South Melbourne to launch A-League bid

South Melbourne to launch A-League bid

Author
chris
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Louisa desribed as an uncut diamond for football

In addition a successful property investor plus a politician and a deeply connected lawyer

Thats all i know but seems like a solid solid platform

If the governments gets behind this then you have to consider this bid as real

In 2015 and based on ratings of the smfc palm beach ffa cup match which peaked over 100,000 and settled on 40,000 viewers a task force was innitiated

Foxtel confirmed to club that smfc was massively popular outside victoria, not sure if they have any say moving forward

End of month will see club issue official bid and a massive well done to the club for keeping this bid so quiet for so long
Edited
8 Years Ago by chris
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Is that chen in the article pic? Shes a stunner lol
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

I guess the only thing they would need to is show how there wont be any racially fuelled fan violence at the games. The bid does sound great, but I think this will be a sticking point for the bid in the eyes of the FFA

Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

SMFC and Tassie ready to go, make it happen. They have the money and are going to stick around.

I want to see if Milos Lujic can cut it in the HAL. Almost a goal a game striker for South in the NPL.
RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

jaymz - 14 Nov 2016 10:10 PM
I guess the only thing they would need to is show how there wont be any racially fuelled fan violence at the games. The bid does sound great, but I think this will be a sticking point for the bid in the eyes of the FFA

paulc inbound. :laugh:
Edited
8 Years Ago by FunkMasterFlex
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Not one other club existing and bidding can say they can be sustainable with 1,500 crowds lol!

That's where the South have to play to their strengths. If the FFA wants a low risk option sustainably which creates talking points, bring them in.

RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

spado - 14 Nov 2016 9:26 PM
It begs the question, if we get 4 solid bids, whats the chance of FFA admitting all four?  Or at least guaranteeing 3rd & 4th best a staggered admission later on?

No chance, I have a feeling this is just the FFA teasing fans with what they want and they will just shutdown all potential bids with bullshit excuses.
RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro

aussie pride - 14 Nov 2016 10:18 PM
Not one other club existing and bidding can say they can be sustainable with 1,500 crowds lol!That's where the South have to play to their strengths. If the FFA wants a low risk option sustainably which creates talking points, bring them in.

FFA don't like clubs making money, only they can.
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

hellas_johnny - 14 Nov 2016 9:28 PM
Just when a few of us were mentioning how there wasn't anything form south about a bid this comes up lol.  Happy we're having a crack again, don't think we would get it ahead of tasi and strikers but gotta keep giving it a go.  hearing that the strikers bid is very strong.

Where are u hearing that the strikers bid is strong. Details or sauce?
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Let's face it, it will not happen no matter if they deserve it or it would be a successfully run club. 

williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

chris - 14 Nov 2016 10:03 PM
Louisa Chen apparently connected with ASIAN Football and investment potential

More on her soon, however been desribed as an uncut diamond for football

In addition a successful property investor plus a politician and a deeply connected lawyer

Thats all i know but seems like a solid solid platform

If the governments gets behind this then you have to consider this bid as real

In 2015 and based on ratings of the smfc palm beach ffa cup match which peaked over 100,000 and settled on 40,000 viewers a task force was innitiated

Foxtel confirmed to club that smfc was massively popular outside victoria, not sure if they have any say moving forward

End of month will see club issue official bid and a massive well done to the club for keeping this bid so quiet for so long

err no. a sunday afternoon a-league game would be lucky to peak at 100,000. let alone that game u refer to
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

chris - 14 Nov 2016 9:36 PM
7000 average before $1 Marketing dollar is even spent

They are averaging 7k at npl? yeah right
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Summon forth he from the resort.

Have their first game against Roar pls.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Jong Gabe
Jong Gabe
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Just give me more teams pls.

E

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

Davo1985 - 14 Nov 2016 10:24 PM
hellas_johnny - 14 Nov 2016 9:28 PM

Where are u hearing that the strikers bid is strong. Details or sauce

Source*
Midfielder
Midfielder
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

I hope they get in, they were so close when Hal started
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

9GABmeme420 - 14 Nov 2016 10:30 PM
Just give me more teams pls.

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Would SMFC have to sign up to the A-League franchise agreement like the other clubs?
Gayfish
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Gyfox - 14 Nov 2016 10:41 PM
Would SMFC have to sign up to the A-League franchise agreement like the other clubs?

Yep.
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)

williamn - 14 Nov 2016 10:24 PM
chris - 14 Nov 2016 10:03 PM

err no. a sunday afternoon a-league game would be lucky to peak at 100,000. let alone that game u refer to

Peak audience is not average audience.

Average Audience is the number quoted for ratings and in this forum. Peak audience is the most amount of people watching at one time.

100,000 isn't surprising considering the match went to penalties anyway.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Could have a South Melbourne and a Geelong side? 

Other thing I can think of as a sticking point is City. They still have terrible attendances and no defined fan base as yet. Could they survive a third Melbourne team? Would a third Melbourne galvanise more people to support football, and more people to get aboard City as well as South Melbourne. Would they take more fans from City or Victory?

ARNIE= LEGEND

Victory>Heart
Victory>Heart
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

RedKat - 14 Nov 2016 10:58 PM
Could have a South Melbourne and a Geelong side? 

Other thing I can think of as a sticking point is City. They still have terrible attendances and no defined fan base as yet. Could they survive a third Melbourne team? Would a third Melbourne galvanise more people to support football, and more people to get aboard City as well as South Melbourne. Would they take more fans from City or Victory?

City are the most secure club in the league, they have absolutely no problems. Their crowds will be good this year and it's unfair to judge them off a Thursday night match + one Friday game that had biblical rain. Wait until summer before saying they have terrible crowds.

agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

You can't have another Melbourne side yet, city are not strong enough yet to have another team come in and possibly cannalbilise their support. South would probably  struggle for crowds, south weren't really setting the world on fire with crowds in the last year of the nsl avg about 6k, they would have half that rusted on support now.
This smacks of just getting in on the action, with all the other bids, I am all for Tasmania as it is an untapped market for the game & one of Brisbane or Wollongong for the other . 
absent
absent
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Gyfox - 14 Nov 2016 10:41 PM

I'd imagine that the club would remain a seperate entity to the franchisee, of which SMFC are the major controller of a 'South Melbourne United' type bid.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I used to be against ethnic teams, I still don't like teams based on ethnicity, but bring them in purely to just hate them.

As for metrics this would not only add a rival for Victory and City, but also give a rival to Perth, plus give a bumper crowd if a Tasmanian side is admitted.

I hope if there are more than 2 good expansion bids the FFA doesn't just tell the losing bids to fuck off.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Iridium1010
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 14 Nov 2016 10:26 PM
Summon forth he from the resort.

Have their first game against Roar pls.

-PB

2 ethnic teams in the league. What a time to be alive
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

agga78 - 14 Nov 2016 11:05 PM
You can't have another Melbourne side yet, city are not strong enough yet to have another team come in and possibly cannalbilise their support. South would probably  struggle for crowds, south weren't really setting the world on fire with crowds in the last year of the nsl avg about 6k, they would have half that rusted on support now.
This smacks of just getting in on the action, with all the other bids, I am all for Tasmania as it is an untapped market for the game & one of Brisbane or Wollongong for the other . 

Your using the nsl as a measuring stick? By that reasoning the Glory should be killing it 
stryker
stryker
Amateur
Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)

Will not happen. Not next year , not in the next five years at least. 3 teams all playing out of Melbourne with various colors of blue.  Have you ever been to a South game at NPL . Barely a few hundred turn up.  Geelong would be the way to go  if another team is to be brought in.  Seems at South they just got a whiff of the expansion buzz and just caught on.
switters
switters
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

not enough facebook likes and ranks low on the ffa metrics scale.
bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

I think wollongong wolves said they could be ready in 6mths (from the daily football show 'next addition' expansion series of podcast) so they could be included in next years season too.

Bring them and south melbourne in now for the new season. The best way to bring 'old soccer' together with 'new football'. Inclusion.

What more inclusive way to do that then by adding two of Australia's greatest football clubs. 4 times champions SM. And two time champions and the first non metro football champions in australian history Wollongong wolves.

Round 1 of the 2017-18 season should kick off of a friday night to a packed win stadium on FTA.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search