The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

Author
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
rusty - 8 Mar 2017 4:21 PM
No one really buys the pay gap bs do they?  

Until you actually see it.

A family friend is paid $65k for a job her colleague with less experience gets paid $85k for. Shes a data analyst for Metcash (IGA).

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

BETHFC - 8 Mar 2017 4:50 PM

A family friend is paid $65k for a job her colleague with less experience gets paid $85k for. Shes a data analyst for Metcash (IGA).

Sshh. Rusty will somehown turn this around.  
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 8 Mar 2017 4:51 PM

Sshh. Rusty will somehown turn this around.  

Good luck to him. Official government dribble doesn't mean shit when they're trying to protect their own asses.

Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Tell her to sue them then.  The law is very black and white on this and the government is always keen to prove that they are doing things to prevent it.  If she is genuinely being ripped off, it will be an extremely simple court case.

This is what i dont understand about people who say there is a pay gap in Australia.  Fucking sue them ffs.  You get a massive payout and it helps everyone else all over the country being underpaid.  Remaining silent simply adds fuel to the fire that you are just a dud and cant negotiate.
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Scotch&Coke - 8 Mar 2017 5:17 PM

Tell her to sue them then.  The law is very black and white on this and the government is always keen to prove that they are doing things to prevent it.  If she is genuinely being ripped off, it will be an extremely simple court case.

This is what i dont understand about people who say there is a pay gap in Australia.  Fucking sue them ffs.  You get a massive payout and it helps everyone else all over the country being underpaid.  Remaining silent simply adds fuel to the fire that you are just a dud and cant negotiate.

Ain't that simple, professionals negotiate their salaries themselves in the private sector so it's difficult to prove. It's very easy to say that person was better at negotiating than her but you'd have to pretty naive to think that there aren't some at least subconscious biases in traditionally male dominated sectors towards males. That is where one example of the much derided feminist term "male privilege" comes in.

I know I'm going to get this as a response so I'll address it now. Working in IT, I've worked in a number of places that would give a female an interview over some potentially more qualified candidates in an effort to address the gender imbalance. I don't see that as the same thing and the same thing happens in males' favour in female dominated industries like teaching and nursing.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

pv4 - 6 Mar 2017 10:08 AM
pv4 - 3 Mar 2017 8:56 AM

Anyone able to help? Who do I email??

Yeah anyone and everyone really. I'd start with your local member in both state and federal. NSW has a minister for sport, some guy named Stuart Ayres so he'd be worth contacting too.

Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

mcjules - 8 Mar 2017 6:31 PM

Ain't that simple, professionals negotiate their salaries themselves in the private sector so it's difficult to prove. It's very easy to say that person was better at negotiating than her but you'd have to pretty naive to think that there aren't some at least subconscious biases in traditionally male dominated sectors towards males. That is where one example of the much derided feminist term "male privilege" comes in.

Women are significantly less likely to ask for an increase in their current or initial wage (https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimelsesser/2016/09/07/research-stating-women-ask-for-pay-raises-as-much-as-men-is-just-wrong/#e1741bc3983f).  This can very easily lead to situations such as such as the one BETHFC mentioned.  There are a number of theories regarding this, the most common being that women are naturally more timid and that they feel uneasy about asking for more money.  This is naturally hard to prove and more studies need to be done to explore the concept, it does, however, provide a valid explanation to a significant amount of anecdotal evidence (a pet hate of mine) being tossed around throughout the media.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

I know I'm going to get this as a response so I'll address it now. Working in IT, I've worked in a number of places that would give a female an interview over some potentially more qualified candidates in an effort to address the gender imbalance. I don't see that as the same thing and the same thing happens in males' favour in female dominated industries like teaching and nursing.

Spot on.

Im an engineer and females are a tiny percentage of engineers in the field (i.e. not office designers). We interviewed a young lady the other day and it's really hard to put her on. What we do involves physical labour and she's slightly built. My thoughts are my superiors assume she can't do the physical side. Maybe she can. Her attitude was a class above the nearest candidate. Hard to change attitudes. We've also had issues with harassment of our females staff before with construction workers cat calling them etc. 

Its very disappointing that in this day and age harassment is even a consideration. 
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

BETHFC - 9 Mar 2017 4:47 PM

Spot on.

Im an engineer and females are a tiny percentage of engineers in the field (i.e. not office designers). We interviewed a young lady the other day and it's really hard to put her on. What we do involves physical labour and she's slightly built. My thoughts are my superiors assume she can't do the physical side. Maybe she can. Her attitude was a class above the nearest candidate. We've also had issues with harassment of our females staff before with construction workers cat calling them etc. The superiors perceive her employment as a risk we wouldn't have with a male with a less impressive attitude. 

Its very disappointing that in this day and age harassment is even a consideration. 

Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro

Spot on.

Im an engineer and females are a tiny percentage of engineers in the field (i.e. not office designers). We interviewed a young lady the other day and it's really hard to put her on. What we do involves physical labour and she's slightly built. My thoughts are my superiors assume she can't do the physical side. Maybe she can. Her attitude was a class above the nearest candidate. Hard to change attitudes. We've also had issues with harassment of our females staff before with construction workers cat calling them etc. 

Unfortunately, we live in a world where businesses do not like to invest in too many "maybe's".  You are taught to eliminate as many possible fuck ups as you can.  Maybe that women was abnormally strong for size and gender, the odds are, however, that she is the same as the majority of the population. If she proved to be the latter, every employee would absolutely blow up at management for hiring somebody who simply makes their jobs harder. To combat this, trials are becoming more popular to test out potential female employees in physically demanding jobs.  

As for harassment, education will slowly weed that out of the younger generations.  Mass societal change doesn't happen over night.  A 50 year old man isn't suddenly going to stop catcalling women because some "snot nose punks" tell him its wrong.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Scotch&Coke
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Also, there will also be jobs where females dominate and jobs where males will dominate. I don't think will ever change. 

But yeh, there probably is a gender pay gap, and females are not represented well on boards either. But the same can be said about Ethnics. They are not represented on boards either.

So not just a gender issue but a racism issue as well. 

If you don't believe me, then imagine you were a Muslim or a Lebanese with a long name applying for an executive position. Many firms wouldn't go past the name before ditching the CV out on the basis that they "don't fit their corporate culture",
Edited
7 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Spot on.

I'm all in support of closing any gender pay gaps and addressing discriminatory issues. Not saying the above is discriminatory as your workplace made a cognitive decision that the female candidate would struggle with the physical side of things. At the end, a business needs to decide whether the candidate can do the job irrespective of their gender. Some males may struggle with the physical side of things too. 

My issue with the militant feminists is that they are making too much noise and other issues are being ignored.

Issues of racism, bullying, and harassment are prevalent. 

There is a reason why Europeans go into business. I hear it time and time again. The reason is, they don't see a level playing field and feel the brunt of discrimination bordering to racism. That's for Europeans. If you're from the Middle East then multiply the issues about 6 fold. Their are definitely discrimination and racism issues which are every bit as important as the discrimination against women. But this is being drowned out unfortunately. The feminists need to work with Ethnic Males too because they are in exactly the same boat.

If they wanted equality for everyone, then that is an issue that can't be ignored. 
Edited
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Lol so now there's rumblings that ScoMo is having a hard time selling his budget in May and there will probably yet ANOTHER cabinet reshuffle.

Fuck me dead lol

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

I'm not sure if the thread is appropriate, but Bill Leak just died in hospital from a heart attack.
switters
switters
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

its an absolute bloodbath in the wa state elections. I think the election was called in under an hour.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

switters - 11 Mar 2017 11:41 PM
its an absolute bloodbath in the wa state elections. I think the election was called in under an hour.

Wasn't w.a liberal thru and thru? What the hell happened??
switters
switters
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 11 Mar 2017 11:53 PM
switters - 11 Mar 2017 11:41 PM

Wasn't w.a liberal thru and thru? What the hell happened??

a lot of things, but the preference deal with One Nation and the proposed selling off of Western Power was the straw that broke the camels back.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

switters - 11 Mar 2017 11:59 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 11 Mar 2017 11:53 PM

a lot of things, but the preference deal with One Nation and the proposed selling off of Western Power was the straw that broke the camels back.

Let  me guess  the people got sick of the bullshit .
switters
switters
World Class

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 12 Mar 2017 12:01 AM
switters - 11 Mar 2017 11:59 PM

Let  me guess  the people got sick of the bullshit .

pretty much
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

switters - 12 Mar 2017 12:02 AM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 12 Mar 2017 12:01 AM

pretty much

Here's hoping both sides sees this an opportunity  to actually have proper and I mean proper policies instead of slating each other and blaming the other side. 
Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro

Image may contain: 3 people, text
Did have a giggle at this.  It is now a very real possibility.  Cannot believe how badly the liberals flopped.  No projected independents or minor parties winning extra seats either which is surprising given the result of the national election.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Scotch&Coke - 12 Mar 2017 10:28 AM
TImage may contain: 3 people, text
Did have a giggle at this.  It is now a very real possibility.  Cannot believe how badly the liberals flopped.  No projected independents or minor parties winning extra seats either which is surprising given the result of the national election.

The libs  got cock.  Kennett learnt the hard way in 99.  Privatisizing the electricity  grid is a sure fire way to lose support.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

God can't think of anything worse than Labor controlling all states. 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

BETHFC - 12 Mar 2017 12:28 PM
God can't think of anything worse than Labor controlling all states. 

Depressing isn't it?

On the brighter side, should only be a one term once he stuffs up the mining sector, and energy security. 

Also, once people realize that in order for WA to get more than $0.32 in every dollar of GST is up to all the other States and territories and none of them a going to support cuts to their GST allocation so that WA can have a fairer cut of the pie. The simpletons actually thought Barnett had control over it. 

This made me feel more bad than Perth glories drubbing yesterday from Victree. 
Edited
Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro

mouflonrouge - 12 Mar 2017 12:58 PM
BETHFC - 12 Mar 2017 12:28 PM

Depressing isn't it?

On the brighter side, should only be a one term once he stuffs up the mining sector.

The WA liberals had already broken several promises to expand the mining industry.  Promises that would have made the state, companies and workers billions.  They promised mass infrastructure for them and fucked them over.  One of the main reasons the liberals were kicked out was due to their stuffing up of the mining and energy sectors.  Your statement is a bit rich tbh

Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro

Not to mention all the transport and health promises broken as well.  The Libs grew complacent and got dicked for it.  Now we will see if Labor does any better
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Scotch&Coke - 12 Mar 2017 1:11 PM
mouflonrouge - 12 Mar 2017 12:58 PM

The WA liberals had already broken several promises to expand the mining industry.  Promises that would have made the state, companies and workers billions.  They promised mass infrastructure for them and fucked them over.  One of the main reasons the liberals were kicked out was due to their stuffing up of the mining and energy sectors.  Your statement is a bit rich tbh

Make the workers billions? Wow!

What promises are you talking about anyhow? They are the most likely to push ahead with the Uranium Mining which would have netted the State Billions in royalties.

And as for the other broken promises - 40 Billion deficit as a result of the mining construction slump. 

A deficit which would surely blow out more if mining doesn't come to the rescue. 
Edited
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 12 Mar 2017 10:55 AM
Scotch&Coke - 12 Mar 2017 10:28 AM

The libs  got cock.  Kennett learnt the hard way in 99.  Privatisizing the electricity  grid is a sure fire way to lose support.

Yeah. Highly unlikely for it to be wall to wall Labor unfortunately as the electoral boundaries in SA have been playmandered (i.e. they've made the rural seats smaller and the city seats larger in terms of population) + the media have been smashing us on the power issue. Not impossible because the federal Libs are so on the nose and the whole Elon Musk thing that has started playing out over the last couple of days has been brilliant.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

I think it QLD Labor will have a huge fight in their hands this year lol

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

paulbagzFC - 12 Mar 2017 6:19 PM
I think it QLD Labor will have a huge fight in their hands this year lol

-PB

What's going on up there? 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search