The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

Author
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
at least he's not marquee. Would have been an absolute waste. 
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

jlm8695 - 13 Jun 2017 11:55 AM
agga78 - 13 Jun 2017 11:46 AM

The one time we were 'ambitious' with our signings we ended up missing out on the finals with Kewell. 

Playing it safe has worked out remarkably well for us.

Yeah I can't remember too many overly 'ambitious' signings. Unless you're (agga) saying the likes of Archie, Muscy, Bes, Troisi, MDP would be considered ambitious? We have always played it safe as jlm has said, apart from Kewell, which didn't work out and I guess our attempted signings of Diamanti and Fabrizio Miccoli.
Jong Gabe
Jong Gabe
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

salmonfc - 13 Jun 2017 11:34 AM
Sign Barbarouses to replace Troisi.Then release Barbarouses and sign Troisi.Then release Troisi and sign Barbarouses.

Barbarouses was signed to replace Rojas

E

slipperypigeon
slipperypigeon
Hacker
Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)

No good ever came from looking backwards,
We now have two foreign right wingers (there's a German/Maxi Besiter joke in there somewhere) and severe lack in squad depth. 
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

They're our only visa players. Bes will not be counted as a Visa player from next season.

Still got 3 to sign, one of them will be a marquee.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

agga78 - 13 Jun 2017 11:46 AM

The one time we were 'ambitious' with our signings we ended up missing out on the finals with Kewell. 

Playing it safe has worked out remarkably well for us.

spot on. Kosta is a decent ALeague player and will probably play out the rest of his career with us now (needs citizenship though, but unsure if he can count the 3 years he already spent here). we seem to get a lot of complaints from people who have unrealistic expectation in regards to new signings. by my count we have a squad of 14 and at least 2 more visa players to go (3 if Berisha's citizenship is worked out). I reckon we need an AM, a box to box midfielder, a LB and another CB. Maybe a backup striker as well (although Austin might be capable of doing this).
Edited
7 Years Ago by Feed_The_Brox
swaggynapkin
swaggynapkin
Under 7s
Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 13 Jun 2017 1:15 PM

spot on. Kosta is a decent ALeague player and will probably play out the rest of his career with us now (needs citizenship though, but unsure if he can count the 3 years he already spent here). we seem to get a lot of complaints from people who have unrealistic expectation in regards to new signings. by my count we have a squad of 14 and at least 2 more visa players to go (3 if Berisha's citizenship is worked out). I reckon we need an AM, a box to box midfielder, a LB and another CB. Maybe a backup striker as well (although Austin might be capable of doing this).
Kosta is a good a-league player. He was amazing in our treble winning team. We had a korean LB on trial but nothing came of it. Would love another CB so we can play Rhys as a cdm next to valeri. I think austin can back up as our striker but im sure we would sign an injury replacement for bes if he gets injured. AM is a must need since troisi is most likely on the way out and how him and his agent act is not something i want at this club. Would Endo be an option for us i know he is an aging player be he destroyed the WSW in the ACL. 

Very big off season very worried about our lack of transfer movement thus far. Hopefully musky has some things in the works
agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

sanchez - 13 Jun 2017 12:10 PM

Yeah I can't remember too many overly 'ambitious' signings. Unless you're (agga) saying the likes of Archie, Muscy, Bes, Troisi, MDP would be considered ambitious? We have always played it safe as jlm has said, apart from Kewell, which didn't work out and I guess our attempted signings of Diamanti and Fabrizio Miccoli.

Ambition doesn't mean signing Kewell, it is getting a former captain of Stuguart, a €5 mil euro player from France, the top scorer in the A league or Australia's best talent on loan from Celtic. 

Going back to players who performed 2-3 years ago and not backing yourself to pick talent from Europe and beyond ,  is safe and not going to win you anything. 
If you look at 3 of the last few signings Troisi, Rojas and now Kosta, we didn't win anything and didn't look like winning anything,  the one player we got through scouting, Baro was a top signing and was imo our best CB we have had bar MDP.

Our recruitment has not finished, so I will wait to the squad is finalized before I judge the new team fully, but it hasn't started well imo.
Recoba
Recoba
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)Hardcore Fan (229 reputation)

Next to Kosta's missus the happiest person will be Geria.
slipperypigeon
slipperypigeon
Hacker
Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)

agga78 - 13 Jun 2017 2:44 PM
sanchez - 13 Jun 2017 12:10 PM

Ambition doesn't mean signing Kewell, it is getting a former captain of Stuguart, a €5 mil euro player from France, the top scorer in the A league or Australia's best talent on loan from Celtic. 

Going back to players who performed 2-3 years ago and not backing yourself to pick talent from Europe and beyond ,  is safe and not going to win you anything. 
If you look at 3 of the last few signings Troisi, Rojas and now Kosta, we didn't win anything and didn't look like winning anything,  the one player we got through scouting, Baro was a top signing and was imo our best CB we have had bar MDP.

Our recruitment has not finished, so I will wait to the squad is finalized before I judge the new team fully, but it hasn't started well imo.

Excellent comment.
We won nothing last year after bringing the boys back together. To move foward as a club we have to be bold and back our scouts and recruitment.
Going after 'safe' recruits may get you top 6 but it will not win you trophies.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

?

We lost the gf on a penalty shootout and any other season our points hall would've been up there with challenging for the plate.

Give Musky some credit, I trust his recruitment.
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

433 - 13 Jun 2017 3:48 PM
?We lost the gf on a penalty shootout and any other season our points hall would've been up there with challenging for the plate. Give Musky some credit, I trust his recruitment.

I agree.
A lot of things went right for Sydney (some controllable and some by luck).
I lot of things went wrong for MV (some controllable and some by bad luck).
At the end of the year there was only a inch or 2 in the GF.
Musky deserves more credit than he gets.

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

We were lucky Melb city were so poorly coached last season, the squad they assembled was vastly superior to ours & the gap was clear in the first derby.
We definitely got on a decent run from late Nov to Jan and that set us up for 2nd place, but we were never really in contention last season. 
We had a good final and just fell short, but the reality was we had the 3rd best squad and got a bit of luck with city being so poorly coached.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

?We lost the gf on a penalty shootout and any other season our points hall would've been up there with challenging for the plate. Give Musky some credit, I trust his recruitment.

This. Came 2nd and runners up, could argue the thing that really separated us from Sydney was a Ninkovic-esque midfielder (and probably a little bit better defense haha).

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

paulbagzFC - 13 Jun 2017 4:11 PM

This. Came 2nd and runners up, could argue the thing that really separated us from Sydney was a Ninkovic-esque midfielder (and probably a little bit better defense haha).

-PB

Essien? :)
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
salmonfc - 13 Jun 2017 11:34 AM
Sign Barbarouses to replace Troisi.Then release Barbarouses and sign Troisi.Then release Troisi and sign Barbarouses.

Do you have some sort of point?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 13 Jun 2017 4:11 PM

-PB

Or a handball and a lick of paint.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

agga78 - 13 Jun 2017 4:07 PM
We were lucky Melb city were so poorly coached last season, the squad they assembled was vastly superior to ours & the gap was clear in the first derby.
We definitely got on a decent run from late Nov to Jan and that set us up for 2nd place, but we were never really in contention last season. 
We had a good final and just fell short, but the reality was we had the 3rd best squad and got a bit of luck with city being so poorly coached.

It was a poor culture that was City's undoing.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I've gotta agree with Paladiscious - City'sculture sucked last season. Plus I think their squad was over-rated, there were a few players in there that were rated better than they actually were just because CFG signed them. As a Roar fan if I looked at City/Victorys squad and was given free pick of as many players as I liked I'd be picking way more from Victiry than City. City's best players (Zullo, Wilkinson, Mooy) had already left and that first derby victory was just a freak not-to-be-repeated performance, and the FFA cup semi they just got a bit lucky.
agga78
agga78
Semi-Pro

People can talk about poor culture at city, but when you have a foreign marquee playing left back and the constant selection of Malik at cb or def mid, you have to question the mentality of the managers.
We at Victory have had consistent selection for the past 3 seasons, it has brought us good results, but the past 2 seasons, we have been missing something, that would push us to the ultimate success. 
Again we will up near the top,  but we are going to need something more to be champions again.
slipperypigeon
slipperypigeon
Hacker

Membership renewal pack came in the mail today, its got some champions league info in there also.
So pumped now, only 19 months until the new ALeague season 
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Melbourne Victory are looking to lure Mark Milligan back to the A-League as a marquee signing for the club.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/06/15/exclusive-melbourne-victory-eyeing-milligan-return

:P

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

Getting the band back together.

With Troisi on his way out (don't let the door hit you), Milligan would take up the marquee spot.

Would mean we'd still have 3 visa signings to come within the cap.

One would have to be an attacking mid to replace Troisi. The other two I'm thinking a left back and a striker. Left back would have to be a top priority seeing as we don't have one. Hoping one is an Asian player, club would be crazy not to with the ACL coming up.

Potential lineup:

Thomas
Geria - Williams - Donachie - LB
Valeri - Milligan
Rojas - CAM - Barbarouses
Berisha

Two good players to fill those two spots and we're looking strong once again.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

I think I've posted it in this thread, but I think it's far easier to get quality foreigners under the cap than it is to get Australians of similar quality (Look at Bozanic ffs). 

Milligan would be amazing and would settle our defensive core, and provide enough experience that we could blood someone like Deng or Nigro in defence and not look shakey. 

sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Not excited about Milligan as marquee, but more excited about more Milligan than less Milligan. Milligan.
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

slipperypigeon - 14 Jun 2017 7:33 PM
Membership renewal pack came in the mail today, its got some champions league info in there also.
So pumped now, only 19 months until the new ALeague season 

Yeah got our info. 
The membership team really stuffed us around the last 12 months. 
Last year we had auto 12  family membership, but our seats somehow moved from premium b to dry section in the corner, they then rectified it by placing us in premium c and charging us premium b. 6 months of trying to get them to cash the difference back to no avail. 
Get our info yesterday, my seat is in premium b, wife premium c and my two nephews in general admission... how does that even happen!
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Hey Victory supporters, is there any chance that some youth players will be seeing gametime in the A-League next season?
Given how there's only 14-15 players currently in the squad (depending on the status of Troisi and whether Milligan comes back) there would seem to be room for a few younger players to come through to the senior team. Are there any names that could be breakout players for next season? Given how well-publicized the lack of opportunities for young players has been, it would be nice if one of the Sydney/Melbourne clubs really committed to giving 4-5 young players some good gametime next season. Seeing how Victory currently have the smallest squad of the four Sydney/Melbourne teams, there would appear to be room for it. Anyone got any info on the chances of that? Any names they'd like to see?

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Holding Bidfielder - 15 Jun 2017 4:38 PM
Hey Victory supporters, is there any chance that some youth players will be seeing gametime in the A-League next season?
Given how there's only 14-15 players currently in the squad (depending on the status of Troisi and whether Milligan comes back) there would seem to be room for a few younger players to come through to the senior team. Are there any names that could be breakout players for next season? Given how well-publicized the lack of opportunities for young players has been, it would be nice if one of the Sydney/Melbourne clubs really committed to giving 4-5 young players some good gametime next season. Seeing how Victory currently have the smallest squad of the four Sydney/Melbourne teams, there would appear to be room for it. Anyone got any info on the chances of that? Any names they'd like to see?

Deng and Nigro are the only real possibilities at this stage. I expect Deng to get a lot of game time, especially if Williams misses games. 

Nigro clearly has the talent, but is being kept out of the team by Geria and Valeri. I wonder how he would go at LB. 

If Austin leaves (unlikely imo), Theohauraus (?) could also get some game time when our 3 Kiwi wingers head off for Intl duty. 
loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

For Vuck's sake suggesting we've signed Stefan Mauk. Has been a bit of a rumour since he tweeted about loving Melbourne when he was back here a few days ago.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

loki - 19 Jun 2017 9:56 AM
For Vuck's sake suggesting we've signed Stefan Mauk. Has been a bit of a rumour since he tweeted about loving Melbourne when he was back here a few days ago.

Was just about to come in and post this.

Interesting signing if true (the FVS boys have good form tbh) - Mauk is very much an attacking midfielder, is he not?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search