Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer team

Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer...

Author
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
bigblueman - 13 May 2017 9:11 AM
Waz - 8 May 2017 6:57 AM

Ye, na. Almost all SFC fans are very very glad we have WSW now, we are MUCH better as a club since 2012 as a result of their entry. Might have been tough going at times, but the rivalry has driven us far beyond the club we were and would be were it still a 1-club city. I think the same would occur in Brisbane, it appears alot of disenfranchised fans have left Roar, and there is a need to engage the 60% of the 50,000 you get to your Grand Finals on a more regular basis.

Brisbane is still bringing in an average of 14,000 a game so how many more disenfranchised fans to do think there are? 500, 1,000? Enough to make another team?
Crowd size at a final can't be considered.

In a resort somewhere

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Paulc look at the numbers of both Sydney FC and MVFC once a rival was introduced.
Melb Hearts introduction would be probably the equivalent of Brisbane City with all things considered. Melb Hearts point of difference was poor to mvfc, they offered themselves as the purists and were anti Merrick and mvfc at the time. No geographical difference and we're sorta just the battlers club.

Anyway both MVFC and Sydney were better off for having a rival. Since then MV actually grew its member numbers to an all time record and it's attendances have increased if anything.

Basically any bandwagoners that leaves the Roar will be offset by hosting a derby and getting 30k plus and putting the game on the sporting calendar in Brisbane.
Away days for Roar at Ballymore will be great. Sold out signs with 17-18k will be the must see event in the city with some proper pre game build up. It will go a long way to imprinting the game into the city.

Just my 2 cents on the matter anyway.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

maxxie - 8 May 2017 12:18 AM
@scott21 I don't think Caboolture and the various Pine Rivers suburbs would support a team called Redcliffe, whether it be in football or rugby league, unless they loved the game and wanted to see it closer than Brisbane. You'd have to call the team Moreton Bay (I think Moreton Bay United is appropriate considering you'd be uniting Cabo, Pine and Redcliffe around a common team).

As for Super League, I think if the Dolphins had a shot at professional league on TV they'd jump at it. They're an pretty ambitious lot. And you're right, Queenslanders would definitely watch it, seeing a QLD team in English super league is pretty fucking interesting and we'd want to believe that a QLD team not even accepted into the NRL could beat the poms. I don't watch much league anymore since there's so much football is on TV but I'd watch the Dolphins if they were playing against English teams.

I saw this article today and thought it reminded me....

Wigan Warriors and Hull FC to play Super League fixture in Australia

Last Updated: 26/07/17 12:55pm

A Super League game will be played outside Europe for the first time when Wigan Warriors take on Hull FC at Wollongong’s WIN Stadium in 2018.

Wigan and Hull FC will compete in an official Super League fixture on February 10, 2018, in what will be a home fixture for the Warriors.

The following week, the two English clubs will then take part in the first double-header games between Super League and NRL teams at a single venue when Wigan face South Sydney Rabbitohs and Hull play St George Illawarra Dragons at ANZ Stadium, Sydney on Saturday, February 17, 2018
http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/10962551/wigan-warriors-and-hull-fc-to-play-super-league-fixture-in-australia

I still think it would be great to see a SEQ team in pro rel Super League system 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Nick Meredith
Nick Meredith @Fof1967
Replying to @CrowForm and @fcbrisbanecity
They will be an A-League club in 2018/2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/Fof1967/status/893373545341792256
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Expansion NEXT year? I hope so but I highly doubt it 😩
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Waz - 4 Aug 2017 8:16 PM
Expansion NEXT year? I hope so but I highly doubt it 😩

You'd know by now, they would need 18 months to get sorted one would think
MichaelB
MichaelB
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

paulc - 13 May 2017 10:24 AM
bigblueman - 13 May 2017 9:11 AM

Brisbane is still bringing in an average of 14,000 a game so how many more disenfranchised fans to do think there are? 500, 1,000? Enough to make another team?
Crowd size at a final can't be considered.

I don't know Brisbane achieve between 20,000 to 50,000 for finals football. I would think there are probably at least alot football supporters out there that would back a derby. More punters means more media exposure which equals increased revenue. They may pull in 8,000 to 10,000 for the other games but as long as the stadium is appropriate I see no problem.

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ MichaelB

I would say the number of disenfranchised Roar fans numbers no more than a couple of hundred now, always possible the administration stuffs up again and puts a nought on the end of that but so far it's been a good 11 months crisis free. There's maybe a couple of hundred more that are associated with City that might flip. Who City won't get are those that supported strikers, there's no love lost between City/Strikers already and the way City are going about this isn't making it better.

City's biggest problem is Ballymore - no one likes it, not even the owners lol. On a wet summers day only about 4,000 seats are covered and the hill is closed. On a hot, sunny day only about 4,000 seats have shade so they need to be lobbying for evening kick offs (but that brings the transport problems to bear).

I recon City are looking at the 60,000 people who go to Roar regularly and hoping they can take a large chunk of them. That's a dangerous strategy, if the 60k going to football doesn't grow both clubs will fail.
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

The A-League is a shambles at the moment anyway, you'd have to be a fool to want to come in at the moment and throw your cash away. Just wait till FIFA comes in with a 2nd division, promotion/relegation and it let it happen naturally. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by WSF
Waz
Waz
Legend

I don't think FIFA will touch p/r and a second division
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

If it forced it would be by AFC imo.

The other way for it to be forced is via FOXTEL or another company willing to pay. I can't figure out why they have not demanded more of the tv money be directed towards the professional system. They have the right to ask for 100% of it, as would be the case if the league was independent.
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

WSF - 5 Aug 2017 1:50 PM
The A-League is a shambles at the moment anyway, you'd have to be a fool to want to come in at the moment and throw your cash away. Just wait till FIFA comes in with a 2nd division, promotion/relegation and it let it happen naturally. 

It's such a shambles that a record number of entities and clubs want to join it LOL.

In a resort somewhere

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

paulc - 6 Aug 2017 11:37 AM
WSF - 5 Aug 2017 1:50 PM

It's such a shambles that a record number of entities and clubs want to join it LOL.

And when can these teams come in? which is why I said shambles numbnutz.
paulc
paulc
Legend

WSF - 6 Aug 2017 11:50 AM
paulc - 6 Aug 2017 11:37 AM

And when can these teams come in? which is why I said shambles numbnutz.

Whether it's in 2 years or 3 years it's hardly a shambles because of a little difference in timing.

In a resort somewhere

petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

scott21 - 4 Aug 2017 7:09 PM
Nick MeredithNick Meredith @Fof1967Replying to @CrowForm and @fcbrisbanecityThey will be an A-League club in 2018/2019https://mobile.twitter.com/Fof1967/status/893373545341792256

Hopefully there still will be 10 of them...

Midfielder
Midfielder
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Waz - 5 Aug 2017 3:51 PM

agree
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Waz - 5 Aug 2017 3:51 PM

If FIFA do step in, they are bound to.

Once they're tasked with installing something, they'll have to be guided by their own end-goal 

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

petszk - 7 Aug 2017 12:04 PM
scott21 - 4 Aug 2017 7:09 PM

Hopefully there still will be 10 of them...

My mail is there will be 12 twelve next season. The HAL owners and FFA will come to an agreement, firstly about funding, but also about eventual control and timing of promotion and relegation . The Greens and Xenophon will side with the Coalition to change the media laws. Lachlan Murdoch and Gordon will get Channel 10. A new team (to be decided) in Brisbane and a Wollongong Wolves side to come in next season.

The second division is also coming, but it will be a combination of NPL teams and specifically placed 'franchises'. Likely to be produced by Foxtel/10 and shown on Foxtel and SBS. No timeframe for implementation.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ everyone blamed Clive

I don't think they'll touch p/r I think that's too long term. What we'll likely see them work on is the democratic representation, an independent HAL, and the set up of a second division. Anything else will be in the too hard basket and they'll leave after 10-12 weeks confident the New Democratic structure will work.
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

patjennings - 7 Aug 2017 1:03 PM
petszk - 7 Aug 2017 12:04 PM

My mail is there will be 12 twelve next season. The HAL owners and FFA will come to an agreement, firstly about funding, but also about eventual control and timing of promotion and relegation . The Greens and Xenophon will side with the Coalition to change the media laws. Lachlan Murdoch and Gordon will get Channel 10. A new team (to be decided) in Brisbane and a Wollongong Wolves side to come in next season.

The second division is also coming, but it will be a combination of NPL teams and specifically placed 'franchises'. Likely to be produced by Foxtel/10 and shown on Foxtel and SBS. No timeframe for implementation.

How reliable is your postman though?
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

sanchez - 7 Aug 2017 2:09 PM
patjennings - 7 Aug 2017 1:03 PM

How reliable is your postman though?

Reliability greater than most sources - around 70%. If Nick Meredith from Fox thinks there will be 12 teams that also supports what he is saying. Wouldn't stake my house on it though.

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

patjennings - 7 Aug 2017 2:36 PM
sanchez - 7 Aug 2017 2:09 PM

Reliability greater than most sources - around 70%. If Nick Meredith from Fox thinks there will be 12 teams that also supports what he is saying. Wouldn't stake my house on it though.

I hope your sources are reliable, sounds ideal, but somewhat a pipedream.

I wouldn't believe anything that comes from Nick Meredith though
World Class

Waz - 7 Aug 2017 1:36 PM
@ everyone blamed Clive I don't think they'll touch p/r I think that's too long term. What we'll likely see them work on is the democratic representation, an independent HAL, and the set up of a second division. Anything else will be in the too hard basket and they'll leave after 10-12 weeks confident the New Democratic structure will work.

Waz
Waz
Legend

@ ..... blamed Clive.

Yup. Get that. Read that before and it is at the heart of FIFAs democratic principles that focuses on players and clubs not administrators. But I don't recon FIFA will impose that. They will sort the representation piece and then leave town safe in the knowledge democracy will run its course ....
World Class

Waz - 7 Aug 2017 2:56 PM
@ ..... blamed Clive. Yup. Get that. Read that before and it is at the heart of FIFAs democratic principles that focuses on players and clubs not administrators. But I don't recon FIFA will impose that. They will sort the representation piece and then leave town safe in the knowledge democracy will run its course ....

I heard you the first two times 

Edited
7 Years Ago by View from the fence
asanchez
asanchez
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

FIFA won't touch P/R or a 2nd Division because they're not things that can be done overnight.

All they'll be here to do is to stop the infighting, which they'll have to do by getting rid of the current FFA hierarchy (if it gets that far) and putting a new voting system in place, so that the new FFA board members, chairmen and CEO can be voted in. Not sure if they'd disband the FFA organisation all together.

The new people, once voted in and in charge, will then have the responsibility to put a plan in place to get all those things done.

Edited
7 Years Ago by asanchez
WSF
WSF
Pro

asanchez - 7 Aug 2017 3:51 PM
FIFA won't touch P/R or a 2nd Division because they're not things that can be done overnight.

All they'll be here to do is to stop the infighting, which they'll have to do by getting rid of the current FFA hierarchy (if it gets that far) and putting a new voting system in place, so that the new FFA board members, chairmen and CEO can be voted in. Not sure if they'd disband the FFA organisation all together.

The new people, once voted in and in charge, will then have the responsibility to put a plan in place to get all those things done.

2nd Division could be setup in a short time. 
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

asanchez - 7 Aug 2017 3:51 PM

The CEO's position is not voted on.  It is an appointment of the Board.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

CLUB STATEMENT ON NEW FOOTBALL STRUCTURE AND MYCITY PROGRAMS

In News

Brisbane City Football Club has a proud and leading position in developing the football stars of tomorrow. The true success of our programs is reflected in the 33 Brisbane City players being selected to trial for the Brisbane Roar Academy and up to 25 of our players ultimately selected.

These numbers reflect 24% of our Under 12-16 player cohort, an amazing endorsement of Brisbane City’s programs and pathways.

What is an even greater achievement, is the now unprecedented number and quality of new footballers and coaches now seeking to be a part of Brisbane City’s football program.

If we as a club are to continue to sustain this success then we must continue to ensure we have a football department designed to support it, one that is agile and responds to dynamic elite player demands, changing football pathways and the growth of female participation.

For the past six months Brisbane City has been working on the evolution of our football department.

With our A League and W League ambitions public and in accordance with these carefully established plans, Brisbane City FC has begun to pro-actively evolve the way our players are developed. Further, these plans will support the delivery of our new MyCity programs that will extend our football reach and touchpoints into communities, schools, social services providers and other community football clubs.

We are pleased to confirm that this restructure commenced a number of weeks ago to ensure that our junior development program achieves greater alignment and continuity with our senior’s football pathways, ultimately leaving our players more prepared and better equipped.

Under the senior position of ‘Football and MyCity Director’, will sit new positions of ‘Senior Football Director’, ‘Youth Football Director’, ‘Junior Football Director’ and ‘Goalkeeping Director’.

The new role of ‘Elite Football Director’ will include oversight of new ‘Academy’ and ‘SAP Director’s’ who alongside our NPL teams form part of our new ‘Elite’ program.

This change will involve the alignment of our Academy leadership directly to our PS4NPL Youth Leadership to ensure that players are better prepared for the transition. At the top of our Youth PS4NPL pipeline, there will also be a re-alignment and deeper co-operation between coaching staff to transition our players from Under 16’s to Senior Football under the leadership of Head Coach John Kosmina.

Brisbane City’s stated football ambitions continue to center around coaching certification and development of ‘full time’ career football coaches to develop our Boys and Girls streams at the club.

The Club is committed to taking our Academy even further in 2018 and beyond under a strong new focus and leadership. Further, the club is well advanced in resourcing the Academy program and its structures.

In Girls Football and despite not being offered Girls SAP or Women’s Licensing by FQ, we will continue to develop and maintain a ‘best in class’ structure to produce footballers ready for these leagues in coming years.

We believe that our track record and commitment to these girl’s programs will enable parents to make the choice for training and development above League structure.

As a result of this re-structure, after 8 years at the Club our existing Academy Director, Jake Goodship, has decided to pursue other opportunities outside of Brisbane City.  We wish Jake the very best in his future endeavours. The club would like to thank him for his hard work and dedication to the club.

2018 is going to be another year of growth for Brisbane City, your board will continue to ensure we provide the governance required to manage this growth as well as the strategies to ensure each member of the club receives the support and benefits of the journey the club is taking.

David Asnicar

President

FullBack4
FullBack4
Amateur
Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)

And yet everyone in Football in Queensland knows they did everything possible not to cooperate with teh BRFC Academy, sad little club

Edited
7 Years Ago by FullBack4
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search