New Socceroos Coach

New Socceroos Coach

Author
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sounds to me like Bert is a smart man . He realizes that young people now don't just blindly do as they are told as in the past . He pretty much openly admits here that he needs a "name" with him that young players can relate to . He is 65 . A 40 year old van Bommel is much closer to them in age and may relate a little better. I am impressed that he realizes his own shortcomings and compensates for them by having people around him who can fill those gaps.
Interesting to see how he goes.

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

socceroo_06 - 26 Jan 2018 2:25 PM
Foster has lost the plot. I'm another era we would be over the moon with a WC finalist coach, yet apparently we are the next Spain/Chile so we deserve better.

No, we deserve a distressingly mediocre old man who last coached Saudi Arabia.Yep. 
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

All the attacking coaches he wanted were out of budget

socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Foster has lost the plot.

I'm another era we would be over the moon with a WC finalist coach, yet apparently we are the next Spain/Chile so we deserve better.
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Van Marwijk to name son-in law van Bommel Socceroos assistant

Dutch legend Mark van Bommel is set to assist the new Socceroos coach and father-in-law Bert van Marwijk.

Netherlands great van Bommel worked under countryman van Marwijk as he coached Saudi Arabia to direct qualification for this year's FIFA World Cup in Russia.Van Marwijk said the 40-year-old van Bommel's appointment as a Socceroos assistant coach was important given their previous working relationship."Yes, that was very important to me," he told Dutch newspaper NRC."The Australian federation figured as much already, but if they hadn't I would have stated it as a condition."I want Mark with me. I have worked with him for two years in Saudi Arabia, but I also regularly see him working as a coach for the under-19 of PSV Eindhoven."He is immensely driven." 

The appointment of Bert van Marwijk as Socceroos coach is a lost opportunity that leaves many questions hanging.The 65-year-old van Marwijk said van Bommel's age meant he would be able to connect with players."What I noticed earlier with Frank de Boer and Phillip Cocu is that this generation of footballers has exactly the right distance to the current players," he said."They are older, but not so old that no one recognises them anymore."Former midfielder van Bommel, the husband of van Marwijk's daughter Andra, captained the Netherlands and had successful club stints with PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and AC Milan.In his decorated club career he won the UEFA Champions League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga twice and Eredivisie four times, in addition to several cups.Van Marwijk coached van Bommel when the Netherlands reached the final of the 2010 World Cup.Football Federation Australia is yet to confirm van Bommel's appointment.

Freshly-minted Australia coach Bert van Marwijk is on double-pronged mission at the World Cup: to conjure Socceroos success and reap revenge on his former Saudi Arabia bosses.Van Marwijk, who says he took up the Australian role for the challenge, also bemoaned the circumstances around his Saudi Arabia exit amid reports he was unable to come to terms with the country's officials for a new contract."I am mostly happy that this way I can still go to the World Cup," he said."With Saudi Arabia I qualified as well, but once we secured the ticket all sorts of officials started interfering in my work."I didn't fancy that."But that doesn't take away the fact that it was a disappointment that I would miss the WC that way."He was appointed coach of Australia on Thursday on a short-term contract that expires at the end of Russia 2018.Ante Milicic, who was assistant to Ange Postecoglou, will remain part of the Socceroos coaching staff but it is unclear exactly what role he will play.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/26/van-marwijk-name-son-law-van-bommel-socceroos-assistant

jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro

Why appointing van Marwijk is a step backward

The appointment of Bert van Marwijk as Socceroos coach is a lost opportunity that leaves many questions hanging.By Craig Foster 
25 JAN 2018 - 6:27 PM  UPDATED YESTERDAY 6:27 PMWhere, exactly, are
Where, exactly, are we headed and is there a plan for our future football?Thousands of coaches have been trained in a particular fashion, hundreds of clubs have been encouraged to play in a particular way according to the national direction and, now, without articulating reasons why or the research and thinking behind, Football Federation Australia have made a very significant change.Those thousands are entitled to question whether the national body believes in the direction they have been selling because, if so, this is an appointment that would not have been possible.Given the short-term decision, it is overwhelmingly likely that Graham Arnold will take the Socceroos helm post Russia 2018, which is another departure.Graham is an outstanding coach who must be heftily congratulated for his performances over a number of A-League seasons in multiple clubs and I hope will become a great success in European football, he is certainly ready. But his beliefs are different to what was being espoused.In light of this appointment, though, I would have preferred Graham be given the job for the World Cup and beyond.

It would've been tougher for anyone else but Bert van Marwijk to lead the Socceroos to Russia, according to Graham Arnold.Frankly put, we very quickly absorbed and moved beyond the Dutch methodology and are already looking at vastly different ways of coaching and playing.Van Marwijk is a coach with a good record with Saudi Arabia, having beaten us to the post in World Cup qualifying, but brings nothing we can absorb and learn from. His Dutch team in 2010 counter-attacked their way to the World Cup final and kicked the hell out of Spain. To derision back home.(Mind you, in his defence, Louis van Gaal did much the same in 2014 and that is because the Dutch have not kept pace with the best nations in their thinking - the KNVB recently released a major report into areas they are deficient in an attempt to arrest the slide).

It is short-term thinking at its zenith. Emblematic of where our game is today.Hiddink changed the game here. The next two imports added nothing and left without imprint.In future, any international coach purporting to be worth a very considerable investment has to bring qualities that Australia needs to learn, otherwise the investment should be made in building the capacity and experience of our own.

Dutchman Bert van Marwijk has taken the helm of the Socceroos - but how will Australia line up under the 65-year-old?

Worse, I’m led to believe that a coach who changed an entire nation and conquered the most difficult Confederation, South America, through his work, Marcelo Bielsa, was not approached.

He produced football with Chile in 2010 that is above anything we have seen. Extraordinary. Cruyff himself called it the "modern total football", a template that aligns perfectly with our conception of future football (that appears now to have been discarded).He was not even, apparently, on the shortlist of three. Impossible to believe. Apparently no discussion, not a call. I very much hope to be misinformed here.This would be sad, as is the apparent change of direction with both the Socceroos in 2015 and the Matildas performing superbly well in a manner that leverages the best of Australia in many aspects.I wish van Marwijk the very best as he joins the alumni of people to lead our green and gold. We have an immense opportunity to get out of the group in Russia.But much like the rest of the game at present, confusion reigns.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2018/01/25/why-appointing-van-marwijk-step-backward?cid=trending

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
jaymz - 25 Jan 2018 1:14 PM
A WC finalist coaching coach is a pretty good find for our budget, and player ability. People who aren't happy about this are deluded about where we stand in football and how much we have to spend

Very good point, Jaymz. 

International football at  a World Cup is the game's biggest stage. Yet many on  442 can't see it.  BVM has achieved a second WC placing with Holland, who were a mediocre team at best, particularly defensively.

Other than Vincent Del Bosque and Joachim Lowe, nobody in the  last 8 years has a better international record than BVM. He struggled in a tough group in the  2012 Euro Champs, but has succeeded on the biggest stage.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro

A WC finalist coaching coach is a pretty good find for our budget, and player ability. People who aren't happy about this are deluded about where we stand in football and how much we have to spend

phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

jaymz - 25 Jan 2018 12:52 PM
BVM announced. Good appointment imo

As good as we could realistically hope for, and afford.

Get Arnie on board as assistant for the WC before taking over and we are good to go for the next cycle as well.
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro

BVM announced. Good appointment imo

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

I suggest Dora the Explorer,  couldn't be any worse than a football governing body that has no football knowledge in being able to appoint a coach.  
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

I hear the Den are putting Aloisi's CV in the mail tomorrow.

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

what is the point of BVM?  may as well let anyone do it.  why waste the experience on a foreigner who isnt going to offer something special to the job?

if not bielsa or rangnick i want this guy

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11686/11217397/marco-silva-sacked-by-watford-this-gifted-coach-is-his-own-worst-enemy

Edited
6 Years Ago by inala brah
99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

JonoMV - 23 Jan 2018 9:31 PM
jas88 - 18 Jan 2018 3:34 PM

mancini turned down 15million pounds a season at West Ham haha

difference being Mancini
 can take the australian job, earn the cash then move on to PSG, Italy or wherever he eventually ends up after this season straight after. He's made it pretty clear he'll be leaving Russia.

JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

jas88 - 18 Jan 2018 3:34 PM
"It is a long list that includes Marcelo Bielsa, Arnold, Luiz Felipe Scolari, Tony Popovic, Sven-Goran Eriksson, Jurgen Klinsmann, Louis van Gaal, Roberto Mancini, Ralf Rangnick, Gianni De Biasi, Christoph Daum, Slaven Bilic and Harry Redknapp."

Half the guys in that list have rejected multi-million dollar contracts in China... why would they come to Australia in the long term?

mancini turned down 15million pounds a season at West Ham haha
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro

Anyone know who is on the short list?

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Decentric - 19 Jan 2018 8:11 AM
Derider - 19 Jan 2018 12:20 AM

In recent times BVM has a better international record than Guus.

Methodology and tactics are forever changing in football. BVM had Saudi A better organised against us than ever before.

It is axiomatic within FFA Technical Dept that  many Asian teams are technically better than us ATM. It is also an axiom that if they catch up to us tactically, they will blow us away. In recent times the Asian teams have imported superior tactical coaching expertise. This has been reflected in their improved performances against us.

Axiomatic!!

Nice one, D.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 19 Jan 2018 1:10 AM
Decentric - 18 Jan 2018 11:41 PM

He came 4th with South Korea! Along with a 4th for Russia at the euros. And Australia to the 2nd round! I'd argue that's a far greater achievement than taking a dutch team to 2nd containing a peak form Sneijder, Van Persie, Van Der Vaart, Heitinga, Hunterlaar , Mathijsen, De jong, Kuyt, Van Bommel and Robben!!!

I thought Guus failed to qualify Russia for a WC?

4th in a Euro Champ is a very good result for Russia. Notwithstanding, Guus was a contributor for the current Dutch team failing to qualify for a WC. He also failed with Turkey, if my memory serves me correctly.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Derider - 19 Jan 2018 12:20 AM

I don't know why you're saying Hiddink while quoting my post. I never mentioned him at all. But staying on the Dutch thing,  if it's Van Marwijk vs Van Gaal,  I'd much prefer the latter. He (more recently) took an average team by Dutch standards to third place and beat Spain 5-1. Plus he has actually won things that matter in club competitions and his last job was Manchester United. Are we seriously saying BVM is the better option?

In recent times BVM has a better international record than Guus.

Methodology and tactics are forever changing in football. BVM had Saudi A better organised against us than ever before.

It is axiomatic within FFA Technical Dept that  many Asian teams are technically better than us ATM. It is also an axiom that if they catch up to us tactically, they will blow us away. In recent times the Asian teams have imported superior tactical coaching expertise. This has been reflected in their improved performances against us.
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Van Marwijk is a good tournament coach, less so in a home/away season. Has won the KVNB cup & Uefa Cup with Feyenoord and took Netherlands to a WC final in 2010. 

Would be a good fit for the socceroos given the short time-frame. Not sure if its the right choice as a long term replacement though. 
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Derider - 17 Jan 2018 6:04 PM

Second in a World Cup is not average. BVM achieved this in 2010. This is the best result for 36 years by a Dutch coach.

Hiddink has never achieved this level of success in international football. 

He came 4th with South Korea! Along with a 4th for Russia at the euros. And Australia to the 2nd round! I'd argue that's a far greater achievement than taking a dutch team to 2nd containing a peak form Sneijder, Van Persie, Van Der Vaart, Heitinga, Hunterlaar , Mathijsen, De jong, Kuyt, Van Bommel and Robben!!!

Derider
Derider
Pro

Second in a World Cup is not average. BVM achieved this in 2010. This is the best result for 36 years by a Dutch coach.

I don't know why you're saying Hiddink while quoting my post. I never mentioned him at all. But staying on the Dutch thing,  if it's Van Marwijk vs Van Gaal,  I'd much prefer the latter. He (more recently) took an average team by Dutch standards to third place and beat Spain 5-1. Plus he has actually won things that matter in club competitions and his last job was Manchester United. Are we seriously saying BVM is the better option?

Edited
6 Years Ago by Derider
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Buggalugs 2.0 - 17 Jan 2018 7:37 PM
99 Problems - 17 Jan 2018 7:30 PM

Why restrict the Russia Coach to only those prepared to commit to a long project ?

What's wrong with a 'Guus' til June and then a 'project manager' for the Asian Cup and Qatar tilt ?

Guus has had recent failures with Russia, Turkey and Holland.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Van Marwijk is mid-level at best, so I don't understand why he'd be preferred to a ready-made local option like Arnold. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Derider - 18 Jan 2018 3:45 PM
jaymz - 18 Jan 2018 2:00 PM

Everyone talks about how BVM is a proven tournament coach because he got a talented Dutch team to the final playing a revolting thug style, but no one mentions Euro 2012, when the same talented Dutch team got knocked out in the group stage without winning a game under him. He's not a good option. He's just cheap, which is why FFA like him so much.

Good point about the Euro Champs in 2012 with BVM coaching Holland to an early exit.

However, BVM took  Holland (not a particularly  talented team by Dutch standards) to second in a recent WC. BVM's 2010 Dutch team relied on Van Bommel and De Jong hacking other teams to pieces.

Moreover, BVM recently qualified Saudi Arabia marginally in front of  the Socceroos in the Russian WCQ campaign in our group.

BVM knows a bit about us, he has formulated game plans against us.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

With the short prep time before the WC itll be tough task, unless we fluke a guus type coach who can pull the collective together. So, with that in mind I'm hoping we get a coach who'll work with us through the asian cup and even beyond.
BVM isnt my first choice but maybe we need to mate some of anges ideal possesion football with some mongrel
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Derider - 18 Jan 2018 4:07 PM
Davide82 - 18 Jan 2018 4:02 PM

It's a completely nonsensical question. 

It's really not.

Even though the answer seems obvious to me, a lot of people seem to think an honourable loss is better than an ugly point.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

jas88 - 18 Jan 2018 2:02 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 17 Jan 2018 7:37 PM

Guus with Popovic, Kewell and Bresciano as his assistants.. get some ex golden gen socceroos in there ffs.

Brilliant.  A committee of captains.  Cheers Foz.

Member since 2008.

Derider
Derider
Pro

Davide82 - 18 Jan 2018 4:02 PM
Question:

How many people would prefer us, in a one off tournament at senior level, to play an elusive "style" of pretty sideways football and get 0 points "to be proud of" or to have us play a "physical" game and get 3-4 points?

Not that I think either option directly means those outcomes. Purely hypothetically I mean...

It's a completely nonsensical question. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by Derider
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Question:

How many people would prefer us, in a one off tournament at senior level, to play an elusive "style" of pretty sideways football and get 0 points "to be proud of" or to have us play a "physical" game and get 3-4 points?

Not that I think either option directly means those outcomes. Purely hypothetically I mean...
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search