Is playing NPL better than HAL?

Is playing NPL better than HAL?

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
One of the things that arises in football is the huge differential between the remuneration of top professional players, like Ronaldo and Messi, and players in the English Lower Leagues and the HAL.

Benjamin has alluded to some current NPL players in Victoria knocking back one year HAL contracts. He said if they have jobs paying 80 grand a year, they are not prepared to risk a 12 month HAL contract.

I'm not sure if South Melb's striker Lucic has been offered a HAL contact, but he is also a trained teacher.

If he works full time, he would be on between $65 00 to $90 000 per year as a teacher. In this state we have a number of trained teachers who play NPL football too. I once posted on a local football blog that one could have a career and still play the next level down from pro football by staying with the NPL.

A number of people have spoken to me about the comment I posted off line.

There is a book I haven't seen, elucidating how many Lower League English players almost regret playing lower level pro football, with the nominal remuneration and fickle existence.

In Australia I often see a number of footballers who to all intents and purposes play regular HAL football, like Bulloch, Howard and Pellegrino, from PG and Jets.

Then a few months later I've seen them in Victorian NPL clubs playing practice games. I'm often staggered how many HAL players are suddenly cut. If players have no trade, profession, or skill, it must be a roller coaster as a pro footballer with such great highs and lows.

In this state teachers can apply for three years leave without pay. If I were Lucic I'd have a go at HAL, if three years leave without pay is available in Victoria.

Another option is to work part time - one or two days a week, and see how it fits into a HAL program.

I've just heard of one HAL player who has played his first season in the HAL, being upgraded from NPL. Apparently it has taken him a whole season just for his body to get used to the rigour of pro football. He made some appearances off the bench late in the season.

Edited by Decentric: 10/5/2016 10:46:46 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

In Australia if a player has a career as a Socceroo for 10 years, it is probably a fabulous career and lifestyle, with enough money to set one up for life.

There are probably only 2-3 current Socceroos in this position.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric wrote:
One of the things that arises in football is the huge differential between the remuneration of top professional players, like Ronaldo and Messi, and players in the English Lower Leagues and the HAL.

Benjamin has alluded to some current NPL players in Victoria knocking back one year HAL contracts. He said if they have jobs paying 80 grand a year, they are not prepared to risk a 12 month HAL contract.

I'm not sure if South Melb's striker Lucic has been offered a HAL contact, but he is also a trained teacher.

If he works full time, he would be on between $65 00 to $90 000 per year as a teacher. In this state we have a number of trained teachers who play NPL football too. I once posted on a local football blog that one could have a career and still play the next level down from pro football by staying with the NPL.

A number of people have spoken to me about the comment I posted off line.

There is a book I haven't seen, elucidating how many Lower League English players almost regret playing lower level pro football, with the nominal remuneration and fickle existence.

In Australia I often see a number of footballers who to all intents and purposes play regular HAL football, like Bulloch, Howard and Pellegrino, from PG and Jets.

Then a few months later I've seen them in Victorian NPL clubs playing practice games. I'm often staggered how many HAL players are suddenly cut. If players have no trade, profession, or skill, it must be a roller coaster as a pro footballer with such great highs and lows.

In this state teachers can apply for three years leave without pay. If I were Lucic I'd have a go at HAL, if three years leave without pay is available in Victoria.

Another option is to work part time - one or two days a week, and see how it fits into a HAL program.

I've just heard of one HAL player who has played his first season in the HAL, being upgraded from NPL. Apparently it has taken him a whole season just for his body to get used to the rigour of pro football. He made some appearances off the bench late in the season.

Edited by Decentric: 10/5/2016 10:46:46 AM

For youth then yes, that's what Harry Kewell said anyway
Brew
Brew
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
There are pros and cons for both HAL, or NPL plus career.
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

One would think that if they are on 80K a year then there not teenagers. You would also think that if they were on 80K and were good enough to be offered an HAL contract they would be on $1000-1500 per game at their current NPL club. Unless the HAL offered them 100K plus then NO stay at the NPL/teaching role. You also don't see to many 23-27 year olds moving to HAL from NPL and be starting 11 players.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Hopefully once there is more money in the game the FFA can set up their second division to which will open up more opportunities for young players to play against men in a higher level which is aligned to the a-league and also would help create a scouting system to identify talent which is never easy to find in the state NPL leagues.
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Barca4Life wrote:
Hopefully once there is more money in the game the FFA can set up their second division to which will open up more opportunities for young players to play against men in a higher level which is aligned to the a-league and also would help create a scouting system to identify talent which is never easy to find in the state NPL leagues.

isn't that what the current youth systems at victory and city do now? Most of the players are selected from NPL clubs. Granted that most of the last crop of 98-2000's have come from the state system that are at MV and MC.
SydneyCroatia
SydneyCroatia
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Decentric wrote:

What for? What would he achieve?

He'd be going from probably earning 100k+ a year to the lower end of the A-League salary scale. You're probably talking about a 20/30k difference in earnings, if not more. A significant amount of money for someone who may have a mortgage and kids. Even without a mortgage it's still a significant amount of money.

Chasing your 'dream' may be feasible at 19/20, but I'd say most players' priorities start shifting in their early/mid 20s.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

SydneyCroatia wrote:
Decentric wrote:

What for? What would he achieve?

He'd be going from probably earning 100k+ a year to the lower end of the A-League salary scale. You're probably talking about a 20/30k difference in earnings, if not more. A significant amount of money for someone who may have a mortgage and kids. Even without a mortgage it's still a significant amount of money.

Chasing your 'dream' may be feasible at 19/20, but I'd say most players' priorities start shifting in their early/mid 20s.

Just to try life as a professional footballer.

Ogger, Vargas, Manny Muscat and Franjic all transferred to the HAL to the NPL later in their career than most. They have all played international football too.
Soft News
Soft News
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Same would work for some suburban footy players in Melbourne. Where some are earning 2000 a game. Combined with a day job, no need to go pro at AFL level.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search