Sack Ange

Sack Ange

Author
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quick look at Soccerway friendlies we had 1 this yr. against Brasil
3 last yr 1 vs England and 2 against Greece 
4 games in 2 yrs

Compare that to our Confeds cup opponents
Germany    2 this yr , 6 last yr      =8 games
Cameroon  5 this yr , 4 last year  =9 games
Chile           3 this yr , 2 last yr      =5 games  they had Copa America last yr

We've only had 4 games in two yrs thats not enough to try players like Jurman,Ruka,Amini,Goodwin,Gersbach and give Langerak a run.
The team feels stale  

Edited
7 Years Ago by SpongeBobFC
The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

jas88 - 11 Oct 2017 12:53 PM
sums up Ange's philosphy... don't have a plan B or train for it....

"With Smith coming off, the Socceroos formation became 3-5-1 with Tom Rogic, James Troisi and Mooy in the centre of midfield, and the 27 year-old revealed the tactics were completely foreign to him.

“I have never seen it either,” he said. “It’s the boss’s ideas and we all believe in it and go with it.

“The formation was a bit different today I had never played it before, there were three number 10’s and one sitter (in defensive midfield) I came on in the number 10 position and I tried my best.”

just unprofessional. we deserve better from our national team coach. 
slipperypigeon
slipperypigeon
Hacker
Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)Hacker (444 reputation)

Even if we scrape through the next phase, whats the point? He won't change, he will keep picking players not playing and we will get decimated against any quality opposition.
He is leaving anyway, sack him and get someone in who wants to be there and does not resemble Oscar the grouch.
He has undone everything he did with the NT.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

sums up Ange's philosphy... don't have a plan B or train for it....

"With Smith coming off, the Socceroos formation became 3-5-1 with Tom Rogic, James Troisi and Mooy in the centre of midfield, and the 27 year-old revealed the tactics were completely foreign to him.

“I have never seen it either,” he said. “It’s the boss’s ideas and we all believe in it and go with it.

“The formation was a bit different today I had never played it before, there were three number 10’s and one sitter (in defensive midfield) I came on in the number 10 position and I tried my best.”

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Strayan - 11 Oct 2017 12:33 PM
Wtf was it last minute weird left field selections of rukavitsia, jurman I mean he had 2 years to use them, didn't. Brad smith lol. 
Hes well and truly lost the dressing room. Post match he walks on to field, most players just look at him and ignore him walking past him lol. Only matt Ryan hugs him

Cahill hugged him as well.
On am radio this morn Cahill had nothing negative to say of Ange but calling him the Boss so there you go.
By the way - who ever he's lost in the dressing room would it matter ? , imo not much :)

Love Football

Strayan
Strayan
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
simione001 - 11 Oct 2017 12:42 PM
wish he'd resign effective immediately.

Yes please. He's becoming a bit of a nag and a sook
simione001
simione001
Amateur
Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)Amateur (698 reputation)

wish he'd resign effective immediately.

Strayan
Strayan
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)Hardcore Fan (195 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Wtf was it last minute weird left field selections of rukavitsia, jurman I mean he had 2 years to use them, didn't. Brad smith lol. 
Hes well and truly lost the dressing room. Post match he walks on to field, most players just look at him and ignore him walking past him lol. Only matt Ryan hugs him
Escobar Caesar
Escobar Caesar
Hacker
Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)

Has ange been reading this thread LOL . Good riddance and briong in Gombau !!!!!!!!!

loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

I think looking at the possession and attempts stats are misleading. Ultimately the problem is that Ange has introduced a defensive frailty that wasn't there beforehand and relies on an overly aggressive style of play which means that opposition teams are incredibly comfortable defending in numbers and waiting for the inevitable opportunities on the break. We have a lot of opportunities and possession because that suits the opposition. 

We didn't have to score a goal to get through last night but set up an unorthodox extraordinarily attacking line up like we had to score 4. It was absurd management that almost cost us dearly. The complete absence of pragmatism and the constant need to make 'big calls' like leaving out Mooy is infuriating. If we do go to the world cup after struggling against teams like Syria and Thailand we're going to be completely humiliated.
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

The build up is just so tediously slow. Even with an exhausted opponent a man down nothing changed. No long ball for variation, no switch, no counter attacks. Just three or four short, unnecessary passes between our defenders, then a few more to a midfielder who played it back before moving it over halfway. The Syrians always had 30-40 seconds to set their defence, they didn't even have to run back, they just walked.

Have you parked the bus yet Syria? Ok, no worries, we will wait, when you are ready we will try to pass through you. Very slowly. It was shit.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Coverdale - 11 Oct 2017 8:43 AM
Seems like he got the set up right to me. 70% possession, I shit ton of shots, ryan had to do fk all. The problem I see is quality. Mooys crosses were terrible, a few limp shots from rogic and triosi. Kruse is useless. 3 at the back makes me nervous too but we had to go for it. All of his changes during the game were positive.

After a bit of thinking last night I would tend to agree.

Against Thailand we had 45 shots.  Against Syria we had 24.  When we're away we're matching or smashing these teams in the stats department.  When does it come on to the team to, end if they put away a quarter of their chances, win 11-1 and 6-1 against these teams?

As with the A-League, the lack is in the final ball.  I feel Ange has a good team plan in Asia, but it's built around the assumption we're going to finish off our chances.  Kruse was terrible last night, Juric was alright but needs to start poaching and Timmy was Timmy.  The final piece is to have that striker who can just finish.
Edited
7 Years Ago by RedshirtWilly
Coverdale
Coverdale
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Seems like he got the set up right to me. 70% possession, I shit ton of shots, ryan had to do fk all. The problem I see is quality. Mooys crosses were terrible, a few limp shots from rogic and triosi. Kruse is useless. 3 at the back makes me nervous too but we had to go for it. All of his changes during the game were positive.
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
SpongeBobFC - 11 Oct 2017 7:49 AM
When the crowd cheered sarcastically at Ryan booting the ball long that summed up the campaign for me.
I fucking hate the way we play we don't move or turn teams around
For a long time it's as if the players are instructed to hold their attack until the opposition are back in position.
All week we keep hearing about how we'll run over them at the end but all i could see were Syrians walking while we passed it amongst ourselves in the corner for half the game.

and Ryan WTF again.

Yup, been banging that drum myself, at least in this game we ran don the wings a bit and tried to stretch the opposition , previous game's they'd move the ball out to the wing at the halfway line of there about's, and we'd hold it up, its one thing to allow our guys to move up, but really, he's allowing the opposition to get back.
In most games we have demonstrated time and time again we cannot break down 11 defenders , yet we keep doing it. 

What was refreshing last night is there were runs down the right side and the occasional down the left and more crosses then previous matches, but with he exception of the two crosses that mattered, they were A-League quality at best.

Escobar Caesar
Escobar Caesar
Hacker
Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)

Pasquali - 10 Oct 2017 11:52 PM
433 - 10 Oct 2017 11:47 PM

and playing ruka instead of someone like mabil. I would understand playing ruka if his strategy is the long ball but it is the opposite of that

How annoying was it to constantly hear Andy Harper talk about putting through the long ball for Ruka and for him to use his speed to burn the Syrians

Bitedge
Bitedge
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)

The Fans - 11 Oct 2017 1:52 AM
Bitedge - 11 Oct 2017 1:17 AM

Nah let him qualify or not. Then bring in the replacement. 1 month and zero games preparation won't do. 

That's more than Aussie Guss had before the Uruguay qualifiers. Now would be a normal time to make the change.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

The Fans - 11 Oct 2017 12:24 AM

pfft, you're as bad as ange. Mabil? give me a break. 

how about playing someone good like maclaren/taggart/brosque/santalab. Of course whoever it is should be tried in friendly games not f--king thrown on in a do or die qualifier. Ruka hasn't played a game for Aus is what, 5 years? wtf. 

Playing and scoring in Portugal and Denmark over the last two seasons... trumps any A-League scrubs who couldn't get a game in the championship...
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

When the crowd cheered sarcastically at Ryan booting the ball long that summed up the campaign for me.
I fucking hate the way we play we don't move or turn teams around
For a long time it's as if the players are instructed to hold their attack until the opposition are back in position.
All week we keep hearing about how we'll run over them at the end but all i could see were Syrians walking while we passed it amongst ourselves in the corner for half the game.

and Ryan WTF again.
Edited
7 Years Ago by SpongeBobFC
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

If he has lost the players they probably would have capitulated after going 1 down early.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Love Ange but geez I feel he's lost the dressing room. Our side still has a lot of complacency even with rotation. I think Kruse and Smith always getting selected and the former being out of match practice until recently put a riff into the squad.

There's definitely also a lack of leadership. We need  a leadership group despite not being a club. Jedinak captain plus the vice captain the  Cahill, Wright, Luongo. 

Still, under no circumstances should we find a new manager for the next two matches. Ancelotti wouldn't be interested and neither would Tuchel. Mirko Slomka would be an exciting choice for attacking football. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Hard to be believe he persists with the same game plan and style time and time again. But then again, I can. He was the same with Brisbane Roar and couldn't get anywhere with Melb Victory without players that have better ball control.

In a resort somewhere

Seb 1968
Seb 1968
Super Fan
Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)

The Fans - 11 Oct 2017 12:28 AM
Give this arrogant prick the sack already. Today line-up was the last straw for me. I'm 100% on the side of sacking him once these next 2 games are done. Don't let him near the world cup he's made a mockery of the national team for the last year or so. Before today I was still backing him. But now after this, he can go and get f--ked. Thats enough. 

+1
Me too, when Ange took over four years ago, he got off to a good start, he cleared out the deadwood, and a young inexperienced (except for Tim Cahill), Soccerroos team gave a reasonable account of themselves in the 2014 FIFA WC. Then we win the Asian Cup in January 2015, and up until the last few months, the Soccerroos were looking to qualify fairly comfortably for the 2018 WC, but then the whole campaign started to turn to shit. WTF is Ange doing?, experimenting with formations in crucial world cup qualifiers?, that's insane, you experiment with team formations in friendlies when there's nothing at stake, NOT WC qualifiers. And then Ange selects players, with little game time/or who are not up to international standard eg.Brad Smith.

I can't prove this, but I am seriously thinking that Ange has lost the respect of his players, and that there's internal problems within the team.

The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Bitedge - 11 Oct 2017 1:17 AM

There is still 4 weeks until those games. If you think he should be sacked now would be the time.

Nah let him qualify or not. Then bring in the replacement. 1 month and zero games preparation won't do. 
Bitedge
Bitedge
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)

...I'm 100% on the side of sacking him once these next 2 games are done...

There is still 4 weeks until those games. If you think he should be sacked now would be the time.
griff1
griff1
Amateur
Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)Amateur (693 reputation)

Santalab and Brosque?? Wow...that's some crazy talk.
J-Mac has had his chance and provided very little in the NT games he's played.
Mobil has been playing regularly in Portugal and scored goals. Perfect candidate for the Roos
The Fans
The Fans
Pro

Give this arrogant prick the sack already. Today line-up was the last straw for me. I'm 100% on the side of sacking him once these next 2 games are done. Don't let him near the world cup he's made a mockery of the national team for the last year or so. Before today I was still backing him. But now after this, he can go and get f--ked. Thats enough. 
The Fans
The Fans
Pro

433 - 10 Oct 2017 11:47 PM

and playing ruka instead of someone like mabil. I would understand playing ruka if his strategy is the long ball but it is the opposite of that

pfft, you're as bad as ange. Mabil? give me a break. 

how about playing someone good like maclaren/taggart/brosque/santalab. Of course whoever it is should be tried in friendly games not f--king thrown on in a do or die qualifier. Ruka hasn't played a game for Aus is what, 5 years? wtf. 
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Derider - 11 Oct 2017 12:01 AM
Bitedge - 10 Oct 2017 11:58 PM

Well it was either him or cahill, so I would say that Ange made the right call there. 

rogic, kruse, cahill would have been the 3 most likely in the gun for the last sub

kruse --> cahill for the winning goal, better to  be lucky than good IMO
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

And subbing Rogic off.

Well it was either him or cahill, so I would say that Ange made the right call there. 
Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

And subbing Rogic off.

And omitting gersbach from the squad. We needed him today, he is the only one who can supply a good cross!
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search