Oz media coverage of Asian Cup

Oz media coverage of Asian Cup

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I've looked to see if there are any other threads on this, but cannot see any.

Today in the local Murdoch tabloid, a local cyclist winning a big event, the tennis and World Cup cricket in a few weeks, which still has not started, have taken precedence over the Asian Cup final in column space. The Socceroos are playing in it too.](*,)

Given that the whole of Asia, pretty well, thinks football is its number one sport, and that Australia is so keen to engage with Asia in trade, why is this media scenario occurring?

Surely football takes precedence?

I am also a passionate cricket follower, but only about 4 nations in Asian play cricket.

Some other forumites, including Electroschock, have advanced cogent arguments about tennis's status, but surely football is the big event in Australia ATM?

Thoughts?
Socceroofan4life
Socceroofan4life
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
There has been heaps of coverage here in Brisbane.
smiler
smiler
Super Fan
Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)

Yep, Courier Mail in Brissie have had pretty good coverage. The morning after the quarter final the front page and the back 3 pages were all dedicated to the win over China.
JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

^ This is why i think some here are wrong in thinking the Brisbane public is ignorant of football, the roar crowds and the socceroo crowds, plus Asian Cup crowds they have had shows me that it is not a Bogan Rugby League town. Football is still behind but it is a recognized sport.
victoristar
victoristar
Super Fan
Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)Super Fan (144 reputation)

"why is this media scenario occurring?"

It's the Herald Sun, nothing else needs to be said.

Saying that, I think the Register missed a big opportunity in gaining a lot of readership here in Victoria. To say the coverage has been lacklustre is a severe understatement. However the Herald Sun did put Jason Davidson on the front cover with the semi final win, so that's something, I guess

Edited by victoristar: 30/1/2015 05:55:25 PM
Johnson
Johnson
Fan
Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)Fan (90 reputation)

What do you expect? Abc has "broadcast rights" yet only streamed an amateurish radio commentary of the 3v4 playoff. Absolutely garbage.
Mark457
Mark457
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

JonoMV wrote:
^ This is why i think some here are wrong in thinking the Brisbane public is ignorant of football, the roar crowds and the socceroo crowds, plus Asian Cup crowds they have had shows me that it is not a Bogan Rugby League town. Football is still behind but it is a recognized sport.

Brisbane no doubt have a strong footballing culture within the metropolitan outside of that it is pretty much rugby. Also, they are quiet patriarchal towards QLD teams so Roar have good representation within the media. I think generally the Daily Telegraph have definitely improved there acknowledgement of the A-league and football in general but it is a shit newspaper controlled by an idiot so we can only expect so much.
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Mark457 wrote:

Brisbane no doubt have a strong footballing culture within the metropolitan outside of that it is pretty much rugby.

Nah. There are football teams from the top of the State to the bottom and they've been there for decades. The State League covers 1600 km of coast line. The "old" State League from back in the 70's covered from Mareeba in the north (Frank Farina) all the way down to the Gold Coast.

Ol' Kasey Wehrman originated in Cloncurry FFS. Mitch Langerak was born in Emerald and played at Across the Waves in Bundaberg. Shroj was from Innisfail if I remember and Caravella from Cairns? It goes on and on. The whole freakin State has a football presence.

The shit that people write about Queensland.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

SWandP wrote:
Mark457 wrote:

Brisbane no doubt have a strong footballing culture within the metropolitan outside of that it is pretty much rugby.

Nah. There are football teams from the top of the State to the bottom and they've been there for decades. The State League covers 1600 km of coast line. The "old" State League from back in the 70's covered from Mareeba in the north (Frank Farina) all the way down to the Gold Coast.

Ol' Kasey Wehrman originated in Cloncurry FFS. Mitch Langerak was born in Emerald and played at Across the Waves in Bundaberg. Shroj was from Innisfail if I remember and Caravella from Cairns? It goes on and on. The whole freakin State has a football presence.

Corica was from NQ.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

UnitedBluebirds
UnitedBluebirds
Super Fan
Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)Super Fan (150 reputation)

Senior & Junior Football is very strong North of Brisbane & always has been with junior participation like the rest of the country i.e dwarfing all other sports.

A few Others off the top of the head from c/ Central Qld region include…

Josh Rose - Berserker, Rockhampton

Stuart McLaren - Valleys, Biloela & Someone in Rocky.

Josh Brillante - Across the Waves, Bundaberg

Prob Others as well.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
UnitedBlueBirds wrote:
Josh Brillante - Across the Waves, Bundaberg

Langerak played for them too, before becoming a Victory Product.

Clint Bolton was also from Bundy, giving the town a monopoly of the keepers in the 2010 Grand Final.

Edited by paladisious: 2/2/2015 09:27:22 PM
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
SWandP wrote:
Mark457 wrote:

Corica was from NQ.

-PB

Aye. An Innisfailian IIRC.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search