Top 50 Australian Youth Detailed and Ranked (with pictures)

Top 50 Australian Youth Detailed and Ranked (with pictures)

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
someone a while ago had a post on the average number of professional games big 5 players had by the age of 18,19, 20 etc.

Does anyone have that article? It would be interesting comparing
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Great post, was hoping someone would provide an update on the youngsters coming thru, well done.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

I reckon this and Aussies Abroad should be given a 2 week trial as stickied threads and if we all show effort they shouldn't die. It's just a matter of looking at the very top. My eyes are trained to just look at the threads and the stickied ones get completely missed.

Additionally we've all been a bit lax with posting in world football etc. Just a forum phenomenon isn't it? I'll admit I can be lazy and not open that other tab.... 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
@johnszasz

We’ve tried stickying Aussies Abroad 3 times, and each time it died, save for a few regulars. It wasn’t the same, with around 70% less posts than when not stickied.

The lesson has been learned - Aussies Abroad is best where it is.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Great topic it’s great being a city fan and seeing so many young guys come through
socceroo_06
socceroo_06
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

grazorblade - 6 Aug 2018 12:47 AM
someone a while ago had a post on the average number of professional games big 5 players had by the age of 18,19, 20 etc.

Does anyone have that article? It would be interesting comparing

Here you go grazor

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr14/en/

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Bowden - 6 Aug 2018 7:40 AM
@johnszaszWe’ve tried stickying Aussies Abroad 3 times, and each time it died, save for a few regulars. It wasn’t the same, with around 70% less posts than when not stickied.The lesson has been learned - Aussies Abroad is best where it is.

3 times aye? Stickied really kills them off. No worries. It's always up near the top anyway. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

socceroo_06 - 6 Aug 2018 9:42 AM
grazorblade - 6 Aug 2018 12:47 AM

Here you go grazor

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr14/en/

Cheers! If no one else does it I'll check how each player is doing against these benchmarks
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Bumping this epic thread for reference to current discussions in other threads.
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Can add Harry souttar now also. Born 22 October 1998 plays for Stoke on loan to Ross County last year, under 19 Scotland rep and brother of Hearts John Souttar. 
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Bunch of Hacks - 26 Aug 2018 5:31 AM
Can add Harry souttar now also. Born 22 October 1998 plays for Stoke on loan to Ross County last year, under 19 Scotland rep and brother of Hearts John Souttar. 

I'd personally place him number 5 on the defender list after Deng 
Volkira
Volkira
Hacker
Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)Hacker (320 reputation)

This really helps with finding teams to watch and track the progress of our young Australians.
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

The great thing about this thread Neanderthal which you might not realise is that jan 1st 1997 or after is the cut off for the next Olympics. 

So all these players mentioned are eligible for the Olyroos :) 
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

I’m tempted to add him and a couple of other players that I realised I missed since. Maybe if I find the time one day.

Otherwise, I’ll do another one next offseason or in the lead up to the Olympic qualifiers.

Keep letting me know of players to add if you guys think of them.

The great thing about this thread Neanderthal which you might not realise is that jan 1st 1997 or after is the cut off for the next Olympics.

So all these players mentioned are eligible for the Olyroos Smile

Mentioned that in the first post 😉
It’s gonna be a good Olympic cycle.
Capac
Capac
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Personally I think Margush from Adelaide United should be added on here as goalkeeper. He's a future international if his games a couple of years ago were anything to go by and he's only kept out of the starting side because of Izzo. 
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

Can we keep this thread going!!! With some updates on these players with the Euro season starting.

Langan
Langan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

hadn't heard of this kid in the Serie C has he been mentioned in the Aussies abroad thread? Great post by the way.
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Sydney FC have promoted 

Cameron Devlin 20yo
Joel King 17yo 

both on one year deals

and 
Ryan Teague 16yo
Marco Tilio 17yo
Jerry Skodatis 18yo

on a  scholarship basis

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Bumping this. Who has made the best starts to the new season?
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

johnszasz - 3 Nov 2018 10:48 PM
Bumping this. Who has made the best starts to the new season?

Keanu Baccus and O'Doherty are doing ok for WSW. O'Doherty scored a nice goal today as well.

https://www.a-league.com.au/video/jordan-odoherty-puts-icing-cake

Ryan Strain has done well in the cup playing at right back and has been ok playing wing in the league since Halloran is playing upfront and Kitto and Nikola were injured. I can see him being dropped in favour of Marrone though, since he's done well at RB when Strain'sbeen playing wing.

Apostolos Stamatelopoulos will get plenty of mins since Baba and Blackwood are both out long term, however we are looking at a injury replacement striker.

Blackwood looked good before breaking his collarbone too.

Devlin has looked tidy when he has came of the bench for Sydney. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by sub007
robbos
robbos
Pro

Connor O'Toole!!!!

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I was very impressed with O’Doherty, looks like a very good talent but why did Adelaide let him go? WSW’s gain I guess.
con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Neanderthal - 5 Aug 2018 4:58 PM

This is my most ambitious post ever. My Principia. My Origin of Species. My Mona Lisa.

I started keeping tabs of young potential future Socceroos in the notes of my phone. Then added images to be able to picture them better when reading The Aussies Abroad thread or A-League results. It became too good a resource not to screenshot and share.

Below, Australia's top 51 youth born in 1997 or younger (So max age 21).
Let me know if I missed anyone obvious.

Rankings based on:

- Achievement (So naturally favours older players and players getting game time)
- Hype (here and in the media)
- Managers/pundits assessments
- My own bias/reading of the stats

Goalkeepers:
Only one name in this age group thrown around at this stage.

Defence:
Looking strong in the fullback spots. We’re living in Australia's Leftback golden generation.
Centre back is looking thin, but it is a late bloomers position.

Central Midfield:
Some tough competition coming through for our senior National teams already strong midfield.

Attacking Midfield/Wingers:
An endless supply of high potential technically skilled attacking midfielders coming through. Much needed in our senior national team.
Rank 2-9 were hard to split as they’re all equally full of hype and potential.

Strikers:
This section felt like scraping the bottom of the barrel from the start. Just like the previous generation, we have a lack of strikers getting game time or scoring goals.
Few of these players have done anything aside from threatening to break out. But all we need is one or two.

Con Ouzo 8
 you cannot be serious
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Barca4Life - 4 Nov 2018 9:22 AM
I was very impressed with O’Doherty, looks like a very good talent but why did Adelaide let him go? WSW’s gain I guess.
He wasn't going to get any game time with us. He would've been behind Ilso, Boland and Nathan K if he stayed.
fanoffootball
fanoffootball
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)Hardcore Fan (246 reputation)

Surely Delianov makes the list after his superb keping during the U19 Asian Championship. The guy was on fire!

Bowden
Bowden
Legend

Group: Moderators
Agree Delianov is definitely one to watch now. The kid is a gun.
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Pavlesic was very good too for u17s.
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Con Ouzo 8
you cannot be serious

I wrote this before any of us had seen him play. He was just a name in Evertons academy with a decent rep. Feel free to write your own list though :)
robbos
robbos
Pro

Bump again, Connor O'Toole again looks quality. Jordan O'Doherty too.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

robbos - 24 Nov 2018 10:06 PM
Bump again, Connor O'Toole again looks quality. Jordan O'Doherty too.

And Lachlan Wales too, the kid was impressive with his skills.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search