Australia - India, Boxing Day (3rd) Test.

Australia - India, Boxing Day (3rd) Test.

Author
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Dude - Australia has been outplayed in Aus by an Indian team - the commentators have to say something positive about Aus cricket for the Aus viewing audience...

Cummins is all they can think of...

I suspect some of them were really believing their Aus World Class attack which has been show to be bit of a joke that the rest of the world wasn't believing after watching the going on's in England, SA and UAE...

They're proud former players - this will hurt them a bit...

Edited
6 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Test_Fan - 29 Dec 2018 5:32 PM
Is it too much to ask if Cummins can open the batting as well as opening the bowling?

He is the best disciplined batsman we have by the length of a country mile.

If he passes 44 he is our top scorer. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

if the selectors are as dumb as warne it explains a lot
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Paddles - 29 Dec 2018 5:41 PM
Dude - Australia has been outplayed in Aus by an Indian team - the commentators have to say something positive about Aus cricket for the Aus viewing audience...

Cummins is all the can think of...

I suspect some of them were really believing their Aus WC attack which has been show to be bit of a joke.

I will keep H/Wood in our attack long term as I dont believe there is a better seamer in the country. Everyone loses form.  CA would not keep picking him if they also did not think that. I like grazor's idea of pace rotation. We have such great depth.. waste to have blokes the calibre of Jhye Richardson, Tremain and Pattinson warming their heels.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 29 Dec 2018 5:35 PM
MikeR - 29 Dec 2018 5:13 PM

No way is Head long term. His technique is as loose as a cannon. Did you not hear the 7 coms dissecting his technical flaws. Take a look at his dismissals in this series. Not once has the bowler got him. He has handed them his wicket. Other than today when he played on. He does not average @36 or so for nothing in FC cricket. Keeper/batsmen are as rare as hen's teeth. I admire Timmy for putting up his hand in a difficult time. His coach does as well.

I can not believe the improvement in one test by Pat Cummins. People were calling for his head after his mediocre second test. I among them. He is back to the sort of pace and intimidation that made him an overnite star as a teenager. Unlike in those early days he now has another gear. He can bowl accurate seam up as well anyone going round.

So you will drop Head when he outscores everyone, including Khawaja. I'll go with you on Handscomb but not to give someone with talent a fair go is unbelievable. Head is here to stay until they sort out the other real problem areas.
Openers simple, Unfortunately Warner has to come back as much as I hate to admit it. Burns has to come back, no one else has his record. The selectors have to suck it up and admit they made a mistake, It took time for Khawaja to produce in Asia, time Burns was never given.
Smith replaces S Marsh simple
Maxwell replaces M Marsh, you hate to admit it because you don't like him but it makes sense
Tremain replaces Hazlewood. Tremain has been leading wicket taker for the last 3-4 years, something Hazlewood never got close to being in his time with NSW even prior to being initially selected. Cummins and Tremain opening I would like to see that.
Strike bowler introduced initially at No 3 I think Gabe Bell or Jhye Richardson. Bell averages 21 is a young kid that can build up a career. Richardson is even younger and averages 23. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

oz attack bowled in a heat wave and if not for some awful catching would have kept them to 350 on a batting paradise

hard to criticize the attack this game
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

MikeR - 29 Dec 2018 5:51 PM

So you will drop Head when he outscores everyone, including Khawaja. I'll go with you on Handscomb but not to give someone with talent a fair go is unbelievable. Head is here to stay until they sort out the other real problem areas.
Openers simple, Unfortunately Warner has to come back as much as I hate to admit it. Burns has to come back, no one else has his record. The selectors have to suck it up and admit they made a mistake, It took time for Khawaja to produce in Asia, time Burns was never given.
Maxwell replaces M Marsh, you hate to admit it because you don't like him but it makes sense
Tremain replaces Hazlewood. Tremain has been leading wicket taker for the last 3-4 years, something Hazlewood never got close to being in his time with NSW even prior to being initially selected. Cummins and Tremain opening I would like to see that.
Strike bowler introduced initially at No 3 I think Gabe Bell or Jhye Richardson. Bell averages 21 is a young kid that can build up a career. Richardson is even younger and averages 23. 

I'd be happy with that team but keeping starc for now and having a squad rotation
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 29 Dec 2018 5:48 PM
Paddles - 29 Dec 2018 5:41 PM

I will keep H/Wood in our attack long term as I dont believe there is a better seamer in the country. Everyone loses form.  CA would not keep picking him if they also did not think that. I like grazor's idea of pace rotation. We have such great depth.. waste to have blokes the calibre of Jhye Richardson, Tremain and Pattinson sitting on the sidelines.

Umps are playing an extra half hour.
Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Read what I typed. Long term. He has to start converting much more, work on his dodgy technique before he can be considered a test batsman. I would make a like for like swap for Sri Lanka with Kurtis Patterson who has a classical technique. Time he was given a chance.

Hazlewood has a very good FC record. Bell are you kidding.  Tremain replaces Starc. I still can not accept that Josh will be dropped. If he is then I want Richardson to take his place. 
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

cummins now top scorer
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

If I had to chose a batsman from the Australian team to bat for my life, Cummins would get the gig ahead of a lot of the top 6.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Test_Fan - 29 Dec 2018 6:06 PM
If I had to chose a batsman from the Australian team to bat for my life, Cummins would get the gig ahead of a lot of the top 6.

Yeh he is doing us proud.  He has put us in a position where we just may be able to draw this as rain is predicted tomorrow.  So we go to Sydney still locked together.
Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

can cummins be motm if we lose/draw?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 29 Dec 2018 6:05 PM
cummins now top scorer

Those last two drives are as good as anyone has played in this game. Folks Australia has a new all rounder.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

cummins proving this is a batting paradise even on day 4

batting by oz was awful
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

8-253 is more than enough for a 2nd innings

filthy about those dropped catches

filthy about that 1st oz innings
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

It is definitely an interesting strategy having your best bats in the tail. Bold move Langer
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 29 Dec 2018 6:13 PM
cummins proving this is a batting paradise even on day 4

batting by oz was awful

Our bats should be hanging their heads. Cummins showing them up for their inadequacy on this wicket.

Cant be too many more overs for these two to negotiate. Lyon doing a good support job too.
Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

baggygreenmania - 29 Dec 2018 6:18 PM
grazorblade - 29 Dec 2018 6:13 PM

Our bats should be hanging their heads. Cummins showing them up for their inadequacy on this wicket.

even if they get a poor 250 odd in the first innings we would be in with a slim chance (and probably would have batted better due to a more realistic target)
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

City Sam - 29 Dec 2018 6:16 PM
It is definitely an interesting strategy having your best bats in the tail. Bold move Langer

ha ha Sam.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 29 Dec 2018 6:03 PM

Read what I typed. Long term. He has to start converting much more, work on his dodgy technique before he can be considered a test batsman. I would make a like for like swap for Sri Lanka with Kurtis Patterson who has a classical technique. Time he was given a chance.

Hazlewood has a very good FC record. Bell are you kidding.  Tremain replaces Starc. I still can not accept that Josh will be dropped. If he is then I want Richardson to take his place. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=6788;type=tournament

Josh Hazlewood ranked 22

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/sheffield-shield-2012/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=7544;type=tournament

Josh Hazlewood ranked 16

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=8599;type=tournament

Josh Hazlewood ranked 15

In the Australian side....No Bias there. Should never have been picked and his performances over the last 3 year proves that that is his ranking

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=12018;type=tournament

Chris Tremain Ranked No 1

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/sheffield-shield-2016-17/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=11375;type=tournament

Chris Tremain Ranked No 3

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/sheffield-shield-2015-16/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=10265;type=tournament

Chris Tremain Ranked No 5

Just shows Chris Tremain just gets better and better. AS I SAID JOSH HAZLEWOOD NEVER ACHIEVED
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

well done cummins giving us a chance with the weather

incredible test by him
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 29 Dec 2018 6:22 PM
City Sam - 29 Dec 2018 6:16 PM

ha ha Sam.

Done it! Now pray for a washout tomorrow. But only  after Cummo completes his century.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 29 Dec 2018 6:26 PM
well done cummins giving us a chance with the weather

incredible test by him

My MOM.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Cummins has correct technique, he plays with a straight bat, defends the good balls and punishes the bad ball. That is test match batting. It is going to be hard for him tomorrow but he could get a century if Lyon can hang around for a while. Lyon has good technique in general as well. 
If you look at how Finch got out, an angled bat, Cummins and Lyon play those balls with a straight bat.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Hazlewood never completed a full season. He was having bone stress trouble about that time. Bit hard to top the wicket tally when you dont play all 10 matches. 
I said he has a good FC record and he does.

MatInnsBallsRunsWktsBBIBBMAveEconSR4w5w

761411517171172856/509/13624.972.8153.2107

Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Test_Fan - 29 Dec 2018 6:32 PM
Cummins has correct technique, he plays with a straight bat, defends the good balls and punishes the bad ball. That is test match batting. It is going to be hard for him tomorrow but he could get a century if Lyon can hang around for a while. Lyon has good technique in general as well. 
If you look at how Finch got out, an angled bat, Cummins and Lyon play those balls with a straight bat.

Cummins is a top all rounder, the perfect replacement for M Johnson in every aspect and Lyons the perfect Night watchman, reminds me of Jason Gillespie. But duck boy to follow. If only Australia had bowled better in India's first innings. 7/450 was far too much in my humble opinion. 100 runs less it would be interesting.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 29 Dec 2018 6:42 PM
Test_Fan - 29 Dec 2018 6:32 PM

Cummins is a top all rounder, the perfect replacement for M Johnson in every aspect and Lyons the perfect Night watchman, reminds me of Jason Gillespie. But duck boy to follow. If only Australia had bowled better in India's first innings. 7/450 was far too much in my humble opinion. 100 runs less it would be interesting.

Cummins has a better technique than Johnson. A good hitter with a terrific eye was Johnno. Cummo looks a proper batsman. His batting time when injured was very well spent.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 29 Dec 2018 6:39 PM
MikeR - 29 Dec 2018 6:24 PM

He never completed a full season. Bit hard to top the wicket tally when you dont play all 10 matches. 
I said he has a good FC record and he does.

MatInnsBallsRunsWktsBBIBBMAveEconSR4w5w

761411517171172856/509/13624.972.8153.2107

Don't quote stats unless you know what they mean Baggers. FC stats include Tests and if you eliminate test they don't match Chris Tremain, actually I'll go even further Josh Hazlewood has only played 32 sheffield shield games yet how many were prior to his selection in 2014

19 matches prior to selection for Josh Hazlewood 19 matches 66/1788 av 27.09 (3.5 wickets per match sounding familiar) Actually 19 matches for 66 wickets I really never knew that. That you have to admit is paltry return Baggers. Like really! That get you selected in the Australian side? Dear me, OH to be a NSW player, and I'm not kidding I genuinely am blown away by that, and you know I have been around the development side of the game. No wonder players get disillusioned with the game. Is that how bias CA is!!! That is really saddening for myself, you will never know how much so. 

Chris Tremain his overall career 52 matches 204/4832 av 23.68 (3.9 wickets per match)

Big difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As I said Baggers you have to know what stats represent. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by MikeR
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search