ACL: Shanghai Shenua v Sydney

ACL: Shanghai Shenua v Sydney

Author
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
433 - 22 Feb 2018 6:47 PM
bluebird - 22 Feb 2018 4:22 PM

So really a bunch of neat factoids and hearsay, I point you to this article: http://www.traveller.com.au/popularity-of-sport-in-australia-were-not-that-into-it-and-were-not-good-at-it-either-gzfw27

And we Australians are certainly not bizarrely better than most other nations in our athletic endeavours. Iceland, a country with a population of 335,000, has already qualified for the FIFA World Cup. New Zealand, a nation of 4.7 million, absolutely dominates the rugby world. Jamaica, with just under 3 million people, produces freakishly talented sprinter after freakishly talented sprinter.

But Australia? We're good at AFL, a sport no one else even plays. We used to be good at tennis, but then everyone else caught up. We have very few great track athletes; very few world-beating footballers. We're just average really – a fact that doesn't fit in very well with the national myth, but it's true. And that's largely because we're actually not that into sport.

It smacks to me of just Australian parochialism, similar to when ANZAC day rolls around people like Peter Fitzimmons like to jerk themselves off to the idea that we're the only country on planet Earth that has things like "mateship", or that we're the "land of the fair go" or some bullshit. 

That article wasn't written by an expert. It is a bias and heavily opinionated piece to make a fanciful point, not fact based journalism

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

433 - 22 Feb 2018 4:10 PM

Football is 3rd and there is a $50m TV deal and average attendances that are still amongst the highest in Asia - this has happened 14 years after the game was nothing

The Australian government has put up billions of dollars in stadia and infrastructure and also multi millions in hosting events (and not hosting them)

There are 2 public holidays in Victoria for sporting events

Investment in sport is huge and would be amongst the highest in the world per capita - the only time the per capita argument is valid because it demonstrates proportionate expenditure and interest

There was even one Olympics where Australia sent over 400 athletes

If your country invests the most in medicine then the citizens will most likely choose a path in medicine and you'll have the most doctors. If military is the object of your country, then your army will be bigger and you'll have a dedicated army. If your country invests in sport then a lot of citizens will become athletes

And this isn't just Melbourne or Sydney either

There is no danger in 2 teams dominating football, investment dropping and everybody walking away

So really a bunch of neat factoids and hearsay, I point you to this article: http://www.traveller.com.au/popularity-of-sport-in-australia-were-not-that-into-it-and-were-not-good-at-it-either-gzfw27

And we Australians are certainly not bizarrely better than most other nations in our athletic endeavours. Iceland, a country with a population of 335,000, has already qualified for the FIFA World Cup. New Zealand, a nation of 4.7 million, absolutely dominates the rugby world. Jamaica, with just under 3 million people, produces freakishly talented sprinter after freakishly talented sprinter.

But Australia? We're good at AFL, a sport no one else even plays. We used to be good at tennis, but then everyone else caught up. We have very few great track athletes; very few world-beating footballers. We're just average really – a fact that doesn't fit in very well with the national myth, but it's true. And that's largely because we're actually not that into sport.

It smacks to me of just Australian parochialism, similar to when ANZAC day rolls around people like Peter Fitzimmons like to jerk themselves off to the idea that we're the only country on planet Earth that has things like "mateship", or that we're the "land of the fair go" or some bullshit. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by 433
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

BETHFC - 22 Feb 2018 4:44 PM
bluebird - 22 Feb 2018 4:37 PM

Or city could pump the league full of loanees and win 10 straight titles which has an equal probability.....

That right. That equal probability is zero

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

bluebird - 22 Feb 2018 4:37 PM
BETHFC - 22 Feb 2018 4:24 PM

I would argue that its hard for 2 teams to dominate in the Australian landscape. The 3+1 rule prevents it unless you think there are only 36 good Aussie players

The thing I find odd is that there are many people here who think if we ever removed the cap we'll end up like Scotland. But nobody who thinks that if we remove the cap we'll end up like the EPL. Both scenarios have equal probability (ie- zero)

If the cap was ever removed there would be 4-5 teams dominating and if each won 3 titles that would take 15 years, and by then the balance of power would have shifted. Some big teams out, some in

Competitive sport is not a threat. Yes the winning team enjoys a small amount of uplift, but guess what, somebody is going to win the league each year, as is somebody going to lose it

Or city could pump the league full of loanees and win 10 straight titles which has an equal probability.....

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

I would argue that it would be hard to grow the game with 2/10 teams dominating. 

I would argue that its hard for 2 teams to dominate in the Australian landscape. The 3+1 rule prevents it unless you think there are only 36 good Aussie players

The thing I find odd is that there are many people here who think if we ever removed the cap we'll end up like Scotland. But nobody who thinks that if we remove the cap we'll end up like the EPL. Both scenarios have equal probability (ie- zero)

If the cap was ever removed there would be 4-5 teams dominating and if each won 3 titles that would take 15 years, and by then the balance of power would have shifted. Some big teams out, some in

Competitive sport is not a threat. Yes the winning team enjoys a small amount of uplift, but guess what, somebody is going to win the league each year, as is somebody going to lose it

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

I would argue that it would be hard to grow the game with 2/10 teams dominating. 

yeah there are arguments for and against the salary cap
there are other more unambiguous ways to improve the game
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

bluebird - 22 Feb 2018 1:59 PM

I don't know why people keep saying this, what exactly makes us "sports mad"?

It's the same people who say Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world coz they have more VFL(and invited guests) teams than anywhere else
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Australian sports mad - only if winners - this thread confirms it lol.....

Love Football

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

There is no danger in 2 teams dominating football, investment dropping and everybody walking away

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

Football is 3rd and there is a $50m TV deal and average attendances that are still amongst the highest in Asia - this has happened 14 years after the game was nothing

The Australian government has put up billions of dollars in stadia and infrastructure and also multi millions in hosting events (and not hosting them)

There are 2 public holidays in Victoria for sporting events

Investment in sport is huge and would be amongst the highest in the world per capita - the only time the per capita argument is valid because it demonstrates proportionate expenditure and interest

There was even one Olympics where Australia sent over 400 athletes

If your country invests the most in medicine then the citizens will most likely choose a path in medicine and you'll have the most doctors. If military is the object of your country, then your army will be bigger and you'll have a dedicated army. If your country invests in sport then a lot of citizens will become athletes

And this isn't just Melbourne or Sydney either

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

BETHFC - 22 Feb 2018 1:41 PM

1 or 2 teams? Really? So the Australian talent pool is 36 players

Give me a break

We already have a shitty domestic comp and the ACL is a constant reminder

Australia is a sports mad country with large sport investment and programs. A few results will go our way purely based on Athletical ability and ability to grind out results in a low scoring game but for the most we will continually be outperformed by nations that don't fear a Scotland type scenario even though they don't have a 3+1 rule and we do

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

bluebird - 22 Feb 2018 2:27 PM
BETHFC - 22 Feb 2018 2:08 PM

You don't get it

Scotland is like Scotland because it doesn't have a 3+1 rule which means teams can buy the league and the two wealthy provinces have long profited

Australia with a 3+1 rule and a broader population distribution / sports investment will never ever ever end up like fucking Scotland

I think I misunderstood what you were saying before, sorry. 

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Must win home game for Sydney next. 

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

BETHFC - 22 Feb 2018 2:08 PM

Who would bother watching a league that is just like Scotland? You have Celtic who are well supported and funded and then you have everyone else. Rangers are getting their shit together slowly but no one can compete with Celtic. What kind of idiot would want that here just to compete in a tournament that clearly by crowd numbers no one cares about?

How do you grow a game when there isn't a level playing field? 

Australia is sports mad, just not so much for football. 

You don't get it

Scotland is like Scotland because it doesn't have a 3+1 rule which means teams can buy the league and the two wealthy provinces have long profited

Australia with a 3+1 rule and a broader population distribution / sports investment will never ever ever end up like fucking Scotland

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Good game, that is more like the quality I've been craving. Good to see Sydney dominating a game against such opposition. Dissapointing we didn't make more of so many chances.

Beaten by Eldar

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Give me a break

Australia is a sports mad country with large sport investment and programs. A few results will go our way purely based on Athletical ability and ability to grind out results in a low scoring game but for the most we will continually be outperformed by nations that don't fear a Scotland type scenario even though they don't have a 3+1 rule and we do

Who would bother watching a league that is just like Scotland? You have Celtic who are well supported and funded and then you have everyone else. Rangers are getting their shit together slowly but no one can compete with Celtic. What kind of idiot would want that here just to compete in a tournament that clearly by crowd numbers no one cares about?

How do you grow a game when there isn't a level playing field? 

Australia is sports mad, just not so much for football. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by BETHFC
bluebird
bluebird
Legend

bluebird - 22 Feb 2018 1:39 PM

You cant have both. You either have a shitty domestic comp dominated by 1 or 2 teams with those 1 or 2 teams doing well in Asia against comparative players or you have what we have now. 

Give me a break

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 22 Feb 2018 1:25 PM
City Sam - 22 Feb 2018 1:13 PM

I never said that. I assume you have me confused with another poster. 

All I'm saying is the performance suggested we could still make it out of the group. I'm trying to counter the constant negativity of the likes of bluebird and WSF, who for varying reasons are throwing a wet blanket over anyone who says anything positive about the game or Sydney's performance. 

If Sydney continue to concede 2 goals a game they will not make it out the group stage, just the truth no negativity at all. 
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

That performance from SFC was nowhere near the best by an Aussie team in the ACL.
It was entertaining,but defence was shocking from both teams with space all over the place.
Shanghai spent most of their time long balling to Martins up front.They were not a good side except for star individuals.They were not a fit side.
Sydney are going to have to score three or more goals to win games.
Against Suwon and Kawasaki.....I dont think so.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

bluebird - 22 Feb 2018 1:39 PM
phutbol - 22 Feb 2018 1:14 PM

And how has that panned out for ACL results?

Brisbane - didn't make it past the playoff round against the Philippines
Melbourne - 3rd and winless
Sydney - dead last

The impact of the salary cap is more about the distribution of players. 70% of Australia's best were not part of ACL squads

You cant have both. You either have a shitty domestic comp dominated by 1 or 2 teams with those 1 or 2 teams doing well in Asia against comparative players or you have what we have now. 

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

bluebird - 22 Feb 2018 12:25 PM

Are you are suggesting that Shanghai Shenua can pay its foreigners circa $10m each per season but cant afford the better quality Chinese players? if anything that says having no cap just inflates the price of a relatively limited pool of talent that clearly isnt worth that much. On that basis i can see why some oppose removing the cap here.

Are you saying that our players values are being suppressed by the salary cap and that they should be worth more. You can't have it both ways. That's why you let the market decide.

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

Are you are suggesting that Shanghai Shenua can pay its foreigners circa $10m each per season but cant afford the better quality Chinese players? if anything that says having no cap just inflates the price of a relatively limited pool of talent that clearly isnt worth that much. On that basis i can see why some oppose removing the cap here.

And how has that panned out for ACL results?

Brisbane - didn't make it past the playoff round against the Philippines
Melbourne - 3rd and winless
Sydney - dead last

The impact of the salary cap is more about the distribution of players. 70% of Australia's best were not part of ACL squads

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

Davide82 - 22 Feb 2018 1:29 PM

I know the point you are trying to make (for the 13,476th time) but that's a COMPLETELY ridiculous assertion.

So the best 30 individual players in the Serie A play for Napoli?

It wasn't literal, it was approximate

The point is they finished 11th so presumably the best players would have been in the top 4 clubs

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

phutbol - 22 Feb 2018 12:20 PM

No salary cap means the best players in the CSL are in the top clubs. You were seeing Chinese players 300 - 330 up against a random mix of Aussie players 1 - 180

I know the point you are trying to make (for the 13,476th time) but that's a COMPLETELY ridiculous assertion.

So the best 30 individual players in the Serie A play for Napoli?

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

City Sam - 22 Feb 2018 1:13 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 22 Feb 2018 12:57 PM

Doesn't matter if it was an entertaining game, you drew against not even one of the top sides from China in their pre season and you are saying it is the best ever performance from an Aussie team? Get a grip honestly.

I never said that. I assume you have me confused with another poster. 

All I'm saying is the performance suggested we could still make it out of the group. I'm trying to counter the constant negativity of the likes of bluebird and WSF, who for varying reasons are throwing a wet blanket over anyone who says anything positive about the game or Sydney's performance. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

City Sam - 22 Feb 2018 9:47 AM
grazorblade - 22 Feb 2018 3:29 AM

The good thing for Sydney is this seems a pretty even group, teams should be constantly taking points off eachother. But if they fail to beat Kashima at home they are almost definitely out.

Depends on the other results like you said, if there are a few draws they could get lucky but you really have to win your home games to make it through. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by WSF
phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

phutbol - 22 Feb 2018 12:20 PM

Because if we can learn one thing from the A League its that throwing lots of money behind one player makes a difference

No salary cap means the best players in the CSL are in the top clubs. You were seeing Chinese players 300 - 330 up against a random mix of Aussie players 1 - 180

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

WSF - 22 Feb 2018 12:50 PM

Did you watch the match WSF?

Doesn't matter if it was an entertaining game, you drew against not even one of the top sides from China in their pre season and you are saying it is the best ever performance from an Aussie team? Get a grip honestly.
WSF
WSF
Pro

WSF - 22 Feb 2018 12:50 PM

Did you watch the match WSF?

Yes, what does that have to do with conceding 2 goals a game? 

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

So basically only South Melbourne can beat a top flight Chinese club?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search