A-League salary cap punishes success, writes Mark Bosnich

A-League salary cap punishes success, writes Mark Bosnich

Author
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
mouflonrouge - 14 Jan 2017 2:55 PM
mcjules - 14 Jan 2017 2:51 PM

Let's be honest here.

The above are not really Marquees because the FFA calls them so. Fornaroli for instance was a washout from the Greek Super League. he couldn't take a trick there and here is is all of a sudden a marquee, which in my opinion says a lot about the standard of our league. 

Sorry that's not how the marquee works though it's easy to make that mistake because that's how it was intended to be. Marquees can be anyone the club wants them to be, they're essentially just players whose wages aren't included in the cap.

The only spot that FFA has any proper say over is the guest player which is the one that Tim Cahill is signed on.

I agree, the standard of the league is mid-tier at best but it's quite entertaining and I love my Reds. However, the cap being removed isn't going to make even the richest teams FIFA Club World Cup contenders.  It's going just going to lower competitiveness in our own league and related consequences.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
mcjules - 14 Jan 2017 3:13 PM
mouflonrouge - 14 Jan 2017 2:55 PM

Sorry that's not how the marquee works though it's easy to make that mistake because that's how it was intended to be. Marquees can be anyone the club wants them to be, they're essentially just players whose wages aren't included in the cap.

The only spot that FFA has any proper say over is the guest player which is the one that Tim Cahill is signed on.

I agree, the standard of the league is mid-tier at best but it's quite entertaining and I love my Reds. However, the cap being removed isn't going to make even the richest teams FIFA Club World Cup contenders.  It's going just going to lower competitiveness in our own league and related consequences.

Well that just makes it worse. 

If we can't afford to buy some stars, just make a marquee out of anyone that you just want to retain. 

We need some players like David Villa, not make a marquee out of the Berisha's and Fornaroli's. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 14 Jan 2017 3:02 PM
sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 2:35 PM

Bahahaha. Spl... we have bundesliga, la liga, epl, eridivise, serie a......not to mention all the sth american leagues... and let alone our own confed jleague etc......... and you choose spl as your go-to. How convenient. And ridiculous. And indicative of the small bubble you live in, in terms of football.

The Bundesliga and La Liga and Eredivise have three teams that can win the title not one. I don't know much about South American leagues so I can't comment about them. The J-League seems to be a competitive league because there isn't one club way richer than the rest.
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 14 Jan 2017 3:16 PM
mcjules - 14 Jan 2017 3:13 PM

Well that just makes it worse. 

If we can't afford to buy some stars, just make a marquee out of anyone that you just want to retain. 

So scoring 29 goals in 33 games is not worthy of marquee status?
Edited
7 Years Ago by sub007
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 14 Jan 2017 2:35 PM

I think you quoted the wrong post. Anyway basketball is almost as huge as football and there is a massive international talent pool of players. Rugby League and Union also have international talent pools and have capped leagues. Ice Hockey is another.

I've already asked why you think they'll get better (I assume international) players without a cap? They have a marquee rule already and this is who they have:
Victory: Berisha, Bozanic
City: Fornaroli, Colazo
WSW: Martinez
Sydney: Holosko, Bobo

All perfectly decent players but are any of those that much better than some of the non-marquee visa players? Maybe Fornaroli and Berisha but they came here within the salary cap.

Where it's damaging is that City and the others will take the good Australian players from the clubs with a smaller wage bill. A bunch of inexperienced kids and NPL players are going to have a tough time being "organised" enough to win anything.

This is where my comment on growing the overall talent pool comes from. They may not win anything but they gain experience and are given an opportunity sooner that may not have came about with a salary cap.  
At the moment you have younger player stuck on the bench because a salary cap is spreads the talent evenly. Remove the salary cap and you will end up with the bigger clubs buying the more experience and 'proven' player from the smaller clubs which in turn pushes out the younger player from the bigger clubs who go looking for game time at the smaller clubs. 
Throw in transfer fees(which you would assume goes hand in hand with removing the cap) and it becomes more beneficial for the smaller clubs to play their own products as opposed to signing the journeyman that we see float from club to club each transfer period. 

sub007
sub007
World Class

mouflonrouge - 14 Jan 2017 2:35 PM

I think you quoted the wrong post. Anyway basketball is almost as huge as football and there is a massive international talent pool of players. Rugby League and Union also have international talent pools and have capped leagues. Ice Hockey is another.

I've already asked why you think they'll get better (I assume international) players without a cap? They have a marquee rule already and this is who they have:
Victory: Berisha, Bozanic
City: Fornaroli, Colazo
WSW: Martinez
Sydney: Holosko, Bobo

All perfectly decent players but are any of those that much better than some of the non-marquee visa players? Maybe Fornaroli and Berisha but they came here within the salary cap.

Where it's damaging is that City and the others will take the good Australian players from the clubs with a smaller wage bill. A bunch of inexperienced kids and NPL players are going to have a tough time being "organised" enough to win anything.

This.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 3:17 PM
HortoMagiko - 14 Jan 2017 3:02 PM

The Bundesliga and La Liga and Eredivise have three teams that can win the title not one. I don't know much about South American leagues so I can't comment about them. The J-League seems to be a competitive league because there isn't one club way richer than the rest.

None of the leagues i mentioned have a salary cap. And has it stopped fans watching the league? Has it brought the doomsday scenario that youre spruiking?

No it hasnt. 

Id go with reality.... in the real world....over your speculation and fear mongering.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

bigpoppa - 14 Jan 2017 3:22 PM

This is where my comment on growing the overall talent pool comes from. They may not win anything but they gain experience and are given an opportunity sooner that may not have came about with a salary cap.  
At the moment you have younger player stuck on the bench because a salary cap is spreads the talent evenly. Remove the salary cap and you will end up with the bigger clubs buying the more experience and 'proven' player from the smaller clubs which in turn pushes out the younger player from the bigger clubs who go looking for game time at the smaller clubs. 
Throw in transfer fees(which you would assume goes hand in hand with removing the cap) and it becomes more beneficial for the smaller clubs to play their own products as opposed to signing the journeyman that we see float from club to club each transfer period. 

Right now we get our best youth playing regularly in good sides learning off experienced players.  We've had teams that were loaded with youth players already when owners have cracked the shits. They finished bottom and very few of those players kicked on.

sub007
sub007
World Class

HortoMagiko - 14 Jan 2017 3:27 PM
sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 3:17 PM

None of the leagues i mentioned have a salary cap. And has it stopped fans watching the league? Has it brought the doomsday scenario that youre spruiking?

No it hasnt. 

Id go with reality.... in the real world....over your speculation and fear mongering.

I was talking about leagues which only have one team that can win the title so you missed my point.
Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 14 Jan 2017 2:28 PM
Gruen - 14 Jan 2017 2:19 PM

You seem to imply that club owners will not somehow find a way to survive in the league.

This is more fear mongering and as you can see from dozens of leagues around the world that do not have a salary cap, the sky has not caved in. On the contrary, the other teams remain competitive and survive.

Abolition of salary cap will just mean that about 4 to 5 teams will be dominant but it will not necessarily translate to trophies as it is unlikely that teams like Melbourne City or Melbourne Victory will just open the purse strings without engaging proper business cost evaluation processes. No team or business person will just throw away their money. 

It could however help the league to recruit proper real Football Stars rather than a few has beens. Imagine the draw card and the media interest for one, and the other teams would be eager to play against them on the same field. It's inspiring and the quality of our game will inevitably rise and our young players will improve too. 

It's a win for every single club and the league in its entirety. Far more important than the CCM winning the league which they could still do provided they recruit well and play as a cohesive unit with great team play and chemistry. 

I am not implying anything and I am not trying to argue for a salary cap.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 3:35 PM
HortoMagiko - 14 Jan 2017 3:27 PM

I was talking about leagues which only have one team that can win the title so you missed my point.

So have fans stopped watching spl now have they? 

Youre creating a point out of thin air to suit your narrative.

And What is your point exactly? That if we remove tge salary cap then we will become spl, who havent failed anyway, instead of becoming any of the other 200 odd leagues in the world that dont have a salary cap. Thats the extent of your argument. 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 14 Jan 2017 2:30 PM
Gruen - 14 Jan 2017 2:19 PM

You just need to look at the rammifications of having the salary cap. You dont need to look at the "rammifications", as it were, of removing a rule that didn't belong there in the first place. 

Changing a rule, any rule, without looking at what effect that change will have is beyond stupid.
sub007
sub007
World Class

HortoMagiko - 14 Jan 2017 3:41 PM
sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 3:35 PM

So have fans stopped watching spl now have they? 

Youre creating a point out of thin air to suit your narrative.

And What is your point exactly? That if we remove tge salary cap then we will become spl, who havent failed anyway, instead of becoming any of the other 200 odd leagues in the world that dont have a salary cap. Thats the extent of your argument. 

My argument is that the league becomes boring like the SPL as one team (Melbourne City) would win the title every year as they can outspend everyone.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 3:18 PM
mouflonrouge - 14 Jan 2017 3:16 PM

So scoring 29 goals in 33 games is not worthy of marquee status?

Probably in the A league, which is the problem.

In the Greek Super League he didn't even get a lot of time on the field let alone score goals, and he was dropped. 

This to me indicates we need to raise our standards. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 3:44 PM

My argument is that the league becomes boring like the SPL as one team (Melbourne City) would win the title every year as they can outspend everyone.

I don't believe that is the case. MVFC, Sydney, and WSW would also be in it and will likely spend as much as city. 
Gruen
Gruen
Pro

Is there any football league in the world that has gone from being a salary capped league to being a non salary capped league?

It is obvious there are a large number leagues that exist successfully without a salary cap and probably the A-league could be one as well, but the transition would need to be done carefully so that clubs don't fall over. I have no idea how likely it is that clubs would fall over but it needs to be determined. Are Griffin and co or Sage or even the City group going to view the changed circumstances and possible higher costs of a club and decide that perhaps they do not want to be involved? 
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

A rigged comp is boring. 

So, two teams can out spend everyone in most leagues in the world. And it hasnt killed the leagues or fanbases or become boring. 

Youre clinging to this one team will dominate theory. (Which isnt true. There is no way it wouldn't spur on mvfc to secure more investment and continue to dominate the comp...or to be bought out by mufc for that matter the same way heart were bought out)  but lets entertain your horror story anyway ..... city bring Ronaldo and messi here next season... you think this is bad for football? Engaging 100% of the participants is a bad thing? Getting the entire country salivating and enaged in the game with media going completely bonkers in an orgasmic frenzy will hurt the game? Fkn lol. 

Im a mv fan and i welcome the competition. If mv are the proverbial mufc and city are the proverbial man city... then bring it on noisy neighbors...football is a competitive beast where there darwinian principle of survival applies. Thats life. 

Besides how does your out-spending theory apply to Leicester city? 
Stop. With. The. Fear. Mongering.

Ange Postecoglou

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

Gruen - 14 Jan 2017 4:00 PM
Is there any football league in the world that has gone from being a salary capped league to being a non salary capped league?

It is obvious there are a large number leagues that exist successfully without a salary cap and probably the A-league could be one as well, but the transition would need to be done carefully so that clubs don't fall over. I have no idea how likely it is that clubs would fall over but it needs to be determined. Are Griffin and co or Sage or even the City group going to view the changed circumstances and possible higher costs of a club and decide that perhaps they do not want to be involved? 

No. 

And think about what youre saying.... clubs will have their shackles removed and they wont be happy about it? 

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
7 Years Ago by HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

mouflonrouge - 14 Jan 2017 3:56 PM
sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 3:18 PM

Probably in the A league, which is the problem.

In the Greek Super League he didn't even get a lot of time on the field let alone score goals, and he was dropped. 

This to me indicates we need to raise our standards. 

Makes me wonder about kiwi messi... i wasnt initially gung-ho on bringing him back - especially instead of signing diamanti...

How he can dissappear into obscurity in europe...and how he kills it in the hal...makes me a little skeptical about how our non existent defenses stack up against european defenses tbh and the true mark of his abilities. One things for sure. He does kill it in the hal. 

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
7 Years Ago by HortoMagiko
sub007
sub007
World Class

HortoMagiko - 14 Jan 2017 4:02 PM

A rigged comp is boring. 

So, two teams can out spend everyone in most leagues in the world. And it hasnt killed the leagues or fanbases or become boring. 

Youre clinging to this one team will dominate theory. (Which isnt true. There is no way it wouldn't spur on mvfc to secure more investment and continue to dominate the comp...or to be bought out by mufc for that matter the same way heart were bought out)  but lets entertain your horror story anyway ..... city bring Ronaldo and messi here next season... you think this is bad for football? Engaging 100% of the participants is a bad thing? Getting the entire country salivating and enaged in the game with media going completely bonkers in an orgasmic frenzy will hurt the game? Fkn lol. 

Im a mv fan and i welcome the competition. If mv are the proverbial mufc and city are the proverbial man city... then bring it on noisy neighbors...football is a competitive beast where there darwinian principle of survival applies. Thats life. 

Besides how does your out-spending theory apply to Leicester city? 
Stop. With. The. Fear. Mongering.

So having a comp where any team can beat anyone is boring? You also mention that other teams will spend more. Getting clubs to spend more money than what they have is a recipe for disaster. Look where that got Leeds, Portsmouth and Valencia. The only hope for clubs to compete with City is that they get purchased my mega rich investors.

City buying Messi and Ronaldo is a bad example as that will never happen.
Leicester is also a bad example as a side like them winning the titlewill only happen once in a few decades.
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 1:51 PM
bluebird - 14 Jan 2017 1:40 PM

This is a good thing. This keeps the league interesting. People won't watch a league where only one team can win the title. That's why no one gives a shit about the Scottish Premiership.

That's just an extreme doomsday rant that has no ground in reality

Out of all the leagues in the world, why is it only Australia and Scotland will end up like Scotland?

The Australian sports market is different. Investment is sport and the marketplace is fierce and competitive. There is just no way one team will dominate and everybody else will be left in their wake

We have 3 major metropolitan areas (and 2 secondary). The major areas have (will have) multiple teams. There is more than one foreign investor. Plenty of local investors with money. The 4+1 rule means Aussie talent determines league winners (not just buying in talent)

As for "people wont watch the league if its not interesting". This is also a poor argument with no grounding in reality

There have been no crowds of 0. CCM in their worst year got a better attendance than the season before. As mentioned, Aussies love sport. Even when CCM are performing poorly they still have WSW home games, or visiting marquees

Our league is built on the notion that the majority of people only want to watch their team win but its a complete load of shit. You are describing a handful of glory hunting casuals who only watch 1-2 games a year, and aren't watching the 9 seasons when it isn't their team's turn to win

And its a loss for the club, not for the league. The loss of one set of glory hunting fans is replaced by another as somebody's gotta win it

The Australian sports market has proven that teams cannot dominate for decades at a time. Usually its 4-5 years at most - with or without a salary cap. Even in the women's game where there is no cap and only two major academies developing talent we have seen 2-3 shifts of power

And as mentioned attendances and ratings are not at a level where we can conclusively say fans are captivated by the salary cap

The reasons against a salary cap are factual. The reasons for it are speculative

Edited
7 Years Ago by bluebird
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 4:18 PM
HortoMagiko - 14 Jan 2017 4:02 PM

So having a comp where any team can beat anyone is boring? You also mention that other teams will spend more. Getting clubs to spend more money than what they have is a recipe for disaster. Look where that got Leeds, Portsmouth and Valencia. The only hope for clubs to compete with City is that they get purchased my mega rich investors.

City buying Messi and Ronaldo is a bad example as that will never happen.
Leicester is also a bad example as a side like them winning the titlewill only happen once in a few decades.

Can ccm beat anyone can they? Can wellington? 

Yeah and Bad examples when i make them....but your selective examples arent bad? Bad examples when they debunk your weak speculation and fear mongering.

Look where that got Leeds, Portsmouth and Valencia. 
So they didnt know how to run a tight ship. They domt belong if they dont have good business acumen... heres a secret.. business that run badly fail. It doesnt mean that we outlaw competition because one or two clubs are shit at business.
And  look where it got reql madrid, barca, man city, man utd, bayern, juve AND leciester....and the million other success stories of world football... youre trolling with your worst possible case scenario bs.

The only hope for clubs to compete with City is that they get purchased my mega rich investors.
Welcome to reality. Welcome to a competitive market.
And you think that the entire league being paid out of a central pool..with a  % of that money being selectively aimed at one club...and having marquees whose wage bill is bigger than that of the entire league is the answer? Delusional.

"City buying Messi and Ronaldo is a bad example as that will never happen."
Wait you just said they can outspend everyone... make up your fuckinh mind. And youre deflecting my point on that. Weak as piss.. The real question here is though.... Which multi are you ? Ill go with draups.., hes the usual resident troll.

Ange Postecoglou

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

Gruen - 14 Jan 2017 4:00 PM

Not that I'm aware of but it's a great question.

We know our owners are supportive of a cap and aren't that happy with the continuous relaxing of the cap that's only helping the 4 big city teams. Perhaps one or two club owners who think they can benefit from it in terms of on-field success might like the idea of scrapping the cap. I wouldn't be surprised if none are that enthusiastic about scrapping it entirely. There's a reason why we have the league model we have at the moment and that's that it maximises revenues for the whole league. This hasn't gone unnoticed in Europe either and this super league that the big clubs want is basically a copy of the American league models.

As long as the cap is set within reasonable bounds, not too high and not too low, we're really not losing much by having it and we're gaining a lot in other ways.

sub007
sub007
World Class

bluebird - 14 Jan 2017 4:30 PM
sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 1:51 PM

That's just an extreme doomsday rant that has no ground in reality

Out of all the leagues in the world, why is it only Australia and Scotland will end up like Scotland?

The Australian sports market is different. Investment is sport and the marketplace is fierce and competitive. There is just no way one team will dominate and everybody else will be left in their wake

We have 3 major metropolitan areas (and 2 secondary). The major areas have (will have) multiple teams. There is more than one foreign investor. Plenty of local investors with money. The 4+1 rule means Aussie talent determines league winners (not just buying in talent)

As for "people wont watch the league if its not interesting". This is also a poor argument with no grounding in reality

There have been no crowds of 0. CCM in their worst year got a better attendance than the season before. As mentioned, Aussies love sport. Even when CCM are performing poorly they still have WSW home games, or visiting marquees

Our league is built on the notion that the majority of people only want to watch their team win but its a complete load of shit. You are describing a handful of glory hunting casuals who only watch 1-2 games a year, and aren't watching the 9 seasons when it isn't their team's turn to win

And its a loss for the club, not for the league. The loss of one set of glory hunting fans is replaced by another as somebody's gotta win it

The Australian sports market has proven that teams cannot dominate for decades at a time. Usually its 4-5 years at most - with or without a salary cap. Even in the women's game where there is no cap and only two major academies developing talent we have seen 2-3 shifts of power

The reasons against a salary cap are factual. The reasons against it are speculative

I used Scotland as an example as Celtic spend way more than the other clubs and win the title every year. In the A-League we have Melbourne City who have way more money than the other clubs. If the cap goes they can spend as much as they want to win the league and go far into the ACL. You also say that crowds won't change much. That is incorrect. I'm an Adelaide fan and when we play like shit our crowds drop off. For example at the start of the season we were getting 14,000 to games. For the last two games against Victory and City we have got 10000. I think I heard that the crowd we got against Victory was the lowest we have ever got against them. 

Your comment about the Australian sports market isn't relevant as most other sporting leagues in Australia  are salary capped if not all.

The W-League also has a salary cap so that comment is wrong.as well
Edited
7 Years Ago by sub007
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 4:43 PM

I used Scotland as an example as Celtic spend way more than the other clubs and win the title every year. In the A-League we have Melbourne City who have way more money than the other clubs. If the cap goes they can spend as much as they want to win the league and go far into the ACL. You also say that crowds won't change much. That is incorrect. I'm an Adelaide fan and when we play like shit our crowds drop off. For example at the start of the season we were getting 14,000 to games. For the last two games against Victory and City we have got 10000. I think I heard that the crowd we got against Victory was the lowest we have ever got against them. 

Your comment about the Australian sports market isn't relevant as most other sporting leagues in Australia  are salary capped if not all.

Pretty funny when he calls his side of the argument factual when it in fact contains errors and is full of speculation.

sub007
sub007
World Class

mcjules - 14 Jan 2017 4:46 PM

Pretty funny when he calls his side of the argument factual when it in fact contains errors and is full of speculation.

Are you referring to me or bluebird?
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

If your fans are fickle then that your problem. Domt hold back growth of the game because you have fairweather fans.

"Your comment about the Australian sports market isn't relevant as most other sporting leagues in Australia  are salary capped if not all."

Piss off draups. 

Ange Postecoglou

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

No its not. Point to where it is. Its easy to say stuff without backing it up jules.

Ange Postecoglou

sub007
sub007
World Class

HortoMagiko - 14 Jan 2017 4:47 PM

If your fans are fickle then that your problem. Domt hold back growth of the game because you have fairweather fans.

"Your comment about the Australian sports market isn't relevant as most other sporting leagues in Australia  are salary capped if not all."

Piss off draups. 

Every team has fairweather fans. 

I'm also not draups.
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

sub007 - 14 Jan 2017 4:47 PM

Are you referring to me or bluebird?

bluebird mate.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search