AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

AFL to take over soccer pitches with new game

Author
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 11:57 AM
NicCarBel - 23 Jun 2017 10:43 AM

The modern soccerball has the weight and consistency of a rubber winnie-the-pooh ball, the sort you buy at K-mart for $2 - not that there is anything wrong with that.

More pippinu "facts" helping to raise the quality of discussion.

Beaten by Eldar

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Kicked or held a sherrin lately pippinu?

A brand new one that the professional would play with?

There wouldn't be any difference between them and a soccer ball.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
bigpoppa - 23 Jun 2017 1:12 PM
Kicked or held a sherrin lately pippinu? A brand new one that the professional would play with?There wouldn't be any difference between them and a soccer ball.

The modern soccer ball almost feels like a volley ball these days.
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

A sherrin wouldn't be far off that. Especially the top grade ones.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

bigpoppa - 23 Jun 2017 1:26 PM
A sherrin wouldn't be far off that. Especially the top grade ones.

AS you say, not far off it - does that mean that you agree that a leather football is likely to be heavier than a rubber one?
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

The difference isn't noticeable.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 1:35 PM

AS you say, not far off it - does that mean that you agree that a leather football is likely to be heavier than a rubber one?

Well can you go and weigh a football and a Winnie the pooh rubber ball and report back to us?

Beaten by Eldar

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Someone says you'd need to weigh the ball down to play AFL on a small pitch.
You say it's real leather, a soccer ball isn't.
You then proceed to argue the point that a sherrin is slightly heavier than a football.
Nobody is arguing that.
Nobody said it wasn't and nobody gives a shit.
You have not addressed the point made, you have made your own point and argued for and against it.

You know this though, don't you.

I do agree with you on one thing...the mods should have some standards.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

What else then, foil hats?

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Davide82 - 23 Jun 2017 2:30 PM

Someone says you'd need to weigh the ball down to play AFL on a small pitch.
You say it's real leather, a soccer ball isn't.
You then proceed to argue the point that a sherrin is slightly heavier than a football.
Nobody is arguing that.
Nobody said it wasn't and nobody gives a shit.
You have not addressed the point made, you have made your own point and argued for and against it.

You know this though, don't you.

I do agree with you on one thing...the mods should have some standards.

Yes, someone said they should play with a heavier football.

I merely made the point that a leather football is already heavier than the rubber ball used by other codes.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 3:26 PM
Davide82 - 23 Jun 2017 2:30 PM

Yes, someone said they should play with a heavier football.

I merely made the point that a leather football is already heavier than the rubber ball used by other codes.

Which does nothing to address the point. Nothing.
Nor does it add ANYTHING of interest to the discussion which for once is actually about your sport of choice.

You are going to need a new engine for that car sir.
Well sure but the one I have is already not a muffler so why would you want to buy a muffler?
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Davide82 - 23 Jun 2017 3:33 PM
pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 3:26 PM

Which does nothing to address the point. Nothing.
Nor does it add ANYTHING of interest to the discussion which for once is actually about your sport of choice.

You are going to need a new engine for that car sir.
Well sure but the one I have is already not a muffler so why would you want to buy a muffler?

Of course it's relevant - the football in question is already heavier, so I'm suggesting it's a silly idea to make it even heavier.

And it's not really my sport.  First of all, I am a lover of all footballs and most sports.

Secondly, this is a new concept, it will be completely different to AFL football, but I can see why they have been working on it.

As a general rule, when the AFL does something, it succeeds.

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 3:36 PM

Of course it's relevant - the football in question is already heavier, so I'm suggesting it's a silly idea to make it even heavier.

And it's not really my sport.  First of all, I am a lover of all footballs and most sports.

Secondly, this is a new concept, it will be completely different to AFL football, but I can see why they have been working on it.

What was said was (and I am paraphrasing) "Oh, if people kick AFL footballs consistently 60m already, then this is going to be a goalfest because most of the field is in scoring range."

No one ever said "Gees, what they are currently using in Russia for the Confederations Cup is so light, when they do this AFLX concept, they are going to need a heavy ball."

No. You're an idiot. Just as I was starting to grow and respect some of the things you say (crazy, huh), you go and say things like this.

Right now I am going to talk about tyre pressures in Forumula 1. The softer they are, the more mechanical grip there is on the road. But oh wait! AFL balls are made of leather, so maybe they should make the tyre pressure higher.

Get stuffed.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Of course it's relevant - the football in question is already heavier

Who compared an AFL ball to any other type of ball?
It was commented that in order to not just have a scoring chance from literally every single possession, a weighted ball could be used.
Whether or not that's a valid idea hasn't been debated as you are only at pains to point out it's different to a proper football.

Unfortunately the more you show of yourself here the more you have shown of yourself. I am starting to think you believe almost half of what you say as opposed to it being ALL bullshit attention seeking.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Davide82
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Davide82 - 23 Jun 2017 3:50 PM

Who compared an AFL ball to any other type of ball?
It was commented that in order to not just have a scoring chance from literally every single possession, a weighted ball could be used.
Whether or not that's a valid idea hasn't been debated as you are only at pains to point out it's different to a proper football.

I say again, if the football is already heavy (the heaviest of all the footballs), then it's unlikely anyone will want to make it heavier.  Leather is heavier than rubber, at least as far as the various footballs are concerned.  I'm not sure why anyone would take exception to such an obvious statement being made.

In any event, just because you can shoot a basket from the half way point, does not mean that basketball games comprise all players doing precisely that (it wouldn't surprise me if there was a rule which stated you can only score from inside the attacking half, similar to Hockey). 

No one actually knows what this game is going to look like, but like other sports have already, it will  be a condensed version of the game that will probably be lightning fast.  Personally, I really don't care one way or the other.

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

Just for arguments sake a quick Google search threw up these numbers for ball weights

Sherrin 450-500g (quoted from a HS article interview someone from sherrin.)

Football 410-450g (FIFA rules and regs 2016/17)

Volleyball 260-280g (FIVB rules and regs 2017-2020)

Sorry couldn't find the weight for Winnie the Pooh balls.

Yes a sherrin slightly heavier but a football isn't similar to a volleyball like you stated.
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 3:58 PM

I say again, if the football is already heavy (the heaviest of all the footballs), then it's unlikely anyone will want to make it heavier.  Leather is heavier than rubber, at least as far as the various footballs are concerned.  I'm not sure why anyone would take exception to such an obvious statement being made.

In any event, just because you can shoot a basket from the half way point, does not mean that basketball games comprise all players doing precisely that (it wouldn't surprise me if there was a rule which stated you can only score from inside the attacking half, similar to Hockey). 

No one actually knows what this game is going to look like, but like other sports have already, it will  be a condensed version of the game that will probably be lightning fast.  Personally, I really don't care one way or the other.

There we go! Something rational. Thank you
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

bigpoppa - 23 Jun 2017 3:59 PM
Just for arguments sake a quick Google search threw up these numbers for ball weightsSherrin 450-500g (quoted from a HS article interview someone from sherrin.)Football 410-450g (FIFA rules and regs 2016/17)Volleyball 260-280g (FIVB rules and regs 2017-2020)Sorry couldn't find the weight for Winnie the Pooh balls.Yes a sherrin slightly heavier but a football isn't similar to a volleyball like you stated.

Thank you for the research.

Obviously my reference to a volley ball was poetic license.

Has anyone ever played a game of soccer with a volleyball?  (while the PE teacher was not watching)

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

I say again, if the football is already heavy (the heaviest of all the footballs), 

And I say again, comparing it to a football from a different existing sport is irrelevant and nobody cares.

Let's invent a hybrid game of basketball and lacrosse.
A basketball is bigger than a tennis ball.

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

NicCarBel - 23 Jun 2017 4:01 PM

There we go! Something rational. Thank you

As always, I remain your humble servant.

I maintain the view that given the ball is already heavy (at least by the standards of other footballs), that no one is going to want to make it heavier.

It's also worth reminding ourselves that half court basketball is now an Olympic sport.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

FMD....we've got the heaviest balls!........seen it all now.

Beaten by Eldar

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Davide82 - 23 Jun 2017 4:03 PM

And I say again, comparing it to a football from a different existing sport is irrelevant and nobody cares.

Let's invent a hybrid game of basketball and lacrosse.
A basketball is bigger than a tennis ball.

Well it doesn't follow because I was saying that the Sherrin is already heavier than other forms of football (which turns out to be correct).

Anyway, there's already an indoor form of lacrosse which is a smaller scale than outdoor lacrosse.

Is there a need to make the lacrosse ball heavier because the playing area is smaller?

Should they use something hard and heavy like a cricket ball?

On reflection, that would add some interest.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 4:07 PM
Davide82 - 23 Jun 2017 4:03 PM

Well it doesn't follow because I was saying that the Sherrin is already heavier than other forms of football (which turns out to be correct).

Nobody doubted its accuracy as a statement, only it's relevance.
A green leaf is greener than a brown leaf but not as brown as a green leaf

BA81
BA81
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

The tragedy is pippinu would be infinitely better-served turning his ire toward the bean-counter corporates who've turned his sport into a pale shadow of its former self, and are continuing to do so as evidenced by this AFLX stillbirth...

But of course, he's the sort of acolyte suckhole who takes Mike Sheahan's side in this exchange:

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 4:02 PM

Obviously my reference to a volley ball was poetic license.

Otherwise known as bullshit.

Beaten by Eldar

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

Well gee fucking whiz, do you think it has something to do with the size of the hoop?

The fooddeeeeeX players have a barn to aim for and get points for missing
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Davide82 - 23 Jun 2017 4:13 PM
pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 4:07 PM

Nobody doubted its accuracy as a statement, only it's relevance.
A green leaf is greener than a brown leaf but not as brown as a green leaf

But since the original comment was that the ball should be heavier, it most certainly is relevant to say that it is the heaviest of all footballs, therefore it is not a wise idea to make it even heavier.
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Oh really ? ALF in new zealand certainly took off. er no it didnt
Or south africa ...
so the last ray of this code being taken seriously outside of 3 states is China
let me know how that goes....
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Nachoman - 23 Jun 2017 5:29 PM

Oh really ? ALF in new zealand certainly took off. er no it didnt
Or south africa ...
so the last ray of this code being taken seriously outside of 3 states is China
let me know how that goes....

What was meant to have happened in South Africa?

With NZ, are you referring to the three games St KIlda played there?  Wellington Council paid something like $1 million per game, and when the agreement finished, they didn't renew, and that was that, but St Kilda still pocketed its $3 million.

As a comparision, did you know that the Mariners can't even get the ACT Govt to fork out $100k for the Mariners to play a game in Canberra?

By way of example, Wagga Wagga paid the Giants $150,000 just to have a training session there and one reserves game (that's on top of the ACT paying the Giants $2.3 million per annum to play games there).

With China, last report I heard is that Port pocketed $10 mill and had to cover expenses of $4 mill.

I don't know about you, but don't you reckon any A-League club would be jumping out of its skin to pocket that sort of coin?

Also, China was all Port's doing.

In short, these things have been nothing more than money making ventures, and they have made money.  

This is why the AFL's revenues are more than that of the other three codes combined - because they are successful.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 5:51 PM
Nachoman - 23 Jun 2017 5:29 PM

What was meant to have happened in South Africa?

According to the AFL, 20,000 aussie rules players in South Africa by 2010 was the target. Was taking over Africa mate, that's all they wanted to talk about at AFL HQ. You can read all about it for a memory refresher at the AFL South Africa page

http://www.aflsouthafrica.org/

Oh sorry, dead link for 2 years

Edited
7 Years Ago by bohemia
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search