Any Active Surfers here ?

Any Active Surfers here ?

Author
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Its looking like there is......
I'm from the pioneering days guys, well lets say pre Pro Tour, lived breathed it as it was happening.
Less crowds
Locals ruled
Park anywhere at no charge
No leggies - to rope with rubber slipped over to urethane.
Single fins to twins to thrusters - mals were for old codgers.
Knee boards, known as cripples back in the day - can I say that now ?!
Surf Life Savers were clubbie enemies.
Surf films ruled.
When Byron was the mecca of the North in more ways than one lol.....now pathetically known for schoolies.
Watched some of the pioneers win contests from Bells to North Narra to Kirra.
McTavish,Peterson,Lynch,Col Smith,Fitzy,Ando,MR,Carroll on and on.....
When Rip Curl Platz Billabong were kings and only worn by us so called dope smoking bums - what low life lol......pre Quicksilver wasn't even around back then.
A absolutely fantastic amazing aussie past time and experience to behold.
Still actively getting out there - bring on daylight savings.
So, tell us what/where your into.

Love Football

Edited
8 Years Ago by LFC.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Grew up in and went to school around Maroubra so was down there literally every day after school during high school. Occasionally went north or south but wasn't much point really, there's usually good surf at Maroubra everyday. When there are storm it is absolutely pumping though. Good times.

Haven't been out in a few years unfortunately.

Still remember the first night I saw Endless Summer. A classic!
Edited
8 Years Ago by Draupnir
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

yer ok, a Bra boy mate lol....sorry not meaning anything about it, obviously its heritage is long thats all.
Having been a northern beachs boy naturally south was a no no for so long but we did venture in our mid 20's on - your beach is very hectic when big thats for sure, some grinding banks. I had some sessions at Cronulla as well.
Yes, you end up going through phase's/breaks depending on the stages in your life - I had a huge break tbh and I didn't think I missed it but once I got myself a more suitable stick its like a bike, mates kept at me for years glad they did - now look forward to the summer coming, I'm over the cold water shock nowadays though.

Movies sure had their highs and lows, the early commentary sucked big time but we all just consumed it and dreamed of doing as the pros lol....yer right.

Love Football

Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

LFC. - 5 Aug 2016 8:53 PM
yer ok, a Bra boy mate lol....sorry not meaning anything about it, obviously its heritage is long thats all.

Movies sure had their highs and lows, the early commentary sucked big time but we all just consumed it and dreamed of doing as the pros lol....yer right.

Haha nothing bad to be meant by it! Proud! I went to school with all the boys.

Yeah don't get me wrong, Endless Summer looks amazing but the commentary is borderline retarded by any kind of standard today :D

If you have any recommendations for vintage longboarding movies I'd love to hear 'em.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Yer, I reckon they have been pretty cool myself tbh.

Re early long board movies of the past, tbh I'll have to check around myself for I was at the start of the short board revolution thankfully but I did see some of those pioneering movies going back to long boards at waikiki etcetc...there were quite a few done through that Beach Boys era I'll see if I can find ones worthwhile watching.

Love Football

Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

LFC. - 7 Aug 2016 2:11 PM
Yer, I reckon they have been pretty cool myself tbh.

Re early long board movies of the past, tbh I'll have to check around myself for I was at the start of the short board revolution thankfully but I did see some of those pioneering movies going back to long boards at waikiki etcetc...there were quite a few done through that Beach Boys era I'll see if I can find ones worthwhile watching.

Thanks mate, appreciated. Children of the Sun is defo my favourite surfing and longboard movie ever, a great watch. Have you seen it?
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

yes I recall it.
Took me back checking up this one, early Angourie days ! classic lines for those long boarding days. I always wanted to to finally make it to Raglan after seeing that, haven't made it there.
The innocence of those early movies are funny nowadays.

Love Football

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Does boogie boarding count? :D

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Well, to the groms and alike who have a ignorance issue yes lol, to me, I've watched some amazing esky lid riders - its another skill to me. Spinning around like a top yet having control haha. I even try it for fun with my boys, raid the flags and freak out the swimmers lol......

I don't know are other modes of surfing frowned on heavily like it was back in my days ?
Localism ? I used to watch "tourists" "kooks"  those who were not "locals" have such a hard time - learners, just as any sport its never easy mixing with those who know.
Used to sit out the back and watch some guys give these blokes heaps, got to the point of fists, get back on the beach and carry on with it. TBH I felt for the poor guys but they should have surfed elsewhere away from the more consistent break for your just asking for it.
Before boogies you had surf mats to guys riding knee boards < those guys copped heaps as well. You don't see any of these anymore.

Love Football

Edited
8 Years Ago by LFC.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Rofl well I went to Anglesea a while back for the year 12 get away (the last the school ever had ;)) and i grabbed my boogie board for s&g's. Turns out there were some serious waves and it was the only ever time I experienced decent surfing conditions. I searched up wave guides but have never had an experience quite like it. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Like your post TSF, I can picture the scene easily !

Love Football

Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Definitely not a stand up snob here. Started off as a kid on a boogieboard, still love watching it. 

You guys ever done any bodysurfing? The elite guys can do some crazy shit.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

LFC. - 8 Aug 2016 5:58 PM
Like your post TSF, I can picture the scene easily !

It wouldve been perfect surfing. 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

TSF, I have experienced many "perfect" sessions over my time, depending on the conditions/place/type of break etc it can look so perfecto but bite you at the same time lol.....
If your caught in the wrong zone your punishment sometimes can put the fear of god in you.

Surf snob , yer grew out of that long time ago thankfully, yer its mad, watch some of those guys with those hand fins, they rip it alright.
I've done it for the heck between the flags, got to get your timing right getting into one mad feeling sliding on your belly and at times get absolutely smashed in one those full of sand grinders, and I hate the sand all over me lol........

Love Football

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

LFC. - 8 Aug 2016 9:47 PM
TSF, I have experienced many "perfect" sessions over my time, depending on the conditions/place/type of break etc it can look so perfecto but bite you at the same time lol.....
If your caught in the wrong zone your punishment sometimes can put the fear of god in you.

Surf snob , yer grew out of that long time ago thankfully, yer its mad, watch some of those guys with those hand fins, they rip it alright.
I've done it for the heck between the flags, got to get your timing right getting into one mad feeling sliding on your belly and at times get absolutely smashed in one those full of sand grinders, and I hate the sand all over me lol........

Trust me, I've made my peace with god.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search