Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Author
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
chris - 4 Nov 2018 4:26 PM

The average free-to-air audience for the NRL was 600,181 in 2018, compared to 307,793 for the AFL (down 13 per cent on 2017), acknowledging that the AFL has cross-over timeslots and doesn’t go free to air with the same games nationally.

The average subscription TV audience (Foxtel) for the NRL was 240,879 in 2018 (up 3 per cent on 2017), compared to 184,821 for the AFL (down 7 per cent on 2017).

On a positive note, our attendances are on par with NRL 

Beaten by Eldar

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Eldar - 4 Nov 2018 7:22 PM
chris - 4 Nov 2018 4:26 PM

On a positive note, our attendances are on par with NRL 

Only the three big teams are really .Adelaide too when they are winning. Other than that i dont see too many 5k crowds out and about in the NRL. 

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 4 Nov 2018 8:30 PM
Eldar - 4 Nov 2018 7:22 PM

Only the three big teams are really .Adelaide too when they are winning. Other than that i dont see too many 5k crowds out and about in the NRL. 

NRL gets 5k in the rain all the time.......and the reason they don't have a team on the Central Coast is that they don't want regular crowds of 6k

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
6 Years Ago by Eldar
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Eldar - 4 Nov 2018 8:52 PM
TheSelectFew - 4 Nov 2018 8:30 PM

NRL gets 5k in the rain all the time.......and the reason they don't have a team on the Central Coast is that they don't want regular crowds of 6k

TBF I really like CCM. Perfect little stadium for a tight community. I have a massive soft spot for them. If they can sustain their club with crowds such as 6k then so be it. We need caps on salaries gone so if they do get relegated they can continue to sustain themselves.

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

would be interesting to see how ccm v adelaide went against the cricket yesterday when people all over social media were claiming they didn't even know was on. 

AJF - 2 Nov 2018 12:21 PM
Also posted in another thread but Ihad a look at the Foxtel numbers for the other codes and average audience for the NRL was 240,879 in 2018 (up 3 per cent on 2017), compared to 184,821 for the AFL (down 7 per cent on 2017.Interstingly, the commentators put this down to the NRL being a tight contest this year increasing viewers while AFL had alot of one-sided games causing the drop.

its my understanding that the AFL started low and picked up a little as the season went on. this makes the "one sided games" argument irrelelavant as most of the garbage games come at the end of the season when teams are out of finals contention.  

The_Wookie
The_Wookie
Hacker
Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 5 Nov 2018 9:07 AM
would be interesting to see how ccm v adelaide went against the cricket yesterday when people all over social media were claiming they didn't even know was on. 

AJF - 2 Nov 2018 12:21 PM

its my understanding that the AFL started low and picked up a little as the season went on. this makes the "one sided games" argument irrelelavant as most of the garbage games come at the end of the season when teams are out of finals contention.  

CCm v Adelaide rated 41,000

ODI rated in at 277,000 and 133,000

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/sunday-4-november-2018/6238

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

“At the close of R3, the average Foxtel audience for the A-league has dropped 34.35% to an average of 52,000 per game, down from 78,000 at the start of the 2017-18 season. R3 was watched by 221,000 on Foxtel. Streaming figures not available.”

Footyindustry tweet

Mariners/Reds 41,000. Same source.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Its been a difficult nay disastrous start to the season, crowds and ratings heading south with memberships looking to have a slight growth and streaming an unknown but being touted as high as a third of the viewing audience.  

There is no hiding we are not in a good spot.

My reading of the tea leaf’s and tarot card’s says there are four main reasons.
·         Three years of civil war between stakeholders.
·         Near constant negativity over the last three years by both main stream but especially social media.
·         Media, infighting today, reports I have read indicate Fox and Ten new CBS ownership's don’t like each other, and SBS when not in charge always sulk. I have read where   Fox are concerned the clubs when they get together may go to a totally new broadcast format and they are none to happy.
·         Finally, the splitting of the EPL & Hal viewers

We need to win back trust.

As to whether P & R is a fix all, its a mute point as I see it in that we all agree it needs to happen, but the money man say its financially impossible at this stage of our development.

Who ever finishes up in charge has a mega job to stop the decline and start growth again. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by Midfielder
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Midfielder - 5 Nov 2018 12:15 PM
Its been a difficult nay disastrous start to the season, crowds and ratings heading south with memberships looking to have a slight growth and streaming an unknown but being touted as high as a third of the viewing audience.  

There is no hiding we are not in a good spot.

My reading of the tea leaf’s and tarot card’s says there are four main reasons.
·         Three years of civil war between stakeholders.
·         Near constant negativity over the last three years by both main stream but especially social media.
·         Media, infighting today, reports I have read indicate Fox and Ten new CBS ownership's don’t like each other, and SBS when not in charge always sulk. I have read where   Fox are concerned the clubs when they get together may go to a totally new broadcast format and they are none to happy.
·         Finally, the splitting of the EPL & Hal viewers

We need to win back trust.

As to whether P & R is a fix all, its a mute point as I see it in that we all agree it needs to happen, but the money man say its financially impossible at this stage of our development.

Who ever finishes up in charge has a mega job to stop the decline and start growth again. 

Yeah

I know that sometimes as I'm getting ready to watch matches on tv, I think "actually, CBS and Fox haven't been getting along lately...so I think I'll skip tonight's game".

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Footballer - 5 Nov 2018 12:25 PM
Midfielder - 5 Nov 2018 12:15 PM

Yeah

I know that sometimes as I'm getting ready to watch matches on tv, I think "actually, CBS and Fox haven't been getting along lately...so I think I'll skip tonight's game".

Thats clever of you. I admire how astute you must be.

As for others maybe its the lack of promotion especially cross promotional activity ... I watched the project in the week leading up to rd 1 and the lead up to Rd 2... almost zero mention and yet Super Cars and 10's own internal shows mentioned heaps of times...

One of the key reasons for going to Ten was the supposed promotional effort a FTA would make ... but its been very little and the talk is CBS & News do not like each other .

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

How did peppa pig do?
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

southmelb - 5 Nov 2018 12:39 PM
How did peppa pig do?

Smashed it.
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro

Midfielder - 5 Nov 2018 12:33 PM

As for others maybe its the lack of promotion especially cross promotional activity ... I watched the project in the week leading up to rd 1 and the lead up to Rd 2... almost zero mention and yet Super Cars and 10's own internal shows mentioned heaps of times...

One of the key reasons for going to Ten was the supposed promotional effort a FTA would make ... but its been very little and the talk is CBS & News do not like each other .

Right.  So the reason half of our existing audience has disappeared (in about 2 years) is that fans have forgotten HAL games are played on Friday and Saturday nights. 
Forget new fans, the old ones have just forgotten ----  and they need reminders through "cross promotional activity".

ok

Also ---- "CBS & News do not like each other" --- so...y'know --- that causes existing fans to avoid watching matches as well.

case closed

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

How did S M Hellas go?

In a resort somewhere

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

Midfielder - 5 Nov 2018 12:33 PM

If you could read there where four major points, so lets forget about the other three and be a total smart arse and bang on and on and ignore the other 3, also ignore what a lack of promotion does... further lets ignore the opening of the post that says we are in deep deep trouble.... 

Posting insecurity ignore 95% of a post... then concentrate on one aspect and then misrepresent that ... do you work for a political party ... 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

ch one only signed a 2 year deal. surely leaving next season. 
chris
chris
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

How did peppa pig do?
Bahahaha at your stupidity
chris
chris
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

I think foxtel losing EPL is the biggest factor.
As a curtain raiser the Aleague benefitted to the.massive audience that would tune tn to the EPL
My instinct is that the price of broadcasting will probably be worth 70% of the current deal even with expansion teams X 2
Then what happens?

chris
chris
Pro

chris - 6 Nov 2018 12:10 AM
Bahahaha at your stupidity

Reference was to Paulc
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

paulc - 5 Nov 2018 3:20 PM
How did S M Hellas go?

What do you mean? They don't play in the A-League.

Edited
6 Years Ago by TheSelectFew
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

How did S M Hellas go?

hahaha how defensive does this bloke get
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 7 Nov 2018 3:01 PM

hahaha how defensive does this bloke get

Its a difficult time for old pauly, with the boardroom revolts and political power grabs, money squabbles, foreign country identties encroaching on the HAL (first Brisbane acknowledging their Dutch heritage, then WP with their Maori, and now MV with Japanese shirt) collapsing crowd and TV numbers, the HAL is turning into the thing he despises the most, the NSL (but without the junior development). The horror.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

https://amp.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/foxtel-s-first-tilt-at-cricket-takes-massive-ratings-hit-20181105-p50e2r.html?__twitter_impression=true

Crickets struggling as well
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

I suspect Paulc was rejected by one too many Greek girls while growing up. I can’t explain the hatred otherwise...
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Burztur - 7 Nov 2018 6:12 PM
I suspect Paulc was rejected by one too many Greek girls while growing up. I can’t explain the hatred otherwise...

maybe he lost his girlfriend to a handsome SM player (striker most likely) when they were playing Brisbane Hollandia and he has never been able to get over it.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Makes sense. He just needs a bit of Dutch courage then.
chris
chris
Pro

There seems.to be a thought that FTA would automatically increase viewers of the ALeague
I don't agree
FTA channels have acess to a.much.larger audience however you still need to incentivise he audience to tune in

Football has many issues on multiple fronts
many of you may disagree however a big issue with the aleague is that it is not necessary tailored for the hardcore football fan but rather the entertainment industry.

The entertainment market is a volatile industry and to capture it you need persistent and a costly marketing program.

The FFA have been half assed about getting the average ground level football supporter or participants to follow the A-League

.fact is that football at every level is the most asset rich football code in this country, and that is compared to all the other football cards that we have. We have a rich tradition and a rich history and a very tight woven fabric that should easily be pushed towards the A-League however this hasn't happened.

Our game is fragmented at every level and the Socialist lowy system has not managed to pull all the endpoints together

Thee other point I need to raise and put very simply is that there is simply not enough content in a very noisy sporting environment for football to stand out. We are merely a drop in the ocean when compared to all the content that's out there at the moment in Oz

Forr some reason football always seems to be over engineered yet there are.layers of assets nationally to unify all the endpoints through a proper thought-out pyramid system .The organic elements are all in place. All you need to do is join the dots however we.have people who manage this game at a national leve whol do not see that the unfortunate part is that.

The A-League is a satellite competition and not representative of the football structures that have organically been bred in this country

What concerns me the most is the additional power that will now be held by the franchisees of the A-League. They feel that they have the right  to inherit everything that is football related with in their Territory.

my conclusion is that the game will increase in it's fragmentation with the direction that I feel the A-League will take in the near future

We have some serious concerns about football we have stopped the growth of the smaller clubs around the nation who want to aspire to play at the top level and we have also caged the franchise clubs into a competition which is slowly eroding in revelence in a very saturated market

As always whether it be NSL or whether it be the A league football has been driven by the very few powerful power brokers who only drive their own personal agendas and the power and control of the game rather than the actual growth of the game

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

i think the main 2 targets for FTA games in the medium term are to get games on a primary FTA channel and to get the local teams played in the local market on FTA as much as possible. for example, showing Brisbane Roar v Sydney FC on Ch One in Melbourne ain't gonna boost the ratings.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

City v Wellington 39k
Matildas v Chile 49k
Wanderers v Brisbane 52k
Newcastle v Sydney  48k

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

The new Board has a big job in front of them.The damage done to the game by the S.Lowy reign will not be easy to fix.
50% drop off in ratings in two years is catastrophic.
Streaming excuses just dont cut it.
The trend is set by every year previously,so ratings will only continue to slide.

At some stage there needs to be a reboot under a proper governance ,hopefully with promotion and relegation.

In my opinion there are many contributory reasons for the dramatic slide in ratings.But the broken ,closed shop franchise model is at the heart of everything.
It was always a failed model.The FFA acknowledged this years ago.But what have they done?
FFA have focused on trying to do everything to make the broken model survive.All at the expense of fans,youth ,the game and the what the football community really wants.
The result has been a consistent decoupling of the fans from the game.(The womens game being the only bright spot as it has finally risen from a base which was rock bottom).Given time it would naturally follow the path of the HAL,as the top tier blocks out everyone except the elite few.)

For the HAL the problem is not going to be fixed with the current model.It will get worse until it hits a bottom ,where only diehard fans follow the games.When that occurs is anyones guess.
Expansion will give a temporary sugar hit,but will soon be forgotton as normal service is resumed ,but with more teams that have little chance of winning the competition.
The relaxing of the salary cap has contributed to the fall in ratings,because the richer teams are stronger,which more importantly means the likes of WP and CCM are perpetual cellar dwellars.
If the salary cap is reduced or eliminated it can only happen if there is relegation .Otherwise we will,have half the game meaningless except to the top teams fans.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search