hours of futsal. In others words, does futsal add value to an outdoor player? The perfect practice theory would contend not but screw it, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Edited by JuveJuve: 17/8/2011 10:12:13 AM
Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro

Munrubenmuz wrote:
Judy Free wrote:

rotflmfao

To be fair that is aimed at 4 to 9 year olds.

"stretching" for 4 year olds, lol.

Now, if futsal was played with a real sockah ball it would have a better claim to assist dev of real players.

But, geez, that whole indoor environment can create a heated atmosphere for many parents. All derogatory comments are heard. Significantly worse than the outdoor saturday sideline stalker mentality.

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

If its good enough for the Brazilians it's good enough for me.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Is futsal a new game? How does it differ from the "indoor soccer" that was played in Australia thirty years ago?

In that game, the ball wasn't allowed to go above waist height, and you couldn't score from inside the penalty circle. Or does that happen in futsal too?
Muz
Muz
Legend

localstar wrote:
Is futsal a new game? How does it differ from the "indoor soccer" that was played in Australia thirty years ago?

In that game, the ball wasn't allowed to go above waist height, and you couldn't score from inside the penalty circle. Or does that happen in futsal too?

The ball goes out instead of off a wall. The ball is smaller and heavier. The goal is taller. You can kick it at any height. etc.

Try google or youtube.

Member since 2008.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Well its the footballs version of Zumba! :D Only Kidding
Is great fun and great for fitness too
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

JuveJuve wrote:
I'm not sure if futsal creates bad habits but this is the real question: Would a football player be better if he practiced football 6 hours a day or would they be better if they practiced 4 hours a day and 2 hours of futsal. In others words, does futsal add value to an outdoor player? The perfect practice theory would contend not but screw it, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Edited by JuveJuve: 17/8/2011 10:12:13 AM

This is the real point. Is it more likely that a young player will train for six hours or is it more likely that they will train for four hours and play futsal for two hours. I think the latter is far more likely to retain players.
Post_hoc
Post_hoc
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Judy Free - 16 Aug 2011 6:41 PM

I think you are very wrong (and others on here) about Futsal.  There are plenty of examples of Futsal players going on to 'shine' as for the comment by someone else about the ball, what do you mean it isn't a real football?  Of course it is, it may be slightly heavier and doesn't bounce much, but it moves on the ground the same way, under foot behaves  the same way.  As a development system it is brilliant.

Even the FA has belatedly recognized this and is encouraging associations to implement Futsal programs 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
[quote]
Post_hoc - 29 Aug 2018 2:53 PM

I think you are very wrong (and others on here) about Futsal.  There are plenty of examples of Futsal players going on to 'shine' as for the comment by someone else about the ball, what do you mean it isn't a real football?  Of course it is, it may be slightly heavier and doesn't bounce much, but it moves on the ground the same way, under foot behaves  the same way.  As a development system it is brilliant.

Even the FA has belatedly recognized this and is encouraging associations to implement Futsal programs 

One player I was coaching in outdoor  developed the La Croqueta move from playing futsal - without me imparting it in sequential stages .

The player started using  it to devastating effect in outdoor and futsal.
Post_hoc
Post_hoc
Pro

Decentric - 30 Aug 2018 10:16 AM
[quote]
Post_hoc - 29 Aug 2018 2:53 PM

One player I was coaching in outdoor  developed the La Croqueta move from playing futsal - without me imparting it in sequential stages .

The player started using  it to devastating effect in outdoor and futsal.

It rewards creativity, and on the flip side it does teach defenders to be more patient as diving in can very quickly make you look very silly in Futsal.  Kudo's to the kid
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Post_hoc - 13 Sep 2018 1:40 PM
Decentric - 30 Aug 2018 10:16 AM

It rewards creativity, and on the flip side it does teach defenders to be more patient as diving in can very quickly make you look very silly in Futsal.  Kudo's to the kid

The FFA coaches at state level vary in whether they advocate futsal as a medium to improve one's out door 11 v11 skill set.

For outdoor development, 5v5 SSG simulates outdoor 11 v 11 much more. But in its absence,  futsal is still a good option where there is probably a greater onus on skill and less on tactics. Players touch the ball a lot more per futsal game than 11 v 11 outdoor football too.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Decentric
Zoltan
Zoltan
Hacker
Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)

Decentric - 2 Aug 2020 5:34 PM
Post_hoc - 13 Sep 2018 1:40 PM

The FFA coaches at state level vary in whether they advocate futsal as a medium to improve one's out door 11 v11 skill set.

For outdoor development, 5v5 SSG simulates outdoor 11 v 11 much more. But in its absence,  futsal is still a good option where there is probably a greater onus on skill and less on tactics. Players touch the ball a lot more per futsal game than 11 v 11 outdoor football too.

As you said small sided games pretty much replicate futsal..
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Judy Free - 16 Aug 2011 6:41 PM

Good to see you posting again, Chips/Judy.

Have you heard of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Neymar,  Pele, Garrincha or Denilson? 

They played 11 v 11 outdoor football for Brazil and weren't too bad at it. Their formative years were spent playing a lot of  futsal too.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Arthur - 3 Sep 2011 12:56 AM
If its good enough for the Brazilians it's good enough for me.

Well said, Arthur.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search