AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

Author
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Wouldn't be surprised if this AFLX concept starts out as a NRL 9s style gig with all the games crammed into a weekend during pre season.

They'll book out AAMI Park during HAL season and then have the media compare there one weekend of gimmicks with City vs Nix or something.
Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

evolution - 27 Feb 2017 1:21 PM
Girlfriend plays in a mixed AFL 9's social comp. My join up myself next season for a bit of extra fitness. Not going to get me paying attention to AFL or buying a Swans membership though.

Here in Newcastle is all Knights, Knights, Knights regardless of how crap they are going. Jets get some coverage, usually negative, and AFL is relegated to being lumped in with Basketball, Ice Hockey and Lawn Bowls.

your girlfriend is already counted as both a swans and GWS member

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

What a great laugh this thread is.

I've been around, and unfortunately for AFL, there is as much interest in the egg ball game as watching grass grow or paint dry. in fact, the latter 2 pursuits would be much more desirable than AFL is.

In contrast, there is significant interest in Cricket even in non Cricket countries. you see Cricket on the news and in the press often, but nothing about AFL. Zip! nada!

Even the Super Bowl has interest, but AFL.....nope.....nothing at all! 

Sorry to break it to the AFL boffins, but I did love it how they tried to put the Women's AFL in the way of Sokkah in order to stop it in its tracks.

All the FFA need to do, is polarize the A League with the following:
1) more teams - 4 new teams in the A League
2) they need South Melbourne to be one of them, and another 3 teams. 
3) A second tier semi pro (to start off with) league of 10 clubs with promo/relegation.

Then watch the AFL come up with more desperate brain waves to keep us entertained. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 9 Sep 2016 12:35 AM
Handball is s much bigger than than you give it credit tbh

My mistake Red Dog.I just checked and wow handball is much bigger than AFL.played seriously in many countries .Who would have thought.

The funny thing is there are many national sports which have spread to other countries .Which suggests a bigger problem for AFL .
Here are some:
Kabbadi played in Bangladesh.
Pato played on horses in Argentina
Buzkashi played on horses in Afghanistan
Pesapallo played with bats and balls in Finland and now with a team in Australia.
Gaga from Israel

I think the long term future for AFL is a smaller ground with heavy balls ,two halves and shorter games.
Having massive ovals taking up so much space in prime real estate is just a code killer.
How is it sustainable to have so much money tied up in a junior or lower grade game in capital cities?

How can you export a game so socially incompatible with space and economic realities in virtually every other country in the world?
Where in Hong Kong,Manila,Bangkok,Tokyo,London,NewYork,Paris,blah blah blah are you going to find space for even one team to play?

AFL internationally is doomed!
Give up all hope now .

Insert numerous emojees at will,because I can't yet from an iPad unfortunately.

Yes handball is massive.

Almost as popular as basketball.

The Europeans are too fixated with football and Basketball is too huge as well.

As for sports taking other space such as Tennis, cricket, handball, Volleyball etc etc

Even Baseball has an in and softball.

AFL can forget it. 
Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

What many have to understand this is a LAND GRAB.
Facilities, who owns them, who controls them, who access them is the Number ONE battle ground in this Country.
If we build synthetic pitches and AFL 9's uses them once or twice or times a week WE LOSE.
One of the key reasons for the emphasis on the AFLW is a means to secure their AFL Fields in suburban Melbourne.

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

RedshirtWilly - 26 Feb 2017 4:15 PM
It's amazing seeing how non-existant League is down here in Adelaide. United seem to be lumped in with basketball also - go local team and such. 

But AFL is just everywhere. Good thing I dont read the newspaper, watch the news or listen to much radio so I dont have to listen to it but when I do jeez it's sickening

I make a point to NEVER watch anything AFL on TV to the point I would flick the channel the second anything is mentioned about it even in the news.

I don't read the local paper as a rule or listen to any radio that has the stuff and we get bombarded too. it's so sickening.

Last year, I couldn't even tell you where Freo or Eagles ended on the ladder if it wasn't for a die hard Freo supporter in the office. 

Never even caught a single result or watch the final even. just went out and did something nice and enjoy the sunshine or something. Maybe paint the verandah and watch the paint dry. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Swarth - 26 Feb 2017 6:12 PM
i am so thankful i live in western sydney

I would even consider moving to Sydney just to escape. 

it's like torture... seagulls fighting over a chip...
Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 27 Feb 2017 3:42 PM
Swarth - 26 Feb 2017 6:12 PM

I would even consider moving to Sydney just to escape. 

it's like torture... seagulls fighting over a chip...

lol well at least there is a reason or purpose of a seagull fighting over a chip,, in my entire life i have seen maybe 4 or 5 gws jersey's in sydney, in comparison on a non football day i saw 20 wanderers jersey's and about 6 eels jersey's (eels still suck)

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Swarth - 27 Feb 2017 4:08 PM

lol well at least there is a reason or purpose of a seagull fighting over a chip,, in my entire life i have seen maybe 4 or 5 gws jersey's in sydney, in comparison on a non football day i saw 20 wanderers jersey's and about 6 eels jersey's (eels still suck)

The only time I've ever seen GWS merchandise being worn by someone was last week at the derby and that was people who had been to the netball next door.
Wanderers jerseys find themselves everywhere even seemingly inappropriate places. Who wears a jersey to the museum or at the other end of the spectrum to places where they are likely to be destroyed like construction sites? 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Good!

You WSW just take over Sydney and control it. 
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Victoria has Eddie Mcguire.... racist and yet still has a job

Adelaide has David Koch, ... typical AFL trainined knob... Port going gangbusters in china... and pulling the adelaide media along for a free junket too
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
mouflonrouge - 27 Feb 2017 3:10 PM
What a great laugh this thread is.

I've been around, and unfortunately for AFL, there is as much interest in the egg ball game as watching grass grow or paint dry. in fact, the latter 2 pursuits would be much more desirable than AFL is.

In contrast, there is significant interest in Cricket even in non Cricket countries. you see Cricket on the news and in the press often, but nothing about AFL. Zip! nada!

Even the Super Bowl has interest, but AFL.....nope.....nothing at all! 

Sorry to break it to the AFL boffins, but I did love it how they tried to put the Women's AFL in the way of Sokkah in order to stop it in its tracks.

All the FFA need to do, is polarize the A League with the following:
1) more teams - 4 new teams in the A League
2) they need South Melbourne to be one of them, and another 3 teams. 
3) A second tier semi pro (to start off with) league of 10 clubs with promo/relegation.

Then watch the AFL come up with more desperate brain waves to keep us entertained. 

I love reading posts like this.

For many this post would be sacrilege in this part of the world.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Nachoman - 28 Feb 2017 7:54 AM
Victoria has Eddie Mcguire.... racist and yet still has a job

Adelaide has David Koch, ... typical AFL trainined knob... Port going gangbusters in china... and pulling the adelaide media along for a free junket too

In  the southern states there are so many who contend AFL is just about to take off overseas.

LOL!
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Arthur - 27 Feb 2017 3:27 PM

Ding Ding Ding Ding 

Despite Carlton's females crowds dropping every week from 25k to 3.5k, and on track to keep falling we get this...if only football had their PR people. 

From today's age: 
"The overwhelming success of AFLW has prompted the league to expedite plans to transform the venue into a state-of-the-art stadium, ideal for women's league matches, men's pre-season games and possibly for matches for AFL premiership points.

AFL development boss Simon Lethlean is in charge of a team that will soon analyse all suburban grounds, to identify potential upgrade requirements.

Fairfax Media understands that both the AFL and the state government will chip in for the proposal, with Ikon Park seen as the obvious first choice for redevelopment."

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

chillbilly - 27 Feb 2017 5:39 PM

The only time I've ever seen GWS merchandise being worn by someone was last week at the derby and that was people who had been to the netball next door.
Wanderers jerseys find themselves everywhere even seemingly inappropriate places. Who wears a jersey to the museum or at the other end of the spectrum to places where they are likely to be destroyed like construction sites? 

Good to hear.
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

fark me is the victorian govt just a dept of the AFL ?
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

chillbilly - 27 Feb 2017 5:39 PM

I hate seeing Wanderers merchandise, but very true you see them everywhere, I live near Manly & you even see it there.
Seen some Swans merchandise, but never any GWS merchandise.

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

pippinu - 27 Feb 2017 10:39 AM
aussie pride - 27 Feb 2017 7:51 AM

This is a fair enough point, and at least is made with an understanding that first and foremost, this idea is merely about taking up more and more oxygen, nothing more, and nothing less.

It actually doesn't matter whether it's good, bad or indifferent, or if people like it or hate it, what we know is that it won't be ignored - it will take up oxygen.

We've already had the Women's AFL take up plenty of oxygen for the whole of February, expect them to start their season in January in the future.

Expect the AFL to look for ways to take up oxygen from mid-Oct to mid-Nov.  It doesn't have to be a big comp, it might be a four to six week tournament featuring recently retired players, players trying to get drafted, players returning from injury, etc. etc.

For starters, they can book out their own stadium from mid-Oct to late Nov.

On top of that, they might like to play some games out of AAMI, and maybe NIB and Coopers.

Just achieving that much would be viewed as a huge success - attendances and ratings wouldn't even need to be big to be a success.

That's effectively an additional four to six weeks of oxygen, dovetailing neatly into the draft in late November which already has massive media attention.

Mission accomplished.

Fortunately not in Sydney, it just was nothing.

Rimbaud
Rimbaud
Amateur
Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)Amateur (625 reputation)

Arthur - 27 Feb 2017 3:27 PM
Facilities, who owns them, who controls them, who access them is the Number ONE battle ground in this Country.
If we build synthetic pitches and AFL 9's uses them once or twice or times a week WE LOSE.
One of the key reasons for the emphasis on the AFLW is a means to secure their AFL Fields in suburban Melbourne.

You're absolutely right, Arthur. 
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Remember when MR VFL told us that Port Adelaide had signed 'The biggest deal in Australian sporting history' with a Chinese sponsor, which then became more and more murkier as to any money at all that was going from China to Port's pockets for this deal....well, interesting to see this amazing deal for the game has actually cost Port 500k - that really is some sponsorship deal!

Let's see how far the rest of their money goes in a Chinese landgrab. 

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

tsf - 1 Mar 2017 9:30 AM
Remember when MR VFL told us that Port Adelaide had signed 'The biggest deal in Australian sporting history' with a Chinese sponsor, which then became more and more murkier as to any money at all that was going from China to Port's pockets for this deal....well, interesting to see this amazing deal for the game has actually cost Port 500k - that really is some sponsorship deal!

And Koshi's crying foul to the AFL because their opposition, in this greatest event in the history of the earth - the Gold Coast Suns, wear Red/Yellow the Chinese national colours and will garner more support than Port Adelaide who initiated this 'greatest event ever on earth".
Edited
7 Years Ago by bigpoppa
Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)

Pretty sure that was announced when the game was

If Mr VFL called it  'The biggest deal in Australian sporting history' then he was being ridiculous.  Both clubs are making money out of the game though

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

Australian Football dude - 1 Mar 2017 9:41 AM

Pretty sure that was announced when the game was

If Mr VFL called it  'The biggest deal in Australian sporting history' then he was being ridiculous.  Both clubs are making money out of the game though

The AFL paying them to play there?
tfozz
tfozz
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

robbos - 28 Feb 2017 9:21 PM
pippinu - 27 Feb 2017 10:39 AM

Fortunately not in Sydney, it just was nothing.

What is a draft?

tsf
tsf
Legend

bigpoppa - 1 Mar 2017 9:46 AM

yes. Kochie said yesterday Port are paying 500,000 to the Chinese. That's why he is pissed off they are not allowed to wear the strips they want
Edited
7 Years Ago by tsf
Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)

Various sponsors. It is aligned to an Australian trade show 

Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan

tsf - 1 Mar 2017 9:58 AM

yes. Kochie said yesterday Port are paying 500,000 to the Chinese. That's why he is pissed off they are not allowed to wear the strips they want

Are you calling the Gold Coast "the Chinese"? 
tsf
tsf
Legend

Australian Football dude - 1 Mar 2017 10:00 AM
tsf - 1 Mar 2017 9:58 AM

Are you calling the Gold Coast "the Chinese"? 

Sorry, yeah GC - they are actually paying closer to 700k to the chinese. 
Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan

tsf - 1 Mar 2017 10:02 AM
Australian Football dude - 1 Mar 2017 10:00 AM

Sorry, yeah GC - they are actually paying closer to 700k to the chinese. 

Link?
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I read the other day that Port is getting $4 million for that game, and is paying the Suns $500k out of that money.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search