Ethics classes for primary school children.

Ethics classes for primary school children.

Author
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Glenn - A-league Mad wrote:
mcjules wrote:
The real crime here is not religion vs non-religion. It is hiding the options to favor another.

As stupid as it sounds people who do not go to church or do anything related to religion still identify themselves with a religion.
My own wife does this. She will tell me she is not a religious person, but will put down catholic on forms ect... why? because her parents taught her.

The churches know this, so by removing ethics as an option and just nameing a religion they know they will cappture a big new batch of kids to train, and when the parent finds out they will probably not bother pulling the kids out in most cases as they identify with said religion.

It is all super underhanded.

Do you find your wife does things that are "catholic" that you don't agree with (apart of course from writing down that she's Catholic on forms)?

No. She really does nothing in any religious form in any aspect of her daily life. I find it quite strange, but therein lies the problem. She would tick catholic on a form for our 2 kids if that was the option given.

Perhaps she has no ill will towards the catholic church and indeed likes to identify with that community of people?

It just doesn't seem like particularly strong "brain washing" is all.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

Whats the big deal about this?? My wife grew up in germany and went to public school and yet had r.e classes as a standard I school. I get some people are offended by religon and what they believe in as a encroachment in their lives but fuck sake you dont have to rant and rave like a madman

What's the big deal about racism. I get some people are offended by being called apes but theres no reason for them to be upset about it................................... :shock:

Seriously, shocking post sir.

It's not so much an 'offense' in itself. I'm annoyed by the insistence that a pro-Christian set of theological ideas are taught to impressionable minds and that people seem to think that it's not a problem.

Edited by benelsmore: 16/6/2015 02:37:49 PM
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

I see. Carry On. Guess you know all about religion and religous people. I bid you fair well

Edited by mvfcarsenal16.8: 16/6/2015 03:09:24 PM
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
I see. Carry On. Guess you know all about religion and religous people. I bid you fair well

What nonsense.

I'm constantly shocked by attitudes towards religion where people just think it's some kind of accepted norm.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

How so? Im religious and I havent ever spouted any shit that people say most religious people do. Why should religous people have to put up with cobstant attacks on their religous views and people expect us to say nothing. I have children amd they have been baptised but I donr really care if they dont become religious as I dont raise them to be. My wife is muslim but isnt religious neither are her parents. Like i said she grew up in germany and religious studies was taught in schools.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

benelsmore wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

What nonsense.

I'm constantly shocked by attitudes towards religion where people just think it's some kind of accepted norm.

Well that's the problem. Religion is an "accepted norm".

Ethics classes, whilst not the panacea for religious indoctrination, is certainly a step in the right direction and now they want to hide your right to choose what your child can be taught.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
How so? Im religious and I havent ever spouted any shit that people say most religious people do. Why should religous people have to put up with cobstant attacks on their religous views and people expect us to say nothing. I have children amd they have been baptised but I donr really care if they dont become religious as I dont raise them to be. My wife is muslim but isnt religious neither are her parents. Like i said she grew up in germany and religious studies was taught in schools.

If you're not religious why did you get the kids baptised?

If you're not religious you're a hypocrite, if you are religious then you've lied above.

Which is it?

3000 POSTS!!!

Edited by MUNRUBENMUZ: 16/6/2015 03:34:19 PM

Member since 2008.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

Religious people don't put up with shit (unless you're a minority religion or a muslim). People's church and it's official teachings get criticized and they take it as some personal attack. Unfortunately, If you're associated with a religion/church/religious organization and that religion has an official stance of being for example against something like marriage equality, the religion is going to cop some flak. I do not understand why people take attacks on their church as attacks against them personally.

People seem to think that because they believe in something that it's invulnerable to criticism. If you're offended by criticism, don't make your beliefs public knowledge because to be honest, your religion and your personal beliefs are not important to anyone but you.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Munrubenmuz wrote:
benelsmore wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

What nonsense.

Well that's the problem. Religion is an "accepted norm".

Ethics classes, whilst not the panacea for religious indoctrination, is certainly a step in the right direction and now they want to hide your right to choose what your child can be taught.

I agree.

I have no problem with personal beliefs. I do have a problem with institutionalised indoctrination. If my kid was taught religion whether it be Buddhism, Islam or Judiasm without me knowing I'd be livid.

Religion is a personal decision and should be taught personally. It should not involve a religious figure from a specific religion coming to a primary school and teaching naïve juveniles about what man says about God.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

benelsmore wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

Religious people don't put up with shit (unless you're a minority religion or a muslim). People's church and it's official teachings get criticized and they take it as some personal attack. Unfortunately, If you're associated with a religion/church/religious organization and that religion has an official stance of being for example against something like marriage equality, the religion is going to cop some flak. I do not understand why people take attacks on their church as attacks against them personally.

People seem to think that because they believe in something that it's invulnerable to criticism. If you're offended by criticism, don't make your beliefs public knowledge because to be honest, your religion and your personal beliefs are not important to anyone but you.

my church has been in the news for the last 20 plus years. I want the Catholic diocese here ti admit that they knew what was going on and say they knew george pell knew about the paedphil priests. I know a lot of catholics like myself who wish the church move forward and get in the 21st century . But our views get drowned out by oh all catholics are paedophile hiders.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
benelsmore wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

my church has been in the news for the last 20 plus years. I want the Catholic diocese here ti admit that they knew what was going on and say they knew george pell knew about the paedphil priests. I know a lot of catholics like myself who wish the church move forward and get in the 21st century . But our views get drowned out by oh all catholics are paedophile hiders.

The catholic church needs to own up and start over. Their credibility will on be further damaged by trying to hide obvious truths.
Muz
Muz
Legend

MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
I know a lot of catholics like myself who wish the church move forward and get in the 21st century.

This is the bit I don't get. They join the "club" knowing full well what the rules are and then they try and change the rules.

Member since 2008.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
I know a lot of catholics like myself who wish the church move forward and get in the 21st century.

This is the bit I don't get. They join the "club" knowing full well what the rules are and then they try and change the rules.

I for one cannot give credibility to 'God's word' when the interpretations keep changing to suit the social evolution of man.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

benelsmore wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
benelsmore wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

The catholic church needs to own up and start over. Their credibility will on be further damaged by trying to hide obvious truths.

I agree sadly the people who are in charge are old and dont give a flying fuck about anyone but themselves. Reminds me if fifa to be honest. The young people want change. We want a church to say we knew about it and we did nothing as we were too stupid or immoral to do anything.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

what rules would that be? ? The bloody bible is open to interpretation ffs. Some use it to hate some use it for good and some are so messed up they use it to kill (hello tim mcviegh)
Muz
Muz
Legend

benelsmore wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

I for one cannot give credibility to 'God's word' when the interpretations keep changing to suit the social evolution of man.

Some things yes but others such as male priests only, an abhorrence to homosexuality and contraception have been pretty consistent throughout their history.

Other stuff like "limbo" and even "hell" to some extent are in a state of flux. Yes, no , maybe. They can't make up their minds.

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

what rules would that be? ?

Umm the Catholic rules that say abortion is bad.
The rule that says marriage is between a man and a woman.
The rule that says women can't be priests.
The rule that says priests must be celibate.
The rule that says you have to be baptised otherwise lights out for you laddy should you kark it.

Otherwise start your own religion that suits yourself. Just don't call yourself a Catholic.

Why should you as a supposed "Catholic" change church tenants that would alienate millions of other adherents who are happy with things just the way they are.

I have no problem with the church saying that gays can't marry in their church. That's their right and their rules.

I get annoyed when they say no gay people should get married anywhere outside of their church.

Edited by MUNRUBENMUZ: 16/6/2015 03:59:41 PM

Member since 2008.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

And you think I belive any of them? Hell in the philippines we have lady boy priests and gay clergy.
Muz
Muz
Legend

MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:
And you think I belive any of them? Hell in the philippines we have lady boy priests and gay clergy.

Well evidently you're a "Catholic" in name only.

Member since 2008.

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

how so? Face it you know nothing about me and why im catholic. You want me to be a typical gays burn in hell type but im not .

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

People identify with the church on many levels, it might be hard for someone that hasn't grown up in a Catholic family to understand but your local parish and the generous and caring people in that community can feel a million miles away from the doctrine of the papacy in Rome. Additionally, there's the school community as well that offer a good education at a decent price, charities and a bunch of other services.

I recognise this can seem hypocritical to someone that despises the church so I'm prepared for the criticisms of this but it's not black and white like you're trying to make out.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mcjules wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

People identify with the church on many levels, it might be hard for someone that hasn't grown up in a Catholic family to understand but your local parish and the generous and caring people in that community can feel a million miles away from the doctrine of the papacy in Rome. Additionally, there's the school community as well that offer a good education at a decent price, charities and a bunch of other services.

I recognise this can seem hypocritical to someone that despises the church so I'm prepared for the criticisms of this but it's not black and white like you're trying to make out.

It's this 'church of convenience' which makes organized religion such a clusterf*ck these days.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

mcjules wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

thank you . Finally someone gets it.
Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

People are getting way off track here. The problem is not that religion is an option. Many people welcome the option and want their children to participate in religious studies.

The problem is the religious bodies are putting pressure on the government to alter these applications to bias towards their option.

People dont intuitively know to write down an extra option if it is not displayed to them. If a menu says it has strawberry milkshakes, chocolate milkshakes and banana milkshakes only, it would be a very very slim margin of the public that would ask for a lime milkshake.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

benelsmore wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

It's this 'church of convenience' which makes organized religion such a clusterf*ck these days.

oh I agree but also hate those who despise religion for not particular reason. There are some who like yourself have valid reasons and there man rub who just hates everything like anti feminists and relgious folk who dont fit his stereotype
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

People are getting way off track here. The problem is not that religion is an option. Many people welcome the option and want their children to participate in religious studies.

The problem is the religious bodies are putting pressure on the government to alter these applications to bias towards their option.

People dont intuitively know to write down an extra option if it is not displayed to them. If a menu says it has strawberry milkshakes, chocolate milkshakes and banana milkshakes only, it would be a very very slim margin of the public that would ask for a lime milkshake.

That's what makes it so despicable.

However it's Christianity which is the social norm so we're just a bunch of anarchists if we kick up a stink right?
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

benelsmore wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

It's more a cultural thing rather than a "church of convenience". You might reject it and there are certainly catholics that have but for the vast majority (and I suspect Glenn's wife may be like this) don't see any real harm in how they were brought up and may think it's helped them in some way. Even if they don't believe in God any more.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mcjules wrote:
benelsmore wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

It's more a cultural thing rather than a "church of convenience". You might reject it and there are certainly catholics that have but for the vast majority (and I suspect Glenn's wife may be like this) don't see any real harm in how they were brought up and may think it's helped them in some way. Even if they don't believe in God any more.

In that respect I think it's each to their own as long as it doesn't affect others.
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

benelsmore wrote:
mcjules wrote:
benelsmore wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

In that respect I think it's each to their own as long as it doesn't affect others.

Yep which is why I agree with the original post of the thread :lol:

Muz
Muz
Legend

mcjules wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
MvFCArsenal16.8 wrote:

I'm afraid you're talking out of your hat.

I did grow up in a Catholic family. (And the extended family too). It says Catholic on my birth certificate, I've been baptised, done the confession bit and the Confirmation part. I was, until I renounced my religion, a full bottle 100% Catholic that prayed at night and went to church on Sundays.

Why I get annoyed at your "choose your own adventure types" like MV-ARSE is because they cheapen the religion for people like my mum who are still very devout and are very committed to the churches doctrine and dogma. For her sake I would hate to see the Catholic church change their stance on most of the issues brought up here because it devalues her beliefs and understanding of the church she knows.

And BTW It is hypocritical because they want all of the benefits that you mentioned above without any of the commitment. "I don't go to church because I worship God in my own way" or some other garbage is a line you hear trotted out constantly.

Weak as piss is what that is.

By way of a very clumsy analogy it's like me joining the yacht club and then complaining that they never put on ocean kayak racing. What about us poor ocean kayakers waah waah.

MV says he's not religious yet he's had his children baptised. (All the benefits without the commitment.) Hypocrisy of the highest order.

Edited by MUNRUBENMUZ: 16/6/2015 08:56:21 PM

Member since 2008.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search