Casey-Dandenong soccer clubs ready to unite behind local push for an A-League license

Casey-Dandenong soccer clubs ready to unite behind local push for an...

Author
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
hutchonholiday - 18 Nov 2016 12:59 PM
11.mvfc.11 - 18 Nov 2016 12:55 PM

Well, for one, that's not gentrification.

Definition of gentrification is an influx of higher income people moving in to a lower socioeconomic region and renovating property, building new infrastructure and driving property values up therefore making it harder for the traditional residents out of the area as they can no longer afford to live there.

So if you're claiming people are leaving the area due to the rise in violence and crime, that ain't gentrification.

Spot on. Totally wrong term to use.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

southmelb - 19 Nov 2016 7:26 PM
Most of the votes for the other 2 would be from people that don't want south in for obvious reasons as opposed to supporting the other 2, half the vote is a pretty significant win overall, we obviously outnumber the haters. Would have thought the fastest growing region in Victoria would run us a bit closer.

Speaking of regions, I've got a question and I'm sure if the FFA are talking to South this would be a major talking point.. Who exactly does South Melbourne represent now, or who do they intended to represent? I'm sure 99% of their fans don't actually live in South Melbourne the suburb. Are they aiming to represent the South of Melbourne? How do they stop becoming just another broad based Melbourne team?

Reason why I ask this is that they already have a great supporter base for an NPL club and I reckon they'd do well to begin with, however how does South grow in the future, other than appealing to Greeks?
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 19 Nov 2016 11:09 AM
azzaMVFC - 19 Nov 2016 9:40 AM

They can already get fucked

Ok ok how about the Dandenong Celtic then? Make you happy?

Edited
8 Years Ago by Davo1985
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

HortoMagiko - 19 Nov 2016 1:00 PM
Midfielder - 19 Nov 2016 12:50 PM

Precicelsy midfielder. Youre out of your depth again. Try understanding what youre talking about before making such lofty statements like "best bid in years".

"stadium is the only issue "

Ok. Just the superfluous little irrelevant stadium thingy... And other than the fact that the proposal is for a not yet invented club, the ffa must be barking not jumping on this with both feet.

Ps. I mean who doesn't want hal teams to play out of AFL stadiums.. Thanks but no thanks.

I think moving forward one of the absolute pre requisites is that any bid that comes forward has to have as an absolute must a rectangular seat stadium. No more ovals. If there is one thing that we all know for certain, is that oval shaped venues for our code loses much of the attraction of going to a live game, as so much of the atmosphere is lost unless you are able to fill for the stadium up to the brim and even then it's debatable.

So to be honest at present I dont think many of the bids really stack up. 

Tasmania - No
Sth Melb - Maybe if they put up stands behind goals (unlikely)
Geelong - No
2nd Brisbane - Possibly yes
Sth Sydney - Possibly yes

Hutch
Hutch
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Davo1985 - 21 Nov 2016 1:31 PM
HortoMagiko - 19 Nov 2016 1:00 PM

I think moving forward one of the absolute pre requisites is that any bid that comes forward has to have as an absolute must a rectangular seat stadium. No more ovals. If there is one thing that we all know for certain, is that oval shaped venues for our code loses much of the attraction of going to a live game, as so much of the atmosphere is lost unless you are able to fill for the stadium up to the brim and even then it's debatable.

So to be honest at present I dont think many of the bids really stack up. 

Tasmania - No
Sth Melb - Maybe if they put up stands behind goals (unlikely)
Geelong - No
2nd Brisbane - Possibly yes
Sth Sydney - Possibly yes

Casey does mention that the bid and the council want to redevelop the showgrounds, so you'd expect that to be a new, rectangular stadium.

The Tassie bid talks of a redevelopment of Nth Hobart, but is that just to increase capacity/amenities and not convert to rectangular?

But ultimately, it won't be a stopper, and shouldn't be. Plenty of teams around the world play in oval stadiums with running tracks etc around the pitch.

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

The perfect template for Dandenong showgrounds?
Demountable system which has worked wonder in PNG. 
15,000 seats overall with room to expand to 25,000 if ever needed.
Almost $100M US to build off shore

http://populous.com/project/png-national-football-stadium/

The redeveloped stadium will include 3,000 permanent seats and 9,000 lightweight seats, with an ultimate capacity of 25,000 permanent seats. The facility will also include 500
corporate seats, a viewing deck and members seating for an additional 300 people.
The main issue Populous had to overcome for this design was cost. The project had a low budget and Papua New Guinea has a very small manufacturing base meaning all material
had to be manufactured overseas and shipped in ce Lloyd Robson Oval in Boroko, Port Moresby.

The ground is being redeveloped by Oil Search Limited for the people of Papua New Guinea through the National Infrastructure Tax Credit Scheme.

Due for completion for the commencement of the 2016 season, the new ground will be a modern facility that will host local and international rugby league, rugby union, and soccer matches. The modern design and proximity to the field of play will ensure patrons will have the best views and atmosphere ever experienced at any sports venue in PNG.

The state-of-the-art facility includes:
·         25,000 ultimate seating capacity, including general admission, wheelchair and carer positions and enhanced amenity seats
·         international standard, quick draining, low maintenance turf playing surface
·         air-conditioned corporate facilities
·         modern media facilities
·         numerous food and beverage outlets featuring local street food cuisine
·         modern public washroom amenities.

The new stadium will be redeveloped in 2 stages, with stage 1 capacity of 15,000 seats targeting partial completion for hosting the 2015 Pacific Games in July 2015. Stage 2 will see the stadium continue to grow to 25,000 seat capacity, complete with facilities for national player training and rehabilitation facilities.

And Everyone Blamed Clive
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Lightweight seats eh !

Should be able to chuck them a long way.

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Hutch
Hutch
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Actually looks like a sweet stadium.

TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

I like the idea. I wonder if there is room for both SM and SE melb. They are very simular catchment areas. 

On a stadium I think they need a bare bones stadium and a team playing in the NPL. With plans to get a full stadium if they get accepted. Probably needs to be no bigger than 15k max to begin with
Jeff
Jeff
Amateur
Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)Amateur (603 reputation)

Frankston Pines
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I've heard an interesting rumour today that could have legs.
The local Dandenong Aussie rules side currently plays at the Showgrounds.

Well apparently their really struggling financially and owe the council money.
On top of this they are struggling on the field with numbers and results.

Apparently the council are really putting the heat on them and basically want them out so they can use the oval for soccer.
Weather it be for this bid or junior it remains to be seen. However considering its at the same area that was mentioned in the article it's probably worth posting.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

How would a stadium in the South East be viable though?

The HAL would likely offer less than 20 home games a year and there are no other sports that realistically would need to use it.

RL and RU won't have a regular use for it, NPL matches for any clubs in the area also don't need 15-20k capacity stadiums so that really just leaves concerts.

Football specific stadiums sound great but the economics would be very hard to make work.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
azzaMVFC - 21 Nov 2016 1:18 PM
southmelb - 19 Nov 2016 7:26 PM

Speaking of regions, I've got a question and I'm sure if the FFA are talking to South this would be a major talking point.. Who exactly does South Melbourne represent now, or who do they intended to represent? I'm sure 99% of their fans don't actually live in South Melbourne the suburb. Are they aiming to represent the South of Melbourne? How do they stop becoming just another broad based Melbourne team?

Reason why I ask this is that they already have a great supporter base for an NPL club and I reckon they'd do well to begin with, however how does South grow in the future, other than appealing to Greeks?

My previous understanding was that the club would focus on promotional activities through the south and south-east corridor (which is ironic considering the Dandenong bid) - differentiating themselves on the basis that Victory and City both try to claim the whole city, whereas South would be genuinely claiming one part. 
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class

Greater Dandenong Mayor Jim Memeti has declared Victorian’s southeast region could house an A-League team “as early as July”, but would play matches at AAMI Park to begin with.The region has thrown its hat into the ring to be apart of the next round of A-League expansion, due to take place in 2018-19, and would likely encompass the Greater Dandenong region and the City of Casey.Cr Memeti says training facilities in Dandenong could be ready by July, and the bid has identified a long-term home.“We would have training facilities ready to go as early as July,” Memeti told SEN Afternoons.
“The council is constructing a $12 million football precinct … we would have training facilities ready to go straight away.“Potentially, we could be playing home games at AAMI Park. In the future, the (Dandenong) Showgrounds in Bennet St, we could probably built a boutique stadium to hold about 20,000 people.“I think the hunger that this area has for sport, it’s second to none. Football has just taken off.“The sport that everyone’s talking about and wants to be apart of is football. I think the time is right.”

http://outside90.com/greater-dandenong-mayor-southeast-victoria-a-league-team-ready-to-go-next-year-245/

Edited
8 Years Ago by aussie pride
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
aussie pride - 15 Dec 2016 2:24 PM

Greater Dandenong Mayor Jim Memeti has declared Victorian’s southeast region could house an A-League team “as early as July”, but would play matches at AAMI Park to begin with.The region has thrown its hat into the ring to be apart of the next round of A-League expansion, due to take place in 2018-19, and would likely encompass the Greater Dandenong region and the City of Casey.Cr Memeti says training facilities in Dandenong could be ready by July, and the bid has identified a long-term home.“We would have training facilities ready to go as early as July,” Memeti told SEN Afternoons.
“The council is constructing a $12 million football precinct … we would have training facilities ready to go straight away.“Potentially, we could be playing home games at AAMI Park. In the future, the (Dandenong) Showgrounds in Bennet St, we could probably built a boutique stadium to hold about 20,000 people.“I think the hunger that this area has for sport, it’s second to none. Football has just taken off.“The sport that everyone’s talking about and wants to be apart of is football. I think the time is right.”

http://outside90.com/greater-dandenong-mayor-southeast-victoria-a-league-team-ready-to-go-next-year-245/

Have they submitted a formal bid yet?
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Playing at aami park is instant death..i mean they would need to close off parts of the bottom tiers as well for this.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
southmelb - 15 Dec 2016 2:48 PM
Playing at aami park is instant death..i mean they would need to close off parts of the bottom tiers as well for this.

F@#$/ off memeti you retard. 

Football illiterate Mayors should sftu and stay away from football.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

southmelb - 15 Dec 2016 2:48 PM

Yeah it wouldn't be a good start, they would need a couple of years lead in to build their stadium you would think and generate some genuine interest. If it's just the NPL clubs coming together, it's not getting the general public involved. But if there is a lead in, it could work, but you would have to think it's a long way off really.
It's an interesting proposal this Casey united bid, I don't know what to think of it tbh.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

To be honest they're just following the south and Tasmania line of "we would be ready next year" only this is garbage.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to realise the chances of a stadium built out there is extremely remote, they would be permanently based at AAMI park with training facilities in Casey.

If they were gonna play in the cbd area lakeside would at least create the illusion that they have some point of difference.

IMO no way the ffa goes for this, not even at the expense of SM and that's saying something.
moops
moops
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

southmelb - 15 Dec 2016 5:32 PM
To be honest they're just following the south and Tasmania line of "we would be ready next year" only this is garbage.Doesn't take a brain surgeon to realise the chances of a stadium built out there is extremely remote, they would be permanently based at AAMI park with training facilities in Casey.If they were gonna play in the cbd area lakeside would at least create the illusion that they have some point of difference.IMO no way the ffa goes for this, not even at the expense of SM and that's saying something.

Agree mate.

Pluss I think FFA already have their teams in mind, regardless of bids put forward. But we'll just have to wait and see, it's not over till the fat lady sings and the band is only warming up at this stage.
stryker
stryker
Amateur
Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)

Third Victorian team in the Dandenong catchment makes sense from a football growth point of view .  Melbourne is serviced by both City and Victory and that is more than enough.
Football has to take advantage of the growth corridor that is  South East Victoria . They are crying out for a sporting team to follow ever since the AFL  gave the area the flick.
stryker
stryker
Amateur
Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)

The idea of 6 soccer clubs from different backgrounds coming together is very exciting and has never been done b4 in AUSTRALIA.  This is the sort of thing the FFA will be looking for in their criteria. ITS CALLED BRINGING TOGETHER THE GRASSROOTS. 
moops
moops
Pro

stryker - 15 Dec 2016 6:27 PM
Third Victorian team in the Dandenong catchment makes sense from a football growth point of view .  Melbourne is serviced by both City and Victory and that is more than enough.
Football has to take advantage of the growth corridor that is  South East Victoria . They are crying out for a sporting team to follow ever since the AFL  gave the area the flick.

Dandenong used to have four small sided football courts (not sure if the right word) just opposite the station, there were always kids playing when I went past. Knox city has that football centre, it sounds great, I've never seen it.

http://www.footballfedvic.com.au/council-hq/facilities/knox-regional-football-centre/

So it's growing in participation for sure, it's still AFL heartland in terms of support though. So a small stadium and a lead in to drum up interest and excitement could do wonders and a good way of uniting different cultures.
But a lot of work to be done.
moops
moops
Pro

stryker - 15 Dec 2016 6:43 PM
The idea of 6 soccer clubs from different backgrounds coming together is very exciting and has never been done b4 in AUSTRALIA.  This is the sort of thing the FFA will be looking for in their criteria. ITS CALLED BRINGING TOGETHER THE GRASSROOTS. 

I reckon that's the most exciting part about it, the Casey area is probably one of the most culturally diverse areas in Melb and why it could work.
I don't think there has been much planning done though, which is why I don't think they are ready.
Strikers94
Strikers94
Super Fan
Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)Super Fan (158 reputation)

stryker - 15 Dec 2016 6:43 PM

lol
http://westernpridefc.com.au/about-western-pride-football-club/

Ipswich did this half a decade ago. 
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

This bid along with south western Sydney make the most sense... I can see a small stadium being built for the C-D bid...

Question for a local...

Both the C-D bid and the SM bid are claiming south east Melbourne...

Can someone explain are they in the same area or are they different.

moops
moops
Pro

Midfielder - 15 Dec 2016 8:12 PM
This bid along with south western Sydney make the most sense... I can see a small stadium being built for the C-D bid...

Question for a local...

Both the C-D bid and the SM bid are claiming south east Melbourne...

Can someone explain are they in the same area or are they different.

South Melb is inner city,

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/South+Melbourne+VIC+3205/@-37.8218151,144.9328666,12.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6ad667fc041b9c61:0x5045675218ce850!8m2!3d-37.835!4d144.96

http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/demographics.htm

Casey is outer suburbs.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/search/casey+council/@-37.878067,145.0032608,9.5z

http://profile.id.com.au/casey

City of dandenong is outer subs

http://www.greaterdandenong.com/document/42/statistics-and-data

http://www.communityprofile.com.au/greaterdandenong

Edited
8 Years Ago by moops
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
The Dandenong bid is pie in the sky stuff.

Yes, it's a growth corridor out in the sticks (the outer Western suburbs are a growth corridor too, but you wouldn't put a new club out there).  The Mayor is keen to get government funding to build a new stadium, and good on him, that's his job.

But the idea that such a club could be bigger than South in the short to medium term is too ridiculous for words.

Melbourne's inner-city stadium set-up works, it's proven - everything else is fantasy land.
MCMH
MCMH
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

This is perfect. Training facilities at Casey where they train, have HQ and can play NPL, W-League etc games.
And then boutique stadium at Dandenong connecting the 2 train lines. 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-expansion-city-of-casey-ready-to-build-20m-training-facility-if-new-team-gets-green-light/news-story/848bbd2900b15e8cc8a018310e91c6fa

moops
moops
Pro

pippinu - 16 Dec 2016 8:21 AM
The Dandenong bid is pie in the sky stuff.

Yes, it's a growth corridor out in the sticks (the outer Western suburbs are a growth corridor too, but you wouldn't put a new club out there).  The Mayor is keen to get government funding to build a new stadium, and good on him, that's his job.

But the idea that such a club could be bigger than South in the short to medium term is too ridiculous for words.

Melbourne's inner-city stadium set-up works, it's proven - everything else is fantasy land.

Sticks?
you have got to get out more
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search