Who is Australia’s current fastest bowler

Who is Australia’s current fastest bowler

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I’m watching some Mickey Mouse 20/20 ATM.

A new bowler has emerged as probably our fastest bowler. I have watched Mickey Mouse cricket to gauge his speed.

Unlike many Mickey Mouse bowlers who only bowl 4 overs, this guy plays Shield cricket and has stamina.

He has bowled 150kph with the wind and 146kph into it, plus some 120kph slower balls.

He is really impressing Phil Tufnell , Ricky Ponting and Brett Lee.

He would frighten the life out of India being decidedly quicker than Bumrah.

Who is it?
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 30 Dec 2018 7:50 PM
I’m watching some Mickey Mouse 20/20 ATM. A new bowler has emerged as probably our fastest bowler. I have watched Mickey Mouse cricket to gauge his speed. Unlike many Mickey Mouse bowlers who only bowl 4 overs, this guy plays Shield cricket and has stamina. He has bowled 150kph with the wind and 146kph into it, plus some 120kph slower balls. He is really impressing Phil Tufnell , Ricky Ponting and Brett Lee. He would frighten the life out of India being decidedly quicker than Bumrah. Who is it?

Riley Meredith
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Test_Fan - 30 Dec 2018 9:02 PM

Riley Meredith

Correct!

I knew he was fast from watching him in the Shield - easily the quickest at Bellerive this season, including  James Pattinson. Probably the quickest since Mitchell Johnson bowled some angry spells in the Shield not long before he retired. Jhye Rickadrson was playing Mickey Mouse cricket when West Aus played Tassie in the Shield this season.

I'd be inclined to pick Meredith for Sydney.

Meredith took two wickets in one over -  bowling one batter for pace and had another caught behind from an outswinger at about 146kph.  One of the  batters he dismissed was Cameron Bancroft.

Brett Lee loves his outswinger. Having only seen Meredith recorded for about 7 deliveries on the speed gun, he could be the quickest in world cricket ATM - particularly for bowlers who have the stamina to bowl FC and Test cricket. Jofra Archer and Billy Stanlake bowl very fast too, but do they even play FC cricket?  

Meredith has stamina, from playing Shield cricket. He has had some recent 3-4 wicket hauls in an innings. He is not gun barrel straight, but swings it.

He might struggle against left handers, but ATM he has at least the pace of Starc, more accuracy than Starc, and makes any other bowler  in the series on both teams look like pop guns, including Bumra, who can't bowl as fast as Meredith.

Lee and Ponting like his smooth, side on action. Tuffers is simply blown out by him! Shane Warne has also been raving about  him. 

From left field, no batter enjoys fast accurate out swingers ( to right handers) and short balls at the speed Meredith is bowling at, plus he has effective slower balls. George Bailey, his recent former captain has been raving about him for a while.

I'd be inclined to select him for Sydney for the last Test and drop either the fatigued Hazlewood or the equally fatigued Starc. Just let him bowl three over spells. He could frighten the life out of India. He is only 21 or 22 as well.

We can't win the series. What do we have to lose?

Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Certainly one to watch.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Decentric - 30 Dec 2018 10:12 PM
Test_Fan - 30 Dec 2018 9:02 PM

Correct!

I knew he was fast from watching him in the Shield - easily the quickest at Bellerive this season, including  James Pattinson. Probably the quickest since Mitchell Johnson bowled some angry spells in the Shield not long before he retired. Jhye Rickadrson was playing Mickey Mouse cricket when West Aus played Tassie in the Shield this season.

I'd be inclined to pick Meredith for Sydney.

Meredith took two wickets in one over -  bowling one batter for pace and had another caught behind from an outswinger at about 146kph.  One of the  batters he dismissed was Cameron Bancroft.

Brett Lee loves his outswinger. Having only seen Meredith recorded for about 7 deliveries on the speed gun, he could be the quickest in world cricket ATM - particularly for bowlers who have the stamina to bowl FC and Test cricket. Jofra Archer and Billy Stanlake bowl very fast too, but do they even play FC cricket?  

Meredith has stamina, from playing Shield cricket. He has had some recent 3-4 wicket hauls in an innings. He is not gun barrel straight, but swings it.

He might struggle against left handers, but ATM he has at least the pace of Starc, more accuracy than Starc, and makes any other bowler  in the series on both teams look like pop guns, including Bumra, who can't bowl as fast as Meredith.

Lee and Ponting like his smooth, side on action. Tuffers is simply blown out by him! Shane Warne has also been raving about  him. 

From left field, no batter enjoys fast accurate out swingers ( to right handers) and short balls at the speed Meredith is bowling at, plus he has effective slower balls. George Bailey, his recent former captain has been raving about him for a while.

I'd be inclined to select him for Sydney for the last Test and drop either the fatigued Hazlewood or the equally fatigued Starc. Just let him bowl three over spells. He could frighten the life out of India. He is only 21 or 22 as well.

We can't win the series. What do we have to lose?

With due respect, Bumrah isn't India's fastest bowler - Varun Aaron surely still is... plus their  kids rising through the ranks (they had 2 guys bowling at 145plus in the u19 over a year ago...) and then there's players like Siraj - but he has no stamina...

And there's plenty - I mean plenty of 150km/h pacemen around in cricket around the world right now... raw pace doesn't trouble good top order batsmen (the bouncer is only a wicket taking ball when the batsman stuffs up)... 

And yes - Archer plays FC cricket... a lot of it... nearly 30 games in 2.5 seasons... He becomes eligible for England next year...

Edited
6 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Paddles - 31 Dec 2018 12:39 AM
Decentric - 30 Dec 2018 10:12 PM

With due respect, Bumrah isn't India's fastest bowler - Varun Aaron surely still is... plus their  kids rising through the ranks (they had 2 guys bowling at 145plus in the u19 over a year ago...) and then there's players like Siraj - but he has no stamina...

And there's plenty - I mean plenty of 150km/h pacemen around in cricket around the world right now... raw pace doesn't trouble good top order batsmen (the bouncer is only a wicket taking ball when the batsman stuffs up)... 

And yes - Archer plays FC cricket... a lot of it... nearly 30 games in 2.5 seasons... He becomes eligible for England next year...

Pace is India'a achiles heel. Watch how they reacted when Cummins cranked it up to almost express. They looked very uncomfortable. This is why I have been scathing of Starc.. He hits 145+ regularly. He should be using that speed to put the fear of god into India not a couple of times a session but 20 even 30 times. With his elevation he has the weapon to smack thunderbolts in at the body. But he wastes so many short balls with his perpetual waywardness. 
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 1 Jan 2019 8:28 PM
Paddles - 31 Dec 2018 12:39 AM

Pace is India'a achiles heel. Watch how they reacted when Cummins cranked it up to almost express. They looked very uncomfortable. This is why I have been scathing of Starc.. He hits 145+ regularly. He should be using that speed to put the fear of god into India not a couple of times a session but 20 even 30 times. With his elevation he has the weapon to smack thunderbolts in at the body. But he wastes so many short balls with his perpetual waywardness. 

Nah - swing and seam is... They couldn't care less about pace...
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Getting back to this topic I read that Starc average 147 kph over the whole series against India.

I'm gobsmacked ! This is one of fastest average speeds of all time over a four  Test series. They must have occurred in a lot of of spells Starc bowled when I wasn't watching.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Australia's answer to Bumrah has already been identified. Good pace, accuracy and control. His follow through is a bit dusty...

https://twitter.com/c_u_r_t_o

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 10 Jan 2019 4:43 PM
Australia's answer to Bumrah has already been identified. Good pace, accuracy and control. His follow through is a bit dusty...

https://twitter.com/c_u_r_t_o

LOL!
imtiaz
imtiaz
Under 7s
Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)Under 7s (1 reputation)

M Johnson. 
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

imtiaz - 29 Jan 2019 9:01 PM

M Johnson. 

Lol
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

I’m watching some Mickey Mouse 20/20 ATM. A new bowler has emerged as probably our fastest bowler. I have watched Mickey Mouse cricket to gauge his speed. Unlike many Mickey Mouse bowlers who only bowl 4 overs, this guy plays Shield cricket and has stamina. He has bowled 150kph with the wind and 146kph into it, plus some 120kph slower balls. He is really impressing Phil Tufnell , Ricky Ponting and Brett Lee. He would frighten the life out of India being decidedly quicker than Bumrah. Who is it?

DC Without looking at replies.. has to be your boy Meredith.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 30 Jan 2019 8:03 AM

DC Without looking at replies.. has to be your boy Meredith.

Woops just realised this is an old thread.

Wonder if there are any other speedsters coming thru? I was impressed by the pace of Ashton Agar's brother a few years back. What has happened to him?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Starc is the fastest  in terms of being abe to sustain express speed over long periods.
ricky19
ricky19
Under 7s
Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)Under 7s (3 reputation)

Decentric - 3 Feb 2019 9:17 AM
Starc is the fastest  in terms of being abe to sustain express speed over long periods.

I second your opinion, Starc is the fastest one.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

ricky19 - 8 Feb 2019 4:46 PM

Starc is not a natural express bowler. His breaking down after his thunderbolt spell in Canberra bears out that.

Riley Meredith looks a natural express bowler.. something like Brett Lee was.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 10 Feb 2019 1:15 PM

Starc is not a natural express bowler. His breaking down after his thunderbolt spell in Canberra bears out that.

Riley Meredith looks a natural express bowler.. something like Brett Lee was.

I dunno about this. I've finally seen him bowl, and he was bowling 140's. If he aint going to bowl 150 for 4 overs, I wouldn't expect much from him for 20 overs a day like Starc has been producing v SL...

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Welcome to the forum, Ricky.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 11 Feb 2019 12:39 PM
baggygreenmania - 10 Feb 2019 1:15 PM

I dunno about this. I've finally seen him bowl, and he was bowling 140's. If he aint going to bowl 150 for 4 overs, I wouldn't expect much from him for 20 overs a day like Starc has been producing v SL...

I think Meredith had had a lay off before his most recent spell.

The day I saw him, he bowled  a few at 150 kph, and others over 145 in two overs.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

A newbie. Welcome Ricky. Call me Baggers.

Starc has paid for his step up in pace with a injury that could harm his WC prep. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 13 Feb 2019 10:19 AM
Paddles - 11 Feb 2019 12:39 PM

I think Meredith had had a lay off before his most recent spell.

The day I saw him, he bowled  a few at 150 kph, and others over 145 in two overs.

I am with DC. Meredith looks like a genuine express bowler. His easy lope to the crease reminds me somewhat of Brett Lee.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 14 Feb 2019 10:41 AM
Decentric - 13 Feb 2019 10:19 AM

I am with DC. Meredith looks like a genuine express bowler. His easy lope to the crease reminds me somewhat of Brett Lee.

Lee was an athlete, who in my opinion charged in, jumped high, and gave his chuck everything he had...

:P

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

A mate I went out drinking with last night, watched BBL the night before, live at the Bellerive venue. He said  Meredith bowled one ball at 153.6 kph!

I'm not sure  what Starc's fastest ball of the season is, but Meredith has to be the second fastest bowler in Aus at least, if not the world!

I saw Jofra Archer bowl one ball at 148kph in BBL.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 16 Feb 2019 11:34 AM
A mate I went out drinking with last night, watched BBL the night before, live at the Bellerive venue. He said  Meredith bowled one ball at 153.6 kph!

I'm not sure  what Starc's fastest ball of the season is, but Meredith has to be the second fastest bowler in Aus at least, if not the world!

I saw Jofra Archer bowl one ball at 148kph in BBL.

You didn't read about Mark Wood's return test? He's bowling well over 150k in tests.  Shannon Gabriel's breaking over 150k in tests also with regular and repeated ease. Lockie Ferguson cranks it up to 155k in odi.

If we're including domestic bowlers like Meredith, there's former intls Adam Milne and Varun Aaron. 

I'd still take Rabada over the lot of them who has dropped his pace down.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 16 Feb 2019 4:33 PM

You didn't read about Mark Wood's return test? He's bowling well over 150k in tests.  Shannon Gabriel's breaking over 150k in tests also with regular and repeated ease. Lockie Ferguson cranks it up to 155k in odi.

If we're including domestic bowlers like Meredith, there's former intls Adam Milne and Varun Aaron. 

I read about Wood frequently reaching 150 kph, but not over it.

I've seen Gabriel clock 149 kph a few times.

Who does Lockie Ferguson play for?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I doubt Varun Aaron is bowling as fast as he was, as India would've surely selected him for Test cricket if he was still at his former speed .

I've also seen Milne clock 149KPH in ODIs, but it seems he does not have the stamina for long form cricket.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

It seems to be the case with Cummins too, who has become more successful by dropping his speed.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 26 Feb 2019 8:59 AM

I doubt Varun Aaron is bowling as fast as he was, as India would've surely selected him for Test cricket if he was still at his former speed .

I've also seen Milne clock 149KPH in ODIs, but it seems he does have the stamina for long form cricket.

Why would India pick him? He's nowhere near as good as Shami, Kumar, Bumrah or Sharma. And he's behind Yadav as well.

Milne's fastest ball in ODI cricket is like 155 kph. But here you can watch him bowl build upto 153.2 kph. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mTi_OcZU60

Milne is too injury prone for red ball cricket.

Kuggeleijn got it up to 150 in a t20 vs India as well. But that may be the fastest ball ever ball he bowls. He's normally fast, but not as fast Milne and Lockie.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 26 Feb 2019 8:56 AM

I read about Wood frequently reaching 150 kph, but not over it.

I've seen Gabriel clock 149 kph a few times.

Who does Lockie Ferguson play for?

Wood peaked at 151 in the second odi vs WI. Gabriel has no issue going past 150 globally.

Lockie Ferguson plays for NZ limited overs and KKR. While there are many calls for him to get into the test team, there's just no spots with Boult, Southee and Wagner propelling NZ to #2 in the test rankings right now.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/player/493773.html

His fastest was clocked 2 years ago at 155. He breaks over 150 several times a game, and is odten still hovering around 150 in the 50th over.

Speed is fun for the fans, and its nice to see the batsman hopping around, but there's no substitute for controlled line and length with the variable of lateral movement off the seam or swing. That gets cheap wickets, pace well Mohammad Sami had pace to burn, and a bowling average of over 50.

But there's certainly new global crop of quicks coming through, England are excited by Olly Stone's pace (i am yet to see him play) and the West Indians appear to be building up an arsenal of quicks, more than just Gabriel. There are hopes from Carribean fans than Oshane Thomas and Alzarri Joseph will get quicker yet. Man mountain Oshane hit 150 as a 20 year old in the CPL and 150.4 in 1st odi and 150.6 in the 2nd odi v England.

And SA, not content with Steyn, Ngidi, Rabada, and Olivier are debuting a new slippery man vs SL in the ODI called Anrich Nortje who's meant to be pacey. T20 does appear to be encouraging more and more to bowl very quick globally and not just take up wrist spin.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search