New Socceroos Coach

New Socceroos Coach

Author
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Burztur - 5 Dec 2017 7:17 PM
The contract is 1.5m per year. FFA probably delaying the signing till Feb to get a 6/12 month contract for up until the World Cup or Asian Cup only to save on some coin...

I think you are on the money, about the money :)

frankstoncity83
frankstoncity83
Under 7s
Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)

Can we at least rule out Kevin Muscat. 
How anyone could consider him beggars belief: a guy who went into the opposition tunnel at half time and head butted the other team's goalie. [it's on Youtube : game was Millwall against Sheffield United ] 

Not saying this as any sort of flame or anything; I just don't want that mentality coaching my national football team. 
frankstoncity83
frankstoncity83
Under 7s
Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)

Nachoman - 4 Dec 2017 4:34 PM
Daum
cocaine and prostitutes
should fit in well with the AFL/NRL guys

Shane Warne wants to be assistant coach. He has contacts in the baked beans business who can add fart power to the Oz forward line. 
astonvilla1
astonvilla1
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

My choice is Ante Milicic give him a 1 year deal and put a senior assistant next to him for the wc like a Hiddink.Knows the players the aleague and staff and our weakness and our strengths.If not him ex Saudi manager.
Bitedge
Bitedge
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 4 Dec 2017 10:35 PM
Dunno why Hiddink isn't getting mentioned. He's been there and done it, knows the board, familiar with australian football etc. He does the same thing for chelsea everythime they lose there manager. We could easily get him now too. No Brainer for mine. If we go the Long term aussie appointment it simply has to be Arnold. Personally i'd prefer we hired Hiddink to manage until the Asian cup and then Arnie after that. 

He is too old and retired. He will be 72 at the next Asian Cup. You lose mental and physical capacity by then. The travel involved in coaching Australia make it a demanding job that very few 72 year olds could do.
Bitedge
Bitedge
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)

He can fuck right off.
Bitedge
Bitedge
Hardcore Fan

I am glad to hear FFA say they are only looking for a long term replacement, not someone to come in just till the next Asian Cup.

Its ridiculous they say it will take until February to get someone, ange quit in November by which time he had looked like quitting for a month already. It should not take 3 months!

jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Bitedge - 6 Dec 2017 3:24 AM

He is too old and retired. He will be 72 at the next Asian Cup. You lose mental and physical capacity by then. The travel involved in coaching Australia make it a demanding job that very few 72 year olds could do.

If Hiddink was to come in it would literally be for the world cup and then he would be off again.

Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

He hasn't retired. In fact i read in an article recently that he is still wanting to coach. 

Robbie slater has recently put him forward as the best candidate and i agree with him https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/socceroos/forget-the-aussies-and-bring-back-guus-hiddink-as-socceroos-coach/news-story/190c16bcf3dc41d01d4e4b8d0b390138  
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

jaymz - 6 Dec 2017 12:16 PM

If Hiddink was to come in it would literally be for the world cup and then he would be off again.

Exactly. I think this would fit well though both for we are as a team and hiddink himself
Proud2BeCanberran
Proud2BeCanberran
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

Fox Sports reporting that Iran coach Carlos Quieroz may step down before the World Cup and FFA have in the past expressed an interest in him post Ange.

Thoughts?

Seemingly done good things for Iran. I'd be for it I think.
OldCodger
OldCodger
Hacker
Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)

Proud2BeCanberran - 7 Dec 2017 11:15 AM
Fox Sports reporting that Iran coach Carlos Quieroz may step down before the World Cup and FFA have in the past expressed an interest in him post Ange.Thoughts?Seemingly done good things for Iran. I'd be for it I think.

Can’t argue with his record. Solid appointment (especially if Graham Arnold is the main alternative) but I’d prefer someone who would retain Ange’s attacking/possession-based style.

Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2072071-2014-world-cup-tactics-board-analysing-carlos-queirozs-iran.amp.html
Not possession based attacking football. Experienced in asia but would be a totally different approach.
Bender Parma
Bender Parma
Hacker
Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)Hacker (450 reputation)

I think i might disagree with the idea that we need a long term coach or even a coach through to the asian cup.  

i think i would prefer to see one off big name coach come in for a short period of time and inspire the socceroos to give their best shot at progressing (and they do have a shot).  Ange has already put the systems in place and give the players the right attitude.  All we need now is a big name who can select the best players available, substitute those who are playin poorly and inspire each player to lift a level.  It surely wouldnt hurt to get someone to shock the world and have mainstream media attention.  I dont think he needs to plan for the future or even be full time.  Nothing wrong with being a club coach or an old coach.  or even an inexperienced coach.  Realistically we are talking about 3 games (hopefully a couple more) and a couple of friendlies.  Milicic and the other staff can keep anges patterns going as assistance and others can build for the future. 

A big name coach that gets media attention and gets people excited about the world cup is what is needed, i would hope for the following:

1. Guus Hiddink - would be absolutely massive in all respects.  The fans would go nuts, with his appointment especially if he appointed Harry Kewell and/or John Aloisi as his assistants.  Hollywood couldnt write a better script.
2. Kenny Dalglish - Out of retirement, in what would be the biggest coup in world football. Imagine the credit Dalglish gets when Australia (of all nations) turns up and plays Ange style football.  Win lose or draw he would be seen as a genius, and i cant see any of our footballers playing poorly. This is a definite win win for both coaches.
3. Sir Alex Ferguson - See above but less impressive because Manchester United sux.
4. Pele - The greatest player of all time, would be easily the biggest news story of all time, and if the socceroos couldnt do it for Pele, they shouldnt be playing football at all. 
5. Maradonna - The second greatest player of all time, but would be a huge coup and he might actually be interested.
6. Jose Mourinho - The biggest name coach, i think, in terms of succesful coaches.  He would probably be considered the highest regarded coach at the world cup. What better way to make a statement that we intend to win the world cup.
7. Terry Venables - Has some unfinished business with the socceroos.  I think he would take the job.  He has never been beaten in a world cup match as an aussie coach, and his Xmas tree formation would fit the current Aussie side perfectly.
8. Brendan Rogers - A big name,with a link through Rogic, who seemed to be a bit of carbon copy of Ange (or vice versa really). I think it would be a pretty good fit.
9. Harry Kewell - Why not give our greatest ever player 4 games to show what he can do.  Potentially, it could help Kewell move towards an eventual EPL job, which would only be good for Australia, it would make huge publicity in Aussie press, and what is there really to lose in such a short period of time. 
10.  Timmy Cahill - Never before (at least that i can remember) has there been a captain coach. Why not save some money and create some huge headlines at the same time.  It is only 4 games, there is a great support staff supposedly in place, and who would bet against Timmy making his one last miracle for australia a huge cup run.

These are the 10 guys  i would most likely see appointed.  I think all 10 would be huge for the game and create massive mainstream interest and sponsorship opportunities.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Bert Van Marwijk.

He recently qualified an average Saudi Arabia for the WC. I'm surprised he isn't  going to continue with them.

BVM achieved second at the 2010 WC with an average Dutch team.
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Bender Parma - 7 Dec 2017 10:22 PM
I think i might disagree with the idea that we need a long term coach or even a coach through to the asian cup.  

i think i would prefer to see one off big name coach come in for a short period of time and inspire the socceroos to give their best shot at progressing (and they do have a shot).  Ange has already put the systems in place and give the players the right attitude.  All we need now is a big name who can select the best players available, substitute those who are playin poorly and inspire each player to lift a level.  It surely wouldnt hurt to get someone to shock the world and have mainstream media attention.  I dont think he needs to plan for the future or even be full time.  Nothing wrong with being a club coach or an old coach.  or even an inexperienced coach.  Realistically we are talking about 3 games (hopefully a couple more) and a couple of friendlies.  Milicic and the other staff can keep anges patterns going as assistance and others can build for the future. 

A big name coach that gets media attention and gets people excited about the world cup is what is needed, i would hope for the following:

1. Guus Hiddink - would be absolutely massive in all respects.  The fans would go nuts, with his appointment especially if he appointed Harry Kewell and/or John Aloisi as his assistants.  Hollywood couldnt write a better script.
2. Kenny Dalglish - Out of retirement, in what would be the biggest coup in world football. Imagine the credit Dalglish gets when Australia (of all nations) turns up and plays Ange style football.  Win lose or draw he would be seen as a genius, and i cant see any of our footballers playing poorly. This is a definite win win for both coaches.
3. Sir Alex Ferguson - See above but less impressive because Manchester United sux.
4. Pele - The greatest player of all time, would be easily the biggest news story of all time, and if the socceroos couldnt do it for Pele, they shouldnt be playing football at all. 
5. Maradonna - The second greatest player of all time, but would be a huge coup and he might actually be interested.
6. Jose Mourinho - The biggest name coach, i think, in terms of succesful coaches.  He would probably be considered the highest regarded coach at the world cup. What better way to make a statement that we intend to win the world cup.
7. Terry Venables - Has some unfinished business with the socceroos.  I think he would take the job.  He has never been beaten in a world cup match as an aussie coach, and his Xmas tree formation would fit the current Aussie side perfectly.
8. Brendan Rogers - A big name,with a link through Rogic, who seemed to be a bit of carbon copy of Ange (or vice versa really). I think it would be a pretty good fit.
9. Harry Kewell - Why not give our greatest ever player 4 games to show what he can do.  Potentially, it could help Kewell move towards an eventual EPL job, which would only be good for Australia, it would make huge publicity in Aussie press, and what is there really to lose in such a short period of time. 
10.  Timmy Cahill - Never before (at least that i can remember) has there been a captain coach. Why not save some money and create some huge headlines at the same time.  It is only 4 games, there is a great support staff supposedly in place, and who would bet against Timmy making his one last miracle for australia a huge cup run.

These are the 10 guys  i would most likely see appointed.  I think all 10 would be huge for the game and create massive mainstream interest and sponsorship opportunities.

I tend to agree with the sentiment that given the limited time, it's more about the marketing than the results.

jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Scolari linked with the socceroos job. Apparently wants a longer term appointment than just the world cup though.

He is a world cup winner, so that has to count for something, even if he was responsible for the 7-1.

IMO second only to bielsa based on the candidates

Luiz Felipe Scolari confirms Socceroos job approach and interest to lead Australia to World Cup

SOCCEROOS
Brazil's Ronaldo runs to celebrate with Brazilian coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.
Brazil's Ronaldo runs to celebrate with Brazilian coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.Source: AP

FOOTBALL Federation Australia claims it is yet to approach any Socceroos coaching candidates, after World Cup-winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said he was sounded out about the vacant position.

Scolari, who recently ended a two-and-a-half year stint with Guangzhou Evergrande in China, said there had been talks with his agent about him replacing Ange Postecoglou, who resigned in November.“I am one of the names they spoke with ... to see if I was interested in taking them to the World Cup,” Scolari told Reuters in an exclusive interview on Tuesday.Scolari said he was happy to discuss a role with the Australians, but would want it to be long-term, not just for the tournament in June and July.“I don’t intend in just taking a team to the World Cup,” the former Chelsea manager added. “I intend on leading a team with an organised project for one or two years. But I am interested.”
Luiz Felipe Scolari while in charge of Evergrande.
Luiz Felipe Scolari while in charge of Evergrande.Source: News Corp Australia
Australia qualified for Russia after beating Honduras in an intercontinental play-off and have been drawn in Group C against France, Peru and Denmark.Postecoglou quit the Socceroos a week after securing Australia’s spot. Having led Brazil to World Cup glory in 2002, Scolari suffered the ignominy of a 7-1 home defeat by Germany in the 2014 tournament - their first home loss since 1975 - and an event Scolari described at the time as the “worst day of my life”.Days later his Brazil tenure came to an end after a 3-0 defeat to the Netherlands in a third-place play-off.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/luiz-felipe-scolari-confirms-socceroos-job-approach-to-lead-australia-to-world-cup/news-story/c2facacb396fba1b4bdef27ee5789f6a

Edited
7 Years Ago by jaymz
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro

That didnt last long....

Football Federation Australia deny approaching Luiz Felipe Scolari about Socceroos job

55 reading now
Football Federation Australia claims it is yet to approach any Socceroos coaching candidates, after World Cup-winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said he was sounded out about the vacant position.Scolari, who recently ended a two-and-a-half-year stint with Chinese Super League outfit Guangzhou Evergrande, said Australian soccer's governing body had been in talks with his agent about replacing Ange Postecoglou."I am one of the names they spoke with ... to see if I was interested in taking them to the World Cup," Scolari said on Tuesday.Scolari said he was happy to discuss the role but wants a long-term contract rather than one stretching only up until next year's tournament in Russia.

RELATED ARTICLES

"I don't intend in just taking a team to the World Cup," the former Chelsea manager said."I intend on leading a team with an organised project for one or two years."But I am interested."

Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy.FFA said on Tuesday its selection panel was still defining the criteria for the job it's been tasked to fill by mid-February, and had not yet approached any candidates.

The nine-person panel – featuring former Socceroos Mark Schwarzer, Stan Lazaridis and Mark Bresciano – has already been inundated with hundreds of inquiries including from agents representing a number of high-profile names, with Scolari understood to be among them.Having led Brazil to World Cup glory in 2002, Scolari suffered the ignominy of a 7-1 home defeat by Germany in the 2014 tournament – their first home loss since 1975 – and an event Scolari described at the time as the "worst day of my life".Days later his Brazil tenure came to an end after a 3-0 defeat to the Netherlands in the third-place play-off.Former England manager Sven Goran Eriksson is another foreigner to have publicly flagged his interest, while others linked to the job include Marcelo Bielsa, Juergen Klinsmann, Bert van Marwijk, Gianni De Biasi, Slavoljub Muslin, Christoph Daum and Guus Hiddink.Locally, Graham Arnold's drum is still beating loudest, with contracted Sydney FC coach understood to be interested though intent on waiting for FFA to reach out.While FFA chief executive David Gallop has indicated an Australian coach would be preferable, it is casting the net far and wide in search of the right person to lead the Socceroos against World Cup group opponents France, Denmark and Peru.Contract length and continuing Postecoglou's legacy are among the key factors being considered during the coach search.Australia qualified for Russia after beating Honduras in an intercontinental play-off. Postecoglou quit the Socceroos a week after securing Australia's spot.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/football-federation-australia-sound-out-scolari-for-world-cup-job-20171212-h03ja4.html

Edited
7 Years Ago by jaymz
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

It sounds like FFA is full of shut.

It sounds like he was contacted. Perhaps no discussion took place about terms but Phil was contacted. Therefor they have talked.
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/1115364931587/Fozz-on-Scolari-as-Socceroos-coach

Fozz on Scolari as Socceroos coach

GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend

Edited
7 Years Ago by GloryPerth
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

savage
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Tend to agree with Fozz. Would be genuinely interested to know who Fozz or Tim Palmer or Kate Cohen rate as genuine contenders for the job to tick all of these fozz mentions
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

fox sports reporting arnold has been offered it.

fmd 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Worldwide search *goes downstairs and knocks on the SFC office door. 
Gruen
Gruen
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

It is not February
lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Redcarded - 13 Dec 2017 7:47 PM
Tend to agree with Fozz. Would be genuinely interested to know who Fozz or Tim Palmer or Kate Cohen rate as genuine contenders for the job to tick all of these fozz mentions

Would Scolari provide all that? No! Haha
Classic Foz! 
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro

Neither could Arnold. I'm not sure who could ever do all of those things on the list that Fozz mentioned. So, genuinely would like to know who he, or any other really properly football schooled person thinks could
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro

Only issue with arnold now would be lack of time to change how the team plays from the all out attack we currently have

Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro

jaymz - 13 Dec 2017 11:02 PM
Only issue with arnold now would be lack of time to change how the team plays from the all out attack we currently have

TBH we should be more pragmatic until the good youth come through. We aren't good enough to be attacking yet 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search