Australia - India, Boxing Day (3rd) Test.

Australia - India, Boxing Day (3rd) Test.

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 10:39 AM
jaszyjim - 27 Dec 2018 10:19 AM

Fair comment. So if CA has a change of mind who will be the skipper? The only two with red ball captaincy under their belts are Mitch Marsh and Travis Head.. both of whom have not cemented their spots as I see it. Tho if not mistaken Khawaja has skippered the Bulls on occasions. I still would want Paine as deputy.

C'mon Starc give it to em. Ruffle some feathers instead of bowling balls that they can comfortably leave.
Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 10:49 AM

C'mon Starc give it to em. Ruffle some feathers instead of bowling balls that they can comfortably leave.
 another gazzunda. 
Finally he pinged one into the body. More of that.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 10:57 AM
baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 10:49 AM
 another gazzunda. 
Finally he pinged one into the body. More of that.

We just saw the reason why Starc is our most inconsistent bowler. Bowls a short cramping ball into the body followed by a wide half volley that was easily dispatched by the rock.. This man continually fails to build pressure. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 11:11 AM
baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 10:57 AM

We just saw the reason why Starc is our most inconsistent bowler. Bowls a short cramping ball into the body followed by a wide half volley that was easily dispatched by the rock.. This man continually fails to build pressure. 

No wickets after the first 10 overs. Not looking good. The temp is rising too. 33C already.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 11:16 AM
baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 11:11 AM

Cummins bowling beautifully.  Kohli beaten again. While Pujara is cool man Luke.

No wickets after the first 10 overs. Not looking good. The temp is rising too. 33C already.

Hazlewood draws an edge behind but yet again it flies into space. Kohli has the luck of the gods.. no mistake.
Edited
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

jaszyjim - 27 Dec 2018 10:19 AM

Fair comment. So if CA has a change of mind who will be the skipper? The only two with red ball captaincy under their belts are Mitch Marsh and Travis Head.. both of whom have not cemented their spots as I see it. Tho if not mistaken Khawaja has skippered the Bulls on occasions. I still would want Paine as deputy.

I agree that Paine should be VC & would be an extremely good one, the problem is exactly what you raised - who else in the team would make a good captain.
I raised Khawaja in a previous post as I did not know much about him, I just like the way he goes about his cricket, but would he make a good captain?
Marsh to me is not a option as if he fails his place will be under question & whilst I do not know much about head captaincy would be too soon.
Smith will be captain again, it is only when after 1st April 2020.
I note that CA banned him from a captaincy role until  the above date, but does that include being a VC?
As I posted previously, if he can be a VC on his return that may be what CA has up their sleeve & it would work as he would be
effectively controlling the field.
I know a lot of you do not like the idea of Smith returning to captaincy but CA has no option as there is no one else & the PR has already started
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

2-255 for India.

Hopefully, it is a flat track, not them batting well.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Keyboard Warrior - 27 Dec 2018 11:54 AM
2-255 for India. Hopefully, it is a flat track, not them batting well.

Flat track. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Marsh bowled well yesterday getting a bit of wobble in the air and keeping it tight

should boo him more often
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

jaszyjim - 27 Dec 2018 11:49 AM

I agree that Paine should be VC & would be an extremely good one, the problem is exactly what you raised - who else in the team would make a good captain.
I raised Khawaja in a previous post as I did not know much about him, I just like the way he goes about his cricket, but would he make a good captain?
Marsh to me is not a option as if he fails his place will be under question & whilst I do not know much about head captaincy would be too soon.
Smith will be captain again, it is only when after 1st April 2020.
I note that CA banned him from a captaincy role until  the above date, but does that include being a VC?
As I posted previously, if he can be a VC on his return that may be what CA has up their sleeve & it would work as he would be
effectively controlling the field.
I know a lot of you do not like the idea of Smith returning to captaincy but CA has no option as there is no one else & the PR has already started

Head has captained the Redbacks for at least the last three years. Has a good record I understand. I have doubts over Head being a long term test player. Seems better suited to short formats. I can not see him playing an innings like Pujara has played twice now in this series. In fact other than Khawaja I doubt if we have anyone in the top six that could. Can we survive until Smithy returns.
Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

the fact that marsh has thus far been good means that tiring us out won't work unless you are going for a draw. Its been very very useful

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:09 PM
jaszyjim - 27 Dec 2018 11:49 AM

Head has captained the Redbacks for at least the last three years. Has a good record I understand. I have doubts over Head being a long term test player. Seems better suited to short formats. I can not see him playing an innings like Pujara has played twice now in this series. In fact other than Khawaja I doubt if we have anyone in the top six that could. Can we survive until Smithy returns.

That is a superb 100 by India's best batsman.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

lyon too quick again

understandable its a flat track

but you have to keep tossing them up
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Excellent century from Pujara, full of grit, determination, patience and quality. He does not play fake cricket of the IPL and it shows.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:02 PM
Keyboard Warrior - 27 Dec 2018 11:54 AM

Flat track. 

Their fast bowlers are better than ours so while it is quite a flat track I think they will get more out of it.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

It would be huge insult to Paine to make Smith VC and expect him to effectively captain the side.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:17 PM
baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:09 PM

That is a superb 100 by India's best batsman.

Not only the quicks are struggling on this flattie. So is Lyon.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:25 PM
baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:17 PM

Not only the quicks are struggling on this flattie. So is Lyon.

35C now.. what is that in the middle I wonder?
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

Kohli is India's best batsman, Pujara is extremely good but not quite at level.
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Test Fan

I tend to agree that Pujara has made a very good century. Has it been chanceless?
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

I reckon kohli should have been out 5 or 6 times in this innings

don't remember too many chances off pujara today
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:27 PM
baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:25 PM

35C now.. what is that in the middle I wonder?

Marsh gets Kohli flashing at another. That would have been a great wicket just before lunch. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:31 PM
baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 12:27 PM

Marsh gets Kohli flashing at another. That would have been a great wicket just before lunch. 

he's living a charmed life out there

wonder if India up the ante after lunch

I think that unless we screw up they've used too many overs to force the issue
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

India well on top, Australia bowled quite well but a fairly flat track and high quality batting meant no wickets. 
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

India can win this test match because their fast bowlers and their batsmen are better than ours. Just because Pujara and Kohli have made a lot of runs does not mean our inferior batsmen will do the same. 
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

Test_Fan - 27 Dec 2018 12:25 PM
It would be huge insult to Paine to make Smith VC and expect him to effectively captain the side.

Smith if made vc would not captain, but you would have someone in a position to advise Paine on micro management of the field that Paine cannot do if he is behind the stumps.
But he would be the up & coming captain, which is what the VC should be.
I don't worry about insults as that intimates emotion being used in making the correct decision.
Decisions need to be made on logic reality and that is not currently happening.
Note India is putting it to us, next session will be 40d plus in the middle & eventually our bowling will loosen up & that is when they will accelerate.
Paine is doing little in this way and is already starting to look tired.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Test_Fan - 27 Dec 2018 12:37 PM
India can win this test match because their fast bowlers and their batsmen are better than ours. Just because Pujara and Kohli have made a lot of runs does not mean our inferior batsmen will do the same. 

if we lose it will be our batters not our bowlers that are the problem

I'd take our our attack over theirs any day

our attack has kept us competitive when we have a batters with 1st class averages in the mid thirties frequently bowling with huge scoreboard pressure against them unlike our golden gen attack
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan

Totally agree with you TF, which is unusual for me. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
grazorblade - 27 Dec 2018 12:30 PM
I reckon kohli should have been out 5 or 6 times in this innings

don't remember too many chances off pujara today

Mark Waugh was just saying on Fox, that Aus has bowled reasonably without luck.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
grazorblade - 27 Dec 2018 12:44 PM

if we lose it will be our batters not our bowlers that are the problem

I'd take our our attack over theirs any day

our attack has kept us competitive when we have a batters with 1st class averages in the mid thirties frequently bowling with huge scoreboard pressure against them unlike our golden gen attack

Good point, Grazor.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search